Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Mapfact releases h&k xm8

VERY nice weapon, but a few bugs to report;

-I can't get the weapon to work with other troops (with the init line)

-the shadow is only present on the model without the mag (all versions AFAIK) (reported already, but just being complete here)

-the magazine disappears when selecting handgrenade as weapon.

-when you load a C-mag into the CC the model changes to the machinegun model. Little mistake in scripting I guess.

I wonder how you'll make it JAM compatible rock.gif

Didn't you use the 6.8mm on your weapon. If so; this round is just as powerfull as the 7.62 NATO round (to 300m). Making it JAM compatible would mean using 5.56mm, which would lower the hittingpower of this weapon (although the JAM round is too powerfull for a 5.56 round)

Just a little question;

Could you raise db on the sound a bit? I think it could be louder (just a bit). The weapon uses 6.8mm which should be enough to produce a bang. It will give the weapon a bit more the feeling of a real rifle, I think.

Actually the XM-8 is (for now) 5.56 mm smile_o.gif

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

I recall hearing the version which goes into service will be 6.8 but don't quote me on that..  smile_o.gif

ok, you're right. But in the future it will be 6.8mm since it's already in use with special forces (who modified their weapons to 6.8mm). Quote on the XM-8:

Quote[/b] ]A unique feature of the XM8 modular weapon system is the ability to easily and quickly reconfigure the weapon from one variant to the other to meet changing mission requirements, to include caliber conversion.

Since this addon represents a future weapon, why not include the 6.8mm round already. It will only make the weapon better.

To be honest, i think the textures need some work, especially on the scope and main body. It seems to plain and i dont like it being green.

-ZiRo

To be honest, i think the textures need some work, especially on the scope and main body. It seems to plain and i dont like it being green.

-ZiRo

well, to be honest with you;

I think the textures are plain and green, because, well.., the real thing actualy is plain and green... tounge_o.gif

I hope they'll do a desert version (desert tan) and winter version (white with light grey stripes) too, though. This shouldn't be so much work. I would say both can be done in les than a day.

VERY nice weapon, but a few bugs to report;

-I can't get the weapon to work with other troops (with the init line)

-the shadow is only present on the model without the mag (all versions AFAIK) (reported already, but just being complete here)

-the magazine disappears when selecting handgrenade as weapon.

-when you load a C-mag into the CC the model changes to the machinegun model. Little mistake in scripting I guess.

I wonder how you'll make it JAM compatible rock.gif

Didn't you use the 6.8mm on your weapon. If so; this round is just as powerfull as the 7.62 NATO round (to 300m). Making it JAM compatible would mean using 5.56mm, which would lower the hittingpower of this weapon (although the JAM round is too powerfull for a 5.56 round)

Just a little question;

Could you raise db on the sound a bit? I think it could be louder (just a bit). The weapon uses 6.8mm which should be enough to produce a bang. It will give the weapon a bit more the feeling of a real rifle, I think.

yes, that's a little problem. cos the g36 has three firemodes, the xm8 has only 2 (semi & full). so we'd have to tkae e.g. the jam steyr ammo for the xm8...

there's no error message when you open the script? and it does not work? strange, very strange.

the textures are not perfect, that's right.

three bugs noticed...

1. XM8-SD has absolutely no recoil.

2. Empty mags can be destroyed - they make the "collapse" sound and produce smoke.

3. I dropped the baseline carbine and picked it up again, and when I changed mags, 2 of them would appear on the ground instead of just one.

yes, that's a little problem. cos the g36 has three firemodes, the xm8 has only 2 (semi & full). so we'd have to tkae e.g. the jam steyr ammo for the xm8...

there's no error message when you open the script? and it does not work? strange, very strange.

the textures are not perfect, that's right.

I do have an error message (I'll post it tommorow, I first need some sleep). But I don't so anything wrong, right? I just use your init line and it should work?

thx to all for bugreports.

@frostbite: yes.

Very nice weapons, guys!

Could I suggest, though, that the next update come with an ammo box? smile_o.gif

Great weapons, I especially enjoy the DMR variant for when i just need a lil extra to reach out and say hello. I did find one thing interesting though that might help others. If you use an .sqs file to add the weapons to other units, using MAP_XM8_AR_Mag30 doesn't work for all the weapons. For the SR version, you need to use MAP_XM8_SR_Mag30 and for the MG MAP_XM8_MG_Mag30. Otherwise the ai starts off with an empty weapon and will not reload unless you tell them too. For example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_unit = _this Select 0

[_unit] exec "\MAP_XM8\INIT.sqs";

RemoveAllWeapons _unit

_unit addMagazine "MAP_XM8_MG_Mag100";

_unit AddWeapon "MAP_XM8_MG";

_unit SelectWeapon "MAP_XM8_MG"

_unit addWeapon "Binocular";

_unit addWeapon "NVGoggles";

exit

The weird thing is that if you just do all this from the inti line, you can use the AR mags and it works fine.

I would like to see the black variant, imagine it will be used more than the green i would assume.

xm8apgsold1popup.jpg

Sincerely,

BlackDeath

Very nice weapons, guys!

Could I suggest, though, that the next update come with an ammo box? smile_o.gif

there is already one: ReammoBoxWest_XM8 wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Hm... must have missed it. rock.gif

it's /mapfact objects/xm8 ammo crate afaik...

sad_o.gif Don't work for me,just crashes to desktop or tells "Dx8 missing" and wont start Ofp at all?

Probably a conflict with other addon? Problem is i've got over 1gb of addons...

Directx 9.0b installed and tried to put xm8 in res/addons or ofp/addons or ofp/mod/addons don't work in any of them.

Ofp works fine without xm8.

It is my understanding that the G-36 and XM-8 have two gunsights built into the carry handle. One sight is a longer range 3 or 4 zoom I think, and I think that the other gunsight is a no zoom reflex sight for close in work. My question is this. Is it possible to have the scope view when the rifle is set to semi-auto (for long range work), and have the reflex view gunsight when the rifle is set to burst or auto (for close in work). I thought this would be possible because of the M-203 which has a normal M-16 gunsight when set to semi or burst, and then has a grenade sight view when set to grenade. Anyway I was just wondering if it's possible.

sad_o.gif Don't work for me,just crashes to desktop or tells "Dx8 missing" and wont start Ofp at all?

Probably a conflict with other addon? Problem is i've got over 1gb of addons...

Directx 9.0b installed and tried to put xm8 in res/addons or ofp/addons or ofp/mod/addons don't work in any of them.

Ofp works fine without xm8.

yes, that must be a problem with too much addons. cos nobody else had this problem.

@unhappy customer: i'm not sure, but it could be possible.

Word of the wise for headphone users:

Make sure the volume is low!

I made the mistake of cranking my volume to max, which sometimes happens if the switch gets hooked on the desk edge. When I pulled into OFP with the XM, I fired.

Cool sound though. I like the mod alot. Good work!

It is my understanding that the G-36 and XM-8 have two gunsights built into the carry handle.  One sight is a longer range 3 or 4 zoom I think, and I think that the other gunsight is a no zoom reflex sight for close in work.  My question is this.  Is it possible to have the scope view when the rifle is set to semi-auto (for long range work), and have the reflex view gunsight when the rifle is set to burst or auto (for close in work).  I thought this would be possible because of the M-203 which has a normal M-16 gunsight when set to semi or burst, and then has a grenade sight view when set to grenade.  Anyway I was just wondering if it's possible.

nope, the G36 has a iron sight and scope build in. There is an option for an extra scopesight which replaces the iron sight.

THe XM-8 (for now) has only one sight and that's a reddot sight

Ok then would it be possible on the G-36 to simulate the scope when set to semi, and iron sights when set to auto or burst?

It is my understanding that the G-36 and XM-8 have two gunsights built into the carry handle.  One sight is a longer range 3 or 4 zoom I think, and I think that the other gunsight is a no zoom reflex sight for close in work.  My question is this.  Is it possible to have the scope view when the rifle is set to semi-auto (for long range work), and have the reflex view gunsight when the rifle is set to burst or auto (for close in work).  I thought this would be possible because of the M-203 which has a normal M-16 gunsight when set to semi or burst, and then has a grenade sight view when set to grenade.  Anyway I was just wondering if it's possible.

nope, the G36 has a iron sight and scope build in. There is an option for an extra scopesight which replaces the iron sight.

Cough, you sure?  wink_o.gif

It also has an IR illuminator and an IR aimer (according to this vid , but.. as you say.. no 2 sights)

http://www.marinetimes.com/story.php?s=1-292925-xm8_sight.php

Cough, you sure?  wink_o.gif

It also has an IR illuminator and an IR aimer (according to this vid , but.. as you say.. no 2 sights)

http://www.marinetimes.com/story.php?s=1-292925-xm8_sight.php

*cough* I never mentioned any aimers, just sights. I did know about the build in illuminator and aimer.

DAMN! this issue about scopes distracted me from my reason of posting here tounge_o.gif

I totaly forgot the error message I got when using the init line: I fixed it. Me dumbass asshole fogot the "[]" around the "this". I wrote:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">This Exec "\MAP_XM8\INIT.sqs";

It should be this (as you correctly wrote in the readme):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[This] Exec "\MAP_XM8\INIT.sqs";

Now it works just fine

DAMN! this issue about scopes distracted me from my reason of posting here tounge_o.gif

I totaly forgot the error message I got when using the init line: I fixed it. Me dumbass asshole fogot the "[]" around the "this". I wrote:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">This Exec "\MAP_XM8\INIT.sqs";

It should be this (as you correctly wrote in the readme):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[This] Exec "\MAP_XM8\INIT.sqs";

Now it works just fine

ok, fine. i was wondering what there could go wrong with the scripts... wink_o.gif