Sign in to follow this  
BBSmith

Headphone jack to usb?

I would like to know if they make Headphone port converters.

I think my laptop has 3.5mm jacks. But the thing is, I want to beable to hear flashpoint via headphones OR Connect speakers into my computer using the same port (They have the same connection cable) I was just wondering if there is some kind of adapter that I could use inplace of using the 3 Ports on the back of my computer (Mic, Headphone/speaker, and that other port).

The thing is, I move around alot and the headphone/microphone ports have been stripped inside of my laptop and cost 1,300 to fix since everything is connected to the motherboard. (Its an alienware by the way and all of their support guys SUCK )

Thanks! crazy_o.gif

(Its an alienware by the way and all of their support guys SUCK )

I can vouch for this - DON"T BUY ALIENWARE LAPTOPS. IF something goes wrong and you have to ship it back, you won't see it for a loooooooong time.

As for your question, I"ve seen headphones that plug into a USB port. They came with Dragon Naturally speaking (voice recognition) software. I don't know about USB to heaphone coverters though.

Alternatively you could just use a Y-Adapter, looking something like this:

4202463s.gif

I actually have a solid (no cable) version of it.

Edit: Ups, just noticed the last part of your post. So my solution will not help you if you can't access the audio port...

The adapter exists but I don't know if they are sold separately.

Here's a picture of a headset from Sennheiser.

shpc135usb.jpg

I can vouch for this - DON"T BUY ALIENWARE LAPTOPS. IF something goes wrong and you have to ship it back, you won't see it for a loooooooong time.

How long was long? What was wrong with it? Are other Alienware customers having the same gripes?

Hi i have a question as well.

I have two separate 2.1 "systems" 2 * (2 speakers + 1 subwoofer)

Is there any way that i could use all of them at the same time? eg 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer? I tried plugging both systems to my old computer (onboard sound) but only one of them would work. I don't know if this is possible at all, so it may sound stupid. Could it work on the other comp. with a audigy 2 card or is it just a matter of choosing the right options in XP?

smile_o.gif

It's possible if you have a 4.1 amplifier or soundcard you can hang the speakers on it.

Outside your computer you need to have an amplifier or a splitter (splitter sound sucks wink_o.gif )

But I don't know how to use inside your computer, maybe you can use 2 soundcards wink_o.gif

Okay smile_o.gif

What don't understand is why the soundcards has so many outputs for speakers and still only one works.

How long was long? What was wrong with it? Are other Alienware customers having the same gripes?

I've heard some horror stories specifically about Alienware, they seem to have a bad reputation in many forums.

What don't understand is why the soundcards has so many outputs for speakers and still only one works.

On 2.1 soundcards you have outputs 1 line-out 1 line-in and 1 microphone.

Line-out is for your 2.1 sound output

I don't know exactly what Line-in is but I need it to get sound on my TV capture card.

And you probably know what the microphone is for wink_o.gif

On the Audigy-boards you got

[*]line-out 1

[*]line-out 2

[*]mic-in

[*]line-in

[*]coax-out (digital)

Line-out 1 is stereo front, line-out 2 is stereo rear. You use these two if you want 4.0 surround (also known as 4-point surround).

I assume I don't need to explain mic-in tounge_o.gif

Line-in is for connecting external audio-sources like a tuner, cd-player, cassette-player and most other audio-sources except a LP-player (too strong signal). Connect a LP-player and you most likely will blow the input on your soundcard.

Coax is the output you want to use if you want DD5.1 or other digital sound-configurations (DD/DTS 5.1,6.1 etc).

Quote[/b] ]I have two separate 2.1 "systems" 2 * (2 speakers + 1 subwoofer)

If they both got their own mini-jack then yes, you can use them as 4.0 surround on a Live/Audigy card.

except a LP-player (too strong signal). Connect a LP-player and you most likely will blow the input on your soundcard.

Damm, I got an old LP of the Green Hornet, and some other stuff I'd love to burn to CD.

A friend of mine burned all his dad's lp's to cd so it is possible, I tought he had a converter so don't worry you only have to buy a converter wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]On 2.1 soundcards you have outputs 1 line-out 1 line-in and 1 microphone.

Line-out is for your 2.1 sound output

I don't know exactly what Line-in is but I need it to get sound on my TV capture card.

And you probably know what the microphone is for  

Ok, this computer has three ports and i ralized that the other port (that i assumed was for speakers as well) didn't work. So it is probably one of those Line-in ports like you said. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]On the Audigy-boards you got

line-out 1

line-out 2

mic-in

line-in

coax-out (digital)

Line-out 1 is stereo front, line-out 2 is stereo rear. You use these two if you want 4.0 surround (also known as 4-point surround).

I assume I don't need to explain mic-in  

Line-in is for connecting external audio-sources like a tuner, cd-player, cassette-player and most other audio-sources except a LP-player (too strong signal). Connect a LP-player and you most likely will blow the input on your soundcard.

Coax is the output you want to use if you want DD5.1 or other digital sound-configurations (DD/DTS 5.1,6.1 etc).

Actually, the audigy has six regular ports + one that looks like an firewire port.

I can't try the other computer right now because there's something fishy with the video card. But there is hope that both speakers could work? I mean i don't need more speakers but it would be a shame to not use them as both are new.

Actually, the audigy has six regular ports + one that looks like an firewire port.

Prolly an additional line-out. But it does'nt matter.

If you have one mini-jack from each of the speaker-sets you can connect them to get full 4.0 surround.

Quote[/b] ]A friend of mine burned all his dad's lp's to cd so it is possible, I tought he had a converter so don't worry you only have to buy a converter

Yup, should'nt be expensive. It's pretyt much only a resistor. The audio-signal from an LP-player is around 200mV while cd-players, tuners, cassette-players etc has an output signal around 20mV (or was it 2mV?).

Pretty selfexplanatory what will happen with the input on the soundcard in the long run.

So you think the guy at the radio shack can help me? Or will he just say "no need to get a converter, just plug it straight to the sound card" biggrin_o.gif

I wouldn't mess with it myself, buy a converter it will save you a lot off money.

Converter: $20-30

Soundcard: $30-60

complete computer: $500-1600

Tried a lot of times messing with my computer myself, nothing good came of it

tounge_o.gif

If you have one mini-jack from each of the speaker-sets you can connect them to get full 4.0 surround.

Quote[/b] ]A friend of mine burned all his dad's lp's to cd so it is possible, I tought he had a converter so don't worry you only have to buy a converter

Yup, should'nt be expensive. It's pretyt much only a resistor. The audio-signal from an LP-player is around 200mV while cd-players, tuners, cassette-players etc has an output signal around 20mV (or was it 2mV?).

Pretty selfexplanatory what will happen with the input on the soundcard in the long run.

Hi im not sure what you mean with mini-jack but this is how they work.

"Creative"

Both speakers go to the subwoofer (and get their power from there) then one cord from the subwoofer goes to the sound card

"Fujitsu"

the subwoofer and the left speaker are both connected to the main speaker, and it goes from there to the computer (they are powered by the subwoofer as well)

So i don't know.  smile_o.gif

Hi im not sure what you mean with mini-jack but this is how they work.

"Creative"

Both speakers go to the subwoofer (and get their power from there) then one cord from the subwoofer goes to the sound card

"Fujitsu"

the subwoofer and the left speaker are both connected to the main speaker, and it goes from there to the computer (they are powered by the subwoofer as well)

So i don't know.  smile_o.gif

I don't think it will work at least not in 4.1 sound, since you need all the speakers to be connected directly to your soundcard or amplifier.

Mini-jack plugs are small plugs that fit the back of your soundcard wink_o.gif

We bought five Alienware Laptops here at work. We've had to send back two of them so far. One had a flickering screen, the other's little led eyes didn't work. Both of them took three weeks to send in and get back. I could understand maybe ten days at most, but three weeks was just too much. Now mine has audio problems. The left audio channel crackles and cuts out all the time. After tons of troubleshooting, I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely a hardware problem, but since it's a non essential (for work puposes at least crazy_o.gif ) part of the computer I'm holding back on sending it in. I may as well see what else might goes wrong with it anyway before I send it. crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

The sad part is, the laptops absolutely kick ass, performance-wise, that is when they work.

Alienware's forums (I think only customers are allowed to access them) are sprinkled with similar complaints by other customers.

I don't think it will work at least not in 4.1 sound, since you need all the speakers to be connected directly to your soundcard or amplifier.

What people call 4.1 is in fact 4.0

There is no discrete subwoofer-channel.

4-point-surround is connected that way (2xminijacks).

4-point is analogue, not digital. 1 stereo channel for front and one for rear. Simple as that smile_o.gif

The way speedy would have to adjust fade (balance between front and rear) would be to adjust the master-volume for either his front-set or rear-set instead of a fade-knob on some console (achieves exact same result).

Hey, is that Y-Adapter something I could convert to USB?

Is the Y-Adapter the audio plug that you plug into the back of TV's (Where you plug the Red, White, Yellow RCA Cables).

Where did you find that Adaptor? I want to find it, hell I'dbuy those cheap headphones and just use them for the adaptor, I love my leather noise reduction headphones.

But for Alienware, I have sent the computer in for:

1. The Number 7 key detached itself and the clips that hold it in place fell off.

2. When the laptop was NOT plugged in, it froze within 3 minutes (Even when using a non-cpu demanding software [i.E. Notepad])

3. 5-6 Games did not work with the ATI mobile video card 9000m and all attempted AGP settings, Virtual memory settings, graphics options, trobleshooting, calling the game manuafactururs, and said theres nothing I could do (Basically).

4. The Ports in the back of the Computer, are stripped, or worn, and I cannot Clip the Headphones or microphone in the computer without the cord just to fall out again, (Dosn't clip in).

5. Windows Media player gave me a "GET IMUS" error, and after uninstall and reinstall (Version 9) I could no longer burn Audio CD's since it used WMP to play them by default, nore play media files at all for that matter. Aleinware said i have to re-format, screw that, downloaded 3rd party software all the way!

6. I got a virus in my computer, looked it up with my other computer, saw it was a

W32.Tuoba.Trojan (Its not the Virus Download, lol, check the URL its Symantec Norton Anti Virus's Info on the virus) and after running an Auto-Update, Full System Scan, no virus was found, I know it was the virus because of the IP address that showed in 10 new favorites that loaded into my favorites, I noted the IP address, went to my other computer, found info on the virus. Called alienware, they said I had to re-format and START OVER AGAIN! I look at Norton's site, they have a manual uninstall, lmao! But after trying to remove this virus it remained in my computer giving me a My accout had been suspendid due to a TOB Violation, every time using the internet. And just now I typed in a site that was blocked and it worked, just a Big red banner stating a "Freenshost" at the beginning of the URL and a large Horizontal banner stating this website on every website i try to access, I cant get it to go away, if i click on it im sure not to beable to use the internet again on this laptop. (Whew NEXT!

7. RAM was taken out from my computer, tried refitting the ram to see if it was loose from shipping, nope, so now i have 512ram instead of 1024 (They gave me only 1022 and WMP High Definition dont work because i need the exact 1024), I think have a solution already for this, (Switched RAM Sticks and it worked).

8. THEY KEEP the laptop over a month, not even during holiday season! 1-2 days for them to get it, and 1-2 day to get it back (They still have 26+ days to work on it).

--------------------------------------

But Number 6 is the bring problem lol.

Back to headphones, if you find perhaps a seller for a Adaptor lemme know. Im not sayin go out on the limb, just if you stomp accross it one day, lol, I'd appreaciate it.

But If this Y-Adaptor, could be converter to a headphone jack, i dont mind running multiple converters to a USB, as long as I can get it to that.  biggrin_o.gif

~ Victor

We bought five Alienware Laptops here at work. We've had to send back two of them so far. One had a flickering screen, the other's little led eyes didn't work. Both of them took three weeks to send in and get back. I could understand maybe ten days at most, but three weeks was just too much.  Now mine has audio problems.

Thanks.

/avon scratches alienware off potential supplier list

Hey, is that Y-Adapter something I could convert to USB?

Is the Y-Adapter the audio plug that you plug into the back of TV's (Where you plug the Red, White, Yellow RCA Cables).

Where did you find that Adaptor? I want to find it, hell I'dbuy those cheap headphones and just use them for the adaptor, I love my leather noise reduction headphones.

4. The Ports in the back of the Computer, are stripped, or worn, and I cannot Clip the Headphones or microphone in the computer without the cord just to fall out again, (Dosn't clip in).

The Y-Adapter is just used to plug two systems (e.g. Headphones/Desktop speakers), where there is only one signal output. So, if you find a USB-to-1.4"/3.5mm Adapter, you can use the Y-Adapter to connect Headphones and Desktop speakers to your system at the same time.

Usually, you would connect the Y-Adapter dircetly to the Audio-Port, but according to 4., that's not possible for you.

RCA-Cables use different connectors and are not compatible with the standard Audio port.

You can find various adaptors here:

as already mention they are available in various forms, as cable solution or in a small solid form.

You could actually try to somehow glue the small version just to your case - no more USB-conversion needed  wink_o.gif  It would stick out and look ugly, but you won't find a cheaper solution  smile_o.gif

Edit: Fixed link to solid/molded Adaptor. (previously linked the same product twice...)