Sign in to follow this  
bn880

The Bastige Island 6

V1.097 is up, and the AI-OD code inside has been updated this morning.

In some huge MP games we tried on the Zeus Addon server we noticed the "no AI" bug fro mthe start of the mission, this version of AI-OD will either get rid of the problem (as a bug was fixed and a safety was put in) or it will let me debug the mission remotely a lot better.

Thanks to the zeus guys and ~15 players who had to go through two of these "no AI" sessions yesterday. Lets do it one more time in an attempt to nabb the bug.... tounge_o.gif

Cheers

(check first post in this thread for DL)

*cough*

Wouldn't touch the newer versions if I were you. We still have some 'issues' to get rid of.

Indeedly, we have a bug which is extremely time consuming and it's killing bn880.

I just hope it's not a failure in OFP code, rather something silly in the script.

smile_o.gif

Good day folks!

AI-OD has been fixed and Bastige Island version 1.1 has been posted. There are several kick butt features in this mission, and it has been reworked quite a bit. Please jump to the first post in this thread and check it out for yourself. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

For those who want a newer and safe version of AI-OD, this one is thoroughly tested and functional.

Cheers

almost forgot

Updated Bastige Island Specs:

Quote[/b] ][*] MP Coop 2-37 players (includes a mortar section, special forces unit, and airlift team)

[*] WGL 4.12 units/weapons

[*] Over 700 enemies to neutralize

[*] CoC AI on Demand system Revision 21 which removes un-necessary AI until needed

[*] Respawn at 90s, respawn point moves with each unit leader every 60s

[*] Adjustable Terrain Detail and View Distance (for squad leaders only, not recommended above 1500m for server FPS)

[*] Difficult to predict enemy behaviour from run-run

[*] Projected time to comlpete entire mission in coop: 3-10h, depending on number of human players

[*] Enemy AI yells out differnt orders and screams when needed

[*] Enemy AI can surrender when in really bad situation

[*] Enemy AI can regroup to strengthen defense

[*] Fortification Suite which allows soldiers to build up defenses for battle (drop weapons to use)

[*] Unit markers move with each Unit for situational awareness

[*] Option to tie weapons to respawning players. (non-team player protection)

[*] Enemy AI will use flares during the night under some circumstances

[*] A small level of insurgent activity

[*] Team AI respawn ON/OFF switch as MP Parameter

[*] Revolutionary training/punishment system for human players.

Special thanks to the Zeus team, especially Looz, Jinef, Killswitch, Baz and others(in no particular order) for ideas/testing/fun and more.

Well, I must say I only stumbled across this mission yesterday on Zeus, and it really impressed me. While there were some problems with players crashing out it really was an overwhelming experience (also thanks to good squad leaders like Jinef).

Great work!

Hello again. I've been trying to set up a mission using the previous (safe, 3 posts up) version of "Vannilla" Ai on Demand,  to set up a mission for my Coop squad. The problem I have is that we have an air section that can be a little.... well.. adventurous shall I say. The obvious problem here is that they tend to trigger a lot of groups well away from where I want the action, ie near the groud forces, or an objective. All these groups spawning early are causing strain on the old server and so, defeating the purpose of the scripts. I did notice in hte readme.txt however, that there was a way of only spawning an ai group if a condition was met, ie "not alive eastsoldier" or even by using a trigger to spawn them. I'm not a very good scripter and I was wondering if someone could further explain how I could go about implementing this. If anyone could lend a hand I'd very much appreciate it. smile_o.gif

Edit:

Was just wondering if there were any plans to release the updated Ai on Demand scripts for vanilla missions.

Good day,

the aircraft spawning thing, that has been mentioned many times, however you can probably understand why _all_ enemy units should spawn all AI in the vicinity. Otherwise you may get quite a bit of silly comments like "I flew there 5 minutes ago and there were only empty Shilka's, no soldiers".

I may consider a no spawn on Aircraft switch in the future.

For now you can add a condition to your AI groups, for example:

[this,{_d<xd&&obj2}]call loadfile{CoC_AD\addgroup.sqf};

this will only spawn the particular group if one of your people is near and obj2 is set to true. Then you can control the spawning by keeping obj2 at false until you know your ground troops are going to contact them.

I can suggest you download the newest Bastige Island at the same link, and use that as your "vanilla" version. You should however have CoC NS 2.0 present in your mission to use this version. We have just now confirmed that all "no AI" problems on Linux server with 9+ players are caused by some OFP error with createUnit (perhaps caused by memory leak), not by AIOD.

Well, I must say I only stumbled across this mission yesterday on Zeus, and it really impressed me. While there were some problems with players crashing out it really was an overwhelming experience (also thanks to good squad leaders like Jinef).

Great work!

Thanks, appreciate the response.

BTW: new features...

Quote[/b] ][*]Only pilots can fly helicopters normally, non-pilots will have a lot of problems, usually will not make it.

[*]Team AI does NOT respawn anymore, rather you can call for support once airfield is cleared, there will be reinforcements.

[*]Respawn occurs in assault base position until airport is taken.

[*]Helicopter crew can now attach ropes to vehicles to cargo lift them to the battlezone.

[*]New UH 60 helicopter team added for Echo team insertion and other transport operations.

[*]Combat zones condensed into 6-7 major areas.

[*]Enemy SAM sectors(1Kmx1Km) marked to make mission easier on helicopter team.

[*]Alarm now shuts off properly.

[*]All teams start in their vehicles (boats + UH60).

[*]Support helicopters bring in 48 AI members ready to join teams.

[*]Support helicopters fly in a UH60 replacement in case the first one is damaged.

Thanyou very much, bn880. Just what I was after. biggrin_o.gif

The problem with players discovering areas with no troops can be easily countered anyway. smile_o.gif Simply leave a couple of the ai groups running without the Ai on Demand scripts. That way you can use AA fire to fend off any unwelcome attention from flying players. Once the ground team moves in to clear em out the rest of the units can be spawned. Allternatively you can always use the view distance method for AA and use a conditional for the ai ground forces. Either way it's possible to keep the main fighting nearer to the ground based players.

I'll try using your latest version of Ai on Demand but I'm restiricted to the addons I can use by my squad. Unfortunatly this list doesn't include the impresive CoC artilliary or the WGL addons. If I can get it to work without either of these, I'll certainly implement it.

Interestingly enough, we use a dedicated Linux server. Can I ask what to look out for, in terms of the memory leak problem. We are just about to have our server contract updated and if Linux is going to be a problem then I'd like to know, so that we can get the server changed to a Windows based PC.

Keep up the exemplary work. Your scripts sure make Co-op MP a whole lot more fun.

I am also working with a rather high profile Mod team at the moment and I'd like to know what your position is on using the Ai on Demand scripts for some of the MP missions. It's early days yet but I'd like to find out sooner thatn later.

Thanyou very much, bn880. Just what I was after. biggrin_o.gif

The problem with players discovering areas with no troops can be easily countered anyway. smile_o.gif Simply leave a couple of the ai groups running without the Ai on Demand scripts. That way you can use AA fire to fend off any unwelcome attention from flying players. Once the ground team moves in to clear em out the rest of the units can be spawned. Allternatively you can always use the view distance method for AA and use a conditional for the ai ground forces. Either way it's possible to keep the main fighting nearer to the ground based players.

Yes good plan.

Quote[/b] ]

I'll try using your latest version of Ai on Demand but I'm restiricted to the addons I can use by my squad. Unfortunatly this list doesn't include the impresive CoC artilliary or the WGL addons. If I can get it to work without either of these, I'll certainly implement it.

Yes you can get it to work without those, but for thatp articular version which includes good MP error reporting, you will need to install CoC NS 2.0 inside the mission. (it is a set of scripts)

Alternatively I will make public a more upto date AIOD without the requirement of NS in mission.

Quote[/b] ]Interestingly enough, we use a dedicated Linux server. Can I ask what to look out for, in terms of the memory leak problem. We are just about to have our server contract updated and if Linux is going to be a problem then I'd like to know, so that we can get the server changed to a Windows based PC.

The memory leak is a theory, watch to see if each time you start a large mission (like BI) your memory usage goes up, butnever decreases after completion of mission, only increases and increases.

Whether this is connected to the createUnit failure, and whether createUnit failure occurs only in linux or only with WGL addons, I do not know. I know for sure it occurs when

A) the mission starts with large WGL forces, many objects, with ~15 players on Linux server.

B) the mission starts with large WGL forces, many objects, with ~9 or more players and after extensive combat

So it is hard to say why createUnit fails, but I know for _sure_ createUnit breaks, with totally good parameters (group, rank, init etc etc) You may never encounter the problem, but if you do, you will see error [#,4,2,0] with the latest AI-OD + CoC NS 2.0 in mission.

Here are the rror definitions for that particular AI-OD

Quote[/b] ]AIOD SPAWN ERRORS

ALL ERRORS PREFIXED WITH GROUP #, SOME FOLLOWED UP BY UNIT NUMBER

0:X

group information aray count bad, count is X

1:1

group variable is null

1:2 off

group variable is not group

1:3

units already present in group

2:1

no unit data in this group info

(UNIT DATA ERRORS)

3:1

info data does not contain 12 elements

3:2

unit type is not a string

3:3

location is not array

3:4

skill is not number

3:5

captivity is not boolean

3:6

damage is non number

3:7

rating is non number

3:8

magazines not an array

3:9

a magazine is non string

3:10

weapons not an array

3:11

a weapon is non string

3:12

vehicle position is non string

3:13

vehicle position string not recognized

3:14

vehicle position commander,gunner, or driver but vehicle not saved

3:15

unit direction is non number

(CREATE UNIT ERRORS)

4:2

CoC_ADNew still NULL after all timeouts*retries

4:3

new unit is of wrong vehicle type

5:1

unable to remove weapons and magazines from new unit

6:1

group spawning script timed out

Quote[/b] ]Keep up the exemplary work. Your scripts sure make Co-op MP a whole lot more fun.

I am also working with a rather high profile Mod team at the moment and I'd like to know what your position is on using the Ai on Demand scripts for some of the MP missions. It's early days yet but I'd like to find out sooner thatn later.

I am not 100% sure yet, but most likely you will be able to use AIOD.

Okay new version of BI up on the same link, V1.118

some changes to this version

Quote[/b] ][*]Removed various useless objects from mission.

[*]Starting location is on other island.

[*]Delta team now has a UH60 for troop transport and a CH47D for cargo+troop transport.

[*]All teams start in helicopters not boats.

[*]Support helicopters count reduced to 2, they are mainly there to bring in additional AI for your teams.

[*]New feature which detects non-human lead groups and makes them join human lead ones, even breaks up team if needed.

[*]More support vehicles present at base ready to be cargo lifted.

I can't wait to play this one myself biggrin_o.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, special thanks to InqWiper this time for helping to debug some stuff, in addition to the regular Zeusies.

Do you want the thread title fixing? I just sat here for 5 mins trying to figure out whether it's called Battlefield or Island wink_o.gif

Hmmmm I tried the condition in your post and it comes up with the following error during CoC Initialisation.

_d<xd&&obj1|#|':Error &&:Type object, expected bool.

I replaced the older CoC folder with the latest from Battlefield Island and got the same errors.

Any ideas?

Hi Placebo, thanks for asking,

the mission _is_ really "Bastige Battlefield" (as it was for years in my private games) renamed to "Bastige Island" for MP users (not to conflict with Battlefield 1985 mission names), s a rename to "Bastige Island" would be great.

Thanks.

Mani2

okay maybe obj1 is reserved in OFP? Anyway, at start of mission's init.sqs put

o1=false;

then your CoC AI-OD init condition string would be

"_d<xd&&o1"

at some point you set o1=true in the mission, which is when those particular groups may begin to spawn. It is quite simple stuff, you'll get it.

Cheers

That was my thought as well, as I said I spent some time confused yesterday as to whether an Island addon was needed or something smile_o.gif

What about "The Battle of Bastige"? biggrin_o.gif

The DL is where it should be IMO. bn880 updates the link with the latest version almost as soon as he's finnished it.

Hmmm. I tried a couple of variable names, tankie1 and btr to name a few and I'm getting the same results. I'll have another try later today.

I was having a look through the latest version of Bastige Island and I was wondering which files I should be transfering to my mission. The CoC Ai on Demand I was using previously had a "CoC_Maintrig" for the edditor screen, all the scritps in the CoC folder and a little bit of code to add to an Init.sqs. In the Bastige island mission, I noticed important sounding file names like "InitClient" and references to "dx" in other scripts outside of the CoC folder.

I'm trying to put a basic Ai on Demand template together to help encourage other members of my squad to get into mission making. Basically, I'd like to have all the appropriate files in a mission folder and also three examples of how they can implement the script in a template mission.sqm.

1. A group that spawns on View Distance.

2. A group that spawns on a set distance.

3 A group that spawns on a conditional, ie "spawn = true"

Hope you can advise me as to what files I'll need and also appologies in advance for any hastle I'm causing.

That was my thought as well, as I said I spent some time confused yesterday as to whether an Island addon was needed or something smile_o.gif

What about "The Battle of Bastige"? biggrin_o.gif

There is no way I'm changing the name again. Don't you see the category it's in. tounge_o.gif

Mani2: it is very important you do not use a vehicle name, this is a boolean variable name, read what I wrote before carefully. You are passing an object to a condition statement. smile_o.gif

What do you need? Well in that particular version you need the same stuff as before (exactly the same) + CoC Network Services 2.

Why not wait until I post up a version of AI-OD which does not use CoC NS at all. The reference to xd is yet another conditional statement to spawn the group, it is meant to be configured by the mission maker to his/her own codition. "xd" is just something that particular mission has when viewdistance is adjusted.

I think I'll take your advice on this one, bn880 and wait for your Non CoC NS version. I will however try to figure it out myself so I can get a better idea of how to best utilise the scripts.

Thanks for your help and patience. smile_o.gif

Good day,

AI on demand has been fixed (rather we have circumvented an OFP bug), the new revision 30 is up on the first post in this thread.

Initialization is shorter, CoC NS2.0 is NOT required and code is streamlined as it does not require the errorchecking we used in the past.

Have fun, we finally nabbed it.

For people who are interested:

OFP messes up groups which are left empty for a long time in large MP games. The group will appear to exist, units group returns [], but you cant join the group or createUnit into it. wink_o.gif That one took for ever to find.