Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

Rome: total war / napoleon total war

I want to know more about the MP game...is it like MTW, where one guy hosts and everyone piles in?

Any input in the campaign screen? Major improvments? If so, give us some examples biggrin_o.gif

I am thinking seriously of getting R:TW, it is available in New Zealand now and it seems like it is an extremely well developed game. My dilemma is do I want to get it now but force myself not to overindulge in it, as I have to study for exams in November.

Only years of training in the shaolin temple can give you a strong enough mind for that. I suggest you study first, then buy the game. blues.gif

I am thinking seriously of getting R:TW, it is available in New Zealand now and it seems like it is an extremely well developed game. My dilemma is do I want to get it now but force myself not to overindulge in it, as I have to study for exams in November.

Only years of training in the shaolin temple can give you a strong enough mind for that. I suggest you study first, then buy the game. blues.gif

I might have to take that advice, the exams might only be secondary school ones, but they do impact my future. R: TW might be good, but I severely doubt it's going to open many career opportunities for me. It is due to the proximity of my exams that I am none to pleased that there is a possibility of Half Life 2 coming out soon as that is another immersive game that I am looking forward to.

Ive managed to wipe out the Gauls and the Carthegenians,(the later with the help of the Scipii family).

Im am so impressed by this game, i mean the castle sieges are amazing, cavalry charges now look incredibly violent and to top it off the campaign is really immersive, the diplomats give u so much more options now.

The Campaign map at the beggining of the Julii campaign

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/campaignmap.jpg

Romans about to lay some smack down on rebels

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/romansmackdown.jpg

Carthegenians bursting through the gate

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/throughthegate.jpg

Squashing the last bit of resistance in the center of the village

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/battleforthecenter.jpg

Heroic last stand in the center of Londinium

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/laststand.jpg

Timmeh

Dammit! It should arrive tomorrow, if it doesnt i will cry blues.gif

And if it doesnt arrive by friday i will sacrifice the distributers children to the gods of total war crazy_o.gif

Wooo its arrived! The folks at gameplay will be spared tounge_o.gif

Currently installing it, on the 2nd CD now, just passing the wait by posting here wink_o.gif

Will give my 1st impressions when i have some.

Great game, just got it (thank you Gameplay) but I'm experiencing lockups quite often sad_o.gif

One MAJOR complaint. Multiplayer. Its pretty good. When you can get it to work.....it would be fair to say half the people who own this game cant play MP as it crashes to desktop upon trying to connect (something to do with GS servers only supporting 30 people at a time). If that wasnt enough, when you DO play, it has become apparent that the game state is partial to diverging. This used to happen in MTW REPLAYS before they patched it. Now the actual game state is changing...what does it mean? Well all too often you are finding that on one persons machine, they are winning, yet on the other persons machine, an entirely different battle is being played out. This was found out when people rewatched thier replays to find out why the other guy couldnt believe he just lost when on his screen he looked like he was winning, and noticed a totally different battle in which the other guy WAS winning in the replay......well, with MTW, replays didnt matter all that much....but the actual game state? Christ....thats going to take some patching.....

Basically, the game is awesome, GOTY for sure. Single Player is awesome. Graphics are awesome, everything about it is awesome until you come to MP, where it looks as if there has been no testing of its functionality at all! crazy_o.gif

Anyone else getting frequent lockups? It's really quite annoying as I have to reboot my entire system when one occurs sad_o.gif

No lockups on mine, i just get the MP problems....considering MP was what i was looking forward to the most its really disappointing sad_o.gif

I'm going to go grab this title tomorrow after looking at Tim's awesome screenshots biggrin_o.gif.  I'll tell you what I think in a few days smile_o.gif.

EDIT: Woohoo! My 400th post biggrin_o.gif. 2 stars for me biggrin_o.gif!

i havent exeprienced any lock ups yet but  there have been some annoying sound fuckups where it seems to be stuck in a loop, the game runs but the sound is fubar.

But anyway

Here are some more pictures

These Hoplites are going to get smashed by the Gladiators.

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/Crazyhoplite.jpg

Gladiators about to storm the walls.

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/Gladiators.jpg

Fighting for control of the wall.

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/Wallfight.jpg

March of the Principes

http://pnstudios.gotf.net/principes.jpg

biggrin_o.gif

Legionary First Cohorts are awesome. One of mine took an entire gatehouse against a horde of enemies (1 phalanx, 3 militias, 2 archers, 1 light infantry) on both sides and walked away with 27 people alive.

Then my Legionary Cavalry fell apart when we stormed the city.

Can you play with any other faction except the romans?

The battle has definitely improved with the transition to 3d but the game has lost some of its atmosphere from the previous total war. All I get now is repetitive music and stupid unit responces.

Yes you can, after you crush other factions as the Romans. You unlock them. And if you finish the campaign (even without eradicating any other faction) you can play as the other factions.

Got it on friday, and despite some gamebalance issues, historical inaccuracys and technical problems, it's one of those games where you don't notice how fast time is flying when playing.

historical inaccuracys

The worst IMO being that the Egyptians are still an empire crazy_o.gif

Oh, and how in the nine hells do you get a faction to become your protectorate?

I have the Britons down to only their capital city, and still they won't accept the sweetest of deals! I once offered them 10.000 denarii, all the provinces I took from them, a regular tribute of 200 denarii for 10 rounds, and one region that used to belong to the Germanian faction, and they still won't accept it!

Another question, what is the best way of gaining senate popularity? I have a very high standing with the people, but gaining senate popularity is very diffcult!

historical inaccuracys

The worst IMO being that the Egyptians are still an empire  crazy_o.gif

Oh, and how in the nine hells do you get a faction to become your protectorate?

I have the Britons down to only their capital city, and still they won't accept the sweetest of deals! I once offered them 10.000 denarii, all the provinces I took from them, a regular tribute of 200 denarii for 10 rounds, and one region that used to belong to the Germanian faction, and they still won't accept it!  

Another question, what is the best way of gaining senate popularity? I have a very high standing with the people, but gaining senate popularity is very diffcult!

The Egyptians were an empire at this time, albeit a successor of both Alexander's and Ptomely's kingdoms. Whats really shocking about the Egyptians is that they are more "old kingdom" Egyptians from about 3 centuries prior from when the game was set, than the more hellentistic "Greek's" they were at that time.

Still its a lot of fun to play as them tounge_o.gif

I got the Gauls to become my protectorate by offering them one province back and map information.

AFAIK the only way of gaining senate support is completing senate missions, and not expanding too quickly. Although the plebs love that.

All in all a sweet game, and hopefully a huge amount of mods will be released for it.

Grrhngh! This protectorate thing is driving me crazy, I am standing outside the captial of Germania with 3000 men, their town has about 2 buildings that aren't razed. I'm offerning them ALL their lost provinces, my entire coffin of gold (12000 denarii), map information, one former Briton province, and their faction leader tells me they can't give anything in return! My only demand is that they surrender to the house of Julii and the glory of Rome, like the remaining 68 percent of Europe! crazy_o.gif