Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

UEFA Euro 2004

Quote from other thread:
I should add before I forget that next Monday and Tuesday are public holidays here so I won't be at work, as I don't have internet access in my apartment there will be no FlashNews next week until Wednesday at the earliest, unless I decide to come into work over the 4 day weekend (possible but no promises) smile_o.gif

I guess the holidays are scrapped and Flashnews are available on monday?  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

I believe the two days are to do with some dead Czech dudes who died a long time back, so no relevance to last night's football smile_o.gif

Talking of last night's football, possibly the worst match I've watched in my life, abysmal, dire, dull, boring game, close to 50 fouls? Constant diving by both sides, neither side could put an attack together, I'm just thankful I taped the 2nd half so I could fast forward through it. I would say that because last night's match was so bad I now want Portugal to win. I think for the final it should be renamed "European Diving Championship", the two teams worst for diving make it to the final, what is that saying about cheaters never prospering? sad_o.gif

Wow!! What a night!!! The whole city was on fire. Ex-RoNiN you should have been here!

Just got to work and Im still sooooooo drunk. Not a problem thought, my boss is even worse biggrin_o.gif

I got a friend from Thassaloniki (we call him Spyros) ... havent heard from him for a while... guess this is an occasion to get in contact with him again! smile_o.gif

I was in a friends marriage yesterday: on one part was the buffet (wedding cake and all) and on the other was this huge projector showing the match. Anyway, I watched the full ninety minutes dutifully and then went to speak to some girls for the extension and lost the goal. crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif There were a lot of old hags pretending to be hardcore fans and shouting rubbish tounge_o.gif

@ July 02 2004,01:37)]Give the captaincy to Gerrard...

You spelt Lampard wrong... tounge_o.gif

After that last match I think we wouldnt go wrong with good ol' Sol wink_o.gif

So it greece bar.gif

Against portugal bar.gif

None of the 2 was considered as a potential winner by this forum at the beginning of the tournament

Dont start with it. Typically the english press blames the swiss ref instead of the team's shitty performance. The poor swiss is under constant protection from several guards because of life threats.... One thing is for sure .. never again I want to hear a complaint from the english about the italian whining-. mad_o.gif

That's pretty poor, indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/3848967.stm

Perhaps one should disqualify certain countries for one championship, because such a behaviour as showed by the English press is UNACCEPTABLE! Trying to destroy a person by dragging his private life into publicity is even worse.

mad_o.gif

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,306507,00.html

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news....ge.html

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=52922

You should have read english newspapers before France-England in the first turn of the Euro 2004.

I couldn't believe the english press can go any lower that what i read before this match but this referee bashing seems to prove me wrong....

I hope that the english people are shocked by their press too.

You should have read english newspapers before France-England in the first turn of the Euro 2004.

I couldn't believe the english press can go any lower that what i read before this match but this referee bashing seems to prove me wrong....

I hope that the english people are shocked by their press too.

It isn't the English press, it is the fact that they are almost exclusively owned by people like Murdoch and other North Americans with odd agendas rock.gif

Placebo - what are you talking about crazy_o.gif There was no diving crazy_o.gif Many tough tackles, but no diving! People fell because they got kicked hard!! biggrin_o.gif

LOL sure Nick biggrin_o.gif

Charisteas really runs so fast it takes 8 rolls for his momentum to be stopped when he was fouled by Galasek?

Jan Koller is 9.3ft tall yet a soft tug on his collar is enough to yank him backwards in the penalty area?

All I know for certain is that Portugal v Greece is going to be an ugly, ugly game, I'll definitely be video taping it so I can fast-forward through all the play-acting.

Jan Koller is 9.3ft tall

Fucking hell crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Congrats to Greece, their style is not viewer-friendly, but it gets the job done.

The refereeing in tournament really has been below par, hope the ref doensn´t decide the final...

Yes, congratulations to Greece, but i get surprised with this result cause i was expecting a different result. I've saw the game directly and i didn't liked what i saw, mainly the 2nd part of the game. Hope that in the 2nd round with Portugal the Greecs allow a more open mach. Anyway they have bit us once but this time will be different for sure biggrin_o.gif

Quite ironic when you look at the number of people who voted for greece in the poll above.. wink_o.gif

Talking of last night's football, possibly the worst match I've watched in my life, abysmal, dire, dull, boring game, close to 50 fouls? Constant diving by both sides, neither side could put an attack together, I'm just thankful I taped the 2nd half so I could fast forward through it. I would say that because last night's match was so bad I now want Portugal to win. I think for the final it should be renamed "European Diving Championship", the two teams worst for diving make it to the final, what is that saying about cheaters never prospering? sad_o.gif

I'm thinking the other way around. I think we need less tolerant rules for the constant and blatant cheating of pushing, shirt pulling etc

It has IMO reached absurd levels. The divings is just a consequence of the raised tolerance to unfair play.

I'm thinking the other way around. I think we need less tolerant rules for the constant and blatant cheating of pushing, shirt pulling etc

It has IMO reached absurd levels. The divings is just a consequence of the raised tolerance to unfair play.

With less tolerant rules, i think a good addition would be less idiotic tv speakers.

I will always remember a match from the spain championship, where Hristo Stoichkov was qualified as an intelligent player and a wise fox by the tv speaker, after an impressive diving/jump far away of the only defender (who was at 5 meters !) that ended to a penalty sad_o.gif , a wise fox ? when on this unfair diving he was just a really disgusting cheater.

And they definitively need the video as a support for referee decision.

On the great sport named Rugby, they have the video as a support, and it is perfectly integrated when the referee is not sure of a decision , or if he has not seen something.

There is a very lot less unfair play and cheating in Rugby because of that.

I wonder why football is always reluctant, without video there is so much dishonorable behaviour that the referee can't see.

Quote[/b] ]Dont start with it. Typically the english press blames the swiss ref instead of the team's shitty performance. The poor swiss is under constant protection from several guards because of life threats.... One thing is for sure .. never again I want to hear a complaint from the english about the italian whining

I would like to point out that this is the same refaree that triggered a huge scandal back when Romania played with Denmark,with even people from Denmark appologising for their undiserved draw that costed us the qualification.Plain and simple he stold us the match like a common theif just like he cheated his wife and England.

I think that if you are prepared to toy with the feelings of tens of million of people (he even mocked us saying he didn`t care as he never plans to make a trip to our country) you are also prepared to take the consequences for it.

there'll be an excellent referee in the final.

the german one, Dr.Markus Merk

@Hellfish

have you seen some games and are you able to watch the final?

Well, HUGE congratulations Hellas  biggrin_o.gif  Even though I must say that I was just as shocked after yesterdays match as after the match against France..... Me reflecting alot about rigid, stereotype rationalities as part of what I'm currently doing, ofcourse had to reflect over how hard it is to overcome that 'the great -reputed- teams should almost always win' rational  crazy_o.gif But as I also know, the 'Globalisation of football' quickly results in teams performance evening up globally, due to spreading of 'winning concepts' and other knowledge. I got no problem with that, as long as there is some beauty and charm left in most matches - except for when I'm stuck in old rationals that is tounge_o.gif

And I'm a little jealous of my oldest brother who will go to Crete on sunday for a two week holiday. What an incredible timing - those two weeks will probably be the best weeks one could spend in Greece for decades, at least if Greece wins  biggrin_o.gif  mad_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Regarding that more technology should be integrated in football to get more just refereeing, I got some bad vibrations in sight. A German company has already developed and tested an electronic sensor-system, with sensors around the pitch, in the ball and on the players...... If that first step is taken, footballplayers will probably be dressed in special full-body-coverage-dresses in a few decades, and then just more and more  crazy_o.gif

I think that one of the many great things about football is that as it is now, poor kids in an African village can play football under almost the same conditions as the great players do during a World Cup. With more and more technology, it will probably not 'be the same game' that the spontaneous players can play out on the grubble square (sp? ), as is played in 'the great leagues/tournaments'. And that is taking away a dimension from football IMO. Once the first step is taken, the next will come in no time..........  sad_o.gif

Congrats to Greece! The match was boring though, and the football not on a high level. It's a shame for the quality of the final that Czech didn't made it, but somehow I do feel some sympathy for Greece. Good luck in the final, I hope it will be a lot more entertaining then this semi-final smile_o.gif