Sign in to follow this  
drow

Ofp re-playability factor

Im sure im not the only one who buys every new game and still goes back to playing ofp daily after the new game looses its 5 minute buzz.

OFP has some magical lure to it, wouldnt you aggree?

I mean games that "appear" much better get borring for me in a matter of days (or weeks if the game is really great) but ofp has had me hooked for years now! wow_o.gif

Im affraid for OFPs future now that soldner is out, but the guys in that game seem to lack character and they just dont have that gritty realism that ofp has, maybe thats the key, it had a gritty un-polished real essence to it...

not to mention the actual fear i felt when i first played ofp.

smile_o.gif

and now that I mod, I always searching for that shiver down the spine. biggrin_o.gif

I think that's because of the width of OFP, the vehicles and large areas, and the vital modding community...

every game might as well release an editor,

VIETCONG didnt, then their community died, then they released it...

bad timing.

biggrin_o.gif I totally know what you are talking about,I have bought tons of games but I keep coming back to ofp. A good example of this is far cry. I bought it, it was beautiful, and it was on the shelf within a week. Ofp just has so many possibilities and the game play in my opinion is second to none. smile_o.gif

OFP lives becuase of its editor. Not just because it exists, but because its probably the best out there. It's extremely simple to start on, yet can handle anything you want. Not to mention that OFP has islands, and not maps. You get tired of say, a ghost recon map, real quick, but an island takes months to know all the areas. Ghost recon has awesome AI and better graphics, but it has a complicated editor. Call of Duty looks terrific, and is also the only game that has made me literally duck while playing, but the editor sucks, and the only multiplayer is pretty much just counterstrike. OFP has the community, the multiplayer, and the editor all perfect.

Indeed, it's mostly the editor, for me atleast. You don't have to engage in a twenty mission long campaign to be immersed if you don't want to. You can just slap a few OPFOR soldiers, a few BLUFOR soldiers, some AI waypoinst on your island of choice and voilá you have a "mission" fit for a good thirty minutes or more of play.

Not to mention the ability to simulate military operations in minute detail. Makes the game virtually endless, although I do find myself tired of it at times, but it usually only lasts for a day or two, or until I realize that the other games just get boring!

I understand exactly what you mean drow.

The single key to OPFs success is its REALISM. It is not a realistic game. More of a real life battlefield soldier physics simulator.

The most important thing to realism in a game is realistic physics and human movements. No other game has tried to match realism the way OPF has.

That physical realism to the real life battlefield has made it a very versatile game since real life is itself versatile.

Most any combat scenario that happens in real life can be duplicated in the game.

The only thing that hinders this games possibilities is one of its most important. The Mission Editor. It is so difficult to use. I have been using it to create my own combat/battlefield situations and I still have alot of problems knowing how to make certain things happen.

I have no idea what a script or anything like that is.

The only thing I know how to do is spawn units and give them waypoints(you can do some really interesting stuff like that such as having a squad board a truck and be dropped off on another part of the map to attack a village).

But it is as if you need to be a computer programmer to really use the editor.

I hope this is simplified in the next game.

Baron is right, but OFP has in my opinion one of the most comprehensive and easy editors out there.

Even I (I'm almost completely computer-illiterate) happen to know basics of mission editing for OFP (briefing, intro, mission, outro, waypoints, scripting etc etc).

LONG LIVE THE EDITOR!!

One problem with is though... It ruins all the other editors out there, and makes em so brutal.

The only other editor i can think of that compares to OFP is the old Starcraft editor.

biggrin_o.gif  I totally know what you are talking about,I have bought tons of games but I keep coming back to ofp. A good example of this is far cry. I bought it, it was beautiful, and it was on the shelf within a week. Ofp just has so many possibilities and the game play in my opinion is second to none. smile_o.gif

HOLY SHIT DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR!

i bought farcry too, and for gods sakes man, i thought i was damn good at killing badguys and holy shit is that game hard, im pretty sure it was on easy but man, it seems like its on hard because i cant get through the levels without playing them a million times to memorize the AI and shit, not what i call fun.

playing VIETCONG on vietnam mode is far easier.

((((you guys should try - Hidden and Dangerous 2))))) <<< wink_o.gif  not that i play it anymore :P but i did for a few weeks and it was the best thing since ofp, it has alot of elements straight from ofp, as well as ragdoll physics on bodies for added fun.

biggrin_o.gif

edit - GUYS! i cant stress enuff how u should try that game

H&D2 CHECK IT!

trust me, seeing these screens again makes me want to reinstall this bitch :P

I played Far Cry nightly and it was over within the week too.

At first it was the vehicles that attracted me to OFP, still love the choppers and tanks that came with it.I collected missions at first,made my own,got into scripting for the longest time and even making addons and it even furthered my interests in making 3d stuff for games in general.But nothing else satisfies like OFP,whether you want to play serious or mess around.Can keep busy just checking out addons.Can use a combination of forementioned areas I have had of interests and keep going and going ,just like the Energizer Bunny.

I think its the no boundries (seriously, no ingame boundries) and the replayability.The realism.

The intense gameplay,trying to sneak up on enemy tanks,getting lost out to sea, haven't we all been there.

I think its still funny and they had some great salesman to sell the game to the Marines and the soldiers can't even swim,lol

Is strengths overcomes any weaknesses

Can't wait for OFP2

The reason I stick around is the community. We are all such a tightly knit bunch and most other games just don't have that. Everyone knows everyone, maybe not personally, but they've heard their names. Thanks to everyone in this great community! We make this game as fun as it is (with help from BIS in creating the game of course tounge_o.gif)!

biggrin_o.gif  I totally know what you are talking about,I have bought tons of games but I keep coming back to ofp. A good example of this is far cry. I bought it, it was beautiful, and it was on the shelf within a week. Ofp just has so many possibilities and the game play in my opinion is second to none. smile_o.gif

HOLY SHIT DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR!

i bought farcry too, and for gods sakes man, i thought i was damn good at killing badguys and holy shit is that game hard, im pretty sure it was on easy but man, it seems like its on hard because i cant get through the levels without playing them a million times to memorize the AI and shit, not what i call fun.

playing VIETCONG on vietnam mode is far easier.

((((you guys should try - Hidden and Dangerous 2))))) <<< wink_o.gif  not that i play it anymore :P but i did for a few weeks and it was the best thing since ofp, it has alot of elements straight from ofp, as well as ragdoll physics on bodies for added fun.

biggrin_o.gif

edit - GUYS! i cant stress enuff how u should try that game

H&D2 CHECK IT!

trust me, seeing these screens again makes me want to reinstall this bitch :P

in fact if you look indeep into the game, you will find that the BIS guys actural learn something from H&D1, but turn it into something better

there is many factor that makes this game alive for so long, and we will all looking forward to see all these factor in OFP2 smile_o.gif (screw shinily gfx, we want realism)

For the first time i have played OFP i was a little dissapointed - what for all those keys??? U need to know how move and shoot smile_o.gif

"Take the car" - hmm, ok i can see some buildings, trees, bushes, ect, and where is enemy??? - for about 30 sec, than KIA, heh smile_o.gif

It took me some time to learn that u need to think first, than shoot, and it made this game different for me - used to play doom-like shooters.

Some time later i have discovered online community - new addons, maps, campaigns, and i saw OFP from other point of view.

Maybe it doesn't look as sexy as Far cry, or Chrome, but - u want by foot? - no prob, tanks? - as u wish, choppers, planes? - u r welcomed. Want to change side? - just tell which one.

And comparing "old" OFP with what we have now - it is absolutely diffrent game!!!

So for all addon-makers, scripters, mission makers, and all ppl who helped to change this game :

ATTENTION!

HURRAY!!

HURRAY!!

HURRAY!!

Release.

Ialso play OFP for years now.

I think the main reasons for that are the width ogf the game (you do jst about anything), the mod community (on day I play FDF, I get bored and start up WW2 mods again and that goes on and on) and the fact that the editor (o2) is there since I also model myself. It's just a lot of fun making something yourself and using it.

I have been playing OFP for many years. The editor keeps driving me. Just the many little missions I have is engoungh to keep this game going and when I finsh them all. Back to the blue board. Not many games for me. Hve even reached Flashpoint level. I still play it daily and I failed year 8 becuase I played it to much and had to move schools so I can go up a level. smile_o.gif

yeah. I'm pretty addicted. Its like smoking. But this theres no Nicotine for it. Unless there a better game out. Which there isnt sad_o.gif

yeah. I'm pretty addicted. Its like smoking. But this theres no Nicotine for it. Unless there a better game out. Which there isnt sad_o.gif

OFP as a gateway drug to something stronger? Boy, I bet you're gonna be in trouble when OFP2 comes out -- I hope you have graduated by then! smile_o.gif

OFP as a gateway drug to something stronger? Boy, I bet you're gonna be in trouble when OFP2 comes out -- I hope you have graduated by then!  smile_o.gif

LOL  biggrin_o.gif

OFP 2 will be killer for sure!

I still play it daily and I failed year 8 becuase I played it to much and had to move schools so I can go up a level. smile_o.gif

While OFP didn't effect my High School education to that extent. I will say that for a whole year over years 10 and 11, I did not do an ounce of homework, exceptions being assignments (often with a grudge).

I can't pinpoint what it is about OFP that makes it so great,  but it gives a continuous buzz that doesn't seem to fade.

What I enoy about it most is the freedom that's offered, combined with the realism. Nothing else has come close.

I think a big part of its lure is "the open range" that ofp gives us.

Massive open landscapes, that keeps the scope feeling huge, like u can do anything u want biggrin_o.gif

The reason I stick around is the community.  We are all such a tightly knit bunch and most other games just don't have that.  Everyone knows everyone, maybe not personally, but they've heard their names.  Thanks to everyone in this great community!  We make this game as fun as it is (with help from BIS in creating the game of course tounge_o.gif)!

Thats one of the main reasons Im still playing ofp. Most of my contacts on msn are friends made in the community (could just be because im a sad bastard though).

As soon as I got ofp I fired up the editor and was hooked on it straight away. Took me awhile to get involved in the community (I lost my cd-key and uninstalled ofp to make room for some other crappy game that was gone in 2 seconds) but when I did I found out about scripting and all the possibilitys ofp has to offer and the fact every man and his dog would jump at a chance to teach me how to do something I couldnt.

After a while I was hooked on addons and tried to download everything I could find. That was when I started to notice the horrible lack of Brit kit, was stuck using crappy old VIA_SAS for way too long tounge_o.gif

I've been in a squad(couldnt resist wink_o.gif ) for 6-7 months now and have progressed quite far up the chain of command, thats kept me playing the game for a while and will continue to do so.