Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

UEFA Euro 2004

<span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ Player of the Tournament: Theodoris Zagorakis</span>

Quote[/b] ]

Greece captain Theodoros Zagorakis has been named as the JVC UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ Player of the Tournament.

Study group

The result was announced in Lisbon today by UEFA's technical study group, the group of coaches and technical experts which is compiling a report on technical and tactical trends to arise from the competition in Portugal.

Inspirational captain

AEK Athens FC midfield player Zagorakis, 32, was an inspirational figure in Greece's astonishing march to the European title - an adventure which climaxed at last night's final, when coach Otto Rehhagel's team stunned the football world by beating hosts Portugal 1-0 at the Estαdio da Luz.

Winning ways

Zagorakis led by example as Greece eclipsed Spain and Ukraine to top qualifying Group 6, playing all eight qualifiers and helping his side to six clean sheets in as many victories and an automatic passage to Portugal. He also impressed in the final round as the team overcame supposedly superior opposition with their organisation and courage.

Houllier praise

Gιrard Houllier was just one of the sport's respected figures who showered Zagorakis with praise. "He was captain, man of the match in the first game and in the last," said Houllier. "He was influential and showed leadership, and he is also a good player - his skills and technique showed in [the] final."

Fans vote

For the first time, the fans have also had a say in who wins this prestigious accolade. Their voting on euro2004.com, the official tournament website, was considered by the UEFA Technical Committee when deciding the winner.

Major figures

The EURO technical study group comprises eight members: Roy Hodgson, Houllier, Anghel Iordanescu, Gyφrgy Mezey, Holger Osieck, Jozef Venglos, Berti Vogts and Andy Roxburgh. Each of these cast one vote for the Player of the Tournament, and the ninth vote came from euro2004.com.

JVC comment

Commenting on the Player of the Tournament award, JVC director Yutaka Ijico said: "As official audio-visual partner of EURO 2004â„¢, JVC can bring the game closer to the fans watching on television, and by involving the fans in the vote for the prestigious JVC Player of the Tournament we are bringing them that little bit closer. JVC is proud to sponsor this award and is delighted that the captain of the winning team, Theodoros Zagorakis, has been selected as the winner."

Trophy presentation

The presentation of the JVC EURO 2004â„¢ Player of the Tournament trophy will be arranged around the UEFA Football Gala in Monaco on 26 August, at events which herald the start of the new European season.

Well deserved I think. He was key to our success, getting in an impressive 47 tackles :eek: That makes 7.8 tackles per game.

Congrats re Theodori!!! biggrin_o.gif

Greece winning Euro2004 was a team effort, therefore I definately do not think the best individual player was a Greek. I don't know who they should have chosen, since there wasn't really an individual player that lifted any of the teams to a higher level. I think Nedved came the closest, but since Czech was only a semi-finalist, it's kinda hard naming him the player of the tournament.

<span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ Player of the Tournament: Theodoris Zagorakis</span>

Well, and I think that he deserved it on whole 101%... smile_o.gif

Where is all those football "stars"? crazy_o.gif

Whats filling the gap between this and the world cup. Was 'interesting' discussing the footy with you scumbags tounge_o.gif

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the world cup 2006. Next year they'll start the ticket sale. Perhaps I can get a ticket for the final match in Berlin...

And of course I'll start yet another football thread with result table! biggrin_o.gif

I think I will rent out my appartment... considering the prices for hotels during that time... BUT Berlin has already more hotel rooms available than Manhattan.. and there are several big ones still to be finished and more to come.

Congrats to Greece, they were a 100-1 shot to win. Now don't you all wish you bet $100 on them. tounge_o.gif

wow, congrats to greece. that is the way italy dreams to win something the last years. you showed them how to do it. well done. smile_o.gif

The final was much better than I thought, taped it but don't recall fast forwarding once, congratulations Greece, well deserved, nice to see that tactics + gameplan > fancy shmancy players smile_o.gif

And the Euro 2004 is over, the best team in Europe won it, and the party was the biggest in Athens for decades.

Here some pictures:

IMAG0034.th.jpg

The old Olympic Stadium (Olympic Games 1896)

IMAG0031.th.jpg

Expectant Crowd

IMAG0023.th.jpg

The Cup!!!

IMAG0026.th.jpg

Xaris with the Cup!!!

IMAG0030.th.jpg

Lots of ppl...

IMAG0017.th.jpg

Coooool....

IMAG0013.th.jpg

Partyyyyy!!!!

Do you think this is going to give them momentum heading into the Olympics?

Quote[/b] ]Do you think this is going to give them momentum heading into the Olympics?

Rather the reverse i guess. biggrin_o.gif

They wern't sure if they could complete the olympic stadium on time (the roof may not be completed anyway) ,i suspect that all thse days of party etc won't have put them much forward on the timetable. wink_o.gif

People keep asking me at work about this. I keep telling them - sod the Olympics, we gonna tear it all down and instead erect 12 statues, of King Otto and his 11 princes biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Nah, its all mostly finished anyway smile_o.gif. Roof was completed about a month ago....

I'd just like to say i was watching the final in Greece - well not the mainland, but.... (i was cheering Greece of course)....it was a great atmosphere, and i think my liver is irreversably damaged.

Pathy's Liver setdammage 1