Sign in to follow this  
Hammer & Sickle

Tank foxholes

OK, this has probably been asked before, so please try not to decapitate me if I'm wasting bandwidth; also this is my first post in this area (all new and scary) so please advise me as to what I'm doing wrong. But anyway:

Recently I was messing around in the mission editor, attempting to place tanks in hull-down positions (and finding it impossible). My thoughts turned to the foxhole pack I recall being released some time ago, and I began to wonder: is it possible to build a similar addon, say a firing pit, for tanks? It'd be a great addition, I think, because it would at last allow tanks to be used effectively in defence - at the moment it's far too easy for the enemy to hit them!

Add sandbag walls around them, that'll work nicely smile_o.gif

-To your question, no I don't think there are.. Though I could be wrong.

You can't really make foxholes or trenches in OFP, so I dont think its possible. The best you can do is make some 'fake terrain' through an addon editor that has raised walls for the tank to sit behind. But the game wouldnt detect this 'fake terrain' as terrain, but an actualy object, so you'd have to find a way to make it invincible or you'd end up with smoking terrain thats flipped over on its side.

The only example I've really seen of this is a Falkands mod, Conflict de Mavenas or something like that, that had a trench. But when hit by enough shells and artillery, it crumples like the average OFP paper doll and smokes, as well as flip vertically.

Battling's WW2 Fighting positions have a nice firing pos. for tanks. The M1's turret just makes it over the embankment, and AI will fire over it.

I dont have an URL for ya though.... Kinda in a rush. If i got time I'll post it.

B's addon is wonderfull though, it comes with an 88 position, which can make a great firing wall for infantry, as well as the MG pit. I remember finding it over at OFPnews.com, but I could be wrong

The tank position is in essance a 3/4 wood box with dirt built up on the sides. It has sandbags lining the top. The textures are also high caliber. An M1 will fit in it almost perfect, except for a little bit of its rear sticking out. If you got trouble having the turret come over the wall, just setpos the "bunker" down a meter or so.

[...]But the game wouldnt detect this 'fake terrain' as terrain, but an actualy object, so you'd have to find a way to make it invincible or you'd end up with smoking terrain thats flipped over on its side.

[...]

maybe in cpp Armor=100000000000000 ? tounge_o.gif

who would have time and such amount of ammo to destroy that  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

and you could always try to mess with "destrType" wink_o.gif

dammage=no

in config would do it aswell wink_o.gif

Maybe then adding some hidden selections + hitpoints to

keep the options to at least destroy parts of the whole

object then.

~S~ CD

Been trying to make a script for my CEV to move to a location

and create a "scrape", basically just a dirt berm piled up for a tank to get hulldown behind, but keep screwing up the placement <scripting is NOT something I do a lot>

Will keep at it.

Battling's WW2 Fighting positions have a nice firing pos. for tanks.  The M1's turret just makes it over the embankment, and AI will fire over it.

Very true...

Artillery270404.jpg

Looks like those soldiers are compensating for something....yeah...

Gos well with your sig. Russian with binocs looking down at it.

Thanks for pointing out that bunker pack guys! biggrin_o.gif

Thanks very much everyone! That tank position's excellent...had a good firefight with four dug-in SIG T-80Bs versus 4 SIG M1s and 4 WGL M2A1s...we (the Russians) won smile_o.gif

Must be hard to drive a tank into that without it bouncing around everywhere.

You could give the addon an init EH that runs a script that detects if a tank is attempting to enter the foxhole. Upon detection, a setpos loop would automatically drive the tank nicely (and exactly) into position, --kinda like the airport taxi lanes.

Then when player wants to back out, using foxholes direction and some vel checks (maybe some trig) it could detect if player is trying to leave and do the same to help him/her back out.

Just an idea.

Zay

smile_o.gif

y dont people just make a trench when they actualy make the island? so it wouldnt crumble? Or would it? rock.gif

The problem with putting a trench in when they make the island is, what if you don't want a trench. A trench just out in the middle of no where would be kind of awkward.

@Swan[ORCS]

they look great! but one question: will they only have that texture? i mean it looks to me like the everon texture, so u can only put that trench on everontexturusing islands or on everon?

These are screens of experimental addons. The most simple textures are used.

It is planned to make island with entrenchments.

Also it is planned to publish some models in a MLOD-format without textures (for MOD-developers). That they could use addons with the necessary textures.

@Swan....Looks great ...can't wait to see your finished product ....Keep up the good work biggrin_o.gif

The only issue I have with a tank foxhole is the fact that when I'm taking out a tank, say with an RPG or LAW, is the fact that the first thing you aim for is the gun....

hitting the hull is a bad thing, unless you have a one-shot kill weapon like the AT3/Gustav or something, but I rarely bother with those one-shot weapons, can't carry enough rockets.