Sign in to follow this  
FW200

Eu expands

There's also a mentality issue with the Cyprus problem. Compromise is a sign of weakness. Once one side gives the other everything it's asking for, the other side decides to ask for more.

Paphos is pretty much a british retirement colony; Cyprus' economy has made a lot of money off of tourism, and the number one country of origin for tourists on Cyprus is the UK. Also, many Cypriots have immigrated to Great Britain, forming entire neighborhoods. Cyprus does preserve that colonial feel in parts, but I wouldn't call it a "british isle".

Tourism is a big source of income, and the best beaches on Cyprus are in the North (and hence underdeveloped). For a solution to work, it has to address to some extent the economic inequality between the two groups. The right of return is a good thing, but the Turks aren't going to look fondly on a settlement that says, "Okay, give us back all that beachfront property and move back to your dismal little villages and UN-enclaves you had before the invasion. We promise we won't hurt you, and we'll legislate in your interests."

In short, it's a situation that requires compromise, and I don't think both sides can do that, at least at the moment.

The return of pre-conflict property ownerships is a more sticky issue. If we did that in Europe, we would have to go back before the Roman Empire to settle who should 'rightfully' own what. It's not very practical. Granted, for Cyprus we'd only have to look back 30 years and most of those that lost property are still alive today. Still, you'd have to kick out the current owners who most likely bought the property fairly (from those that originally captured it from the original Greek owners). Overall it's a nearly impossible project. I know that they attempted stuff like that in many countries after the fall of communism (after ww2 the state had confiscated a lot of private property) and it did not work out at all.

I've had my own ideas on this, and I think something along the following lines could work:

Firstly, it is established who wants to return to his old home (pending proof that they actually did live there). If their old home is unoccupied, they get to move in and Greece and Turkey share the renovation costs 50/50.

If their old home is occupied, however, and the current owners do not want to give it up, then the governments of Greece and Turkey should compensate the individual wishing to return, either with a new house in that village, or with the money value of the house at the time of purchase of the new owners. Costs should be split 50/50 again.

I think its only fair that the main responsible parties pay to clear that mess up smile_o.gif

The beaurocratic effort, however, is best left to the EU or UN, as I don't think any Greek-based beaurocracy could deal with something this big crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think it´s kind of funny what quarrel is about that little isle

Meh, if I were you I would not knock ethnic conflicts such as this. This conflict is older than your country, so I am not surprised you don't understand. Don't knock patriotism/nationalism, you should know from your own history that this is a very very strong force and not to be messed with or to be belittled.

It has to be taken into account, all the time. Remember that this force has unleashed some of the most destructive wars in human history. If it has done it before, it can do it again.

I've had my own ideas on this, and I think something along the following lines could work:

Firstly, it is established who wants to return to his old home (pending proof that they actually did live there). If their old home is unoccupied, they get to move in and Greece and Turkey share the renovation costs 50/50.

If their old home is occupied, however, and the current owners do not want to give it up, then the governments of Greece and Turkey should compensate the individual wishing to return, either with a new house in that village, or with the money value of the house at the time of purchase of the new owners. Costs should be split 50/50 again.

I think its only fair that the main responsible parties pay to clear that mess up smile_o.gif

The beaurocratic effort, however, is best left to the EU or UN, as I don't think any Greek-based beaurocracy could deal with something this big crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Sounds like a good and fair suggestion. There is however a slight problem, and that's convincing Turkey and Greece to pay up. I don't they would like your suggestion very much.

Turkey you could possibly poke with the EU stick, but I don't see any practical means of convince Greece. And if Greece isn't in then Turkey most likely won't pay, regardless of EU threats.

This time they look through the fingers for Slovenia (it has a dispute with Croatia about a small stretch of land that would give Slovenia access to the sea) and completely ignored for Cyprus.

piran-03.jpg

Piran, Slovenia is one of my favourite Adriatic coastal settlements.  Is this part of the disputed stretch of coastline that you are referring to?

Quote[/b] ]Remember that this force has unleashed some of the most destructive wars in human history. If it has done it before, it can do it again.

Yes I see but hey we are in the 21st century now. Shouldn´t things like that in europe be solved ? I mean, it´s a bit "outdated" don´t you think ?

Quote[/b] ]Remember that this force has unleashed some of the most destructive wars in human history. If it has done it before, it can do it again.

Yes I see but hey we are in the 21st century now. Shouldn´t things like that in europe be solved ? I mean, it´s a bit "outdated" don´t you think ?

In your opinion perhaps.

However, other people disagree. Remember the wars fought by the former Yugoslav nations. Remember Rwanda. Remember Israel vs. Palestine. Remember the UK and their outlook to the EU. Remember the Falklands. Remember Russia and Chechnya. Remember South Africa. Remember America and the backlash on Mexicans. Remember the Western World and the backlash against Muslims. Remember backlash against the Roma. Italian backlash against Albanians.

Irregardless of what you think is better or not, other people may disagree. As I have shown, it is still a very strong force, even in Europe. It must be taken into account.

There are as I see it today a couple of embarassments for Europe - issues that we really have to fix sooner or later. Cyprus is one of them. Albania is another. Then we also have the fallout of the war in Yugoslavia - Kosovo and Serbia in general. I'm a bit more optimistic on those though.

mdf558601.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Cyprus or Crete? Stamp Seems to Blur EU Map

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....tamp_dc

Thu May 6, 9:30 AM ET

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland, current president of the European Union (news - web sites), has issued a postage stamp which appears to confuse new EU-member Cyprus with the Greek holiday island of Crete.

The stamp shows a map of the enlarged EU with the old member states colored blue and the new states in yellow.

Cyprus is positioned just south of Greece and looks suspiciously like Crete in shape. It is longer and thinner than the real Cyprus and has a rectangular bump on the bottom of it, just like the Greek island.

"The shape is closer to that of Crete than Cyprus although, to be fair, the designer does seem to have taken some artistic license with the other countries too," said Peter Geoffrey, a Dublin philatelist.

"I suppose it might be a little insulting if you were from either Crete or Cyprus."

The Irish Post Office insisted on Thursday there had been no mistake but conceded the designers had to move Cyprus from its position in the eastern Mediterranean to fit it on the stamp.

"There is no way they could have left Cyprus where it was," a spokeswoman said. "It's quite a crowded stamp as it is.

"This is not meant to be a "to-scale" map of the EU," she added. "It's like an image taken through a photographer's fish-eye lens. I know some people are saying it looks like Crete but it's not. It is quite definitely Cyprus."

There are as I see it today a couple of embarassments for Europe - issues that we really have to fix sooner or later. Cyprus is one of them. Albania is another. Then we also have the fallout of the war in Yugoslavia - Kosovo and Serbia in general. I'm a bit more optimistic on those though.

And the Eurovision song contest.

And the Eurovision song contest.

Yeah, I think nuclear weapons might be needed to get rid of that one crazy_o.gif

Considering the (absence of) talent of the competitors and their media coverage, I guess a bunch of rotten tomatoes would do.

I have a weird feeling, I don't hold much faith or hope in Europe, i'd like if it, in the end would work as expected and become the utopia we try to make the future Europe out to be, but if it doesn't well ... I'll just move on.

But yet, I still participate in european processes and support Europe in general, but i'm not sure it this entity will effectively last in the long term.

It's great to see more unity in this world. Maybe this will cause us americans to stop thinking that we're the head of the world, and nothin else matters. I say that the EU is the next powerhorse of the modern world.

Rome wasnt built in a day, ya know? smile_o.gif