Sign in to follow this  
denoir

International Politics Thread

I'm not disagreeing with your assesment mate, I'm completing it.

As long as you ignore Hamas's part in these actions, no matter how large you type, your picture is incomplete.

Very incomplete.

I'm not disagreeing with your assesment mate...

For the gazillionth time... <span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>It's not MY assessment!!</span>  banghead.gif

What is <span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>YOUR assessment?</span>

Either you agree with the one you have given or you don't.

What is <span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>your assessment?</span>

I'm inclined to agree with the Israeli intelligence assessment because it makes sense.  

To win this April's elections Hamas is desperately trying to prove that it is capable of effectively representing the Palestinian people and controlling all militants.  So, everytime a ceasefire that Hamas signs on behalf of the Palestinian people gets broken by whoever the people lose confidence in them.  This desire of Hamas to control the rocketfire by all Palestinian factions was mentioned again 2 days ago:

Quote[/b] ]Bardawil added that Hamas would, as a part of a ceasefire, agree to stop firing projectiles into Israel. However, he said Hamas asked for Egypt's help in convincing other factions to restrain themselves.

-- Jerusalem Post

On the other hand, my assessment of how Hamas will behave after this April's elections is probably quite similar to your assessment, especially if they lose power.

I put it to you that the Israeli's have a need to declare that they have beaten Hamas and stopped them firing rockets to their people, since that was their primary war aim.

Or lose their jobs in the next election.

I also put it to you, that the same people who are firing rockets this week are the same people who were firing them last week. The week before and the week before that.

That the people who know how to make rockets, who have the tools to make rockets, who have supply of the materials to make rockets are the same people they always have been.

Israel was happy to label them all under the blanket name "Hamas" one month ago, but now it wants to differentiate between sub-factions splinter cells and "angry young men".

I'm watching the current situation in North Korea with quite a bit of concern. I really hope China und Russia won't interfere again and put their veto against a proper resolution by the security council.

I understand that both countries don't want a US military presence just next to their borders and I think its time for the US to ensure that they would pull out of Korea in a case of reunification, since I think thats the most important factor for both countries working against a unified Korea.

Never the less, not only regarding the situation in Korea itself and the misery their people are suffering in, Kim Jong-il is a sick person that has to be removed. Its ridiculous that such a country can cause so much unrest in the region.

Edited by kavoven

And yes I honestly believe that a government can be bombed out of existance.

We just did it to Saddam's government the other year. We did it to*Germany's. Japan's.

This has been successfully achieved time and time again throughout history.

I mean Vietnam, guerilla warefare can take you a long way i think if used properly.

I don't think that wide spread military actions are the right solutions to this since many innocent people would suffer, too. You need a clean operation eliminating only certain people if you want to do this by force.

But I don't know how many people are behind Kim that are able to replace him and continue his politics.

First thing is to make sure that China and Russia are with us.

Edit

Just read an interesting interview. This person points out that the collaps of the North Korean regime would result in millions of refuges trying to pass the border to China (can't pass to the south because of all those mine fields I expect)

Edited by kavoven

North Korea is too strong. They can't afford to eat, but they can't afford to get invaded again either.

Can't invade them, can't bribe them.

All it will take is for one mad general on either side.

Hi all

Resolutions from the UN do not mean much so whether Russia and China weigh in means little.

Kind Regards walker

North Korea is too strong. They can't afford to eat, but they can't afford to get invaded again either.

Can't invade them, can't bribe them.

All it will take is for one mad general on either side.

Just cut of all supplies. When theres no food for the military left, it'll turn against their leader.

Just cut of all supplies. When theres no food for the military left, it'll turn against their leader.

Or start to plunder, pillage and burn neighbouring countries.

See Cambodia under Pol Pot 1975-1979.

By the way, the media is also doing its own "work". Looks more like inflammatory propaganda to me.

I don't believe the North Koreans would start the war by themselves. It's the US provocations that make them act.

See Gulf of Tonkin incident that started Vietnam war. And just now they want to repeat that by "searching" North Korean ships?

Honestly, which government would not see that as a provocation? (German probably. Shitting their pants on everything)

Edited by Andi

I think the possibility of DPRK exporting WMD tech is the real concern, and the reason for ROK involvement of PSI (Proliferation Security Initiative). If DPRK demonstrated responsibility and a gram of human rights, ROK wouldn't need to give them a reason to complain.

They didn't last time.

Plus who wants a revolution in a nuclear armed country?

The chances are they are selling their nuclear and rocket tech for food already.

Better we are the customers than others.

So....lemme see if I got this correctly.

The U.S. goes to the left, and Europe goes to the right...

Granted Europe's "right" is like America's "Gay Tree Huggers For Ralph Nader" Party...

But still. What's up with that?

PS...They got rid of my trademark "straight-face" icon...wtf with that too?

The Labour Party in the UK is having major problems with the spending scandal, various cabinet resignations, and etc. So, it isn't suprising that the Conservatives have gained the upper hand in that country.

The Republicans here might win the New Jersey governorship because Corzine is unpopular.

There is a global recession, it isn't suprising right wing parties are getting more votes everywhere.

Not me.

That would be like giving it a moral mandate.

Did the Piracy Party get in?

The Labour Party in the UK is having major problems with the spending scandal, various cabinet resignations, and etc. So, it isn't suprising that the Conservatives have gained the upper hand in that country.

The expenses scandal is a party wide thing. The Conservatives had their hands in the pie too, and are just as bad as Labour if not worse. Labour is taking most of the flak but most folk don't like any of the parties after they found out about the scandal.

Not me.

That would be like giving it a moral mandate.

Did the Piracy Party get in?

Yeah they got 7,1 % and 4% is the edge. The pp got lots of young people between 18-30 to get excited in politics actually..

Also if the Lissabon treaty gets real they might get in 2 and not just 1 of their reps into the Brussels.

The old school parties are in shock and awe of the Pp's pwnage :D

Also I belive people are afraid that the politicians wanna import the CCtv society but a online version to Sweden and that makes people freak out, and also some just voted them as a protest against the goverment of course..

all the Laws being disscussed and implemented Like Acta, Ipred is scary and people are seriosuly wondering if democracy is at risc.

Edited by Commando84

Democracy is very much at risk.

One of the basic tenets' of democracy is consentual rule.

Our national government doesn't have the consent of our people, and the EU doesn't either.

We had a 30% turnout, with 1/5 th of those that voted at all, voting to leave the EU completely.

Democracy isn't just at risk where I come from, it's a thing of the past.

Democracy is very much at risk.

One of the basic tenets' of democracy is consentual rule.

Our national government doesn't have the consent of our people, and the EU doesn't either.

We had a 30% turnout, with 1/5 th of those that voted at all, voting to leave the EU completely.

Democracy isn't just at risk where I come from, it's a thing of the past.

Dude aren't you way to negative :D

There is still chance to work things out but hey maybe its just me being overly positive :)

The idea that things might "work out" makes me want to cry. It has to stop. I'm not willing to live here if things just get ignored and carry on as they are.

We can't move forward until we recognise where we are.

Not many here want the government we have, not the people, not the system. Not many here wants the EU either.

But we have been disenfranchised, we have no say.

We don't want whats on offer and currently I can't see any way of us getting free of it without going to war.

Really mate, politically speaking, things here are not good.

This country is full of rage.

Edited by Baff1

The fall of the wall has paved the way for fascists all over Europe. It truly was an anti-fascist wall of defence. If fascists get elected again after 70 years it shows that liberalism and capitalism are shit. I would gladly prefer a Cuban type of system any day, just like the majority of the Russian and Ukranian people, or the majority of the inhabitants of East Germany. Now even the Latvians voted for pro-soviet candidates. And the czech and french communists gained ground.

Too bad all left-wing parties have been eradicated in the UK. They have no capital or funding like the other parties to reach out to the masses and inform people about their politics. The parties with the biggest wallets (i.e capitalist support) win. There are no alternatives in british politics. All parties are factions of the same business-party.