Sign in to follow this  
OVERWATCHangel

American civil war mod close release!!!

Could you compare the accuracy to a modern weapon?

Difficult...but...on average, the guns were about half as accurate as today.

does guerilla units mean sharpshooters???

That or various raiders, such as the bushwackers and jayhawkers, as seen in the movie Ride With The Devil.

Sounds good. I wonder how one can compare the word sharpshooter to today's standards though.

On the ACW homepage (well done btw!!) it says the accuracy of the sharpshooter's rifle is very high. Could you compare the accuracy to a modern weapon?

Are there already screenshots of the new shooting animation? smile_o.gif

I've shot both... It depends on what you're comparing. If you're comparing an early Civil War musket to anything, the musket loses beyond close range. If you're comparing anything Civil War to a modern sniper rifle, anything using scoped optics, the modern weapon rules.

But if you're talking about a decent rifle from the Civil War, using a ballistically-shaped Minie Ball (ie, not a 'roundball'), compared to something like a stock M-16 or AK-47 with iron sights, the old rifle doesn't compare so badly for accuracy. Rate of fire, of course, there's no comparison...

Consider that the Civil War rifle had a very loooong, heavy barrel, and shot a heavy large-caliber bullet. Not a bad combination!

Being so long, I think they'd have an edge crazy_o.gif in the bayonet department, and I'd hate like heck to get smacked by the butt of one of those heavy old rifles...

During battle of Spotsylvania in Virginia unknown Confederate sharpshooter killed Maj.-Gen. John Sedgwick (commanding the Army of Potomac 6th Corps). The Whitworth rifle bullet hit Sedgwick who was inspecting his troops positions from from the range of a half mile. Impressive. In my opinion sharpshooters missions are higly expected for this mod.

Maj.-Gen. John F. Reynolds - commander of the 1st Corps of Army of the Potomoas is another example of high-ranking officer killed during Civil War by sharpshooter.

However it wasn't common for a Civil War sharpshooter to kill a general. Sharpshooters, used on flanks, hidden on trees were supposed to take more acitve fighters on enemy side. But of course killing of line-officer (col. and below) definiately would couse a major disturbance within enemy ranks.

Merry Christmas to everybody in this topic

Hey everyone,

Well, today I've finished the anim.pbo for the Civil War Mod. The safe stand, safe walk, safe run, standing, firing, crouching, and reloading area all changed. Also, the whole, I mean whole entire prone animations have been revamped for the units to be standing, there are still a few bugs I have to sort out, mainly some more prone animations I have to revamp. You guys should defenitaly like this, they will be using a mod folder like FDF and whatnot, so you don't have to replace the anim.pbo in your Res/Dta.

The way you install one is like this:

It will come in a zip with a folder called CWMOD(or other), all you have to do is unzip that folder into your Operation Flashpoing directory, then create a shortcut of OFP Resistance to say your desktop and rename it CWMOD so you know what it is. Then you right click and go to properties on that shortcut and find the init line, something like "C:\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE" and on that line you should add -mod=CWMOD(or the name of the folder). So it should look like this:

"C:\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE -mod=CWMOD"

That -mod= line looks for a folder called CWMOD in your Operation Flashpoing directory, now I'm not sure that this is what the folder will be called, but whatever it is, it has to be the same as in the init line. This will include all addons for the Civil War mod and all other files like the anim.pbo.

Wilco

Well...

It is Christmas after all  xmas_o.gif

anims.jpg

Wilco delivered like he promised and with his contribution home there is nothing in our way anymore. Some finishing touches  being done, some smoothing of the anims still, some texture details on units, and compiling a readme...

It'll just take a day or two now to set up the download section of the page and such technical details, hope nothing goes wrong there...but I think you all should be able to play with the mod by monday, tuesday latest.

But, with combined effort, loads of blood, sweat and tears, it looks like this mod is finally done!

For safety's sake we'll call it a beta release now...cause bugs are sure to surface...but it will be fully playable already.

OMFG!!!! this is more than i could have hoped for... wow you guys are amazing, i will never play another mod again... Thank you for such a great christmas...

-Josh

Great news! Awesome animations. That's exactly what I dreamed of!!

Thanks to the whole ACW gang!

oh boy, two more days, hows bout some pics of some good ol' southern boys skewerin them some yanks... oh i cant wait, ive got missions made, all i need is to replace the men and arty with civil war ones and ill be jizzin myself for months to come, till VMI cadets, then ill just hang myself because nothing could make my little life better and there would be no point to living afterwards cause nothing would equal that... yay

LOL

Dammit...If I knew this was gonna make y'all so happy I'd rush people much more much earlier...

It's only now...just before release that everyone is offering help...before it was moving at a very slow pace for months...

Here's some screenies:

Yankees prepare to defend the Peach orchard:

CWBatt1.jpg

Rebels appear:

CWBatt2.jpg

Rebels advancing:

CWBatt3.jpg

Ready to fire:

CWBatt5.jpg

Fire!:

CWBatt4.jpg

Battle line...Fire!:

CWBatt6.jpg

Yeah that Screenis rock the House,but we want the Mod released xD

I'm sure you do.

So do I.

But I'm working 8 hours a day these days to get everything done. Working on Christmas...I'll end up in hell for this. deville.gif

Besides..."Ask not what your mod-makers can do for you, but what you can do for your mod-makers!"

(now I mustn't go to Dallas for a while...)

you'll end up in OFP heaven for this biggrin_o.gif

ok seriously good job and i hope it will be released before 2nd January 2005 because then i have to go to the camp for 5 days tounge_o.gif

I'll be happy to get it... Whenever you release it!

We've waited months, a few more days won't matter. I'm just hoping you're having fun with it, and that it's a labor of love. It'll be a better outcome if it is!

Don't get burned out. Your screenshots whet our appetite greatly, but we'll take it when you're ready. I'll bet whenever it IS, though, it'll be a great new day for Operation Flashpoint. You and your crew offer something new and unique!

It'll breath some life into the Napoleonic mods, too! And, maybe, some American Revolution units... unclesam.gif

i hope it will be released before 2nd January 2005

I wouldn't mind having it released on that very day as it's my birthday smile_o.gif

Please guys... try to release it sometime today, that way I'd have a chance of playing it before I head out on a road trip tomorrow. We've been waiting so long for this great work, it just looks so awesome. And Wilco did a great job on those animations!

Good work fellas...real good work! xmas_o.gif

Release it or if it's not finished release a beta.It has been quiet whole christmas and i'm checking formus in every 30 minutes to see some new news about OFP.

did this sounded crazy enough?

LOL

Dammit...If I knew this was gonna make y'all so happy I'd rush people much more much earlier...

It's only now...just before release that everyone is offering help...before it was moving at a very slow pace for months...

Here's some screenies:

Yankees prepare to defend the Peach orchard:

[ig]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt1.jpg[/img]

Rebels appear:

[ig]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt2.jpg[/img]

Rebels advancing:

[ig]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt3.jpg[/img]

Ready to fire:

[mg]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt5.jpg[/img]

Fire!:

[ig]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt4.jpg[/img]

Battle line...Fire!:

[ig]http://www.petrov-petrov.si/~triglav/CW/CWBatt6.jpg[/img]

Glad to see my animations looking so damn...good biggrin_o.gif

I'm happy I could help you guys out, animations make that mod so much more fun to play.

Yep, I'm checking like every other hour! This mod is quite a gem! Especially with those models, the new anims, and effects + bayonets, I believe this is going to be one hell of a fun time.

In other words, how soon? crazy_o.gifsmile_o.gif