Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Us army adopts .50 cal replacement

Possibly the biggest advantage of the XM8 will not be the changes in the gas system or ergonomics, but in the ammunition. There is a big push for a change to 6.8mm ammunition -- the final chambering has not been determined yet.

It is interesting to note that it was the US that originally pushed NATO to adopt the 5.56mm cartridge when everyone else was using the venerable 7.62mm. Now that the rest of NATO is using this cartridge for their infantry rifles, the US may well adopt something different with little or no input from its allies.

While I haven't had the pleasure of shooting the G36 and therefore don't know if there is a similar trick for it, I've been taught not to even fumble for the bolt release on the M16 after a reload.

All it really needs is a good slap anywhere on the left side of the receiver...

I don't think so on most H&K systems you have to pull or press the bolt back first and let it slide forward.

I thort it was Colt who improved the M16 up to M16A4, H&K just reasontly made a system so the M16 don't need the gas piston to shot propellant gas over the reciver but now they and Bushmaster get a law suit from Colt for making M4's.

STGN

The US forces in contrast generally take aimed shots except when using suppressive fire with the SAW or M240 MG.

Many soldiers have likened combat in Iraq to a shooting gallery.

I can imagine, I've heard it described as training (Americans) vs emotion (Iraqis).

While I haven't had the pleasure of shooting the G36 and therefore don't know if there is a similar trick for it, I've been taught not to even fumble for the bolt release on the M16 after a reload.

I don't think so on most H&K systems you have to pull or press the bolt back first and let it slide forward.

I thort it was Colt who improved the M16 up to M16A4, H&K just reasontly made a system so the M16 don't need the gas piston to shot propellant gas over the reciver but now they and Bushmaster get a law suit from Colt for making M4's.

STGN

I am familiar with the H&K subguns, but I haven't used the G36. My understanding is that the charging handle can be twisted to accomodate left or right-handed shooters. Is there another way to release the bolt, even if it isn't a sanctioned way?

Yes and so what and you are not right about every thing:

01. Yes but whit H&K's improvement the M16 is very reliable.

02. Based on what.

03. Sure the M16 is easy to clean.

04. Yes the M16 is slightly heavyer than a G36 but it is also longer.

05. No the M16 has a longer barrel than the G36.

06. The M16 is not equiped whit an optic from start but the flattop easily adopts a wide range of scopes.

07. As 02. based on what the M16 isent known to fall apart.

08. The M16 has a wider range of mags avalible to it than the G36.

09. The M16 is the most modular rifle in the world today I don't think its is posible to make a rifle where you can change more things than on the M16

10. Yes but that is only a problem if you don't clean the rifle or use a badly burning powder. This is done to stable the barrel, how does G36 do that? I just want to know(meant in an positive not negative way)

M16 has:

[*] Faster reload you just put in the mag and press the bolt lock, you dont have to fold out the cooking handle and press it back first to load the round.

[*] None extrenaly moving parts like the G36's cooking handle.

[*] A Muzzel that directs the muzzel flash upwards which helps to prevent muzzel climb and dust in front of the shooter to get blown up.

[*] A slimmer body.

[*] A much longer service life where data about the rifle has been recorded.

[*] Much more beuteful design wink_o.gif

STGN

02; Aks G36 users; They never saw a properly used G36 jam. To get a g36 to jam you really need to trow you rifle on the rocks a few times and trow in a mudpool and than it most likely still won't jam.

03; The g36 and M8 are moade of fewer parts. This means less parts to clean and thus easier to clean. Alse due to the gassystem on the g36/m8 you don't have to worry about carbon.

06; the optic on the g36 is build into the rifle and is not so easily damamged as an optic on the M16 flattop (M16A3/A4)

07; actually is does smile_o.gif

08; G36 is capable of taking any mag that fits the AR series (there goes you point biggrin_o.gif )

10; technical question. Look on the g36 fansites. Plenty of information on the g36 gassystem.

On the "m16 has section"

* All HK rifles for US use come with an open bolt disign, which means the bolt locks in the open position after the last round has fired.

* I don't know about the moving cocking handle. I find it VERY hard to believe the g36 cocking handle moves when firing. AFAIK this is not the case.

*The foursprong flash-hider of the g36 is among the most effective on the world. I rather have a very small flash, than a large one that's helping me handle the recoil.

*The g36 looks better I think. But I must admit it's lager.

* true, but the g36 was good when the first one was first used in the field, while the M16 needed a LOT of modifications to become a the rifle it is now.

I love the G36. I will love the M8. It's better in all ways and the new caliber (6.8) has much more punch on longer ranges. (With the 5.56 you need a few hits to actually kill someone on range)

STGN

I am familiar with the H&K subguns, but I haven't used the G36. My understanding is that the charging handle can be twisted to accomodate left or right-handed shooters. Is there another way to release the bolt, even if it isn't a sanctioned way?

AFAIK most HK rifles have the "mp5 slap system" where you simply slap the bolt after you loaded a new mag (US mp5's with the open-boltlock system when the last round is fired)

Yes and so what and you are not right about every thing:

01. Yes but whit H&K's improvement the M16 is very reliable.

02. Based on what.

03. Sure the M16 is easy to clean.

04. Yes the M16 is slightly heavyer than a G36 but it is also longer.

05. No the M16 has a longer barrel than the G36.

06. The M16 is not equiped whit an optic from start but the flattop easily adopts a wide range of scopes.

07. As 02. based on what the M16 isent known to fall apart.

08. The M16 has a wider range of mags avalible to it than the G36.

09. The M16 is the most modular rifle in the world today I don't think its is posible to make a rifle where you can change more things than on the M16

10. Yes but that is only a problem if you don't clean the rifle or use a badly burning powder. This is done to stable the barrel, how does G36 do that? I just want to know(meant in an positive not negative way)

M16 has:

[*] Faster reload you just put in the mag and press the bolt lock, you dont have to fold out the cooking handle and press it back first to load the round.

[*] None extrenaly moving parts like the G36's cooking handle.

[*] A Muzzel that directs the muzzel flash upwards which helps to prevent muzzel climb and dust in front of the shooter to get blown up.

[*] A slimmer body.

[*] A much longer service life where data about the rifle has been recorded.

[*] Much more beuteful design wink_o.gif

STGN

02; Aks G36 users; They never saw a properly used G36 jam. To get a g36 to jam you really need to trow you rifle on the rocks a few times and trow in a mudpool and than it most likely still won't jam.

03; The g36 and M8 are moade of fewer parts. This means less parts to clean and thus easier to clean. Alse due to the gassystem on the g36/m8 you don't have to worry about carbon.

06; the optic on the g36 is build into the rifle and is not so easily damamged as an optic on the M16 flattop (M16A3/A4)

07; actually is does  smile_o.gif

08; G36 is capable of taking any mag that fits the AR series (there goes you point  biggrin_o.gif )

10; technical question. Look on the g36 fansites. Plenty of information on the g36 gassystem.

On the "m16 has section"

* All HK rifles for US use come with an open bolt disign, which means the bolt locks in the open position after the last round has fired.

* I don't know about the moving cocking handle. I find it VERY hard to believe the g36 cocking handle moves when firing. AFAIK this is not the case.

*The foursprong flash-hider of the g36 is among the most effective on the world. I rather have a very small flash, than a large one that's helping me handle the recoil.

*The g36 looks better I think. But I must admit it's lager.

* true, but the g36 was good when the first one was first used in the field, while the M16 needed a LOT of modifications to become a the rifle it is now.

I love the G36. I will love the M8. It's better in all ways and the new caliber (6.8) has much more punch on longer ranges. (With the 5.56 you need a few hits to actually kill someone on range)

Well I must edmit I don't know all that much about the G36 but the Bolt and cooking handle does move when you shoot just look at HK own movie on HKUSA(I don't know if they have changed it but if you se the movie it does move and i don't think they have, cause then how would it lock whit an open bolt when you don't have a bolt lock?) where you will also see that the G36 does not have a bolt lock like the M16 and if not much you have too push the bolt back first too release it. Also explain mow a fixed scoped vs a mounted one is less easily damaged. What makes the M16 fall apart?

Also if I remember correct the M16 was the first in its class and the G36 is relativly new so it would have been rediculas if HK had not looked at the Assult rifels befor it and seen how they could make one that did not suffer from other rifles childs deceases then it would not have been H&K.

Too crtitic the M16 it is a mass produced weapon and I think if you took H&K percission(like HKM4) you would get a better wepon cause on the C7's I tryed every part could be put in different guns and it would still work I don't know about G36 but i remember the G3 where you could not take parts from one gun and put it in to another which means that you get a gun where there is a lower reliability. Nevertheless the M16 family especialy the canadian part is still a very good rifle that has som qualities and options the G36 don't.

And no the G36 is not a beuteful rifle rater boring too look at realy no life about it.

STGN

STGN

AFAIK most HK rifles have the "mp5 slap system" where you simply slap the bolt after you loaded a new mag (US mp5's with the open-boltlock system when the last round is fired)

Does the cooking handle realy moves back and up when the mag is emtyed? diddent know that.

STGN

I fell so ashamed to participate in this forum and never had the chance to fire a real automatic rifle. If I said otherwise I must have been drunk and lying! sad_o.giftounge_o.gif

both XM8 and G36's bolt DID moves back and forth when firing but i dont think that really bug anyone up, as u wont place your head or hands that close to the bolt when firing anyway(miss firing is another thing though)

For some odd reason I have a big feeling that the majority of the people have never shot the guns they are talking about.

...maybe I'm wrong

...maybe I'm not

It's just that in a lot of gaming forums people seem to know a lot about guns, and can play it off like they own one or have owned one. It just kinda seems like people wanna back up their love for a game with the thought that they can and have done it in real life.

Yeah, we do have alot of former and active military members.

My firearms experience comes from hunting with various caliber weapons.

Of course the bolt has to move. The question is does the charging handle move? On the M16/AR15 it doesn't, on the MP5 family it doesn't, and I doubt that it does on the G36.

Yes the charging handle on the G36 does indeed move but that's because it has quite a different design. It's located above the reciever in a rail. It's attached to the bolt carrier. You use it by pulling it sideways and it springs back into position so that it's aligned with the reciever.

Bleh, it's difficult to explain in English. Anyhow, it does move and its design and position makes it a good solution and there is no risk of anything getting in the way.

there is many clip showing that the charging handle on the G36 and XM8 did move when firing

P.S.the design of the charging handle is first find on HK36(not G36, offically G36 was numbered as HK50 in H&K)

Don't they still make M2's? Oh and I don't believe they will replace it at all. If it does, it will take a long, long, long time.

Yes the charging handle on the G36 does indeed move but that's because it has quite a different design. It's located above the reciever in a rail. It's attached to the bolt carrier. You use it by pulling it sideways and it springs back into position so that it's aligned with the reciever.

Thank you -- I knew that the charging handle is ambidextrous (I mentioned that earlier on page 6), but I wasn't sure if the handle reciprocates with the bolt. It would seem to me that you would want to keep the moving mass to a minimum, but H&K engineers are clever, so I'm sure they know what they are doing...

Now, what about releasing the bolt after a reload? Is there a way other than to pull the charging handle back?

Now, what about releasing the bolt after a reload? Is there a way other than to pull the charging handle back?

Not that I know of. When you empty a mag, it automatically locks the bolt in a rear position. IIRC you pull the charging handle back to release it. I'm however really no authority on the subject as I've only fired a g36 twice and that was several years ago.

Perhaps some of the resident Bundeswehr people can answer that?

Now ask me anything about the Ak-5 (FNC) and I'll be in a much better position to give you a good answer.  wink_o.gif