Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Documentary about the wilhelm gustloff

Quote[/b] ]What is the "settler mentality" of people who reached Israel's shores and moved to cities and towns?

I'm talking about the kibbutz movement. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this ideology/identity helped form an identity on a national level.

Quote[/b] ]Due immigrant Norwegians have a "settler mentality"?

Hardly, but then immigrants don't break new land in Norway and establish farms or cluster of farms. And not much in Norway is considered holy. Besides, relatives of norwegians that migrated to US don't have the tendency to stay after their tourist visum have expired tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You mean it was "occupation" and "something else"?

No, you are misunderstanding what I said! I did not say Palestine/Israel (whatever) was occupied. However, to say that no land belonging to palestinians have not been expropriated is somewhat wrong.

Quote[/b] ]What is the "settler mentality" of people who reached Israel's shores and moved to cities and towns?

I'm talking about the kibbutz movement. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this ideology/identity helped form an identity on a national level.

So you're referring to the mentality of Jews returning to their acestorial homeland from a lengthy and torturous exile? Sort of a redemption mentality?

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Due immigrant Norwegians have a "settler mentality"?

Hardly, but then immigrants don't break new land in Norway

Neither do they here for the most part.

Quote[/b] ]and establish farms or cluster of farms.

On whose land were these Kibbutzim and Moshavim established on? Was there total lawlessness? Did the British look the other way? Or was land purchased legally fare and square with proper contractual agreements and givernment land registration?

Quote[/b] ]Besides, relatives of norwegians that migrated to US don't have the tendency to stay after their tourist visum have expired

Were Norwegians you're referring to often chased, hounded and  killed? Did they dream of living somewhere else? Another country they call home?

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]You mean it was "occupation" and "something else"?

No, you are misunderstanding what I said! I did not say Palestine/Israel (whatever) was occupied. However, to say that no land belonging to palestinians have not been expropriated is somewhat wrong.

No land? Maybe some? Israeli land has also been expropriated from Jews. But for the norm, like in any country, there's a central land registry and built up communities are built on either government alloted land or on privately owned property.

How can you claim that they were on their way to Israel at a time when Israel didn't exist? rock.gif

So? Call it Palestine at the time. Who cares?!

LOL  biggrin_o.gif  You obviously do.  Why else would you deliberately keep getting it wrong?

I think it is not soooo wrong to call it is Israel since it was the land that God promised to Abraham and his descendants, it was just occupied teritory!  smile_o.gif

Then, according to your thinking, it is not soooo wrong to refer to Jordan as Israel either?   crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]and then Israel became an independant country! Happy End!

Happy? For who?

I think this discussion belongs in the mid-east thread. tounge_o.gif

Then, according to your thinking, it is not soooo wrong to refer to Jordan as Israel either?crazy_o.gif

Technically, that would be correct but in practical usuage, whenever a Jew in the last 2000 years said he would be travelling to Israel, it did not include a stopover in Amman, if any.

So, amazingly, even though the land of Israel in the Bible encompasses areas east of the Jordan river, the normal use of the term Israel today does not refer to Jordan.

Incidentally, one of the main reasons for this was because when Jews returned back from Babylonian exile and built the second temple, the east boundary, in relevance to both population and Jewish law, was indeed the Jordan river.

And that's the way it is. smile_o.gif

And what was wrong with my use of the name Palestine? I thought it would make you happy?

And what was wrong with my use of the name Palestine? I thought it would make you happy?

Oh, but it did make me happy.  In fact, here's a second big smilie to add to the first one I posted => biggrin_o.gif

Oh, but it did make me happy.  In fact, here's a second big smilie to add to the first one I posted => biggrin_o.gif

You're easy to please.

That was a depressing way to end my evening. sad_o.gif

That was not my intention, sorry.

Btw it is 22:45 here in Hannover. Will have a tea and listen to Peter Frampton's "Premonition" (just bought the record last weekend) before visiting bed...

Good night in advance

Quote[/b] ]So you're referring to the mentality of Jews returning to their acestorial homeland from a lengthy and torturous exile? Sort of a redemption mentality?

You seem to know the answer yourself:

Quote[/b] ]Were jews you're referring to often chased, hounded and killed? Did they dream of living somewhere else? Another country they call home? (allthough diaspora doesn't nessecarily imply persecution)

--

Quote[/b] ]Neither do they here for the most part.

But it was widespread in the late fourties and fifties.

Quote[/b] ]On whose land were these Kibbutzim and Moshavim established on? Was there total lawlessness? Did the British look the other way? Or was land purchased legally fare and square with proper contractual agreements and givernment land registration?

Look Avon, You are suggesting I have hidden motives or arguments! I did not say anything about land and ownership. And I'm very aware of the fact that much of the land was legally bought. I'm also aware of the fact that the british did what they could to prevent jews from entering Israel and also that they did everything they could to obstruct purchase of land. Some of this is described pretty good in "Exodus" .

Quote[/b] ]No land? Maybe some? Israeli land has also been expropriated from Jews. But for the norm, like in any country, there's a central land registry and built up communities are built on either government alloted land or on privately owned property.

You are right, but my point is that I support the view that there must be a jewish Israel - but also that the palestinians must be given land to establish a nation of their own.

Akira please don't break the forum, we tend to frown on that kind of thing wink_o.gif

No land? Maybe some? Israeli land has also been expropriated from Jews. But for the norm, like in any country, there's a central land registry and built up communities are built on either government alloted land or on privately owned property.

Maybe some?  LOL... Actually around 94% of what became the state of Israel was not purchased legally.

But then, why should you have to purchase any of it when it was all promised to you by God?

Maybe some?  LOL... Actually around 94% of what became the state of Israel was not purchased legally.

But then, why should you have to purchase any of it when it was all promised to you by God?

That's true. smile_o.gif edit: The promise by God part. The rest is baloney.

But we didn't listen to God and settled for UN Resolution 181, you know, the Oil For Bribes conglomerate, with offices in NY and Geneva.

Time for my cup of morning Kofi.

In other words, why buy the other 94% legally when it's cheaper to buy a UN resolution? biggrin_o.gif

In other words, why buy the other 94% legally when it's cheaper to buy a UN resolution?   biggrin_o.gif

Whatever.

Get some cops in here... someone up'ed and hijacked the thread!

Get some cops in here... someone up'ed and hijacked the thread!

Just the right thing to keep Avon on track biggrin_o.gif

Avon race slicks:

slick_l.jpg

While offcourse the loss of the people aboard the wilhelm gustlof was sad lets also remember that german u boat wolfpacks werent to squeemish about attacking passengership and defenceless freighters in the northern atlantic. The men of the merchant navy that gave their lives doing their job deserve allot of credit for keeping britain going during the dark days in the beginning of the war. War is not a good thing and civillians also suffer but i think it would be wrong to villify the commander of the russian submarine. He was doing his job, all german vessels on the high sea were fair game just as the germans percieved all allied ships on the high sea regardless of their cargo as a fair target.

Whats interesting is there are many stories from both sides of U-Boats giving the crew time to leave the ship before sinking it. Then the US and Britian started puttin' guns on the merchants. That's when true unrestricted warfare started.

But as I said the story of the Exodus is a one that needs to be told.

]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000GVF7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

lol!

EDIT: Removed tags per Avon's so gracious response tounge_o.gif

Akira you should perhaps try to fix the quote tags.. somethings with those messes up the whole thread

I tire of messing with tags! To hell with the tags! lol

tounge_o.gif