Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

War music

Some of my favorite music comes form war movies, and war video games. Personally I like the music from the Longest Day, and the Great Escape. Game wise it has to be MOH, and yes the Seventh music in OFP. What do you guys like? I need some more uhh "war" tunes to listen to, you know while I pretend to be a soldier fighting the evil enimies of America. So some suggestions for me are welcome.

I like Hans Zimmer's music. He has done the soundtracks for movies like The thin red line, Pearl harbour, Tears of the sun, The last Samurai, Gladiator etc..

I have to echo Llauma's Has Zimmer sentiments. I particularly liked the stuff he did for Black Hawk Down - Gritty, intense.

As for other composers, I find that James Horner's musical score from Glory is a favorite.

Hans Zimmer hands down, although John Williams is also a good movie composer. I agree that the MOH theme tune is very good too blues.gif

As for other composers, I find that James Horner's musical score from Glory is a favorite.

Yes, he is great too. I like the Enemy at the gates soundtrack too.

The best song by Zimmer is God yu tekem laef blong mi. I think it's some south pacific language but I have no idea what it means.

I have almost all the Hans Zimmer soundtracks including a rare version of the song Llauma mentioned. It is sung by the native tribes on Guadalcanal in pidgin english and sounds excellent.

I think that translates to: "God, my life belongs to you to take."

Yes, he is great too. I like the Enemy at the gates soundtrack too.

The best song by Zimmer is God yu tekem laef blong mi. I think it's some south pacific language but I have no idea what it means.

It's pidgin English/Melenesian. It roughly means "God, you take a life that belongs to me."

I think the whole Thin Red Line soundtrack is brilliant - as is the accompanying CD of Melenesian choir songs.

Edit: Whoops, Schoeler beat me to it. smile_o.gif

"adagio for Strings" - Samual Barber, Platoon. differently my favorite war movie song.

if im playing as a german in WW2 ill definately listen to "Panzer Lied" from Battle of the Bulge

The movie score for the last of the mohicans is the greatest ever imo

Hey Guys

Wait till the new RHS addons come out and you'll here some great war music ;)

You thought Seventh was good biggrin_o.gif

Tim Pink

I have to echo Llauma's Has Zimmer sentiments. I particularly liked the stuff he did for Black Hawk Down - Gritty, intense.

I liked the Scottish song in BlackHawk Dwon, but I can't remember it's name.

(For those that mentioned the Medal of Honor series)

I almost forgot about Michael Giacchino. I loved the musical score from the PS2 version of Medal of Honor. My favorite being the tune from the level 'Arnhem Knights' - a sample of which is available here. (Right click, save as. MP3, about 5 mb.)

He also did the music for the Medal of Honor series on other platforms, Call of Duty, and occasionally for the TV show Alias.

More samples of his work are available here.

Minstrel Boy by Joe Strummer and the Miscaleros?

What is the name of that song in Call of Duty during the British mission in which you must hold that bridge? That was a pretty good song!

Edit the file is named pegasusbridge.mp3 and composed by Michael Giacchino.

Minstrel Boy by Joe Strummer and the Miscaleros?

It's a great song..

The Braveheart, Master and commander and Band of Brothers soundtrack is pretty good also. smile_o.gif

I like some of the music in The Bourne Identity but I cant find the soundtrack anywhere, none of the music stores have it. sad_o.gif

Vangelis- Conquest of Paradise

John Williams

Hanz Zimmer(definatly the TTRL soundtrack)

Last of The Mohicians, wish I knew who that was.

And, even though not really composed for movies or games:

WAR PIGS!

Howz about "High Way to the Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins. biggrin_o.gif

Thirty seconds. We went like this, he went like that. I said to Hollywood, "Where'd he go?" Hollywood says, "Where'd whoooo go?"

biggrin_o.gif

Ah, such a guilty pleasure.

I also like the music from the great escape......The theme is set as my ringtone when my parents ring me. tounge_o.gif

IIRC correctly, the same tune is whistled by the captive soldiers in the classic 'Bridge Over the River Kwai.'

I also like Hogans Heroes theme.

There's something about those tunes I find appealing, perhaps the 'you can't and never will break us' spirit they pose to the captors......