Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

Rome: total war / napoleon total war

This games great and I'm also really impressed by how well it runs on lower end systems. I've got a 1.8 with 256 RAM and 64mb graphics card and I can run it fine so long as I keep terrain detail a little low.

I love this game though, it looks great and sounds great, it's also a lot less clumsy then the earlier games in camera control aspects and the control is more stream-lined. The war elephants sure do eat up infantry, and hellfish was right, the cavalry is far better, with the way they cut through the ranks and circle back around again.

Whats worse than an enemy elephant charging you?

One of yours retreating back towards you.

Yer thats true. Anyone seen the elephant special ability when the elephants start running and killing everything? One click of a button and you can kill your elephants if they're charging at you.

That only happens if they're rampagin. If crews are on top and they're just as afraid of the enemy as the elephants are, it won't let you. So you have to watch in horror as your phalanx is suddenly turned into a carpet.

Nice. I'm getting a few glitches, distant hills are strange colours and the formation menu crashes the demo but I'm not too concerned at this point.

I'm delighted to find I can turn on all the detail and it is still smooth. I think a demo like this can hardly show what the game can really offer but its a nice little taste to keep us going. I'd decided to buy the game ages ago but its reassuring to know it will work on my machine.

I am so excited about the new campaign map though. That was always the weak point in the first two games to my mind ( despite being a full generation ahead of the competition ) so this promises reallly good things.

That only happens if they're rampagin. If crews are on top and they're just as afraid of the enemy as the elephants are, it won't let you. So you have to watch in horror as your phalanx is suddenly turned into a carpet.

It takes less for the Elephants to route before the units riding them, when you see the exclamation mark next on their unit banner its time to bash them in the head.

There is also several unofficial mods been made for the demo already, you can find them here

These mods include:

Playing as the Romans in the Trebia battle.

Making the Trebia Battle Gauls vs Carthage, or Gauls vs Rome.

Changing the time and weather of the battle.

And various other things.

When you install a mod, you have to reinstall the demo in order to install another mod.

Game went "gold" sometime last week, will be released on 22nd September in the USA, 23rd in Australia and 24th in New Zealand.

The game has not been announced "gold" yet, but rest assured its been out of CA's hands for sometime now and is under wraps with Activision.

Unfortunatley I have no idea when a European release date is likely, the UK version may be released on the 24th and the French/German versions on the 1st October, or both may be released simultaneously on the 1st.

I just cant wait for the other mods to migrate over to Rome Total War, I really want to command Napoleonic Era troops in the thousands in awesome graphics.

Wow, this is definitely on "to get" list

smile_o.gif

Grrr.... Too bad Europe is last on the release date list.....

(And have you ever noticed, how almost all good games seem to come in pairs of three or four? I swear it must be to agitate everyone on a tight budget)

EDIT: The Swedish gaming website FragZone says September 24th is the release date for Europe smile_o.gif

Activision have just "officially" announced its gone gold and will be in stores on the 22nd September in North America (thats only 9 days away, remember you heard it here first ). I'll edit this post when I find out the European release date. wink_o.gif

Oh, and is TotalWarCenter down? I'm really itching to play as the Gaulls against the Roman senate in the tutorial battle biggrin_o.gif

I really LOVED the RoDeO tool that was at TWC, maginificent huge battles between the Gaulls and the Romans biggrin_o.gif

RTW is 3 days away in the UK  biggrin_o.gif

Cant wait to get it. Does anyone play online? I used to be in a MTW clan but they seem to have disappeared without a trace (they all went to VI and i said i didnt want to buy it but that i would come back for RTW....only now i come back theyve all gone  rock.gif )

I guess people in the USA have this now. Bastards  tounge_o.gif

Its really hard to believe that THIS is an ingame shot

http://image.com.com/gamespo....004.jpg

You used to get images like that on the covers of games, not actually in the game itself wow_o.gif

I've have RTW since Saturday, buth avn't had a chance to play it since my brother holds it in his stronghold basement room.

But with the little time I did play it, all I can say is: Don't underestimate the Gauls or the Barbarians. Nothing makes you cry than watching a bunch of naked fanatics slaughter your legion. Oi!

They even chased my infantry away with running, screaming, burning pigs.

*edit*

Actually, Pathy, that screen shot IS possible. But it's really rare.

Yep, had it since Friday (god bless importmadness.co.uk  smile_o.gif )

GOTY thus far for sure.  biggrin_o.gif

*edit Put units sizes on huge, and play into the eventuallity of the Roman Civil wars, you will see battles with 6000+ units every battle.

I am thinking seriously of getting R:TW, it is available in New Zealand now and it seems like it is an extremely well developed game. My dilemma is do I want to get it now but force myself not to overindulge in it, as I have to study for exams in November. I might be better served waiting until after exams and school is over, and hopefully by then the price will have been reduced.