Sign in to follow this  
.granQ.

Reaction during enemy fire?

Short description:

Make Ai and players "fear" incoming fire and react more true. This created increasing the soldiers "breathing" when under fire or other negative events we want to make the human less accurate. Like in ofp1 if you run for 5 min and then stop it is harder to aim.

We want same effect if you comes under enemy fire.

Long description:

Me, shar, and RM has discussed this part some now.

This discussion started very simple and growed to very complexed "how the ai should handle the reactions on the battlefield"

but i will start were we started.

The "problem" is simple, you have a machine gun, you fire covering fire at a great distance at the enemy around 400 meters away. You spray the bullets since you can't really see the enemy, you just know they are around, or that you should suppress that area for your assualt squad mates.

On the enemy side what will happen?

In real life, people would go primary for cover, if they will drilled maybe they would fire them into cover, that means, fire some bullets towards the area from the incoming fire comes from and try to move into cover.

In ofp, same goes for ai and human. First reaction, lay down then fire, if human most probaly he knows he has some time to get off the first killing bullet if he just keeps head cool.

And this is the problem, a machinegun should spray covering fire... supporting troops. Not make the enemy more aware of you and get the first deadly shoots.

How to solve it?

Well, the easy part would be just to script ai behaviour. Like in ofp1 if you fire at the ai, it "notice" the increased threat and most of the time it would lay down.

This isn't good enough, for two big reason.

1) the ai stays in the open

2) the ai doesn't feel the fear and could very easy fire back with deadly accurcy.

Also, this is often goes same for humans, since a human player often have better chance against a machinegun at long distance.

So how do we want to solve it.

Our idea is very simple, as you noticed that after you run in ofp it is harder to aim, you hear your breathing, and you weapon isn't as steady as when you have rested for a while.

This would create a reason for human players to actually move into cover since it would be harder to kill someone under fire.

This effect could be upgraded with many things, making it as complexed you want, but complexed things all "coders" hate, keep it simple is the key ;)

but of course the "breathing" should increase alot if you comes under fire from a bmp1.. and be like nothing if somone fires with pistol.

This might be a very long post.. but thanks for reading.

Excellent idea. They should react, maybe somehow alter how they flee, to make them take cover. The problem now is there isn't a way to detect which objects you can take cover behind, and which you can't (AFAIK all the methods tried nearestobject). OFP2 would need a way to define an object as either soft or hard cover, so the AI knows what type of cover to hide behind at certain times.

This is what OFP is missing. If I shoot 200 bullets from a SAW at someone, they should try to take some cover.

Excellent idea! Increase the "shakyness" when you are under fire or when you are close to an enemy (running round a corner, suddenly standing face to face with one). If the shakyness could be reduced when in cover it would be nice, but it would be great even without it.

It would really make covering fire meaningful and provide a realistic way to make the snipers less powerful.

The level of training should also affect this. A rookie will panic more than a badass blackop.

Go for it. Even if it's not included in the game, someone should make a mod for it!

Yeah I like this idea alot, hope something similar at least will be taken under consideration by BIS.

I personally like it when I sprint and stop when I have to fire only to have a rather shacky aim.

Sometimes I actually "freak out" biggrin_o.gif lol can`t hit anything tounge_o.gif

How about making the soldiers talk during taking fire like, "we're taking fire!" instead of over the radio though make it direct chat so that it kinda is low if they're far away and stuff like that.

How about making the soldiers talk during taking fire like, "we're taking fire!" instead of over the radio though make it direct chat so that it kinda is low if they're far away and stuff like that.

yes that might be a good idea. But it should be under a diffrent topic..

this is just about how making the machine gunners usefull in a more real way, not like a PK "sniper" that often kills you in coop, or a machinegunner that can't hit.. but how to best create a suppresing machinegun fire.

Good suggestion. Obviously "covering fire" is badly handled in OFP1. I would really appreciate the AI to hide or rush for cover when fully under fire instead of keeping firing while fully exposed to enemy fire.

While suggesting things, I would vote for a better "management" of unofficial addons and mods. I would love to see an efficient (made in BIS) addon manager that would automatically offer me the opportunity to download a missing *.pbo file while starting a third party mission.

Unofficial addons and missions are probably the key to the lasting success of OFP1 because BIS provided good pieces of software to design missions and addons. However, it is too often a nightmare to collect all the required files to have a third party mission to work properly on an OFP server for instance. sad_o.gif

Waiting for OFP2 ... but still enjoying OFP1 on a weekly basis wink_o.gif

Soldiers shouldn't be talking during firefights, they should be shouting and screaming. They have to say things like: "Walker, fire on these enemies from the right" instead of saying "3, target MAN 4 o'clock, 300".

Most professional armys would actually be giving out fire control orders such as

100 metres centre of axis base of tree etc

section commanders would also be giving out fire control orders as well.

Anyway more importantly i agree it would immerse the player a lot more if you heard more screaming rather than the radio droning as thorugh theyre on a shooting range as well as suppressing fire working better. Also while suppressed i wish the AI wouldnt just run round and round like headless chickens and just get slotted

I think that the player should be made really inaccurate during a firefight just as AI should. If youve ever sprinted faster than you ever have for 10 metres dropped down and tried to shoot accurately youll realise how inaccurate you can be

I think that there shouldn't be a radio on each man at all in OFP2. Maybe a small one for important messages. I really hate the "2 o'clock, man 200" message.

Especially when you are fighting with some unexperienced and untrained Resistance fighters, there should be panic, panic and panic! crazy_o.gif