Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Are we intel owners forced to buy new motherboard

I read that soon Intel will change to the 64bit processors as well. And not only the expensive Pentium 4 EE will run with 64bit but also the ordinary Pentium chips to come (3,2, 3,4 and 3,6 GHz CPUs ). But if I read correctly then this means we will need Mobos: i925X- i925XE or with socket LGA 775

What was the last Pentium 4 again without 64Bit. Was it 3.55?  Does that now mean that all of us would have to buy a whole new Motherboard to upgrade our computers? What about my i875p? Is that gonna be rubbish in 12 months time?

mad_o.gif

It is so anoying that everytine we need to buy not only the new processor but also tons of other expensive parts. I dont even want to think about the new RAMs that might be required!

The entire PC architecure will be getting an overhaul soon. New standards for hardware, and case layout means that lots of new kit might be required.

New MB's for new CPU's sadly (But I tend to do that anyway), but the RAM should be staying to the SD DDR format. (Just clocked higher and higher! )

bleh im usually about a year or 2 behind top end processors so it aint gonna hit me too hard, plus i stick with AMD atm.

From what I read intel is still aiming the 64bitness only to workstation and server use, not to desktop processors (Which is smart since there really is very little to none need for 64bit addressing on the desktop right now). The new socket T thing is coming though, which will mean that you will need to buy a new motherboard for the new processors coming sometime in the future... Though most motherboards are so cheap today that it isn't that much of a loss as what it used to be.

There was a time when we could simply replace the processor. the last motherboard jump only went from 2.55 to 3.55 (??) or was it even less? Much less?

With motherboard-jump I mean the possibility to change processor without having to buy a new motherboard too.

motherboard jumps have always been nesscary, i had to get one to go from a duron 850 to a althon 2400xp and it was even the same socket, with the p4 i think there is about 3 socket versions for the p4 range. Plus if you have a 64bit cpu that was made to work with old motherboards for some odd reason you arnt going to get much outa it are ya. There was never a time where you could just simply replace processor, you can today only with small jumps thats the way its always been.

I'm waiting to get a new system until next year, when the new technologies are established in the market. There's always some changes that may require you to get a new motherboard, but this time it's a general overhaul: with pci express, ddr2, 64bit cpus and a new form factor for motherboards (better airflow = less cooling issues).

The new socket for the Intel cpu is just one thing that changes. The Athlon64 is getting a new socket soon, too - while the AthlonXP is going to be discontinued after some time.

I can't honestly see why anyone would have to upgrade their home PC or even most office PC's to 64bit at the moment. Servers and heavy duty applications (Rendering for example) I can see the benefit, but for most people the $$$ vs gain makes it a waste.

I can't honestly see why anyone would have to upgrade their home PC or even most office PC's to 64bit at the moment. Servers and heavy duty applications (Rendering for example) I can see the benefit, but for most people the $$$ vs gain makes it a waste.

No, Leone, you get me wrong. I want to think long term. Wouldnt it be great if I could upgrade in a year and simply would have to replace the processor. But I guess it implies new motherboard and new RAM as well and then...well I could also buy a whole new system no? What is the advantage to a notebook computer then?

You might be astonished, but there's enough applications where the 4GB limit of 32bit applications and processors IS already a big problem - just think of the memory map problems OFP shows with too many addons, not to speak of serious applications.

How much I'd give for a 64-bit workstation at work, but unfortunately we have to use standard pc hardware and Windows. At least with 64bit Windows and hardware I will be able to work on my data without cutting them in chunks that a 32bit machine can chew and without all the problems that this brings with it..

Things haven't been going Intel's way lately. Tejas was cancelled, Prescott's flopped, and BTX isn't going along too well with mobo manufacturers. With all the wacky corporate flip-flopping going on, I'd just wait until you need a new system to worry about all this stuff.

You might be astonished, but there's enough applications where the 4GB limit of 32bit applications and processors IS already a big problem - just think of the memory map problems OFP shows with too many addons, not to speak of serious applications.

I did qualify my statement......"most office PC's". Not all of them smile_o.gif And wasn't OFP Memory Mapping error solved through software, not hardware? wink_o.gif

But yes, point taken.

I feel your pain. In fact I probably feel it more.

Try being an Intel 850 motherboard owner. tounge_o.gifsad_o.gif

Gauranteed that will just fuck the regular ofp users right over when it comes to ofp addons.

I mean it's a given that some guy out there will get the ball rolling making addons that have fifty unkajillion polys and 50,000x50,000 textures to accompany this new shift in technology.

Instead of you know...  do something that's actually cool, like playing ofp a step closer to the drawdistance/entity limit for the game and running it smoothly.

"OMG man this r0x, This gun has a 300 poly safety switch and 3d rendered dents and scratches. I can use it with a squad of 12 guys and it barely runs. R0xxor!"

Well I -was- considering upgrading my pc some.

New power supply for my case. New ram. New motherboard,  new cpu, new graphics card. I could get the graphics card... a decent one fairly cheap...

Forget that noise.

I'll save my pennies and wait until a little after OFP 2 comes out and buy a nice box for which to enjoy the game on. Or when the new standards have been fairly well established. Assuming that comes apres-OFP2.

This however doesn't help my situation with the current crop of OFP addons much.  sad_o.gif

Well I have to say that I've gone for 64 bit cpu, I've just bought a FX-53 together with a Asus SK8V Motherboard, I'm getting entirely new system, and from my perspective Intel is just to slow, the P4EE is even having trouble keeping up now and Presscot is a huge failure it shows potentiel but so far it's just not fast enough. I think that if Intel isn't going to do some big soon AMD is going to dominate the market from low to high-end. And AMD has said that they are turning their focus back to the low-end market, and with the FX-55 and 939 socket, Intel is in trouble.

AMD all the way   biggrin_o.gif