Sign in to follow this  
ZiRo

Ziro's british trek

Right, i thought someone might find this interesting or useful as some inspiration.

For July 7th 2004 i have organised a little trek for me and some of my mates. We're going to have a game of E&E. We currently have 7 CONFIRMED - 100% participents.

Rutland - Northhamptonshire border.

7km west of Kettering/Corby/Uppingham

Area: 91kmË›

Total Distance: 49.4km

Realistic Estimated Total Distance: 60km

Basic jist:

One team is a Recon team; they have to take recon pictures of targets along a cross country route (which isnt set but the objectives just have a clearly defined order). The second team, the Hunter team, have to track and observe the recon team. All the objectives are optional - but if they aren't completed the teams wont score. Airsoft sidearms will be used - Nothing larger, we don't want to be shot or arrested.

Day 1 has 5 reconnaissance-based objectives for the recon team, covering over 29km.

Day 2 has 2 objectives for recon covering roughly 14km, then an optional 12km stint (which would have to be completed on day 3 if not day 2). In the Evening of Day 2, the Hunter team must proceed to a designated area and set up camp for the night and remain until the assault on Day 3.

Day 3 (after 00:00) see's the Recon team locating and assaulting the Hunter camp. After which the teams will join to have a laugh and talk about their journey. Arrangements will then be made to get home.

Supplies:

We have amazingly been supplied with British 24hr ration packs and some equipment by my local Combined Cadet Force (which i am NOT a member of). This was mainly due to the thoroughness of the planning and promise the activity shows. When i presented my plan and procedures they were impressed and instantly offered me any support i needed in terms of equipment and supplies.

We will be passing many streams and rivers on our route - the use of water purification tablets from the ration packs will give us our water.

Documentation:

One member of each team will keep a diary, kept to a specific standardized layout. Both of which will be compiled into a single book at the end and duplicated - to be kept as a reminder of the outing. Digital cameras will also be used by the teams, to record the activity. These diaries and photos will also be used as proof of objecitive completion.

In total I have estimated our journey to cover over 55km once you factor in terrain, accessability, tactical routes and camp locations.

Equipment:

Most things are peoples own. Burgens, clothing, footwear etc. Some things have/will be supplied, such as mess tins, rations, hexamine cookers, etc. We've adopted a firm notion of "You want it - You haul it" For example, if someone wants to bring a tent they can haul it and they can errect it. This has encouraged most people to be travelling light.

I haven't gone into near as much detail here as i have thought about and put to paper.

Some things that have been considered/sorted/documented that i haven't gone into much detail about are listed here:

-Points System

-Objective Locations and Accessability

-Objective Completion

-Safety Aspects and Equipment

-Rules

-Unexpected/Unlikley occurances

-Energy Intake:Energy Output

-Public Interaction (Trespassing etc)

THIS IS OPEN. If you reckon you'd be REALISTICALLY be able to participate in this drop me an email (see sig) and you will be considered and have a decision within 2 days.

I don't know quite what im expecting to come from this thread. Maybe some opinions/comments.

-ZiRo

Escape & Evasion my dear Avon.

(i played my first ever game of ofp online with you Avon)

[Edit: and on another note - my room now looks like a army surplus store]

Oh and - who says you cant play ofp in real life?

If i wasnt on holiday soaking up the sun....... tounge_o.gif

I could get my passport renewed and try to get there. I'll buy MARPATs and the right gear before though, and I'll get a good sidearm.

ROFL, no, somehow i don't think you will come from out of the country.

but if you did, we'd sure have you spence.

-ZiRo

I can just imagine you lot ruining a nice relaxing weekend for me:

"We have a assistance request for several adult males, they are all puking their guts up from drinking contaminated water and one has snapped his leg in half after landing badly with a heavy burgen. They can't tell us their position and they forgot spare batteries so signalling you is going to be a problem, have fun SAR Six Two."

The joys of walking in the British countryside wink_o.gif

J/K Guys, I'm sure you will have fun and the chances of getting laid with the very many attractive sheep out there is a definite bonus.

smile_o.gif thanks alot.

We've had this in the works a while now, just waiting for the date really. Everyones really looking forward to it (after initial doubts).

-ZiRo

Sounds like it'll be an absolute ball of fun.

One question: How the hell did you get the support from the cadet force. wow_o.gif

I used to be in a cadet flight, and we had a hard time as it was to get ration packs for official 'cadet' activities. You should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Connections - and the RSM is a great guy.

-ZiRo

Nice idea, might try to whip something similar up together with my friends this summer. But with more than just airsoft sidearms  wink_o.gif Would be really cool trekking around in the forests around a lake taking pictures of possible positions for amphibious landings or something like that.

EDIT: Yes, I know amphibious landings in a lake would be pretty pointless, but still you get the picture smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Yeah, well we could have done that if we'd had a smaller, more private area but we're trecking accross like 50km and although there arnt many large areas of populations (exept a couple small/large villages) theres enough to get shot, especially when passing less than 2km to an active military airbase.

-ZiRo

shot? more like bombed, y'know what the RAF are like these days.....

Yer, they'd probably end up bombing the nearby villages anyway.

Yeah, well we could have done that if we'd had a smaller, more private area but we're trecking accross like 50km

Me and my mates had 190 km's + of dense forest and lakes at our disposal including some really nice CQB spots totally undisturbed. Thank god that the iron findings in Bergslagen thinned out, and thank god for the right of common access! biggrin_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Meh, i wish, maybe in scotland or wales or somthing :P not in mainland england.

-ZiRo

Quote[/b] ]shot? more like bombed, y'know what the RAF are like these days.....
Quote[/b] ]Yer, they'd probably end up bombing the nearby villages anyway.

Yeah Yeah Keep it coming...

There's your chances of getting rescued by the nice big yellow helicopters out the window.