Sign in to follow this  
Thud_and_Blunder

"US Air Force fighter 'community' shaken"

Yeah right... that is the reason for sure, they set up the exercise with some unqualified pilot in US aircraft on purpose too. biggrin_o.gif

PlAcEbO - sometimes you're just that little bit too cruel, even for OFP!  Now, can I have my headline back, neatly, capitals where appropriate, as I wrote it?  Pretty please?!

Hehehe sure smile_o.gif

Let me know what you want to be uppercase/lowercase and I'll fix it smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif Thanks Placebo

It was: US Air Force fighter 'community' shaken

Taking up the point made by Tovarish - good spot by the way - I'll get onto Flight International and tell my ex-QFI from 1976 - who's now one of their editors - to pull his finger out!

Excellent website put up by the IAF - I was particularly struck by the following passage:

Quote[/b] ]Another challenge for U.S. crewmembers is the subtle language differences. Although all the Indian airmen participating in the exercise speak fluent English, their speech is quicker, and the musical quality of their voices is something American ears here must quickly adjust to, officials said. “We’ve agreed to use U.S. communication terms during radio calls throughout the air engagements since the Indian air force will be participating in Cooperative Cope Thunder exercise later this year,†Captain Snowden said. The Indian airmen plan to take fighter, tanker and airlift aircraft plus a man-portable air-defense team and ground controllers to the annual multilateral exercise in Alaska run by Pacific Air Forces.

In other words, y'all r gunna havta slow down to ar way uv thinkin 'n speakin, cuz we reck'n we bin doin English longer'n youse all. Jus cuz we don' cope wi thingz in yore countree don' mean wur gonna change anythin' wen u cum Stateside...

Fact is, the Indian Air Force is a competent, world class organisation with battle experience among its senior ranks. It has an old fashioned "work hard, fight hard" ethos - sadly reflected in its old-fashioned accident rates - and should never to be taken lightly by any neo-colonial bunch of bigots. Not that I'm accusing the good folk of Elmendorf of any such folly, natch. I thought it was just we Brits who were arrogant when overseas... rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Special/CopeIndia/USAF12.jpg

I thought fighter pilots couldn't wear glasses.  rock.gif

Though you will, in most airforces, not be allowed in if you wear glasses when you enlist most will make allowances for glasses during your career. After all, as a fighter pilot, they have invested in you training wise in quite large manner. In the dutch airforce they can even have your helmets visor cut like a lens so you dont need glasses while flying smile_o.gif

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Special/CopeIndia/USAF12.jpg

I thought fighter pilots couldn't wear glasses.  rock.gif

Though you will, in most airforces, not be allowed in if you wear glasses when you enlist most will make allowances for glasses during your career. After all, as a fighter pilot, they have invested in you training wise in quite large manner. In the dutch airforce they can even have your helmets visor cut like a lens so you dont need glasses while flying smile_o.gif

Correct. You can go half blind when your in and they won't kick you out!

4 of my instructors wore glasses when flying, although they would always try to hide them behind their visor! The regulations for eyesight are for new recruits. Experienced pilots are too valuable to kick out when their vision goes a little.

Taking up the point made by Tovarish - good spot by the way - I'll get onto Flight International and tell my ex-QFI from 1976 - who's now one of their editors - to pull his finger out!

Not surprizing really since the only Su-30's most people have heard of is the MK with "Supermaneuverability". The original Su-30 was just a multirole enhancement of the Su-27, and the only significant differences between the Su-30K and Su-27B as far as air to air combat goes is the back seater, and the ability to carry the R-77/AA-12.

P.S. Does anyone still have that free Su-30MK sim that was posted ages ago? I don't think you can download it off the net anymore sad_o.gif.

I have the Supermanouver.old archives if that's what you mean. smile_o.gif Let me set up a server for you to DL it, I'll PM you.

Thanks bn880, apparently there's a newer version hosted by sukhoi.ru, but the download's password protected. sad_o.gif

I've always wondered why India and the US never had closer ties. I know India was a pillar of the non-aligned movement in the cold war, but they're also the largest democracy in the world. I've always thought that India would make a much better trade partner than the PRC and a much more useful ally.