Sign in to follow this  
denoir

International Politics Thread

I've seen "Commandante" and was pretty impressed with the movie and have to say with Castro himself (Nike shoes and all). Whatever your political persuasions, Castro is a fascinating, living, historical figure.

It seems like Cuba has achieved some great things inspite of the US embargo. I think I read somewhere that they have a higher literacy rate than the US.

!Viva la revolucion! yay.gif

Castro, the left's living father figure.

Monster.

Fidela and Pinochet, the rights role models.

Who here was singing the praises of a despot like Pinochet?

Quote[/b] ].That's a game we can both play Avonlady, but I'd rather not be that childish.

Then explain your irrelevant response.

Quote[/b] ]Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria.

No, Europe gets run over every once in a while through history. That's all.

Quote[/b] ]The Ghosts of McCarthy still flying around.

Silly me! Castro would make a great son-in-law. Such a mentsch! confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria.

Yes, those dastardly cubans could be invading any time now!

Been watching too much red dawn lately?

BTW, spent some time reading the other crap on that site. They really really really seem to like the word traitor. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Who here was singing the praises of a despot like Pinochet?

"For the sake of the poorest peasants in this Godforsaken country, I can't wait for the contras to march into this town and liberate it from these fucking Sandinistas!" - David Horowitz - In the dining room of the Intercontinental Hotel in Nicaragua, during the fall of 1987

The editor-in-chief of that rag himself?

Well.. at least he was until the abuses of all those "counterrevolutionaries" became too bleedingly obvious to deny.

Avon Lady I'm happy to be proven wrong, I think anybody who has absolute blind faith in anybody or anything is dangerous, but that link you provided is just plain silly.

EG Some "Hot Chick" in her anti Che T-shirt. Gee Whiz rofl.gif

What does that mean?

Avon Lady I'm happy to be proven wrong, I think anybody who has absolute blind faith in anybody or anything is dangerous, but that link you provided is just plain silly.

EG Some "Hot Chick" in her anti Che T-shirt. Gee Whiz rofl.gif

What does that mean?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hot chick. got a pic tounge2.gif

Castro might not be the greatest, most friendly person in the world but to immediatly start hurling mud at the left of the political spectrum is a bit "Foxnews". the USA is back to McCarthy-ism only the word "communist" has been replaced by the word "liberal". Just because your leaders told you Castro is "bad" doesn't mean he can never ever say anything that might be right. They've been wrong before, they once called Saddam a "allie". As to the europe getting run over remark .... Great debating tactic. Makes you look a tad bit foolish though. We in europe have come a long way since ww1 and 2. We have started a proces to unify our subcontinent and make a mechanisme that would prevent wars in the future. We as countries are getting along a lot better as neighbours then other countries, your's included.

Recent US governments policies toward Cuba show just how scared they are that independence of the USA might take root in Latin America. Cuba nationalised US companies and have had to struggle under embargo for decades. China butchered pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiennamien Square (granted Cuba locks 'em up crazy_o.gif ), 15 years later, it's Uncle Sam's biggest trading partner inlove.gif

Now Vietnam is slowly getting back in the good books.

Quote[/b] ]Fidela and Pinochet, the rights role models. That's a game we can both play Avonlady, but I'd rather not be that childish. .

The difference is people on the right tend to recognize Pinochet and Fidela both as tyrants. People on the left worship Castro as a hero. You call Castro a tyrant and leftist will always bring up Pinochet. Sorry insufficient excuse. I

Quote[/b] ]Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria. The Ghosts of McCarthy still flying around

Unlike Europe America doesn’t suffer from anti-right hysteria. The ghost of Stalin is still flying around. (that’s not entirely true though as many Americans fear the right wing, it’s the second red scare if you haven’t heard)

Quote[/b] ]Yes, luckily there were all those freedom-loving humanitarian anti-communist regimes propped up in latin america by the USA to prevent such monstrosities in the future.

Sorry to inform you Eizei but if you detest those right wing despots and anti humanitarian regimes then you are required to dislike Castro as well. I mean by own means go ahead and cut excuses for Castro and other left wing dictators if you wish, however if you do you'll have to pardon me as I shake my head in disgust at your selective reasoning.

Why does everyone worship fucking shit bag thugs like Castro and Che these days? I don't see Penochet or Francisco Franco T Shirts or shrines.

I remember when good old Fidel broke his damn leg a few months ago I cracked up when I saw the clip. I joked that it was too bad the old fucker didn't break his skull instead. People were like "oh you horrible person, how could you say such bad things about el presidente he's a saint!". Fuck Castro I hope he dies a slow agonizingly painful death.

You all make me sick. Excuse me while I go wretch and throw up in disgust.

I saw a documentary the other day, Comandante by Oliver Stone. It's basically a long interview with Castro.

I can really recommend it. I'm having a difficult time interpreting what I saw though. More or less everything Castro says there makes sense and he's quite convincing. I still can't help but wondering if he is full of shit or actually honest. Anybody else seen it?

Haven't found that around here, but I saw Fidel - The Untold Story recently and I thought it was very good.

Also Cuba starring Sean Connery was, imho, a pretty unbiased look at the Revolution (hey, it pissed off everyone in both Washington and Havana).

As for the rest of this particular discussion....Kernel programming is enough for me to bang my head against tonight :P.

Quote[/b] ]Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria. The Ghosts of McCarthy still flying around

Unlike Europe America doesn’t suffer from anti-right hysteria. The ghost of Stalin is still flying around. (that’s not entirely true though as many Americans fear the right wing, it’s the second red scare if you haven’t heard)

Quote[/b] ]Yes, luckily there were all those freedom-loving humanitarian anti-communist regimes propped up in latin america by the USA to prevent such monstrosities in the future.

Sorry to inform you Eizei but if you detest those right wing despots and anti humanitarian regimes then you are required to dislike Castro as well. I mean by own means go ahead and cut excuses for Castro and other left wing dictators if you wish, however if you do you'll have to pardon me as I shake my head in disgust at your selective reasoning.

Umm.. at what point have I said to like Castro?

(if you are feeling like pulling your head out of your ass instead of ranting in these borderline trolling posts you should go and use the forum search engine to see what I have so far said about the chinese regime and Kim-Il-Jong for example)

My opinion merely is that Cuba should not be treated any worse than say.. China or Vietnam these days.

The difference is people on the right tend to recognize Pinochet and Fidela both as tyrants. People on the left worship Castro as a hero. You call Castro a tyrant and leftist will always bring up Pinochet. Sorry insufficient excuse.

Perhaps you should have read on before posting untill the post where I said:

Quote[/b] ]Castro might not be the greatest, most friendly person in the world but to immediatly start hurling mud at the left of the political spectrum is a bit "Foxnews". the USA is back to McCarthy-ism only the word "communist" has been replaced by the word "liberal". Just because your leaders told you Castro is "bad" doesn't mean he can never ever say anything that might be right.

Look! Nuanced opinion! WOW! I know that isn't popular with a certain portion of america who preffer "With us or with the terr'rists".

Quote[/b] ]
[/quote

You should try to base your opinion on fact and not merely your hastened and rather simplistic method of debating. Perhaps you should try following some european media sources as I follow a lot of american media sources. Anyone can spout of his mouth like you just have without any reasoning behind it.

Quote[/b] ]

Why does everyone worship fucking shit bag thugs like Castro and Che these days? I don't see Penochet or Francisco Franco T Shirts or shrines.

"Fucking shit bag thugs" .... wow ... foaming at the mouth already? Its Pinochet BTW. Maybe you should read up on the current attempts to bring Pinochet to justice for his attrocities and how those are being thwarted. Apparently he still has enough supporters around the world. "Required" ... by who? By you? Knowing EiZei he has is a lot more aware of the attrocities of Casto and Guevara then you are about Fidela and Pinochet. That helps him place things in context and helps him build a nuanced opinion. Just calling people names isnt really a having an opinion its just calling people names.

Quote[/b] ]

I remember when good old Fidel broke his damn leg a few months ago I cracked up when I saw the clip. I joked that it was too bad the old fucker didn't break his skull instead. People were like "oh you horrible person, how could you say such bad things about el presidente he's a saint!". Fuck Castro I hope he dies a slow agonizingly painful death.

You all make me sick. Excuse me while I go wretch and throw up in disgust.

This is probably the most childish thing I have ever see anyone post here. But when someone laughs when George W Bush falls of what ever vehicle he comes across they hate you for you freedom right and their all disgusting and you are disgusted right? Talk about selective indignation.

Next time think a second before posting and you won't be embarrassed when you realize what an obvious question you asked.

Ideology. It's not what Che or Castro did in practice, but the ideals they stood for. And left-wing ideals, albeit utopian and unrealistic are noble. They talk of the equality of man, social justice for all, protection of the underprivileged in society etc

Right wing ideology on the other hand is nationalistic, chauvinistic, egoistic. There's no universal noble cause there to be found.

And the left-wing ideology is a revolutionary one, a fight against the establishment. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why it appeals to younger people.

It's not sad to see a young person with a Che t-shirt. It is however very sad to see a young conservative. What a lack of imagination, what pathetic conformist mindset.. And they're really missing something. Most people go in the conservative direction anyway as they grow older. Why waste your youth on it?

I read a quote somewhere...

"Any man who is not a communist at 20 is a fool. Any man who is still a communist at 30 is an even bigger fool."

Although I don't agree entirely, It struck a chord with me and I decided to write one of my own.

"Any man who is ever a Republican is a fucking idiot"

rofl.gif

Right wing ideology on the other hand is nationalistic, chauvinistic, egoistic. There's no universal noble cause there to be found.

Within the nation it's less egoistic than today, outside the nation there doesn't have to be a difference from today.

Next time think a second before posting and you won't be embarrassed when you realize what an obvious question you asked.

Ideology. It's not what Che or Castro did in practice, but the ideals they stood for. And left-wing ideals, albeit utopian and unrealistic are noble. They talk of the equality of man, social justice for all, protection of the underprivileged in society etc

And the left-wing ideology is a revolutionary one, a fight against the establishment. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why it appeals to younger people.

It's not sad to see a young person with a Che t-shirt. It is however very sad to see a young conservative. What a lack of imagination, what pathetic conformist mindset.. And they're really missing something. Most people go in the conservative direction anyway as they grow older. Why waste your youth on it?

I'm not sad wink_o.gif lack of imagination? You haven't even met me  rofl.gif

Many of my mates are more conservative then liberal. The only reason young people like the liberal democrats in the UK is because they will get rid of tuition fees in University.

Being lefty in your youth, today, will amount to nothing in the USA. I guess it gives them taste of failure.

"Any man who is not a communist at 20 is a fool. Any man who is still a communist at 30 is an even bigger fool."

i heard it like this...

a man who isnt communist when he is young doenst have a heart.

a man who isnt conservative (capitalist...etc) when he is old, doesnt have a brain.

Being lefty in your youth, today, will amount to nothing in the USA. I guess it gives them taste of failure.

Failure like the response to hurricane katrina? Failure like the search for WMD's? Failure like the war on terror? Failure like bringing peace and stability to the Iraqi's? Failure like "Being a uniter not a divider"? Failure like reforming the UN? Failure like decreasing the national deficit? From here it looks like there is one big failure in the USA allright but he's not to the left of the political spectrum. Besides even your left would be considered centrist-right here.

Quote[/b] ]

Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria.

No comments

Failure like the response to hurricane katrina? Failure like the search for WMD's? Failure like the war on terror? Failure like bringing peace and stability to the Iraqi's? Failure like "Being a uniter not a divider"? Failure like reforming the UN? Failure like decreasing the national deficit? From here it looks like there is one big failure in the USA allright but he's not to the left of the political spectrum. Besides even your left would be considered centrist-right here.

Ha, attack Bush while I was talking about something else. You have .0001% of gaining office if you admit your an socialist/communist or 'earth first" person. Bush is a failure in your eyes but he still was elected to office. Even the Democrats tried to move more to the center to gain more votes.

Quote[/b] ]

Unlike the USA europe doesnt suffer from that idiotic anti-left hysteria.

No comments

This should probs go in a PM but still international politics. When is suicide bombers 'resistance'? Well maybe it can be ok in a perverted way, then your sig says 'help palestine'.

I must say I find it strange that no one touched the issue of Myanmar here... The whole world seems to be more or less united in the condemnation of the human rights violations going on in that country, but no power able to is really doing anything to prevent it... to ask China to do something is stupid because they don't care about human rights either...

- but the silence about it in this forum where everything is discussed... is really chilling... I bet if Myanmar had oil the good old US of A had thrown that regime into history... But I guess anything is only done when oil is found, like in the case of East Timor... banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]... to ask China to do something is stupid because they don't care about human rights either...

It´s not stupid as China and Russia are the ones who are interested in a stable Birma. So they are the number 1 countries who have influence on what is going on in Birma.

China, with the background of the olympic games, have to move in certain areas or the games will be boycotted by a number of countries and as they are so eagerly trying to boost their PR values across the world, they will take the chance to brighten their image.

Referencing Chinas own record in mistreating people is obsolete in this case as it´s a matter of diplomacy and not a matter of nations who have a clean record on their own. If this would be the case there would be very few nations left that are actually allowed to comment or influence what´s going on in Birma.

The US, Russia and several other countries would not be on the list aswell...

On the crisis itself: It bottoms down to the basics. If the people in Birma want to get rid of the military junta they have to get rid of them on their own in the first place. Any foreign interference will only make it harder for them and we have learned that you don´t get rid of regimes with foreign troops as long as a big part of the country is under their influence and there are people who benefit from the military regime. All that messing with resistance forces and replacement wars that have been fought over the last 40 years only showed that it doesn´t work that way, even if some stubborn, uneducated and prophetic narcoleptic from the White House still tries to sell the story the other way round. You only build new foes and loose those who you claim to protect or support.

On a sidenote. I guess there´s a real threat to world peace today as the conflict China<->Taiwan seems to gain momentum as we speak. The place where it will get dirty for all of us will be the Taiwanese seastreet as there are currently big tensions going on and a preemptive attack from China will most likely catapult us into WW3.