Sign in to follow this  
Spy17

Silent hunteriii

played all night long for 2 missions, now i got a big <span style='color:red'>!</span> above my head but the missions were very succesfull..

bought another boat and made many more sailors unhappy with my bigger torpedo capacity biggrin_o.gif

SH3.jpg

SH31.jpg

SH32.jpg

SH33.jpg

SH34.jpg

SH35.jpg

Wow Mr. Burns! That last pic looks real crazy_o.gif! Well done indeed.

What year are you in and what type of U-Boat do you have rock.gif

Any one know of a fast way to leave harbour without having to manualy navigate rock.gif

, none of the harbour structures are marked on the map .

I start off from inside the dock bunker at ahead 1/3. Leave the rudder amidship. Time accelerate a little bit so you're past the docks edge on in more open harbor water.

Go to the navigation map, zoom in and set waypoints leading you out of your inlet to the more open big blue wet thing.

Quote[/b] ]

How best to pick up a convoy ?

Are they mission specific or are the seas full of them ,do i just keep missing them ?

First and foremost, obey your orders and head to your objective area. Whether you'll bump into a convoy or not is a matter of hit or miss.

However, you might receive a radio message from HQ that there's a convoy near your present position.

I find that the most likely area where convoys will turn up are off the north coast of Ireland, on there way to/from Liverpool. Consult the paper quadrent map that comes with the game from historical convoy routes.

Can I get some gentlemen to throw me bonbons on my return? sad_o.gif

Buy me a ticket to Isreal and I will provide the bon bons tounge_o.gif. Tossing bon bons at someone....now that would be fun biggrin_o.gif.

Buy me a ticket to Isreal and I will provide the bon bons tounge_o.gif.

But I'm in Kiel! rock.gif

tounge_o.gif

What year are you in and what type of U-Boat do you have rock.gif

thanks  smile_o.gif  

i´m in late 1939 now, the boat is a VII-B and packs twice as much torps as the II-A

also the deck gun is quite useful for finishing off disabled ships, im more than satisfied with it.

Buy me a ticket to Isreal and I will provide the bon bons tounge_o.gif.

But I'm in Kiel! rock.gif

tounge_o.gif

well then just wait for carnival, although i dunno if the fischkoepp celebrate it like we do  biggrin_o.gif

damn I bought the game today went off to work and I broke my arm at work today it's hard to play ofp now with 1 arm sad_o.gif SH3 is better I can play t with 1 arm but no so good damn that I broked my arm the whole day allmost in hospital sad_o.gif

Hope I heal quick cause I was also playing CSS online damn work damn arm sad_o.gif

The best thing about games is they don't go anywhere. Get your arm healed up, the games will be waiting for you.

todays missions were all out in AM so in the first of 2 missions i took the long way as the channel was supposedly crowded with ships i dont like (second mission ctd´ed because of taskswitching as i was halfway through the channel, note: alt+tab is a nono for SH3).

shipping all around england revealed many targets of opportunity. although it was hard to avoid dive bombers, spotting planes etc. and some of my crewman also died from a perfect hit into the tower (screen below).

nevertheless the map showed sunken ships all over my travelling route when i finally reached AM94 (after 5-6 hrs realtime) with 2 torpedos left which found their destination in another freigther and C2.

awesome mission but the destroyer paranoia is making me crazy_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

SH36.jpg

that´s what you get..

SH37.jpg

for bombing my boat  biggrin_o.gif

edit:typo

anyone got the World Expansion for Silent Hunter III 2.0?

was released on the 1st but i cant find a working link

thanks

NP wink_o.gif

Is there anyone here that can tell me if it's possible to redirect the pictures you can take with the built-in screenshot application?

I'll just stick to the 'Flashpoint Photography' rules, 4 pics per. post.

-Good bye air support-

SH3_07.jpg

SH3_08.jpg

SH3_09.jpg

Trying to be a bit creative

SH3_13.jpg

SH3_12.jpg

SH3_10.jpg

SH3_14.jpg

PS: If you think the color or the brightness is wrong please notify me, my monitor is a bit f***ed.

EDIT: Just looking from my labtop and the colors is f***ed as hell crazy_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Pic #2: Sub and the boat in-front should have been black with a bit red in it.

I was going to make a post a while ago that the game is far too easy. That the destroyers were pathetic and overall how sinking lots of ships was no challenge. That was before 1943. In '40 and '41 one could sink and terrorize the Brits at will. In '42 America and the Caribbean were target-rich risk-free environments.

My method was quite simple, I would get up close and personal to my target and fire a torpedo at point blank range (300-400m), often surfaced. In convoys the destroyers were slow to respond and it was quite easy to infiltrate the convoy submerged, pop up in the middle, blast some ships, submerge and pop up elsewhere in the convoy, repeating the procedure. Getting inside the convoy was quite possible as the destroyers wouldn't notice you, even if you went at full flank.

The first nasty surprise was in late 1942 when the merchant fleet started to carry deck guns. While not a big problem, from time to time, they could get lucky and inflict some damage. This forced me to use torpedoes more often, even on ships sailing alone.

By 1943 things have taken a really nasty turn. The bastards protecting the convoys are using radar and have become quite competent at locating a submerged sub. If I pop up my periscope too close to a convoy, they'll get my position right away. Going in on the surface is out of the question, they'll blow me away. Coming in full flank submerged near the convoy is also out of the question as their passive sonars have apparently become much better.

And then there's the damn air coverage which is getting really annoying. Sure, a single Catalina, I can blow away, but now they use Liberators and in big numbers. With radar I can spot them from a distance giving me barely the time to crash dive. What follows then is a carpet bombing of the general area where I'm in - by 20+ aircraft.

The only good news is the acoustic torpedoes that I have now. So my general tactics for attacking convoys is now:

1) Approach the convoy to a distance of 4-5 km. (Enough distance to hide the periscope from radar, close enough for the torpedoes, and time enough to reload all the forward tubes).

2) Fire a salvo of 4 torpedoes with a wide (20 degrees) angle. Reload and fire another salvo.

3) Turn the ship and fire the stern torpedoes.

4) Dive to a greater depth and go silent, moving away from the firing position. Wait for the mandatory inspection by the destroyers.

5) Track the convoy with passive sonar. When the destroyers are gone, check out the damage. Usually the torpedo salvos sink two or so ships and disable another 2-3 ships.

6) Surface, and blow away the disabled ships with the deck gun. Load torpedoes from the external reserves.

7) Catch up with the convoy and repeat procedure.

This seems to be working at least for the time being. I have a IXDII sub that carries 24 torpedoes. The batteries are also pretty good, reducing the time surfaced (which has become dangerous now).

1st: dont use the radar - it gives you more away than it actually helps. Also in 1.2 there's still a bug that prevents you from shutting down the radar again.

2nd: try using magnetic detonators under the keel - that way you can shoot from a safe 2000m - 3000m distance without much risk in missing (also the angle of attack is less important that way) - in 1943 the magnetic detonators should work fine.

Also, dont use the periscope too much - only to aim and fire, then take it down again immediately. Maneuver into position using the passive sonar - and use the map tools to prepare your attack.

I'm still in 1940 atm, but I tend to kill the valuable targets in a convoy with shots from about 2500m usually (using the type I torpedoes). Then, when they fall back I finish them off with a second torpedo or the gun. I only attack close up if the weather is really, really bad.

Surface attacks? Only if I want to use the gun. A torpedo out of nowhere is much more effective than letting them see you first.

1st: dont use the radar - it gives you more away than it actually helps. Also in 1.2 there's still a bug that prevents you from shutting down the radar again.

In 1943, you must use radar. Otherwise you get no warning when the Liberators start coming down on you. When surfaced radar gives you just enough time to crash dive and steer away after you detected an aircraft.

Quote[/b] ]I'm still in 1940 atm, but I tend to kill the valuable targets in a convoy with shots from about 2500m usually (using the type I torpedoes). Then, when they fall back I finish them off with a second torpedo or the gun. I only attack close up if the weather is really, really bad.

Surface attacks? Only if I want to use the gun. A torpedo out of nowhere is much more effective than letting them see you first.

Acutally in 1940 surface attacks are more economic and safer, especially at night. First of all, you can kill off any ship with just one torpedo- Surfaced, up close, you can pick exactly where you want it to hit. Even a C3 can be sunk with just one torpedo. Second, in 1940 destroyers have both hydrophones and ASDIC, but they don't have radar. That means that they can detect you under water, but with much more difficulty on the surface.

Quote[/b] ]Also, dont use the periscope too much - only to aim and fire, then take it down again immediately. Maneuver into position using the passive sonar - and use the map tools to prepare your attack.

Not only that, but you'll later learn not to use the periscope at all. With acoustic torpedoes you can make a rough estimate of a target solution based on only hydrophone data. The guidance on the torpedo makes up for the error margin you have.

Acoustic torpedos work on on fast moving targets only. So they are just good for warships travelling at high speed while they are not attracted by vessels running up to 15 knots.

anyone tried making thier own emblems?

mine keep coming out badly pixelated sad_o.gif

anyone tried making thier own emblems?

mine keep coming out badly pixelated sad_o.gif

just tried my squad logo, resized it from 256˛ to 128˛ and it works although it indeed looks more edgy than before  rock.gif

edit:

SH38.jpg

Last night i finally found a passenger liner, it was a real treat. Dark as an inkwell we crept up behind her slightly to her starboard side. A quick look at the ship recog manual confirmed her as a 22K+ monster.

We set our torp to go off exactly 1 meter below her keel depth and fired away. The anticipation grew with each passing moment. Would the torp hit her and bounce off due to the steep angle or would she swim true?

Sure enough the torp found it's mark and swam like a champ towards its target, it slips under her and them BOOM a tremendouse explosion lifts her out of the water and sets off a chain reaction of explosions an she slowly starts her descent into the water. A one shot kill.

After, we cut our engines and slip alongside her and watch as she dies. This apparently really made her mad and she radios in our position and several moments later we are being engaged by aircraft and destoyers.

A game of cat and mouse then ensues but its too late. A destoryer bears down on us and even though my crew valiantly tries to fire a torpedo into the destroyer she manages to make it directly over us and unleahes her depth charges which makes short work of my boat.

The morale of the story is: When in the channel and you have just sunk a mighty behemoth don't hang around to gloat about it.

Lol winters ...

Encountered my first passenger liner too today while doing the career .. was in the carribean.

Hit her about 3 times all nice and clean and she was still afloat sad_o.gif

Then i had to step back from the convoy to reload from the outside tubes and some gfx glitch f*cked it all up sad_o.gif

The convoy more or less left her for dead since she couldn t sail anymore.

Due to this glitch my weapon screen started flashing etc .. couldnt reload anymore so i had to end the mission without sinking her i still had about 5 forward torps left and 4 rear torps ... grmbl.

I did sink 2 T2's and a troop transport of that convoy. But i wanted to soooooooo bad sink her.

The moral of this story ... computers are evil things !

unclesam.gif

Here she is after 1 st torpedo hit ...

M25-1.jpg

Next mission i encountered two lone T3's otw to patrol zone

M26-1.jpg

Dont know what s up in '43 but they each needed 3 torpedos to go down crazy_o.gif

Final torpedo hit on 1st T3, other one is manouvering around it and needed 1 more hit also

M26-2.jpg

My new submarine in it s subpen in Bordeaux

M26-3.jpg

Ex Ronin isnt gonna like my next kill ... spot why ..

M26-4.jpg

Cheers