Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

Bi forum ofp summer olympics: 2004

(Forgive the spelling errors and possible rambling, it's 2:52 AM as I'm writing this. biggrin_o.gif )

For the past couple weeks I've been bouncing this idea around in my head, and the few people I've told it to have thought it was a good, even a "splendid"  wink_o.gif idea.

Basically, here is the rundown:

Several events, can be both fun and serious, where teams will take part in.  Such as boat racing (bobsledding tounge_o.gif) down the North East slopes of Nogova.  Small circut races.  Land navagation across the diverse areas of Operation Flashpoint.  Five hundred meter, or more distance, dashes across mine ridden, obstacle filled, booby trapped plains.

Since we've got the diversity to do it, each team will be determined by general location, or country.

Servers don't seem to be a problem, I already know of two people/squads that would most likely use their server for a day or more for such an event.

So, what do you think?  Would you participate?  What kind of events would you like to see?

even a "spledid"  wink_o.gif idea.

If you look closer you'll see I put an n in the middle wink_o.gif

I would want to participate in some fun race maps. Depending on the time they take place.

I could even ask if you can have the server where I play for a day.

3 A.M. and a little tipsy... yup, American Student all the way! biggrin_o.gif

navigation: give them empty rifles. that way others don't have to wait for jogging to end. also, maybe adding some intermediate objectives might help. for example, having two teams, one Res, other West, both start out from Nogova airfiled, and have to make their way to certain points while completeing some objectives along the way. objectives may or may not be same, but preferably with in 100 meters of each other. instead of fragging each other, they can have one flag bearer who is in charge of touching the pole after compelteing the objective.

military excercise:

1)probably something like give an objective, finish it ASAP type of deal. just count the time. or, some sort of objective, with 10 minutes to plan, and then let the others choose MO.

2)smaller version of obstacle running and shooting combined. pop up targets would help. should include large area, urban areas.

I like the idea too!

I'd like to see a sniping event, or even group of events:

-Hitting a target, 1 shot 1 kill from a far distance

-Hitting a group of targets from a moderate distance, 100% accuracy with 100% kills, quickest time wins (or along those lines)

-Stealth, tested by sneaking through a certain obstacle course, going by a few players looking for them from fixed positions, with 1 player in contact on the move searching for the sniper

These sorts of ideas could be expanded into a great many things.

Some off the top of my head:

Grenadier challenges

Hand grenade challenges

Rocket launcher challenges

Helicopter flight challenges

etc biggrin_o.gif

Is that along the lines you were thinking?

Asmo

We need jungle navigation, it's no challenge otherwise!

let the games begin...

I think a "navigation course" would be hard to implement, but combined with a scavenger hunt, it may work...

I'm in for any:

Grenadier challenges: Destroy a moving civilian on a bicycle.

Rocket launcher: Destroy a moving bmp.

Long distance sniping.

And maybe a air race using the bis camel with limited ammo. wink_o.gif

What about good old fashioned orienteering?

What about good old fashioned orienteering?

That is possibly how the landnav will be. smile_o.gif You get your compass and map, and gotta get from place to place on your own, or your team members.

here are my ideas for possible event

athletism/races :

Landnav race

drill obstacles races

combat obstacles race

*athlon (several objectives to fullfill on your way to the finnish line with maybe some biking, obstacle race and landnav)

obstacle relay race

motorsports :

motorbikes race

rally (could be landnav in an offroad car)

boat race

relay race (1 part on a motorbike, biker passes on sport car driver who then passes on seaman who then passes on trabant driver)

shooting :

sharpshooting (various distances)

"ball trap" (having to hit either a moving human target from afar or to stop a moving car by neutralising it with really few ammo (3 shots at max))

other sports :

biking

climbing

and all the other ideas proposed before but not listed

na, orienteering without map! i know the BIS isles better than the area around here in germany...

I second the idea of a sniper/sharpshooting contest. Maybe combine it with a land-nav exercise so that you have to locate, move to, set up, stalk and kill a target within a time limit.

Here's a strange idea: a treasure hunt mission.

Two teams. Big island. Lots of hints. One treasure to find. Everyone has a gun.

edit: or maybe you have to find guns as well, along the way.

Each time one team finds a clue, the other team's next clue will become more difficult than it would have had they found it first.

Lots of room for mayhem.

na, orienteering without map! i know the BIS isles better than the area around here in germany...

plz with map, yet not all members have lost their sense for real world tounge_o.gif

the whole concept sounds a bit like an ironman contest

i´d love to see the ofp olypics happen and/or to participate in it.

btw: you could also include a hardcore navigation mission w/o compass so you gotta look at the stars ghostface.gif

Each time one team finds a clue, the other team's next clue will become more difficult than it would have had they found it first.

Lots of room for mayhem.

Fantastic idea. I like it!

Oh and regarding the orienteering, maybe, if we’re lucky someone might be working on a new island that could be completed around the same time as the Olympics. That would be ideal to use. If not, It wouldn't be too hard to create a new map and throw a bunch of woods, roads, rocks, trees and lakes in it.

Lots of room for mayhem.

that sounds like ex-ronins "fairy island" converted to a TDM map, i like it smile_o.gif