Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Nogova 2004

Yeah I don't think the AI could ever follow the highway correctly. They will probaly crash all the time. Just look how they drive on a one lane, they go all over the place. tounge_o.gif I think this will be a problem wouldn't the AI just drive where they would normaly would? And wouldn't that be where the Cement Barrier is? rock.gif

no they would just be driving down the middle on one side of the barrier because the highway isnt one road piece it is just two normal road pieces side by side (or atleast that is the way it appears in all the pictures)

Hey, this looks pretty good already!

I don't know how far you're going about editing topography but how about finaly having realistic roads!?

In a similar thread (think it was about chechen island, ages ago) I suggested having roadside ditches or similar. In real life there's 3 ways to build a road that will not be floded on rainy weather or at the big melt in spring time:

1. City Streets mostly have drains (no need to simulate this)

2. Roadside ditches which are like trenches next to both sides of the road. These would make good covering positions both in real life and in OFP missions.

3. Elevated roads. The base of the pavement is heaped about 1 or 2 meters above the surrounding ground level. This would also make for good cover in combat.

Another flaw in OFP's islands is roads beeing placed along or upward very step mountains/hills. There rarely is a road with more than 24% (10-11° angle) incline/bank. In this case roads are usualy curved/cascaded.

Hope you like the idea because I would love to have some OFP missions where you can take cover from an ambush in a road side ditch or such.

Quote[/b] ]No landfill, it wouldn't look realistic, but maybe a ferryboat

I was not thinking of an actual Landfill (bad choice of words), just raising the terrain around the Island Runway to accomodate a second larger Airport by merging the Island with the mainland.

I wanted a second Airport that looks something like this:

Air03.jpg

I just thought the size of it fitted in with your highways.

But perhaps when your finished, if you did not mind me messing around with your map, I could do my own version?

Quote[/b] ]No landfill, it wouldn't look realistic, but maybe a ferryboat

I was not thinking of an actual Landfill (bad choice of words), just raising the terrain around the Island Runway to accomodate a second larger Airport by merging the Island with the mainland.

I wanted a second Airport that looks something like this:

http://homepages.gotadsl.co.uk/~gunfight/Air03.jpg

I just thought the size of it fitted in with your highways.

But perhaps when your finished, if you did not mind me messing around with your map, I could do my own version?

One runway would be unusable though (or atleast i think) But that would be cool for non ai players or just for looks smile_o.gif

Speed limit signs! Thats a must! And stop signs...and maybe a street design with garages and driveways...no one wants to look like a hick with their car parked outside the yard in the grass afterall....even if it does look like my house. Heh heh hrmmm....and make a police department too and a fire station. Make sure theirs a hospital also...everyone needs those. and a real airport (sorta like the one on mapfact but even more realistic )

a) Highway is not a Highway, when there are crossings (as on your screens). It is only an express road then

b) road texture. I STRONGLY suggest, that instead of two standard roads, you should make one wide road texture, like that:

road.jpg

Then on the space with bars you place the dividers. You may also place some long and flat line of road somewhere in the middle of the map or wherever (may be flatten artificially) without dividers - as an emergency aircraft (quite popular thing around the world to make an emergency runway on the special part of highway), you may also add a concrete square on one of the ends on that highway (glued to a highway, for fuel tanks, service vehicles, planes, and so on). That may be later fun in gameplay, to have a field airfield :]

One wide road is the worst thing you can do. Belive me, I've already tried it. AI cars will try to drive along the centerline crashing into concrete walls all the time. sad_o.gif

One wide road is the worst thing you can do. Belive me, I've already tried it. AI cars will try to drive along the centerline crashing into concrete walls all the time. sad_o.gif

So making 2 "roadway" lods side by side, the AI would drive in the middle ?

Embassy type buildings (a few) that are walled in, have guard post and large gardens, garages, store rooms, seperate living areas from the main embassy. The one thing most islands lack. Could we get atleast one military base on the damn island? smile_o.gif

I will make a US embassy in Lipany near the (planned) government buildings wink_o.gif

Frenchman: I guess I could put a water tower somewhere

Nathanz: Thanks for the offer of the bridge if you can send him to my email I will implent him smile_o.gif

To everybody: I am keeping the highway like how it is now, I will make AI paths so they can follow them, or you have to make a lot of waypoints in a mission.

About the airport(s) I will totaly restyle the main airport I am going to put some terminals on it and it also has two runways. The airport in the north stays for what it is, maybe some small changes but that's it wink_o.gif

Looking VERY good. The highways look absolutely awesome.

The only thing I would like to see is those large traffic signs over the highway telling you were to go (the direction the larger cities). That would be ultra-cool. That way you could basiscly navigate on the island without the use of the map.

The only thing I would like to see is those large traffic signs over the highway telling you were to go (the direction the larger cities). That would be ultra-cool. That way you could basiscly navigate on the island without the use of the map.

No signs over the highway (yet  wink_o.gif ) but I will make some near the highway.

EDIT: Just saw I got some advertising at OFP.info wink_o.gif

Some more pics of the highway:

Highway near Skalice

Noe17.jpg

Highway near Frymburk

Noe18.jpg

More later pics later smile_o.gif

Nathanz: Thanks for the offer of the bridge if you can send him to my email I will implent him  smile_o.gif

Uh oh, I seem to be having problems. I can walk through the Geometry lods sad_o.gif even though their on the model...

Maybe you wanna make use of this highway roadsign which I once made:

Roadsign

sign.jpg

Looks perty but are those actual distances? And what are they in? Miles or kilometers.

Distances in kilometers, but very rough measured. Ironsight can chage everything if wanted.

Since the island is situated in eastern europe (or at least the original NOE is), the distance should be in Km (like it already is now).

Very nice signs, BTW.

(although they look a bit german, LOL)

I have to disagree Frostbite biggrin_o.gif German roadsigns are more solid and blue. They certainly look completely different tounge_o.gif Here is a comparison:

highway-autobahn.jpg

P5240019-640.jpg

Maybe its handy that there is enough room on the airport to turn large airplanes. Otherwise you can't take off anymore.

Nathanz: Thanks for the offer of the bridge if you can send him to my email I will implent him  smile_o.gif

Uh oh,  I seem to be having problems.  I can walk through the Geometry lods  sad_o.gif  even though their on the model...

Too bad, I hear it if you can get it to work.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe you wanna make use of this highway roadsign which I once made:

Roadsign

Thanks a lot man, I will use it for sure. With full credit off course wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Maybe its handy that there is enough room on the airport to turn large airplanes. Otherwise you can't take off anymore.

The airport gets a total make-over and there will be enough room smile_o.gif

The airport gets a total make-over and there will be enough room  smile_o.gif

Will you use these textures ?  smile_o.gif

biggest work would be the runway textures.. but i would really want (if i could wish) the desert to be removed..

so many times i hated the desert.. better use a desert island for desert mission then nogova