Sign in to follow this  
sotku

Participate in a modding study

Hello OFP modders,

We are currently conducting a research study of user-created game content (or "modding") at the Game Research Lab at University of Tampere, Finland. One of the games we've chosen for closer inspection is Operation Flashpoint.

As a part of our study we are now inviting OFP modders to participate in a short email interview. If you have created custom content (skins, models, map add-ons, code, mods etc.) or editing tools for Operation flashpoint, and would be interested in sharing your thoughts about your hobby and experiences in the OFP modding community, please contact me at olli.sotamaa@uta.fi. I will send you a set of questions, which you can then answer in your own time as briefly or extensively as you wish.

Once I’ve received and gone through a reasonable amount of answers, I will present some general findings here on the forum. Hopefully they will spur some interesting discussions.

All interviews will naturally be treated anonymously and no personal information (e.g. email addresses) will be released to third parties. Feel free to contact me for any additional queries. You can also find more information about our lab and the research projects from the web site linked below.

I'd personally like to express my sincere thanks beforehand to all participants, and a special thanks to placebo for his favourable attitude to our research.

Best regards,

Olli Sotamaa, Researcher

olli.sotamaa@uta.fi

Game Research Lab

University of Tampere, Finland

http://www.uta.fi/hyper/gamelab/

Great idea,sotku! Just sent an e-mail with questionaire request, and suggest this to any mod-maker around! smile_o.gif

My sincere thanks to everyone who's expressed interest in our research so far. We've already received a significant amount of requests and even the first answers but could still handle some more. So, don't hezitate to contact me any time.

And special thanks to Hellfish6 for pinning the thread.

Got that right, raedor. tounge_o.gif

A couple of questions got mixed up somewhere on the way. Fortunately you guys seem to get the idea anyway.

?(halflife == ofp): goto "grrrr"

exit

#grrrr

_pos = getpos (speaker halflife)

_power = "B61Nuke"

_tempobj1 = _power camcreate _pos

exit

tounge_o.gif

?(halflife == ofp): goto "grrrr"

exit

#grrrr

_pos = getpos (speaker halflife)

_power = "B61Nuke"

_tempobj1 = _power camcreate _pos

exit

tounge_o.gif

true. ghostface.gif

Damn, if I was smart, I would have chosen the OFP community for my cultural anthropology masters thesis.   LOL!

Do addon editors count in this study? (in other words newbies like me who just edit other people's addons to create new addons but who have little talent of our own.  LOL!)  Also what about mission makers?  Mission makers are an essential part of OFP mods but we never get much respect.  

sad_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Just a suggestion for Sotku: When you will have the results, it would be nice to see some comparison of OFP scene to CS or any other modding community.

I think this is a splendid idea and hope that everyone in the community will support it as much as possible, curiosity factor aside I think there is potential here for the results to perhaps benefit the community smile_o.gif

Obviously if there is a way to either include mission editing or create something similar looking at mission editing it would be good because as most people know that's an area in the community that has decreased massively.

Creating a website with this interview would be very helpful. I tried to apply via email, but all my messages were returned with "reciepent unknown" reply.

The address he provided has a period at the end of it. Remove it and it should go through.

Just a suggestion for Sotku: When you will have the results, it would be nice to see some comparison of OFP scene to CS or any other modding community.

i second that

Half life is gey. Never even influenced me. Ill take that here test

GREATDANE I do not feel that the sexuality of another piece of software is strictly relevant to this specific thread.

I dont think "gey" has anything to do with sexuality tounge_o.gif

I would like to see a comparison with the CS community. I would have to have my leet-English dictionary by my side so i could understand, but...... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I dont think "gey" has anything to do with sexuality

No, what he was trying to say is that Half Life is a happy piece of software tounge_o.gif .

Hi guys,

first of all I must thank the OFP modder community for an extremely positive response to our research. We've already received detailed and profound answers from over twenty OFP modders and we're still expecting a few more already promised contributions to arrive.

The process of going through the interviews has already begun but it will naturally still take a while. At the moment we're generating some additional questions. I could probably post a couple of generic questions to the forum. This way also the ones who have not participated in the first round are still able to express their thoughts and opinions.

Some of the interviewees will receive more detailed questions via mail. The participant will only be asked additional questions if something in his/her initial interview prompts further exploration. This decision process can be quite random (e.g. if two people have touched upon the same issue), so I hope that no one takes it as any kind of judgement on the value of their initial interview answers, let alone their work/role in the OFP community.

When it comes to presenting some early results, I'm still considering the suitable means. I'm not actually focusing so much on the comparison between OFP and other games but can obviously sketch some characteristics. This will still take a couple of days, so please be patient. wink_o.gif

- olli