Sign in to follow this  
purple-pach

No jump

SOme other people have mentioned that jumping can be implimented without causing the bunny hopping scenario and I'd like to say I agree.

Hidden and Dangeous 2 has one of the best implimentation of jumping of any game I've seen. In H&D2, you have an 'endurance' meter that is quickly drained if you sprint for more than a few seconds, crawl at a high speed for a few seconds, or jump. Jumping just once in hidden and dangerous reduced your endurance bar greatly, making it virtually impossible to jump again wihout stopping, or slowing down to a walk for a few seconds first. Also even if your endurance bar is at it's highest, you really can't jump very high - just enough to clear basic obtacles, or jump across short gaps.

In H&D2 multiplayer, jumping is NOT an issue. smile_o.gif

I wouldn't mind this kind of implimetation at all. Jumping up onto short walls is something every virtual soldier SHOULD be able to do.

yeah i agree with toadlife. that is if jumping should be included.

if it shouldnt, how aboot makin a new action in the action menu, that says? jump trench?

SOme other people have mentioned that jumping can be implimented without causing the bunny hopping scenario and I'd like to say I agree.

Hidden and Dangeous 2 has one of the best implimentation of jumping of any game I've seen. In H&D2, you have an 'endurance' meter that is quickly drained if you sprint for more than a few seconds, crawl at a high speed for a few seconds, or jump. Jumping just once in hidden and dangerous reduced your endurance bar greatly, making it virtually impossible to jump again wihout stopping, or slowing down to a walk for a few seconds first. Also even if your endurance bar is at it's highest, you really can't jump very high - just enough to clear basic obtacles, or jump across short gaps.

In H&D2 multiplayer, jumping is NOT an issue. smile_o.gif

I wouldn't mind this kind of implimetation at all. Jumping up onto short walls is something every virtual soldier SHOULD be able to do.

Well said, jumping is implemented very nicely in H&D2. Ofp2 should "borrow" many ideas from hd, the inventory system and weight based movement speed in it is also awesome.

H&D2 are a good example to use jump. When I jump playing Soldner demo I see my hands holding my legs. I can´t fire while jumping. Lag before jumpp, became tired, slow down after jump will solve some problems.

I wanna jump.

G-LOC

I wouldn't mind diving into cover, press z when sprinting and you dive down. Also a roll would be nice.

Maybe be able to trip up on things. I don't know about jumping though. Seems a bit superflous as in a firefight I doubt you want to be jumping up into the streams of suppresive MG fire, quite the opposite.

how about when your character runs into the wall at a slow speed and you keep holding it down your character automatically puts gun on back and holds onto the top of the wall with both hands and does a kind of pull up. But lets say there is a trench, your character will need a jump button to not get stabbed by the pokies down there.

i want jump... :|

if i want skip an ostacle, i need jump.

Hi,

I won't argue about the MP problem, you'll see that realism would make it the most useless stuff:

To make jumping realistic, just consider the lightest equipment (let's say, a scout gear, light SD-rifle, gun, goggles and a few clothes). The guy uses to jump on (not over) 80cm (~2.1ft) obstacles in normal conditions (more would make him noisy thus detected anyway).

The same obstacle for a fully loaded radio operator or LAW unit will require him to stop and make real efforts to lift the whole gear. Just consider a 50cm (~1.6ft) obstacle will be enough of an exercice.

In both case, jumping down the obstacle will require 3 to 5 steps before being able to jump again (and keep fatigue factor in mind) in the best case.

Another point, it's practically impossible to aim while doing this (usually, the weapon is used to balance the body in the movement and moves a lot while the impulsion). No Matrix gymnastic allowed!!!

And last but no least... during jump, no control of character, no rotation, no speed or direction change possible. If the player was turning while jumping, the angular speed should be kept and end in a very artistic fumble on reception, just try in the street (protections advised)!!!

Out of all this: realistic jumping is a real dynamic mess to implement in a game... and it's only useful in very VERY specific cases (jumping on a truck loading plateform instead of taking the five steps for example).

As a realism fanatic, I would say that it would be real cool, but I really don't care if OFP remains without it.

Swimming would be more useful in such a game.

The ability to climb objects MUST be implemented. I mean, there's nothing more ridiculous than being a spec op guy in OFP and have to waste satchel charges on low fences just to get over them. Also small houses should be accessible so that spec ops could camp on rooftops etc.

As for jumping, besides trenches and other combat specific situations, maybe a larger running stride should be implemented.

Although I wouldn't mind also there to be object-specific jumping animations, like jumping on a chair/table/whatnot, or my favourites, jumping out of a window and off a balcony! tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

'CAMPING' CANNOT HAPPEN IN A GAME LIKE OFP.

Re-read the above sentence until it sinks in.

How do you distinguish the physical action of getting ready for an ambush and camping??? rock.gif

Right - there's no way to distinguish the two.

And setting up an ambush is a military tactic through and through, more than proven. mad_o.gif

Nobody used this term, first...

next, if you played an MP mission (no DM or CTF), you'll notice that camping DOES HAPPEN, it's part of the game, just like it's part of real military tactics. That's what scouts and snipers do to survive. rock.gif

This hate for camping just fits to Quake-like players... otherwise, why propose sniper units? wink_o.gif

Wasn't it about jumping here?

As long as the jump ability takes into account the fatigue and equipment the character has then why not. If there is the ability to dump your back pack to speed yourself up a bit if you are needing to retreat quickly or manouvre then the game should let you for realism's sake.

Enough reasons to have an ability to jump and/or negotiate obstacles has been stated here for it to be justified in a realisitic game. In CQB you are bound to have obstructions you cannot circumnavigate.

BUZZARD @ June 15 2004,04:57)]

Re-read the above sentence until it sinks in.

How do you distinguish the physical action of getting ready for an ambush and camping??? rock.gif

Right - there's no way to distinguish the two.

And setting up an ambush is a military tactic through and through, more than proven. mad_o.gif

Getting ready for an ambush = getting ready for an ambush.

Camping = waiting around the area that an uber item (eg quad damage) spawns in in a arcadey game like quake.

That's how you distinguish them.

'Camping' is a DEATHMATCH term and DOES NOT APPLY to team based games or games with so many (unlimited) avenues of approach.

Drakhen:

yes they did; re-read buzzards reply.

'Camping' is a kiddies word that does not apply to OFP. Stop using it. It's a derogatory word that people who want to rambo about use to complain about getting beaten by someone in a better situation than them - ie ambushed. If you want to complain about 'camping,' go do it in CS or quake.

if jump would be implemented it would be cool to have random occasions when character falls and rocks and drops all it's equipment tounge_o.gif

if jump would be implemented it would be cool to have random occasions when character falls and rocks and drops all it's equipment  tounge_o.gif

I was thinking something similar to stop continual running, when you're gasping for breath if you keep running you risk tripping over and injuring yourself.

You mean like the Rangers in Black Hawk Down, when they arrive completely exhausted to the stadium?

Injuring is not really "game-play" (OFP remains a game, I guess) but have longer and deeper force consuption effects can be interesting (that's already something great in the current game-play).

Jumping is a real forces leech and overstresses the body in combat situation. Interesting game-play... since we keep far from Quake-kangaroos. wink_o.gif

How can you jump over bullets? that doesn't make sense...i've seen people bunny hoping around but I just move with the target and kill em....they are annoying but easy to kill those moter fuckers...

I'll vote for a 'climb' button.  If there is a jump key, it must be reasonable, maybe even optionally selected per server.  If BIS gets into the realism of the engine a bit, the load a player is carring will stop noobs (I know a well placed shot does!), yet allow for getting over/onto objects.  Maybe call it the 'Clamber' button, half jump, half climb.  rock.gif

Scrub

I'm in favor of being able to hurdle over low fences and stuff, as long as when you're jumping, you've got your weapon close to your chest and you need to get a running start.

If you needed to be moving forward already to jump, and if you had to take a few steps after to recover, that would eliminate a hopping problem. In other words jumping in place should be totally impossible.

Though if we're going to add more gear and rucksacks to OFP2, it should definitely depend on weight, too. A guy lugging an M60 and a rucksack is going to be sucking wind a lot faster than a guy with just his M16 and webbing. So maybe the guys carrying more weight have less of a chance to actually clear obstacles...

*tries to jump fence and trips... rest of squad has to go haul him to his feet*

tounge_o.gif

jumping/climbing over low walls and branches doesn't need to require a seperate action, it should be integrated with the W key.

If you walk over a small branch the game automatically steps over it. If you want to get over a wall hit shift and W and you'll climb over it.

Less buttons! crazy_o.gif

how about a delay after the jump.1 jump/3 seconds.

and not possible to fire while jumping.

i like the idea of having to be either walking or running to jump, otherwise, whats the point of jumping straight into the air? Anyways, i think its a absolutly neccessary to have the jumping ability, well, i think its neccessary for the soldiers in OFP2 to do anything real soldiers can do.