Sign in to follow this  
lowang

Why does ofp platinum offer resistance first?

I think its wrong when OFP platinum has chosen Resistance campaign by default! Many players buy this game first time and they do not have any previous version of OFP. But when they want to start a game, they usually will not realize, that Resistance is a significantly more difficult datadisk and they should start rather with Cold War Crisis which is under that small arrow on the right! I think you cannot rely on their knowledge, they didn't all read reviews in game magazins to know that they should switch to CWC campaign if they are playing it for the first time.

Yes it's the detail, but BIS you really think veteran player, who know, often buy OFP platinum edition?

Unfortunately you cannot fix this already...

(more speculation from me) If Resistance is selected by default it is becasue it is a better product of BIS. It would be foolish to select OFPV1.2 first and have clients complain that it lacks the promised features or throw the CD in the closet. "Show me the money" or in this case "Show me the stuff". I am sure many people are satisfied with having Res as the default, as it contains all of OFP1.2 and then some...

Better product? OK there are some new features, which some clients could demand... BUT for a beginner it's really not easy to play Resistance if he didn't play any flashpoint before! OMG just imagine yourself being a newbie and playing Resistance before anything else just because you didn't notice there is another campaign! In cold war crisis there are many hints and many "training" missions and you play 19missions under control of an officier having plenty of time to know every vehicle and weapon without having to bother with commanding other soldiers!

In Resistance you are immediately a commander and I think many beginners would be frightened of what this game demands from them if they didn't realize, it's a datadisk!

I think there is no reason to be ashamed of Cold War Crisis and not making it first be default, like all other games do! I think it's quite normal to play first the original game and then a datadisk. That does not matter a bit, that Resistance happens before CWC. We all played CWC and then Resistance, so why wouldn't beginners too? I am sure no one would enjoy Resistance if he didn't play CWC first because it would by simply too difficult for him...

Ok, I thoguht you meant Resistance vs OFP1.2, but you mean CWC campaign vs resistance campaign under the same OFP version? Sorry I don't have platinum, I don't even have GOTY, I'm in Canada where such things are hard to get. wink_o.gif

I didn't even know that there was a Platinum Edition. I thought the last release was going to be GOTY.

As for why the Resistance campaign is auto-selected, I'd guess that it had to with the graphics quality between Everon/Malden/Kolgujev and Nogova. Someone who automatically starts with CWC might be in for a rude shock if they've been looking at screenshots of Resistance. Better to give them what they've seen, and let them find the "Classic" stuff by themselves.

I am from Czech Republic and here it's known as Platinum edition although the autorun image says its "game of the year", but the desktop shortcut is named "Operation Flashpoint Platinum" maybe because the previous version was gold...But it's definitelly all the same and we have no special version.

I still say that the "shock" from everon after watching the resistance pictures is irrelevant and silly. The reasons why everybody new to OFP shoul play CWC campaign BEFORE any datadisk campaigns are clear and if not, read my previous posts.

If some game contains the original game and the datadisk too, its normal to have two launcher icons or if it doesn't, to have two menu items when the original game is always the first in order. I don't understand why BIS did this this way? GOTY edition is mainly for newcomers, but thay will be mostly disappointed by this...

I am from Czech Republic and here it's known as Platinum edition

Ahh yes, we have some of those in the office and I just checked "Platinová Edice" smile_o.gif