Sign in to follow this  
BBSmith

Drive D (My Secondary Drive is GONE!) HELP!

I dont know what I did, it just suddendly went poof lol.

I have a C: Drive of 40GB

And a D Drive of 80GB (Majority of my programs)

I turn on my computer and most of my desktop icons are boxes, (Look-a-like Window). Then I figure out that my D Drive in Innaccessible from Control panel. It was there a few days ago. (I have been away from my cpu for a few days now). So I get to come back home to a good little present and find my computer is wack. I ran a norton antivirus, spybot thing. Nothing came up that helped me.

Any Ideas? Thanks a Mill

If you're using Windows XP you could perhaps use the System Restore function (if you haven't turned it off before).

if you arent too worried about checking the cables inside, check that none have become loose or have fallen out, unlikely as it may seem it has happened to me, just be sure you have turned off your PC and grounded yourself. just a matter of making sure they are all in correctly

I would check cables first too. Else you could check for hidden partitions.

Ya heat and vibrations cause the cables to work themselves out,very common.

I would check the cables

I lost my A drive awhile back, bah, I don't know how to get it back.

A: Would be the floppy drive correct ? There not that expensive...

A is floopy drive by default.

For D drive problem, maybe it D-activated itself? tounge_o.gif

i'd suggest checking cables first too. if that is not the problem, maybe internal componenet went haywire.

Who really needs a floppy driver?

Me for transferring small files (my network connection isn't working properly)...

Me for transferring small files (my network connection isn't working properly)...

I would recommend you to by a USB memory stick.. They don't cost many dollars.

i need it for installing my sata harddisk

Burn the drivers or whatever to a cd ;)

Out of pure principal I don't use floppy-disks anymore.

Use CDs, DVDs or a mem-stick for everything these days.

Regarding BBSmith's issue:

Check cables. Check disk-administrator (if OK then FAT is bust=repartition and reformat).

If not OK, then buy a new drive and throw the old in the bin.

I haven't used a Floppy in years.....and haven't even had one on my machine for 18 months. Yet XP insists on showing an A drive in Explorer. It's just "inaccessable" (probably because it's in a cardboard box several metres away from the PC). smile_o.gif

No floppy drives on any of our 4 computers either,those things are so unreliable and medieval.

Does make it difficult when I work on older computers.

Normally I would just burn something on a CDR or CDRW to transfer without the network.

Last laptop I had didn't come with a floppy either,boo to floppy drives

I recall the old days ,I could back something up on several floppies,hide it in the closet,but when you went to use them,they were spent,I hate floppy discs

I would check the cables when you lose your drives,if the reason its gone is because you think its dead, normally the drive would have gotten noisy before its death,often locking the computer up.I have seen several hard disks die in my lifetime.If it just disappeared, usually the cables or controller IO conflict

Burn the drivers or whatever to a cd ;)

no that dont work for me  wink_o.gif

i had no a drive for month but since i got my sata drive i was forced to reinstall my old floppy.

sata drive is my system drive so i need a floppy because win xp pro can´t install the needed drivers from cd or from my (bootable) usb stick.

@BBSmith's

how old is your harddrive?

maybe you have still warranty rock.gif

Well the harddrive is only about 2 years old.

I have just dusted everything out of my computer, Pulled and pushed all the cords out and in. Still have problems.

Another thing I MIGHT add I guess is the fact that there is some kinda FAT32 message when I turn on my computer (It appear on the screen, [like when you turn off your computer properly and it scans the drives for you], when it appears on the screen the next word is Drive C though, so I dont see the relation.

I think the best possible way is to reformat. But lets say I dont have any master disks or anything for my computer to be restored (I think I have some in my attic but digging them out can be a hassle.) With my D Drive, All I have to do is My Computer > Hover my Mouse over drive D, RIGHT click and I have only 2 options, one of which is to format. But I want to make a backup copy of my Quickin 2002, but when trying to make a CD I get "Cannot Complete" or even start making a CD because I get an error and I have 300mb's of family pictures on the computer also, what can I do?

Is this the work of a virus? Norton didnt see to catch anything

Well the harddrive is only about 2 years old.

Send it back to the manufacturer they will take a look at it and have the right tools for it wink_o.gif

But now you say drive d: is showing up within windows?

Do you have any Norton Utilities (Systemworks or such)?

I would use anything but norton.

Also there are lowlevel tools from most harddrive vendors on their sites, just go to the maker of your harddrive and try that tool to search for and mark bad blocks.

I will format it in the near future. My Quickin Program and Pictures are in C Drive and Formatting my D Drive may see fit. If I send it to the company, they will just format it anyway. So if there is still a problem after format, I will send it in.