Sign in to follow this  
esti_the_big

An unconfortable rumour from e3 concerning ofp2...

This quote was taken from a big german games mag, they had it in their E3-report. It was an article about the "big" games that were missing at the E3 (Duke Nukem, GTA san andreas, gothic 3 and NFS2 Underground were also in the article):

It's german, here's the translation:

Quote[/b] ]You didn't see anything of OFP2 except Marek Spanel (company boss of Flashpoint creator BIS). Rumours claim that Codemasters want to develop the second part of OFP by themselves, because the Czech guys are relaxing too much on their success from OFP1.

(PcGames Mag, issue 07/04 june) page 78, "star search topic")

Well, german PC Mags are known to be the most objective and best made mags in any country at all (this aint a lie, its true, especially companies like the german mags for their objectivness. Germany is the 2nd largest PCgames market in the world, and the mags have an excellent reputation in the gaming industry & community and a lot of connections to companies).

It's just a rumour, but it explains the absence of OFP2 at E3, the secretkeeping and the lack of information pretty well. And as I said above, german mags have a lot of connections because of their good reputation...

wow_o.gifrock.gif

relax my butt......

Bis has provided us with engine updates for the longest time, and they told us that they have been working on it. Why would they lie?

Quote[/b] ]Rumours claim that Codemasters want to develop the second part of OFP by themselves

Red Hammer anyone? icon_thumbsdown.gif

Besides, isn't the OFP engine owned exclusivly by BIS?

Final edit: If this story is fact, I think what codemasters is trying to do is sell quantity. Not quality. They want a product to compete with BF and the other 'non-simulative' combat games, and those type of games usually 'repeat' themselves with a sequel with little difference from the previous version once every year, year and a half or so.

For me, if OFPII were to end up as a half-assed POS that will end up on the shelves in less than six months. I'd walk away from the series, and never forgive those who ruined it. I'm looking square in the eye of codemasters here.

I want OFPII to be a high quality peice of work. It can't be rushed by a stroppy executive who want's a product he can flog off as soon as possible. It's got to be done by the right people, who know what the core OFP community want. A competitor for EA's BF series is not what I want. I want something with much more quality than any of 'those' games. Something built to last.

1) Codemasters do not have the skills to make anything near what OFP2 consists of.

2) Codemasters do not own any of the code.

3) BIS are the hardest working developers I know. Maybe working on squeezing OFP into the 64MB

memory of the XBOX during Christmas is considered "slack" by Codemasters.

4) Do not believe everything you read in a magazine. Considering the above it is unlikely

Codemasters have any such viewpoint.

Hmm, I'm inclined to lock this as an unsubstantiated rumour, but I would like to give someone at BIS the opportunity to answer...

Lock it, these forums are for the discussion of all things OFP not for the developers to justify their work ethic.

Impossible!Codemasters doesn`t have the source code to the OF engine so they could in no way add: JIP,DiretX9 features, streaming terain if they break up from BIS.

Codemasters in only the publisher so if they want to release something connected with OF(Red Hammer) they have to reach an agreenment with BIS.

I think this rumour as always started from the peanut gallery who fastly reached this absurd conclusion after not finding any new information at E3.

If they CM even would develop this, I don't think any of us would like the game.

OFP is the best war game I've ever seen in my life.

This is very unlikely, because of several reasons already posted above. More likely to me would be another rumour from several month back (also posted somewhere here, iirc), where BIS might oust Codemasters as publisher for OFP2, however, I am now to lazy to search for it and as there are no news in that direction it would also make no sense to dig it up right now...

Well, german PC Mags are known to be the most objective and best made mags in any country at all (this aint a lie, its true, especially companies like the german mags for their objectivness. Germany is the 2nd largest PCgames market in the world, and the mags have an excellent reputation in the gaming industry & community and a lot of connections to companies).

It's just a rumour, but it explains the absence of OFP2 at E3, the secretkeeping and the lack of information pretty well. And as I said above, german mags have a lot of connections because of their good reputation...

If german games mags are the best in the world then i am really sorry for the rest of the world, as i don't think german mags are anything near being objective. All those rave reviews of buggy games... If you want a good review of a game go into usenet and check the games newsgroups, yo will get a pretty good impression of any game, although not before it is available in any way of course.

I can't believe I had to interrupt my morning siesta to come here. Now I must go, we're having a dive bombing competition in the pool smile_o.gif