Sign in to follow this  
Rudedog

Combat! bradley pack 1.0 released

yeh the option to lower the intensity would be appreciated, we were playing the DesertAmbush map in MP this evening with the 3 Bradleys burning close together and caused some frame loss, look pretty damn impressive though biggrin_o.gif

I've got a mission featuring the Brad, Sig's American tanks and the CSLA mod. Anyone wanna beta test it?

Has anyone tested my mission (In the User Missions thread)? It lacks cutscenes, but it has plenty of destruction biggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]I've got a mission featuring the Brad, Sig's American tanks and the CSLA mod. Anyone wanna beta test it?

Sure.

OK, I just uploaded v1.1 of my mission smile_o.gif .

I would like to start with saying that this addon is top notch, 10/10. For those of us prior-service soldiers, seeing realistic and modern combat vehicles, weapons, and units is a real treat and makes OFP that much more fun.

One thing I am curious about though. In a possible future update of this pack, is it possible to add scripting for the ODS variants to include a version of the Missile Countermeasure System? This is a device that was included on the ODS variants that when the turret is pointed at the threat, it is able to scramble the laser used to guide the ATGM towards the Bradley. It is then able to direct the enemy ATGM into the ground, preventing a hit with high probability.

I myself am not a scripter or addon maker, but I have seen other addons with an option similar to this. For example, several aircraft feature an AA Countermeasure that defeats those missiles, but in doing so they use some type of radar jammer, that creates multiple radar images to confuse the operator. But an example of the BAS helos, even when a human player fires an AA at them, the helo drops countermeasures and the missile often misses. It's not 100% effective, but it does help. Maybe a similar type of system can be used with the Bradley ODS variants in the future.

The one thing is though that the ODS can only do this when facing the threat, and I do have complete documentation with diagrams showing how it works. If someone is interested, let me know.

Well could easilly import the arena scripts from the russain units to make the ODS system. Just most of the OFP used ATGMs are wire guided or by LOS. Not laser Russain combat vehicles do use laser range finders slaved to the balistic compter on the main guns of most armor. some APCs but its still tracked by gunners site on a wire fed input device.

Yes, that is one thing I was also curious about. Since many of the ATGM's used in the game are wire- or optical-guided, maybe there can be an action placed to allow the smoke launchers to pop, obscuring the Bradley and also causing the lock to be lost by the firing unit, but ONLY is the smoke is actually between LOS.

I think someone else had asked about the Bradley popping smoke, so I didn't want to repeat the suggestion. But after thinking about the MCS, maybe it's another reason to bring this up. I have heard (although not tested) that the smoke grenades used with the BAS units actually block the AI's vision now, by some how placing an invisible object in the way where the smoke is generated. Maybe this is a possible way to use the system? Of course, you would want to limit the amount of smokes available. And again, it would only block the target if the smoke was popped in LOS.

The main reason for suggesting this is to increase survivability. The Bradley doesn't have nearly the armor of an MBT, and therefore a single ATGM strike can take one out, which the help of some kind of countermeasure might increase gameplay a bit. It's not required, as this addon is already sweet, but it would be like adding the "Cherry on top" so to speak.

Well Rudedog kinda has a huge line of other addons to make so best to let the M2s lie for a bit. thats kinda a bit on the advance side. he Fx on them now are kinda labor intensive on low end machines but its on the list of things to add, just the AI are kinda too dumb to operate smoke. Usually pop it if you know your gonna get skullf***ked by something big like a tank, or you have been hit and masking your exscape to get out of the area if your able. Sure don't wanna pop smoke with friendly dismounts in the open because the smoke grenades are white phosfors.

Yes, this is definitely a suggestion to be considered at a later time. It would be nice to see in a future update, but it's not a critical update. I feel that seeing other interesting addons is a bigger priority over enhancing current ones too much, and this is an enhancement suggestion, that like you said, is more advanced.

But if it is ever considered, I'm sure they will think of all the points required with it. They have done a lot of research so far, and I know that any upgrade of this kind would be nothing different. Popping smoke should be very limited, such as only a couple shots and each "reload" taking much time to finish. And when it is popped, the smoke coverage area should be realistic, and like Bobcatt mentioned, should do damage to troops in the same way that fire effects do if a soldier is too close. It would be fun to have, and more realistic, but I can do without it.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to future addons as well.

Anyone having problems with the KFOR, IFOR, etc? it says that the .paa file is not found when I try to use them.

Also can anyone explain the cargo script?

One more thing, what is ODS?

Anyway these bradlys are great! I love them!

@FHP_Intercepter:

Regarding the cargo script, you can find full information on it in the 1.0 readme file titled "CBT Bradley Pack readme" under the section "Cargo script notes". Pretty much, the script will cause the soldiers in cargo (not crew) to disembark the vehicle in a combat situation. This is when ever the vehicle fires, or the crew buttons up. But since the troops can't be in as cargo while crew is buttoned, I highly dislike the use of this script myself, and don't use it. Check the readme for more detailed information and how to use it.

As for what is ODS? That's pretty easy to explain. Below is a snippet from Bradley Info, one of many websites detailing this:

"After Operation Desert Storm, the M2A2 was upgraded again with the addition of an eye-safe carbon dioxide laser rangefinder, global positioning system and compass, missile countermeasure device, combat identification system, and thermal viewer for the driver. The 1423 -A2 Bradleys brought up to this standard were referred to as -A2ODS"

So due to feedback from soldiers during Operation Desert Storm (ODS), several new upgrades were made to the Bradley M2 and M3 series. While most of the features have no use in OFP, some such as altered ammo loadouts, seating, etc. have been implemented in this addon.

As for using the KFOR and IFOR markings, I haven't tested these myself yet. Sorry. But I hope the other comments help you out a bit.

I've got a mission featuring the Brad, Sig's American tanks and the CSLA mod. Anyone wanna beta test it?

I do!

Ok, my mission is uploaded. Call it version 0.95.

To do before finalization:

1. Currently, the mission requires you to kill all CSLA forces. This can get a bit tedious when you have to track down one remaining rifleman in the woods... Anybody got a solution for that? I'd like to ensure almost total destruction, but without the need to hunt down all the dismounts/survivors. So basically, I'm looking for a good command to ensure that all vehicles are dead.

To do if I feel like being productive:

1. Add voice comms. I've got a mic with this new computer, so I can theoretically make voice comms, even if I hate the sound of my voice when recorded.  crazy_o.gif

2. Cutscenes. I generally despise them, but I might throw at least an outro one in. The mission ends kind of abruptly.

Future missions:

I'd like to make more missions based on this one. Namely, a defend-in-zone, a recon mission, a security mission and, maybe, a screening mission with like schemes.

Required Addons:

CSLA 2.02

Sigma's US Tanks

JAM

and, of course, Rudedog's outstanding Bradleys.

The FRAGO

Quote[/b] ]SITUATION

3 April 1989: Bavaria, Germany

Since the war began three days ago, the 1st Infantry Division has taken heavy losses, and as the 1-4th Cavalry is the tip of the spear, we have been hit especially hard. Today will be no different.

Though the division has wrecked two Czechoslovakian motor rifle divisions, effectively taking them out of the war for another week, a third is bearing down on us. Already we've had contact with their divisional and regimental reconnaisance assets and we expect an attack from a Czechoslovakian tank battalion within the hour. You can expect them to lead the way according to standard Pact doctrine - scout platoon in advance to locate our forces, a tank platoon to tie down our forces and then a company-sized element to destroy our forces.

We must stop the Czechoslovakian forces from breaking through our lines to relieve the Soviet and Czech paratroopers behind our lines. If they link up, the whole of Bavaria and the entire VII Corps is doomed.

MISSION

3rd Platoon, Bravo Troop 1-4th Cav will defend Axis of Advance Lucy from Battle Position Dagwood. Prevent the enemy forces from occupying Objective Opus, where the squadron aid station is attempting to evacuate German civillians.

EXECUTION

BP Dagwood offers an excellent rear-slope defensive position with medium-range flaking shots to targets along AA Lucy. You may elect to remain at Dagwood, or patrol along AA Lucy.

Two survivors from Sergeant Hamill's CFV (which was destroyed yesterday, leaving your senior section leader in a German hospital with no legs) have established Observation Post Garfield. They will provide advance warning of any enemy forces crossing Phase Line Archie.

If the enemy crosses Phase Line Charlie Brown, your mission will be considered a failure and local reserves will be forced to attempt to stop the enemy.

Your forces are composed of three functional M-3A1 Cavalry Fighting Vehicles with 66-75% of their basic ammunition load remaining. Fuel tanks were topped off an hour ago. You have four dismounts, two of whom are located at OP Garfield and two are located with the platoon. There is also a medic located with the platoon at BP Dagwood.

Reserve forces are provided by the Troop Headquarters section, with Captain Simpson's M-1, the First Sergeant's M-113 and an infantry squad made up of cooks and clerks located at the aid station. Additionally, there is a section of OH-58s in the area from Charlie Troop on call. See section 5 (Command and Signals) for the appropriate SOI callsigns.

SERVICE SUPPORT

No resupply expected due to enemy forces in the divisional rear areas.

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

SOI: In effect until 0000hrs tonight.

Freq 88.75 C Troop 1-4th Cav (Air)(0-0-1)

Freq 76.25 HQ Section, B Troop 1-4th Cav (0-0-2)

Freq 57.10 Squadron HQ (Save Game) (0-0-9)

Whiskey Seven: Your callsign

Bravo Nine: OP Garfield

Delta Five Five: C Troop Air Coordinator

Charlie Six: HQ Section

Quarterhorse Six: Squadron HQ

DOWNLOAD HERE - PM ME WITH COMMENTS

Hi,

I just used the Bradleys in a Coop-Mission and deactivated (tried to deactivate) the Scripts with this command:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CBT_NoScripts = true

Wrote it in the init.sqs (tried it in the init-line of the Bradleys, too).

If i now start the mission on a dedicated server, i get this error-message as a "hint":

Quote[/b] ]CBT Bradley Pack MP Error
Any idea why i get it? What did i mess up?

Thx in advance,

MEDICUS

I have read this entire forum from start to finish, but have only been keeping up with the last two pages for the last few days. I wanted to make a suggestion, so if this WAS posted previously, then excuse the repeat.

Also, the suggestion is not a critical one, just something that might be considered at a later update.

Pretty much what I was curious about, what is the possible future in redoing some of the interiors of the ODS variants to make them match the actual ODS changes? Such as bench seats instead of old style seats?

And something I'm also curious about...is there a way to add weapons and ammo onto the inboard racks? Such as show the AT weapons and spare TOW's/ammo boxes when full loadout, but as items are used up or removed, they are no longer visible? Sort of the same way weapons no longer show on aircraft after being fired. I know these require extra modelling and scripting, that's why I ask about a future update, and is not critical.

So nobody tried my mission? sad_o.gif

Here's a CSLA-free version:

Here

It's not tested, but AFAIK it doesn't require CSLA. I replaced the CSLA vehicles and soldiers with BIS T-55s and BMPs.

I've got two more in the works right now - one is an armored cav troop attack on a town and another is an cav platoon pursuit and exploitation mission.

Hi everyone,

I just played Hellfish's Bradley mission and I have to say, even it's a short and quick mission, it's one of the best i've seen for a long time. Why? Cause it gives you this "you are really there" feeling. It's not some far away phantasy island with some tanks driving around, no it's southern Germany in the ending 80s and the red steam roller is coming your way!

The FRAGO is an outstanding example how it should be made.

I'm really encouraging Hellfish to make more of these realistic missions. That's OFP the way it's meant to be.

cu

Jens

P.S. If your looking for future beta testing ...

So nobody tried my mission?  sad_o.gif

Here's a CSLA-free version:

Here

It's not tested, but AFAIK it doesn't require CSLA. I replaced the CSLA vehicles and soldiers with BIS T-55s and BMPs.

I've got two more in the works right now - one is an armored cav troop attack on a town and another is an cav platoon pursuit and exploitation mission.

Cool, kinda been busy making addon or updating others over at CBT and RHS and why not gotten around to doing the mission, should be kickass seeing one of the real troops did it. Might not be twinkish enough for normal OFP types and why they won't do it. ;)

I've had a report that there are things wrong with the mission - namely that the overview image doesn't work and that the gap between contacts, while realistic, is too long and people start getting antsy (personally, I use the time to reorganize my defense and possibly move to a new firing position). Anyone else comment? Rudedog, have you tried it? smile_o.gif

Yes, I tried it for about 10 minutes today at work.  wow_o.gif   I'd like to see a coop of this, since that's what Pablo and I primarily play.

I've had a report that there are things wrong with the mission - namely that the overview image doesn't work and that the gap between contacts, while realistic, is too long and people start getting antsy (personally, I use the time to reorganize my defense and possibly move to a new firing position). Anyone else comment? Rudedog, have you tried it? smile_o.gif

Just tried it and liked it. Yes, the overview image has bad dimension(s).

I, too, loved the gap between contacts and use it as a way to reorganise/rearm and whatnot. Let the antsy people look elsewhere to get off their sugar rushes. No need to accomodate for them. Plenty of inane TDM:s and CTF:s out there.

Loved the Dragons I nicked from the Bradleys - especially since AI:s can and will use them to good effect. Saved me twice, he did, my #10 tounge_o.gif

Right...of for a second round... this first round suddenly ended for some odd reason. I guess a straggler passed over PL Charlie Brown and the trigger insta-fails the mission. It could also be the T-55 that was blown to Smithereens close to PL CB flew over the trigger biggrin_o.gif

Ive just played the non-CSLA version of the mission Hellfish, very good though as you said the overview had a problem with the image. One other thing though was after the 2nd wave, i waited for around an hour or so (acc time comes in handy in those situations) but nothing came, went to go see if there was anything there but just not moving and indeed there was, the squad was stood around oblivious to the fact they had missed the attack and were still stood on the western road out of Modrava

Still, nice mission, a welcome change from the average mission smile_o.gif

Weird. crazy_o.gif

Thanks for the bug reports, guys. Version 1.0 should come out soon. smile_o.gif