Sign in to follow this  
MrZig

Shau valley island!

I'd say "it depends" jagernutt. Some areas of the island work good and sometimes excellent with my 1.5, but others are a complete drag. But after some setup tweaking, you can get it to work good.

I just stay out of the bigger grass fields. There are other smaller ones, and they work good, but there are also a couple really big ones.

very nice map.good texture.that take long time.

if you want new idea about making new map.[baghdad.map]

will be good idea for you crazy_o.gif

i hoope they get out of there soon

nice looking island, well laid out smile_o.gif

this is a great island, you can tell its based on a real landscape, rather than the horrible spikey mountains of a lot of other maps.

I also get large areas of the island untextured. This is because of the high res texture pack, that a lot of people run now adays, any chance you could look into making it work for those of us using the highres textures?

Such a same this island needs so many dependancies.. Although Ive got the addons required Im caught between new mod stuff coming out and its nam pack going to make room for it.. I hope flashpoint2 comes out with a island editor that incorporates the addons so all thats need is the island.. Or is that simply asking permission and binarizing.

Quote[/b] ]...Total 200mb (not counting the .pbo for Ashau itself ).

I blame this on those addonmakers who refuse to share what they make.

That absolutely ridiculous file size could be avoided in my opinion if addonmakers would stop thinking with their e-penis and learn to share for the good of the community.

This island looks like it'd be well beyond the capabilities of my PC.

I considered buying a new pc. One of those opteron do-hickies.

Then I realised. I'd be paying a couple thousand dollars to play a fucking ofp map? I don't really play PC games anymore these days, OFP was pretty much the only one I did play.

I've got better things to spend my money on.

Looks nice but what with certain happenings in the addon community and the overall focus on high detail addons. I've more or less pushed ofp aside.

I really like this island and the fact that some of the dirtroads go through the forests. Great and very realistic. I hope the creator will add more FSB's and add the vietnam tower (recntly released) to his map. Overall this looks very promising. I would only ask for more forests.

Hi Baphomet,

Read further down the thread - you can run it with just 98.4mb all in. Probably the optimal solution via OFP Launcher is to run Sebnampack plus a mod folder containing A Shau with the seb_Ilo.pbo and BAS_O.pbo copied in to it.

Runs fine on my XP2100/512mb RAM (Viewdistance 1000m). I just had the most fantastic firefight with three Marine rifle teams fighting down from the hills to the village at Ia80, with DsHK's and Mortars around the Rice Paddies and Cobras in support. The steep hills and woods are really cool to fight in, and you get great angles down into the fields!

* May I suggest using the BIS "rocky ground" (Nogova) textures here and there on the really steep areas? Say where the forest gives way to single-canopy scrub on a hillside, you could have the rock ground texture with those long grass clumps grouped together with trees so it looks like there's growth in little patches (Eg. look at Gf82 and Hf84) . A lot of mountain woods are like that - in the North of England at least  biggrin_o.gif

* I think some of the Nogova mountain/desert textures would look good at certain points of the river as well. Say on the steep sides at Bg21 and Ce21 you could use the grey rock texture, maybe with some rocks in the water to simulate upstream rapids. Then as you move South and downstream use some of the desert textures on the river banks to smooth the transition to Sebnam red dust banks as the river slows and widens?

* About those rocks around the lowlands (Eg. Fb74). I wonder if the Nogova desert rocks might go better with the red dust textures on nearby bases? You could then use the grey rocks as you move up into the mountains.

* The area around Ia80 is really nice and feels lush. Anything you can do to accentuate the lushness would be great eg. dappling the bright green/mid green textures together, grouping those tiny bright palms at the river's edge, etc.

I love the running water sound in the rice paddies here. I'd take the Swamp sound away from the forests and use it only in lush riverside spots like this, along with the Frogs, Frog and Crickets 1, 3 and 4 sounds. The BIS Singing Bird can also sound appropriate used sparingly at the forest edges and around villages. Songbirds like that can be found all around the world, and it adds a bit more sonic variety. Try a dawn SpecOp raid here with all those sounds and Tonal Mist over the fields - brings a tear to the eye  biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Ps. Here are some great roars & growls. It'd be great if a few triggers could be hard coded on the map so you have a chance of hearing Tigers at night:

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Lion01.wav

For birds, here's a list of Vietnam birds and a site where you can download their sounds. You could use them to expand the ambient soundset a little:

http://www.blakup.demon.nl/birds/vietlist.html

http://www.junglewalk.com/sound/Bird-sounds.asp

...Ah, Night-Herons, Bitterns and Fish-Owls by the water, Indian Nightjars in the scrub, Bay Owls and Tigers in the jungle - you're there!

That absolutely ridiculous file size could be avoided in my opinion if addonmakers would stop thinking with their e-penis and learn to share for the good of the community.

Ask the author if he would like to depbo all the pbos he got the work from, repath and edit all the p3ds, config them, repbo, test, etc.

I doubt it highly. You'd still end up with a pbo as big as the separate required pbos.

Ask the author if he would like to depbo all the pbos he got the work from, repath and edit all the p3ds, config them, repbo, test, etc.

I doubt it highly. You'd still end up with a pbo as big as the separate required pbos.

I'd also like to interject here.

Ok, so hypothetically, having the objects that are used from say Tonal, in the download (rather than in the tonal pbos) what happens to the person who allready HAS Tonal, and wants this map? The download then becomes 10, 20 or more meg bigger, with objects that he ALLREADY has...

For the person that has neither (Tonal or A Shau) then it would be an advantage. But for the 1000 or so other people who allready have Tonal or the Nam Pack, and the guys hosting the addons, its a big downside, as it means that they have to host 10, 20 or more megs of DUPLICATED addons... which takes up "valuable" server space, AND would waste countless GB of bandwidth...

Where, I ask you is the sense in that??

[Edit] I'd also like to point out that I am on 56k, and have downloaded multiple betas of Tonal, both versions of the FDF mod, AND the WarGames mod...

I think a lot of the "issues" raised by this are borne out of the "I want it here and NOW!" attitude of many gamers.

Remembering the beer advert (and old proverb) "good things come to those who wait"

[/Edit]

Hi,

you guys complain about 200mb.

Not that i dont understand or feel sorry for the people who cannot their 56ers to a broadband connection. But you guys are in minority now and sorry to say but in my opinion either just sped the 5 hours more on every download or move to a diffrent location where u can get broadband or just drop the thought of downloading it. Think of people not even having a comp, you got more than they do, but still less than most of us.:=)

Thats what i told my father, he is still on a ISDN not much faster than 56k connections. If you are a hardcore gamer its worse the money too.

Please nobody feel offended, cause i know that there is still areas which havent been updated to DSl or cable yet. I am more talking of people saying they dont have enough money.

Good one ya all

The vast majority has 56k, broadband is a pitiful minority. Broadband is limited pretty much to urban areas.

Not like that helps or any thing. Kind of sucks, I wish it was available every where and it was all people had but it most likey never will be.

As an island builder myself -and indeed one who has been in exactly the same situation as you now find yourself- I don't see the point of using the Tonal pack for Nam islands.

I used them. I spent *countless* hours integrating them into Phuoc Tuy Province. I then removed them. All of them.

Why did I do this? Well, there are two main answers and both make a lot of sense. Enough sense for me to throw away some hundreds of hours of work.

Tonal objects in a Nam island issue 1:

They are the wrong colour. These objects were created for the Tonal island exclusively and, as such, have textures to suit that island - and no others. Whilst the palm trees might be the right shape, etc, they are the wrong shade of green! If you were to use Tonal objects only, sure, then it would be right - but mixing Ilo and Sebnam objects with them ruins the "unified" texture scheme that any island should have.

I ended up opting for Ilo objects only combined with Resistance ground textures on the four Nam islands I am always working on: Meekong, PTP, MDSZ and Long Son.

This is the main reason why I decided to remove the Tonal objects from Phuoc Tuy Province.

Tonal objects in a Nam island issue 2:

You can only use some of the objects in that pack for Vietnam - most of them are too African. What I mean by this is that they have an obviously African and not Asian "feel". The useable objects, like some houses, bushes, forests and palms only make up a fraction of the Tonal object pack.

Why make people download the entire Tonal pack when you are only using a small portion of what is on offer there? I'm sure you can find equivalent objects in either the sebnam or ilo objects pack which the obvious exception of the buildings and bridges.

I would be happy to send anyone involved with making Nam islands/addons or mods a link to all current versions of the Hell's Circus Vietnam islands. Please send me an email if you are interested in having a look at the current islands. Required addons are Ebud's Ilo Final and also the Resistance expansion pack for OFP.

I can be found in #WRPtool on Quakenet in IRC for suggestions, feedback, etc. I'm there pretty much anytime that I'm online.

Para

PS > Your mountains are wicked.