Sign in to follow this  
robbo

Vbs1 release

hmmm, 40euros for a couple eye candy animals?

i guess then it´d make 5euros for a mission

wow_o.gif

Saw the video and the screens.

Needless to say I liked it alot, though I`d never pay so much money for it.

I could get 10-12 other games for that price and this year for pc is looking very good on my behalf  smile_o.gif

I`ll wait until OPF2 for sure, but I`ll follow the news/reviews that comes up from this one if someone would indeed buy it.

Do you really think they cant get their hands on one in the EU?

Come on, thats not the reason its not available in North America.

I don't know what's the reason but this was just a first guess of mine...like I said, the US can just prevent selling this software in the US, this is for them still better than being freely available...

Anyway, I don't care about that all too much...

I asked, just in case:

Quote[/b] ]From: "BIA" <>

To: "W.M. Crielaard" <>

Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:41 PM

Subject: Re: Enquiry from Bohemia Interactive Australia On-Line Store

> Hi Matthijs

>

> Yes you can simply use these tools to make and import straight into VBS1.

>

> Kind Regards

> David Lagettie

> CEO Bohemia Interactive Australia P/L

> http://www.flashpoint1985.com

> http://www.virtualbattlespace.com

> http://www.bistudio.com

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: "W.M. Crielaard" <>

> To: "Bohemia Interactive Australia P/L" <>

> Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 3:06 AM

> Subject: Enquiry from Bohemia Interactive Australia On-Line Store

>

>

> >

> > Dear Mr/Mrs,

> >

> >

> > The feature list of your product states: "The ability to import your own

> customized units for specific training."

> > Does this include the use of self-made objects, created with Oxygen Light

> (Objectiv2 Light)?

> >

> > I hope to hear from you soon.

> >

> >

> > Kind regards,

> >

> > Matthijs Crielaard

> >

Sooo... all my hard earned money will be going to BIS now... sad_o.gif

wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I wish Coalescent would sell it like Bohemia Australia.Maybe they will see the light and sell it to whoever.I guess Ill just have to wait and see.

For all you US people.

I'll sell you VBS1, from the UK for the price of VBS1 + 15% of the price.

:P Just kidding, unless its not illeagal then contact me via email - lol ;)

-Z

Quote[/b] ]If you would like to play the game for free just sign this suscription form

That's for the Army, not the Coast Guard or Marines. And I can't join the ADF tounge_o.gif .

Wish it was available in U.S. sad_o.gif. Guess I can't get it.

Whats with the animals pack being $50? I mean, it only has 7 animals! Thats outrageous crazy_o.gif

I'm just wondering.. Are there any new scripting functions or snippets? Or have certain limitations been changed/removed from OFP1? (mutiple turrets, getting height above the land or above water, setbank/setpitch?)

no offense but this is pitiful, i would slap someone who would spend this much money on a damn game. Those units dont look anybetter than RHS's infantry, ORCS's vdv, and Earl and Sucheys Marines. In matter of fact those marines in those screen shots look like shit comapred to E&S's , IMHO. Well if any of you suckers by this and tell us how it is, then when ofp2 comes out tell us how much money you feel like you wasted. This truely is a last minute money grab, its obvious.

no offense but this is pitiful, i would slap someone who would spend this much money on a damn game. Those units dont look anybetter than RHS's infantry, ORCS's vdv, and Earl and Sucheys Marines. In matter of fact those marines in those screen shots look like shit comapred to E&S's , IMHO. Well if any of you suckers by this and tell us how it is, then when ofp2 comes out tell us how much money you feel like you wasted. This truely is a last minute money grab, its obvious.

No, its not a last minute money grab or even a game, It's a simulation that they are kindly offering to people to buy. If you think it's too much money don't buy it. Just don't call people "suckers" for buying it.

some of you's are still missing the point about price ....

>>>> VBS1, the training tool, its not targeted at us gamers <<<<

Wish it was available in U.S. sad_o.gif.  Guess I can't get it.  

Whats with the animals pack being $50?  I mean, it only has 7 animals!  Thats outrageous crazy_o.gif

this is for anyone who doesn't understand why the game is so expensive:

"- VBS1 is a low cost simulation system based on Operation Flashpoint engine.

- VBS1 is not a game and it has not intention to replace Operation Flashpoint for home entertainment."

this game is being marketed to military/police forces with huge budgets (i.e. lots of money to spend on "simulators")

if you think one of these 500$ systems is expensive, read this quote and article:

"The military is so convinced that technology will enhance its training methods that more than $45 million may be spent on the ICT project between 2000 and 2005."

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/11/22/war.games/

that's 45 MILLION dollars on ONE game that isn't even done yet. another $7.5 million was spent on the development of America's Army, and that was when they weren't even sure if it was going to be a success or not. the military has such a large budget that it can spend millions of dollars on "experiments" like AA or VBS1 and not have to worry about whether they will be successful or not

anyway, it seems to me at least that bis is just tryin to get in on the action...

Quote[/b] ]In matter of fact those marines in those screen shots look like shit comapred to E&S's

No they don't. Actually, they look as good if not better. Remember, the ones in VBS were made by teams who had financial motivation, Suchey made his Marine soldiers alone for free. His are still good, but they just don't look as good as the stuff in VBS1 . If you hadn't noticed, the Marine models in VBS have much more noticeable body armor, lots of interesting gadgets, and textures that are just as good as Suchey's .

usmc_1.jpg

What I would really like to know is,Will all of what you see in VBS1 be in OFP2?Im talking everything.Thats what I would like to see answered If i could.And another thing I think that Coalescent will never give in.Im guessing they are all about makeing that $$$$.Because on there site they had something that stated that you would have to pay for any new addon you needed for your sim.

Heh, some of you guys are pretty funny.

First, if you're looking for a game that's ten times better than OFP because it costs ten times as much, you're going to lose. OFP is a game; VBS is not.

Second, I am sure the community makes prettier addons, and you can download them for free. However:

A) some addon makers (for example, our group) explicitly forbid their addons for anything other than OFP and entertainment. In other words, not everything that's available for OFP as a free download is available for free to the military.

B) Pretty addons are nice, but far more important than eye-popping graphics are:

1) Addons that are complete. Some of the addons around here are available in MLOD only.

2) Addons that adhere to the same artistic standard. When designing a mission, it's important to have everything work the same. Imagine the performance dropoff between running from one group of 1200-poly, 256x256 textured soldiers to another with 6000-poly, 1024x1024 outfits.

3) Addons that adhere to the same .cpp standard. The popular addons around here often seem to have "killer" .cpp values.

In short, consistency is preferable to brilliance. For a training program, it's not critical that the marine's crotch bulge be to scale.

C) This stuff is being used in a professional context, as such it's often more effective (both in terms of cash and in terms of results) to specify exactly what you want, and have the professionals produce it for you. When you've got the choice to deploy something to say 50 labs at bases across the country, do you really want to risk some "sound not found" bug?

Quote[/b] ]This stuff is being used in a professional context, as such it's often more effective (both in terms of cash and in terms of results) to specify exactly what you want, and have the professionals produce it for you.  When you've got the choice to deploy something to say 50 labs at bases across the country, do you really want to risk some "sound not found" bug?

That's one of the reasons I'd love to get VBS. You could make much more realistic missions with all of the config values balanced to work realistically. In today's OFP, it can be very hard to use good-looking addons in missions, especially tanks. You end up with ridiculous scenarios, where light tanks kill heavy tanks because the addon makers used totally different config values. And I'd also like the more uniform standard of graphics, so I don't end up with a single beautiful tank being tailed by a bunch of ugly APCs. And, I'd also like to make some missions with the ADF wink_o.gif .

Im guessing they are all about makeing that $$$$.Because on there site they had something that stated that you would have to pay for any new addon you needed for your sim.

Duh. They're a business. Do you think they'd like to give out their stuff for free?

rock.giftounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

What are you saying I dont know Training software from Game software?Because Im pretty sure what VBS1 is and what it is used for.I just like to whinn about not being about to get a copy of it after so long of wanting it.To see what its like.

Im guessing they are all about makeing that $$$$.Because on there site they had something that stated that you would have to pay for any new addon you needed for your sim.

Duh. They're a business. Do you think they'd like to give out their stuff for free?

rock.gif  tounge_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

And just think of those guys working for CT and their children. Won't someone please think of the children!!!! sad_o.gif

what is up with all you guys, this is a SIMULATION and the prices are ok for governments.

Also stop sassing bis, saying that they took this and that addon. i am sure that if they did, they gave credit to the modmaker.

It is unfortunate those of us 'non-militant terrorists' in the USA can't purchase it, especially when VBS1 won't teach you how to be a suicide bomber or build/plant/detonate a WMD (you can find other sources on the 'net for that). As far as training a force - it takes a hell of a lot more to learn combat & tactics than sitting in front of a computer particularly when the real bullets start flying and real blood is on the ground. So I really don't see the point in not making it available in the USA on the open market. I'm sure it will find its way here in due time.

I'm telling you guys, you have a problem with US and Canada not having VBS1 distributed/sold to the public, write Coalescent, not here. biggrin_o.gif