Sign in to follow this  
FW200

Eu expands

Well after speaking to several Greek Cypriots in the south during my small ammount of time there, the general consensus is it was Turkey who invaded (fact), and Turkey who continues to occupy the North (debatable but its what greek Cypriots tend to believe). Turkey also sends alot of immigrants over, for example, Famagusta, the abandoned city, is slowly being taken back over by immigrants from Turkey. Or thats what the guy who ran an observation post over Famagusta told me.

Greek Cypriots certainly feel Turkey has a hand in it........

Well after speaking to several Greek Cypriots in the south during my small ammount of time there, the general consensus is it was Turkey who invaded (fact), and Turkey who continues to occupy the North (debatable but its what greek Cypriots tend to believe).

That statement is the wrong way around biggrin_o.gif

It is a FACT that Turkey occupies the North, but debatable that Turkey invaded - we played a part in this as well :P

As far as I see it - there was a treaty that said that if either side (Greece or Turkey) tried something funny with Cyprus, then the other side would be legally allowed to prevent that from happening.

In '74, this crazy Greek Cypriot priest (makarios) wanted "Enosys", the unification with Greece. This violated the treaty, hence Turkey sent an army. Fortunately for NATO, we were ruled by a corrupt American-sponsored dictatorship that didn't care about these treaties, and thus sent off about two platoon's worth of soldiers to have them slaughtered by 10,000 turks.

If we had a proper government at that time, they would most likely have sticked to the treaties, thus turning Cyprus into the first big battlefield in a long war between us and them.

So I suppose we can actually thank the CIA for once that NATO did not get split in this case wow_o.gif

Say, what's changed anyway? tounge_o.gif

The new universal rule to walk backwards at all times from now on. It might be hard to transform from walking in a forward direction to walking backwards, but it's just a small price to pay for being "one of us" wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I'm in the EU now  biggrin_o.gif

Say, what's changed anyway? tounge_o.gif

You can now go to Britain, claim benefits, and have all Sun readers get into a fit tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Welcome! smile_o.gif

Part of my family is living in Hungary close to the border to Austria and they are having quite a party there this night, they told me.

[edit]@albert:[/edit]

so then... the border from poland to germany was heavily patroled before, right? the smugglers surely wanted to sell their stuff in the EU not in poland. now they only have to cross the eastern polish border and can transport their stuff everywere. before they had to cross one more border.

and if you ask me: i don't take care of smugglers. if you'd say that the economy in the "not-yet-in-the-EU" states will go down... but smugglers?  rock.gif

No. they sold their goods to poles. We are talking about terrible human tragedies here. Not about 1 or 2 but of several thousands who used sold their cheap staff to the relatively rich polish population.

if the tax would have been paid for all those cigarettes they smuggled, maybe their government would now have the money to "make" jobs for them.

@ex-ronin: and who gurantees the power of denktas in north cyprus? his private army?

That is a bit ignorant raedor. Tax from who to who? We are talking about countries here that have zero to no tax on cigarettes. And therefore they are able to sell them so cheaply to poles. Criminality, and especially little smuggling is often the only way out for people to become homeless. We have the same problem with viatnamese imigrants in east germany and I assure you a south east asian despises nothing more than to be called a criminal. So they chose the intermediate step: do business, dont cheat your customer, but cheat the government. I rather prefer this sort of illegal labour than real criminality. Or do you want that they prostitute themselves instead of selling cigarettes. And this is not a silly comparison, this is what politicians assume will happen. If they cant smuggle goods then they can still come with their body only. And a body can be sold too. Nah, EU is good for us but not good for the surrounding countries. The border of poverty is just pushed a little more to the east. And there poverty will be intesified.

Ok, I can now say from personal experience that this expansion rules!

I just got back from an expansion party where I made out with a very beautiful girl from Slovenia. I got her phone number so all I can say is: go expansion! biggrin_o.gif

Actually, now that I think about it (although I'm a bit drunk, but I think that I got this right) I should sample what each and every new country has to offer biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just got back from an expansion party where I made out with a very beautiful girl from Slovenia. I got her phone number so all I can say is: go expansion

I am a bad man! During my time in Salamanca I lived with 2 slowenian girls in an appartment. They ran out of money so I kept feeding them for 3 weeks. Not they I wanted to "xxx" with them in order to get my money back but they were very pretty and nice to talk to and they gave me a lot of attention during my entire time in spain. They are nice people indeed. A german can learn a lot from them especially when it comes to work under hard conditions, earn little, be diligent but still stay optimistic. I think I know what you are talking about. And they were good dancers as well. I enjoyed their friendship very much and thought about working in slowenia many times. I am good in learning a language pretty fast but I dont speak a single foreign language in a competent manner. ( I got an E in english during my time in germany). But who knows, maybe in the future with a german company I will be given the chance. Anyhow, I hugged the lady that cleans our house today (she is polish). She is the mama of our household and even though she seemed kind of embarassed when I did it I think she still enjoyed it. And we gave her a nice bottle of champaign!

Hey, where are all the beautiful ladies that would come today?

The more countries that join EU the closer that the EU is to become one, the closer that the EU becomes one the closer the world becomes one.

Before I leave for the night, remember those words.

I think I know what you are talking about.

!

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no idea what I am talking about so I have much less an idea of what you know what I know that I'm talking about. crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

She was really good looking and she bought me a drink. That's all I know wink_o.gif Exchange student, studying medicine IIRC.

Quote[/b] ]Anyhow, I hugged the lady that cleans our house today (she is polish).

You have a house maid? crazy_o.gif How bourgeois! wink_o.gif

You have a Polish house maid? Interesting as I read an article about that recently. It said something like how difficult it will be after the expansion for Ukranian house maids to come and work in Poland, where they are very popular. Apprently there's an economic food chain.... rock.gif Anyhow with the exponentially growing economies of the former easter block I think that in the near future it will be very hard to find Polish house maids or overall people taking low paying low status jobs..

Labour day Denoir, your definetley drunk smile_o.gif

It is not bourgeois at all. Dont give me bullshit about your family not being able to afford a maid. Considering your level of sophistication I am damn sure you stem from a good background financially wise. And dont play the poor guy to me  wink_o.gif !

As you know we have many poles in gemany that try to make their daily living. We usually pay them "black" (no taxes). Not because we couldnt afford it but like this they can keep their hard earned money and surivive with what they have without asking for social support money. They are often far more noble with their working attitude than most germans.

I am kind of embarrased of my own nation. And I hope the new countries will show what it means to work hard for daily living. They might think we look down on them but given the economical progress of slowenia I doubt there is a way to be arrogant. Their economy is sky-rocking. Teach those fat ass germans (including me) what real work means. I guess we forgot!

That is a bit ignorant raedor. Tax from who to who? We are talking about countries here that have zero to no tax on cigarettes. And therefore they are able to sell them so cheaply to poles. Criminality, and especially little smuggling is often the only way out for people to become homeless. We have the same problem with viatnamese imigrants in east germany and I assure you a south east asian despises nothing more than to be called a criminal. So they chose the intermediate step: do business, dont cheat your customer, but cheat the government. I rather prefer this sort of illegal labour than real criminality. Or do you want that they prostitute themselves instead of selling cigarettes. And this is not a silly comparison, this is what politicians assume will happen. If they cant smuggle goods then they can still come with their body only. And a body can be sold too. Nah, EU is good for us but not good for the surrounding countries. The border of poverty is just pushed a little more to the east. And there poverty will be intesified.

hmmh rock.gif

i agree with the second part wink_o.gif

It is not bourgeois at all. Dont give me bullshit about your family not being able to afford a maid. Considering your level of sophistication I am damn sure you stem from a good background financially wise. And dont play the poor guy to me  wink_o.gif !

Personally, I'm not rich. Yet  wink_o.gif Had I been more sober, I would have made hamburgers out of your post especially your implication that poor people can't be sophisticated even with a free school system like we have in Europe. But I'm not going to bother with that, instead, I'll make my original point.

Yes, my family has a fairly good financial background - but they don't have a house maid. Not because of money, but because of the principle. You see in Sweden house keeping help is a cardinal sin. We've had ministers resigning over it when they were discovered. It has a very negative connotation here in Sweden (probably has something to do with the social democrats being more or less in power the last 70 years). It is considered exploitation. Hence the bourgeois joke.

As far as I'm concerned I would have no problem with it. In Sweden however it is not considered kosher, so to say.

Quote[/b] ]I am kind of embarrased of my own nation. And I hope the new countries will show what it means to work hard for daily living. They might think we look down on them but given the economical progress of slowenia I doubt there is a way to be arrogant. Their economy is sky-rocking. Teach those fat ass germans (including me) what real work means. I guess we forgot!

Ha! It will be the other way around. They do the real work because they need the money. Fairly soon when their economies will be as good as ours then they'll be as lazy as we are.

Quote[/b] ]I am kind of embarrased of my own nation. And I hope the new countries will show what it means to work hard for daily living. They might think we look down on them but given the economical progress of slowenia I doubt there is a way to be arrogant. Their economy is sky-rocking. Teach those fat ass germans (including me) what real work means. I guess we forgot!

Ha! It will be the other way around. They do the real work because they need the money. Fairly soon when their economies will be as good as ours then they'll be as lazy as we are.

sad but true. and then other people have to do the work they did before... and get less money for that.

Good you are drunk. I so you cant make burgers ! biggrin_o.gif

Nah, my mom needs support. She is hard working and everything but a spoiled sista! Saying that a household cannot employ support is discriminative. To run a family is just as work-intense as running a company. Why should one be able to recruit an assistant and the other shouldnt?

And I bet it will be the other way around to what you say will be the other way around rock.gif

They will soon start to kick our ass, and we will forced to rise our weekly working hours. We will be forced to remain competitive against a much cheaper but simillar sophisticated labour force ofhe eastern european countrys. Germany will need a while to get this message but when fate strikes us hard we are usually very successful!

Germany will need a while to get this message but when fate strikes us hard we are usually very successful!

but that's faaar away (that fate strikes us hard). i know, everyone here can tell you that it's going down and that we're poor and everything's bad here. but we're still one of the "richest" countrys.

Good you are drunk. I so you cant make burgers !  biggrin_o.gif

And I bet it will be the other way around to what you say will be the other way around  rock.gif

Yes, yes... but why is the rum gone? rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Saying that a household cannot employ support is discriminative. To run a family is just as work-intense as running a company. Why should one be able to recruit an assistant and the other shouldnt?

I agree with you, but I'm just telling you the way it is in Sweden. I actually did suggest it to my former girlfriend who I lived with for a while. She went through the roof saying that she would not exploit some old woman to do the cleaning that we can easily do ourselves. It's a touchy issue here.

Quote[/b] ]They will soon start to kick our ass, and we will forced to rise our weekly working hours. We will be forced to remain competitive against a much cheaper but simillar sophisticated labour force ofhe eastern european countrys. Germany will need a while to get this message but when fate strikes us hard we are usually very successful!

We'll see. I doubt it very much.

Anyway, I'm off to bed or something. I must say that I am very impressed with my postings here tonight. As far as I can see my spelling has been impeccable despite my fairly drunk state. On the other hand I don't think I'm in the right state to evaluate my own spelling. wink_o.gif

Good night to you all and a big welcome again to the new members of the European Union.

you dont sound drunk! That is compliment enough I guess. And when you wake up tomorrow morning and you read this post then you will be happy about "Damn I was so wasted and still managed to write a few decent arguments, after all, I didnt embarass myself"

So good night and good morning denoir!

And concerning the good looking women.. I think we should allow venezuela, Honduras, Equador, Guatemala and Belize into the EU! tounge_o.gif

It's really nice to see these new countries join the EU.. It's really the last chapter of the cold war.

And finnaly I wont go to sleep today cause I reall dont want to wake up tomorrow.. I'm getting too old for this shit

Well, at first i'd like to congratulate all those new countries. I'm sure most of the families are happy about joining the EU.

Here goes a negative part from my point of view: it's not a secret that all those ex-USSR countries have a very bad attitude towards Russians. Some people there say that their sirname sounds weird because it sounds like a Russian sirname. That's just one example on the level of simple people. On the political and legislative level countires like Latvia are performing reforms connected with the Russian culture. Russian language cannot be spoken in schools in Latvia, for example. Russian families of ex-armymen of USSR and being departured from those countries although they have lived their whole lives there. In Estonia on 23 of November, 2003, was erected a monument to Waffen SS who fought against the forces of the Allies. And this is happening when these countries are joining the EU! I have always thought that the EU has very many great cultural, economical, political sides. And if i'm not mistaken now the EU has just closed its eyes on what's happening on what's happening there. The actions of these countries can't be called just. I'm not talking about Czech Republic, Malta and the Greek part of Cyprus. If countries which don't have a friendly policy (and that is mildly said) towards RF join the Eu we will see the the shift in politics soon.

Quote[/b] ]There are actually some quite progressive countries joining Europe. In Estonia they have even per constitution guranteed access to the Internet, iirc

That's not progressive, that's casuistic. Unless you've mixed something up and it's not written in constitution of Estonia. I'll look it up a bit later. smile_o.gif

About cold war i can say that it was over long ago (officially and de facto). What we have now is an era of another war, a political and economical without threatening each other each day. my point of view sounds quite pessimistic. But still my congratulations go to those who don't care about nationalities in new EU countries. I hope that we will all live better now.