Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Water waves , whirl, air twist etc.

I really wonder if we will see in OFP2 realistic 3D waves on water which bounce ship up and down ... it can already be done (see games like Enigma Rising Tide , Silent Hunter 2 and some others )

complex rivers and waterfalls....

Same goes for air effect like tornado, or just twist caused by wind or in storms ...

multiple wind levels causing different cloud at mountain top against mid altitude or river areas ... (also hot air rise, causing weather changes ...)

vapour from lakes and woods after rain ...

i know it sounds more likely like weather simulator smile_o.gif but why not ... hehe

Why not start with just adding seasons. Make it snowy in winter, chilly in spring were the sun is mixed with heavy rainfall and with trees getting light-green leaves, hot and sunny in summer and make the leaves fall of in autumn.

ya, but that not allows made you atmospherics effects or multiple levels of clouds waves can be affected by storm or wind ... etc

Hello, I wanted to suggest tornadoes and like rivers going beyond their limits and like seasons of the year, etc.

But I searched 'cos I didn't want to make a new topic 'bout it.

Well, I want to give this one more try to hear what you think of it.

So what you think? Sorry if this is ridicolous, but I can't see that it is so... wink_o.gif decide for yourself! biggrin_o.gif

seasons would be beautifull. I just hope that BIS isnt too far along to impliment it

I think there is a tornado script somewhere. If wind could be implemented, that would be really nice. It could effect flying and bullet trajectories. Maybe an easier way to determine where where water is, other than height, could allow things like waterfall's easier to implement with scripts(using the drop command probably). The only way to have water now if with it as the same height as all the other water.

Again, the 3000000 model thing. How many types of water spouts? Tornadoes? Thousands of polys in that tornado moving around at high velocity going everywhere, etc.

Waves? How many textures would we need? Models? Polys? How laggy would world generation be?

Seasons? You want a 5gb map because all the land and tree textures are changed to winter (no leaves), fall (orange/red/yellow leaves), spring (buds and leaves), and summer (leaves and mosquitoes)? What about weather conditions? I assume you want those changed.

Yes, this is all good and nice if we're working with a brand new engine. You want Half-Life 2. You don't want Flashpoint 2. Realism is not a matter of how many models you can fit in, and exactly how many hundreds of CDs you can make a game, and how many harddrives you can break, it's how you use models and physics.

This is the Poseidon engine people. This is not Half Life 2.

Your point being?

They are updating the engine, so they might do some of these things, it's not just "the same ofp engine in 'nam", it's an "updated" engine, perhaps pixel shaded water, waves.. Wind, etc will all be in it.

They *are* updating the engine, so why not add more "weather" effects? Hmm..?

I think it's a good idea, though I don't think I would like to see tornadoes.. You just don't see that many tornadoes in a war do you? tounge_o.gif

Edit: Oh and for seasons, just define the models/textures in the objects so that maps won't have to be huge, it'll just use the already made models from BIS, and if people want to make their own objects, so be it, I don't think the island would be 5 gb.

I agree with spencer, while all those things might look nice who want ofp to take up 5gb of space. I know the engine has been updated but all thats a little much update or no.

who wants ofp to take up 5gb of space.

My current install of OFP is already 4.36gb. They could make OFP2 20gb and I'd still be fine with it. I'm all for these added effects (excluding tornado), oceans like that in 'Seadogs' or it's sequel 'Pirates of the Caribbean' would be excellent.

Cap.

They could make OFP2 20gb and I'd still be fine with it. I'm all for these added effects (excluding tornado), oceans like that in 'Seadogs' or it's sequel 'Pirates of the Caribbean' would be excellent.

Cap.

my harddrive isnt even that big sad_o.gif

Seasons? You want a 5gb map because all the land and tree textures are changed to winter (no leaves), fall (orange/red/yellow leaves), spring (buds and leaves), and summer (leaves and mosquitoes)? What about weather conditions? I assume you want those changed.

Just look at the winter versions of islands we already have now. They aren't that big in filesize either. So, the engine could just move missions onto different islands based on seasons.

Quote[/b] ]Seasons? You want a 5gb map because all the land and tree textures are changed to winter (no leaves), fall (orange/red/yellow leaves), spring (buds and leaves), and summer (leaves and mosquitoes)?

FDF's East Border map is an excellent, detailed map, and the total PBO comes in at about 40MBs. The Winter East Border island is the same size. Realistically, having all four seasons would only require ~200MBs of space. Somehow, I doubt that some small objects with scripts are going to take up 4GBs of space. Seasons, if included, would certainly add a new element to the game. Lightly-clothed Resistance soldiers couldn't just frolic around Nogova for years on end, they'd freeze to death during the winter. Currently, we're fighting during a perpetual spring. Yes, we have realistic night-and-day cycles during the winter, we have realistic star patterns, but we're lacking the four seasons. Hopefully the larger, more experienced BI will be able to add seasons to OFP2. It won't take up too much space, and it will add much to the game's realism smile_o.gif .

I'm not so much a fan of waves, but that may just be a personal preference. I think that a lot of players (Including myself) think of water merely as a way to get on and get off the land. Unless BI spends a lot of time making larger ships and better naval AI, fancy waves wouldn't do much and wouldn't even be seen very often.

The whole thing is, I wouldn't PERSONALLY mind. Others would.

Quote[/b] ]The whole thing is, I wouldn't PERSONALLY mind. Others would.

Then BI can say that a large hard drive is a requirement if you want a full installation. I don't see a problem with that.

Thing is, you are asking for pointless things just because they CAN be done. Whirlwind? Who is going to use a whirlwind in the middle of a war simulation.....

Now seasons WOULD be a good idea. smile_o.gif

Yeah! And maybe if it's snows or rains VERY heavily then the siland could be flooded or much much snow, so you won't likely manage to drive vehicles like cars,jeeps etc. Mainly because it's too much water or too much snow.. Well what you guys think of this? Could be cool for long mp missions maybe.

And also maybe you'd have to change the planned route 'cos of unexpected MUCH water or snow, what you think? blues.gif

Speaking of the size of ofp2...

I wonder if there is a possibility to release it on DVD? Having several cd's is just annoying.

Quote[/b] ] And maybe if it's snows or rains VERY heavily then the siland could be flooded or much much snow, so you won't likely manage to drive vehicles like cars,jeeps etc.

That's the only sensible idea in this thread. Mud or snow would make it much more difficult to gou outside the road with vehicles, causing very different tactical conditions. Shouldn't require that much work or CPU power either, as long as the graphics fanatics don't run wild.

At least make the waves bigger when it is storm,

I hate that it don't happens in OFP sad_o.gif

-Rivers

-Riverfalls

-Seasons

-Different winds

Simply more enviorment effects

(I probley need a new graphic card for OFP2 anyway)