Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC_Euro 25km Terrain + Campaign

PMC_Euro is project name for 25km sized terrain and 34 mission campaign.

PMC_Euro_map2-small.jpg

1200x1200 res image

1200x1200 res image with town names

The island has now cities, roads and forests placed, everything else is missing like vegetation objects. All the campaign missions are done, but some of them only have minimal briefing (meaning no background story, only the essentials to know what to do) and no cutscenes.

Island is european style greenish place. I feel like its (going to be) somewhere between Everon and Nogova in its feel.

I need help in terms of feedback and suggestions. I'll do all the work, if someone just points me to the right direction.

1) Name for the island.

2) The island most likely needs more cities/populated areas and roads, also more forests might be a good idea.

3) Campaign needs more background story and briefing text to create the War feeling.

4) Campaign needs dates and times for the missions.

5) Names/faces for the campaign characters

6) Possibly few "special" missions like clishe rescue downed helicopter etc.

This is the list of missions and extremely brief commentary of what happens in them. Format is number - mission name and then description of events.

PMC Euro Campaign Plan

01 - Leisure

US Army guys are chilling on Vaals with Hummer. Russians invade and guys are

called back to base only armed with sidearms. When they get to the base, they

get M16's and defend off the first wave of russians from Mi-17 HIND insertion.

02 - Lizard Tooth

US Army guys are now on camo BDU's and armed to the teeth, they defend of more

massive RUssian attack on the army base.

02a - Cutscene 1

cutscene for US Army guys calling to help from HQ.

03 - Ocean Breeze

NAVY SEALs penetrate from the beach into the castle ruins at mountain, meet army

squad and then bring them safely into a beach extraction location.

04 - Black Shepherd

SEALs conduct reconnaissance at Velp and Vaals cities.

05 - Ninjas Song

SEALs take out two command & communication sites and anti air compound.

06 - Blue Eyes

SEALs start from H8 beach, proceed to take out enemy AAA at I8 and J8 hilltops.

07 - Knight Blade

Rangers get helo inserted to E8, proceed north to attack tank refuel site at F7 road.

Talk to farmers at E6 for intel. Helo extraction after talking to farmers.

08 - Hornet Spike

Rangers start LSD sea, helo insert SW of target which is assault army base at L3.

Reinforcements of regular Army guys arrive by UH-60L helo insertions.

09 - Hungry Bear

Rangers start at base, assault supply convoy at Rozenburg.

10 - Ghost Cross

Rangers start army base 1 and assault army base 2.

11 - Shiny Black

Army guys assault Vaals, ammo depot, field HQ and acquoy.

12 - Ocean Gate

US Army guys start from army base 2, assault Alverna sea port.

13 - Hawk Nest

Army guys clear Dearsum, assault airbase and capture it.

14 - Silver String

Army guys assault tubbergen, fuel depot, galder and bridge 1 road block.

15 - Red Anger

Army guys defend russian assault near tubbergen.

16 - Night Eagle

US Army AirForce AH-64 pilot starts from airbase, assaults group of vehicles in the

road from Beckum to Charlois.

17 - Eagle Point

AH-64 starts from airbase, assault on armored vehicles SE of Maarn.

18 - Mother Eagle

AH-64 starts from airbase, supports ground armored assault on Sint-Annen to Rozenburg.

19 - Eagle Strike

AH-64 starts from airbase, assaults Haelen targets.

20 - Storm Beach

Rangers attack Colmont, outpost (hill), intersection and Fortmond.

21 - Dark Crown

Rangers assault bridge at N5, Wolsum and castle.

22 - Shiny Jewel

M2A2 bradley's start tubbergen, assault farm, house, charlois and hoorn/bridge 3.

23 - Copper Shell

M2A2 bradley's attack farm, pekela, oss and beckum.

24 - Green Sabre

M2A2 bradley's attack colmont, fortmond, kessel and moorsel.

25 - Gold Shield

Army guys attack sittard

26 - Beggar Beach

Army guys attack bergh

27 - Black Bat

SEALs take out SCUDs on ruined town.

28 - Tired Bear

SEALs destroy enemy field HQ at H6 mountain high.

29 - Steel Arrow

Abrams attack houses, farm, maarn and camerig.

30 - Red Blood

Abrams M1A1 tanks attack farm, houses, farm and Marum.

31 - Grey Lions

Abrams M1A1 tanks attack house, farm and Haelen.

32 - Lion Cave

Abrams M1A1 tanks defend against quick counterattack on Haelen.

33 - Night Warrior

Rangers assault Zalne and Boxtel.

34 - Star Response

Army guys start Maarn and assaults Asten capitol.

34a - cutscene 2

War ends.

If you want to help by providing feedback & suggestions and agree that this is piece of crap ALPHA version of the island and campaign, then feel free to download this package below.

Addons used: BAS Delta/Ranger v1.50. MH-60 Blackhawk. JAM2. LSD dock landing ship. CoC Unified Artillery. CoC Mines. etc. The island is configured to require OFP v1.96 ...

Latest on Official PMC_Euro 25km island + campaign topic.

This sounds really cool!  I'll try it and get back to you smile_o.gif

Review (kinda): Ok, I have only looked around the island in mission editor so far and the land is completely empty! There are no bushes or anything. All you have are forests rock.gif. Also, the towns seem to just be a bunch of houses thrown in an area with a road through the middle of them. Sorry if this sounds discouraging, but you did say it was an Alpha release. I suggest adding some bushes and objects around the island, then re-realeasing it smile_o.gif. The island's layout is very promising too.

Big project eh rock.gif .

My opinion after testing the island in the editor is that the island is indeed very big and it will take forever to fill all that terrain with vegetation, houses, objects, small towns and cool details and that when you finish it, it will problably be very laggy. The terrain is very flat and we can see the objects apear outa nowhere, having more hills and valleys helps reduce this efect like on Everon.

I also saw that you used forests from Everon and from Nogova and honestly they dont fit together very well (same for some houses). Personaly i am a bit tired of Nogova, the greenish open fields and lack of dense vegetation and also the layout makes me like Everon tons more but thats just me.

Theres plenty of big Nogova looking islands out there, i think smaller but very detailed islands are more usefull at this time and also sound more fun to build with atention to small details and stuff. I hope my opinion on this wont discourage you from your work and good luck with your project smile_o.gif .

Yeah, as Heatseeker said, the island is too flat. Also, the textures from the nogova forests don't fit in. The ground is a brown color, then suddenly is green again! It will take FOREVER to fill in ground with everything needed.

I also tried the campaign. WHy do you give player M16-HD? It was terribly hard to shoot with HD mags. I beat first mission easy, but 2nd mission is too tough because of the damn HD mags I am given sad_o.gif. I will give you credit in second mission though. There was one point where the enemy (who obviously has HD mags too) was concentrating fire on me when I manned the M2 and there were tons of green tracers firing past me. It was great biggrin_o.gif

looks alrite, cool layout and such, but you do realise, when this is completed, it will have roughly 500,000 objects? maybe ur project is too big? any way to scale it down a bit?

Wow, thank you for releasing this map as it is!

Cause it´s PERFECT for air and air/ground combat!!!

No lag at viewdistance 5000. Great!

This is the "flight simulator" map I allways waited for!

Some questions:

-How many airports are now on the island? How many are planned?

-Will you use mapfacts airport addon? (Please do!)

-Can you release a version like the map is right now with just a few more objects(not much), as a "flight sim island"?

Great, much fun flying with my F5 over the island!

MfG Lee smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Haven't downloaded it yet but the names for the places sound like they are in Belgium / Netherlands (Vaals is a place in the most southern part of the Netherlands) smile_o.gif

Haven't downloaded it yet but the names for the places sound like they are in Belgium / Netherlands (Vaals is a place in the most southern part of the Netherlands) smile_o.gif

yes it does and with that in mind i found a nice name for it

moresnet whitch was a country in that region read more

as feedback

there is far to much open ground with just grass

and the forests don't mix just pick one everon or nogova

(i like nogova better)

also the towns feel very empty, the houses are to far apart ,the arent connected(?) to roads or paths

and just use res buildings they look much better

(this is just what you could improve its great work anyway)

the beta islands in this thread could give you some pointers

(nice towns, nice farmland to fill up empty places and nice mix of forests and open areas)

bloody days mod

islands

I'd just like to raise a point:

All the towns have more than 1 road in and out.

You need to have some towns that are isolated, else they all become the same and theres nowhere to hide those sneaky resistence.

-ZiRo

BDM was planning on a Europe map, but decided that the modelling involved was too great and that there was an immense drain on resources.

Can't touch something of this magnitude, and using BIS buildings... sad_o.gif

I just want to make sure you don;t think I was bashing your project or anything. To me, in your reply

Quote[/b] ]Thats right, as the topic says work in progress, and I clearly stated that its an alpha version. To me alpha is something not even beta yet, like said work in progress, a preview etc. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll change the designation of this "project level" on next release.
you seemed to think I was saying something mean or something rock.gif. Just want you to know I support your project 100%.

I never said there was a town without buildings or roads. I said there are some towns that are just a few buildings (5 or so) with a road through the middle of them wink_o.gif. An example of this is the town in the South...Moorsel I think it's called rock.gif

And BTW, your right! I never have used WRP Tool smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

1.) Do you think it would need a second (or more) airbase where AI cannot land?

2.) Do you really think the airbase addon would be worth it?

3.) What do you think about Agent Smith industrial/port addons?

4.) What about Baracken objects for the army bases and such?

1.) Yes, second Airport is important I think. Maybe one civil and one military airport.

2.) Airport addon is great! Perfect mix, you can use it for civil and/or military airports.

3.) As everything from mapfact, also AGS objects are a "must have"! I like huge industrial area´s on maps. The ppl must somewhere go to work.

4.) Best available, use it!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Do you really think the airbase addon would be worth it?

What do you think about Agent Smith industrial/port addons?

What about Baracken objects for the army bases and such?

A resounding yes to all of the above. Those addons are useless if nobody makes use of them. Look at the popularity of winter Nogojev and Tonal -- those islands are exponentially larger than yours will be in file size even if you do include the Mapfact and AGS statics, yet that hasn't stopped people from using them.

If anything, sticking to the stock BIS stuff will hurt its popularity. The terrain looks good, given, but, and I mean no offense when I say this, it brings nothing new to the table. We have a million other islands out already that have nice terrain, yet get no use because they offer nothing new. Look at Kodiak, for example. That's a great island, but I have yet to see a single mission for it. However, I bet that would be a different story if it had some "personality" infused into it by utilizing things other than the BIS buildings that we've all seen a thousand times over the past three years.

I can only think of one island that uses the Mapfact stuff and two that use AGS stuff. And that's a damned shame.

what i ment was the houses aren't connected to the road there a few meters away from the roads whitch is normal but theirs nothing in between like pavement or a yard or anything like that, maybe this is because its still alpha but its just advice

and the islands i linked where ment as pointers to good set up urban areas and nice finishing, not as a example for the map style

this is all to help your effort not to critize you i support all addon makers for ofp

one major problem with BIS houses is they are more eastern euro type houses.

and I tihnk yu should change the bridges to liek the aduim bridge or some other type of euro bridge..

and yes to mapfact and use to ags..

also the base names change them to something like Camp __

Interesting on this island are the many bridges.

Most interesting firefights are at bridges.

EDIT:

This bridge is very cool:

08-09Bridge.jpg

I don´t care about hundrets of small towns/villages.

Better 2-3 bigger ones and ~5-7 smaller.

I would like to sea huge farmland areas, one big industrial site and a big harbour.

No one needs another nogova.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

I think you should have another airport but make it a decent civilian one, fenced off and easy to protect etc. Mapfact+AGS stuff is a must wink_o.gif

I can only think of one island that uses the Mapfact stuff and two that use AGS stuff. And that's a damned shame.

Expect another island that uses BOTH of them soon biggrin_o.gif

Not a bad island at all smile_o.gif

Obviously pretty bare at the moment ...... but at least that means its quite Low Lag.

Guess it raises the question ........ Big island for campaigns with Low Lag ..... or ...... Big island with realistic detail and high lag rock.gif

Anyway ..... nice work.

Please dont americanize the bases.

Some map makers name the bases "FARP Charlie" or airbases to the effect of "USAFB Truman". Dont do this please, it limits the bases to being used by US troops unless its a really crap mission.

I suggest leaving the bases totally unmarked like on the official islands.

-ZiRo

ziro it would nto be hard to name the bases with out "americanizing" them. heck give them NATO style base names. or just like "Mons Airbase" or some other euro name.

pretty simple.. and still give it an unsided name style.

I really like this island , perfect for massive WW2 tank battles smile_o.gif

( just made a huge armoured battle with some 40 tanks and several infantry squads and I got no lag whatsoever )

It could very well be 1940's Russia with all these opens spaces.

The bridges are also very good, my only criticism is the forest borders, theres a weird texture breakdown there.

And as ppl have already said, mapfact addons are a must tounge_o.gif

Looking forward for an update.