Sign in to follow this  
pogingwapo

Ofp limitations

I was shocked by the fact that somebody has "broken the limitations of OFP"-the MCAR project.

Is it also possible to make a working Commander's machine-gun in tanks or improve the capabilities of ship models?

Could anyone please list the limitations of OFP and if some MOD team has solved it already.

OFP limits have been discussed throughtout these forums since the start.That would be alot or reading and I can say a few off the top of my head.These limits have been addressed in XBox version and the newere VBS1 I believe ,so OFP2 should be real sweet.

The tank extra gunner is not realistically possible yet.FAB was working on one,whether he was creating the bullets or such I am not sure,you can't reliabliable do it yet.Setpos a turret doesn't work well on items that can tilt with the ground as we have no way to bank/tilt/angle something in that aspect.

Extra ship turrets work well because a ship stays flat and this has been done,but again,not sure how reliable it would be in a multiplayer game.

Some limits:

64x64x64 geometry limit

128 named component limits

100x100x100 roadway limit (not completely tested,be safe to go 64x64x64)

Can't fire from vehicle positions (driver,cargo etc...)

Only one mgun firing point from all vehicles

can't have rotating turrets on planes

can't walk on moving vehicles

only one directional rotation per animation axis (except with character animations)

can't swim in water

can't bank/angle/pivot items

can't tell the size of a vehicle (bumper - bumper)

some I am missing and some have been overcome somewhat

Some of the biggest limitations have been overcome by serious suggestions from people in the forums and BIS developers taking note and doing some work:

functions, event handlers, onmapsingleclick etc. etc.

and all have added to the overall usefulness of OFP for enhanced entertainment and probably VBS1 for training.

One "limitation" overcome by users that stands out lately is the Mil-Grid from WGL guys...

smile_o.gif

coc made working divers do

(men becom vehicels or something like that)

Only one mgun firing point from all vehicles

Hey, didn't OFP Sci-Fi come up with a working script for one of their Warhammer 40k tanks that was spitting out fire from a total of 3 sources into 3 directions simultaneously? I have a video from it on my HD... a pity they never got around to sharing it... a lot of good addons could have profited immensely from its application...

the thing about that was though that whenever it would hit a bump in the ground the other gun turrets wouldnt move or anything so it looked really weird especially while going up a hill.

Quote[/b] ]Mil-Grid from WGL guys

What do you mean? map grid changed from 128x128 to 100x100?

so far all we could do is bypassing the limits with script or other things and it is not prefcet

You can still have a turret on the top of an abrams tank, aka, having a maching gun moving around up there.  I guy built a version of the bis tank with a hatch on the left side open, and a 4th man, not offical part of the tank, but he is manning a M2 machine gun on a pivot thing that was put there in the hole by scripts and it looks awesome too.  

Thats the only way you can do it.  I'm considering of doing it with tanks for my modification too.

Oh ya, anyone know how to position a addon on another addon and keep it there because I don't udnerstand how the guy did it..

~Bmgarcangel

coc made working divers do

(men becom vehicels or something like that)

and USCG improved the divers to allow you to board stoped ships smile_o.gif

NOpe what he means is

instead of "I36" being a map grid ref they have accomodated proper military grid references eg

021 034

biggrin_o.gif

NOpe what he means is

instead of "I36" being a map grid ref they have accomodated proper military grid references eg

021 034

biggrin_o.gif

maybe US maps were only numbers but all soviets maps i've seen were nums+letters wink_o.gif

I was taught USMC Land Nav via the LL## system.

then i dont see any realism improvements in WGL map coordinate system wink_o.gif

Looked like he modified the OFP engine.

Illegal? Perhaps. Beautiful? YES biggrin_o.gif

GJ!

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gif

WOW!!!

Now THAT'S what I call water textures!!!

WHERE CAN I GET THOSE?!?!?

ÃœBER-COOL!!!

wow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gif

They arn't water textures.

He must of modified the engine like, to allow pixel shaders.. Absolutley amazing!

BIS, HIRE THIS GUY lol

Eheheh, it's as if we're telling BIS what the MINIMUM BAR is for what we expect OFP 2 to be! Way to go Kegetys! biggrin_o.gif

They arn't water textures.

He must of modified the engine like, to allow pixel shaders.. Absolutley amazing!

BIS, HIRE THIS GUY lol

It is done by intercepting Direct3D COM object calls, basically same method how people create wallhack cheats etc. in games. It is multiplayer compatible as OFP exe is modified in no way.

Actual code involved is surprisingly small, this screenshot below is done with less than 100 lines of C++ code and most of that is pixel shader.

wireframe.jpg

So when can we expect a release? lol smile_o.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, VERY NICE WORK!

Any way you can lift the other OFP limitations?

WGL grids are 100x100 and use a NATO standard six-digit system.