Sign in to follow this  
-STO-Badblood

Best headset ???

I am looking to by a good headset. Getting too many complaints about background noise from my desktop Telex USB mic.

Thinking of Plantronics DSP-500 USB. Concerned a little since it has it's own sound card built into the USB cable. May conflict in OFP and/or prevent me from switching to desktop speakers when it's time to REALLY crank up those sweet sounds of death.

Also considering a Plantronics Audio 90 which plugs into the PC sound card.

Anybody have any experience with the ones above or have better suggestion ?  rock.gif

Get the new dolby surround headset. I have been told it realy works!

But dont listen too much to opinions. I tried the headsets in the shop and found that one of the cheapest pleased me most.

I've got a KOSS R/65B headset that I use when playing VON-enabled games. The headset is nicely padded and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, and has a decent microphone.

If I could change one thing, I would get something that was wireless, somehow the cable of the KOSS always falls across my arm or lap in an uncomfortable way and distracts me.

I do some of my work remote so VON is a must for me. I usually have fairly long conversations and I like to walk around in my appartment and from time to time step out on the balcony for a smoke. So wireless was the only choice for me. I use an Epox Bluetooth headset:

17435.jpg. It's small and fits comortably behind the ear. Seven hours talk time and 256 hours standby.

For the bluetooth connection, I use a Belkin Bluetooth dongle

STD1_F8T003.jpg.

I get good reception in a radius of about 10 m. The down side with the head set is that it was designed for mobile phones so the sound quality is not too god (slightly better than phone quality). It's more than adequate for VON, but you can't use it for voice recognition, gaming or anything that requires higher audio quality.

It was fairly cheap as well. Some 70 € for the headset and 30 € for the bluetooth adapter.

Badblood @ May 22 2004,03:13)]Also considering a Plantronics Audio 90 which plugs into the PC sound card.

I have the .Audio 90, have had it for awhile now and I couldnt be more happy with it.

its comfortable even after wearing long perios of time

sound quality in both mic and headphones are excelent

long cable, so none of that pansy 2-3 feet of cable

not insanely priced

not sure of the term for it (surround sound perhaps) but the sound appears to come from the direction not just in all earphones like some (you can turn to face another direction and the sound will move with you, very handy)

Badblood @ May 22 2004,03:13)]Also considering a Plantronics Audio 90 which plugs into the PC sound card.

I have the .Audio 90, have had it for awhile now and I couldnt be more happy with it.

not insanely priced

not sure of the term for it (surround sound perhaps) but the sound appears to come from the direction not just in all earphones like some (you can turn to face another direction and the sound will move with you, very handy)

I also have this headset and share the same view, great headset for its price.

And I think you mean stereo Acidcrash wink_o.gif

Also, slightly on-topic, does anyone know how if there's anything I can do to have both the headset and speakers plugged in at once? It's a pain having to go round the back of the computer to unplug/plug the headset. I've got an Audigy 2 without headphone port. sad_o.gif

[EDIT] Also there's a 1-year guarantee with the headset, though i'm constantly slamming them on the floor after frustration and they're still working. wink_o.gif

I would go with a Plantronics "Audio 90", too...it's really good for it's price. It's also available as didgital-headset but that's way to expensive if you ask me!

plantronics_audio_90.jpg

Audio 90

Greetz

Plage

not insanely priced

I also have this headset and share the same view, great headset for its price.

And I think you mean stereo Acidcrash  wink_o.gif

Also, slightly on-topic, does anyone know how if there's anything I can do to have both the headset and speakers plugged in at once? It's a pain having to go round the back of the computer to unplug/plug the headset. I've got an Audigy 2 without headphone port.  sad_o.gif

[EDIT] Also there's a 1-year guarantee with the headset, though i'm constantly slamming them on the floor after frustration and they're still working.  wink_o.gif

stereo, was thinking that but wasnt sure in that you have mono-vs stero in which thats 1 speaker vs 2 or more...

anyway

there is a headphone port (as well as 2nd mic port) on the front panel ... or is that on the platinum series upwards only?

Badblood @ May 21 2004,22:13)]Thinking of Plantronics DSP-500 USB. Concerned a little since it has it's own sound card built into the USB cable. May conflict in OFP and/or prevent me from switching to desktop speakers when it's time to REALLY crank up those sweet sounds of death.

Anybody have any experience with the ones above or have better suggestion ?  rock.gif

I have the Pantronics DSP-400 USB headset. It's the "travel" version, because it folds up and comes with a bag. I only use it for VON, and have nothing bad to say about it. In fact, I'm glad I got the folding travel version because I can "fold" the right earphone away from my ear, and use that ear to hear the in-game sounds from my speakers. The left earphone and mic I use for VON, so i never miss anything even when flying in the loud Littlebirds.

stereo, was thinking that but wasnt sure in that you have mono-vs stero in which thats 1 speaker vs 2 or more...

anyway

there is a headphone port (as well as 2nd mic port) on the front panel ... or is that on the platinum series upwards only?

No, mines is only the bog-standard bulk version. sad_o.gif

I'm sure you can buy something like a Y-connector or something for it, i've heard about it but never seen it.

GREAT great great responses! - Thank you all!

I've looked for product ratings through web searching but came up empty. I knew the right place to look was within the good people of the OFP community and here on the BI forums.

I think I'll go with the Plantronics Audio 90. You've said some good things and since it uses my sound card, I won't have to worry about switching and incompatibility.

Gameer - hope to give something back here - I use a switch to change from headset to speakers. You can get them anywhere (Comp USA - Radio Shack - etc...). Cheap ones work as good as expensive ones - and it should, it's just a switch damn it - lol. It basically just extends your sound card jacks. You plug your speakers and headset (or headphones and mic) into the switch. You can then switch between headset (or headphones and mic) to speakers. Below is an example of one - I actually use a cheap one from Rack Shack. No loss in sound quality and stereo is not compromised. You can get them from $10 to $60 - get the $10 brand, again it's just a switch.  

switch.jpg

Excellent, thanks - I didn't even realise plantronics done them, looks good too. I'll search about a bit and see about others, and thanks biggrin_o.gif

Enjoy your brilliant new headset. smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

<Snip>

Also, slightly on-topic, does anyone know how if there's anything I can do to have both the headset and speakers plugged in at once? It's a pain having to go round the back of the computer to unplug/plug the headset. I've got an Audigy 2 without headphone port.  sad_o.gif

</Snip>

I have my eadset plugged into a Sidewinder GameVoice, which like all Microsoft gaming peripherals, has been discontinued. sad_o.gif

But it does have a USB "puck" that sits on your desk that lets you mute the mike, select channels when using the GameVoice VON software, and switch between your regular speaker setup (5.1 in my case) and a headset that is plugged into the puck.

One downside is that I still need to configure my soundcard for a different speaker setup when switching or the rear speakers will continue to produce sounds, but at least I don't have to change any wiring.

One downside is that I still need to configure my soundcard for a different speaker setup when switching or the rear speakers will continue to produce sounds, but at least I don't have to change any wiring.

Yeah, that seems to be the only problem with these handy devices.

Amazon are selling the plantronics one for a tenner so I think i'll go with that. Only thing is it takes 1-2 weeks. crazy_o.gif

Thanks very much placebo, you caught me just in time - I was gonna order the amazon one today. smile_o.gif

Ta, you saved me a few quid and a long delivery... biggrin_o.gif

Woo! wow_o.gif

When I lived in England I must have spent close to Å2000 with Ebuyer and I was always happy with them, they have a great range of products, prices are always good and delivery is fast and reliable smile_o.gif