Sign in to follow this  
HunterKiller

.p3d to .max

i have 3ds max 6 and saw a util to change .p3ds to .m3ds unfortuantely when i open these in the prog that is with the util all i get is a square with screwed up lines in

You want to edit p3d files in max?

Then you must use send command in Oxygen and choose save as *.asc (It says it can but Oxygen can't save files as *.3ds.). Then you can open that *.asc file in "Deep Exploration" and save as *.3ds. Now 3d Studio MAX is able to import your file (without material assignments thought)and you can save and edit your file in 3d Studio MAX as standard *.max file.

You can export your file from max to oxygen using deep exploration again. This time material assignments done in max are left unchanged.

You can even have one object with multiple material files (sub object material assigment).

I went through a procedure a while back to convert p3d files into a series of obj files a while back. The obj files could then be opened with 3D Studio Max. I seem to recall there being a p3d to obj converter around. This method is probably more complicated than it needs to be though.