Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC_Euro 25km Terrain + Campaign

It looks so much better smile_o.gif and still no lag whatsoever in my AMD1700+ 512DDR@266

just one bug: bridge at grid 045084 is dislocated to the side off the road in whatever terrain setting i tried.

You added some trees!!! Hip hip, horray! Hehe. Great work mate! Looks much better, this version does.

(...)

I can only think of one island that uses the Mapfact stuff and two that use AGS stuff. And that's a damned shame.

Hmmm, you know, I have seen many more... wink_o.gif

Well, seeing that one of your priorities is no lag, I can tell you that an updated Industrial Pack will be released in 2-3 weeks. All the objects has gone under a lot of optimistions (thx to Leone smile_o.gif ) and have many more LODs so their affect on performance is hugely decreased. Hope this will encourage you to add some factories, etc.

smile_o.gif

BTW. To be honest, I'm so bored of stock BIS objects, that I don't downloads islands using ONLY them anymore.

still great, maybe you should make one complete town(with yard, parks phoneboots ect) and see how people like it

this more a request than advice but could you just use nogovan oak forests

Nice island and huge too. Nice for air combat.

this looks like a great island! And please do add the mapfact airport addon and AGS stuff , very nice to hear that you gonna release a update to your buildings pack agent smith biggrin_o.gif

feels like we got some great stuff to look forward too

Nice update ! biggrin_o.gif

Only a couple of bad textures along the river and roads not quite joining bridges.

Like Acro and other say ............. Nice for Air combat and Tank battles ! Coooooolllll tounge_o.gif

So plz plz plz plz dont lag it up with 1000's of bushes and stuff smile_o.gif

looks like the perfect place to give CoC's unified artillery full release smile_o.gif

I have to agree... I've been having HUGE tanks battles using the wgl mod. Add in quite a few helis and support unit and I really get little lag. PLease try not to add a lot of details or lots of little vegatation. There are so few maps where large scale battles can be held with a long view distance. I'll just keep a backup of this one just in case.

I haven't downloaded the map (yet), so I can judge it just from the maps you posted. Probably I can still make some comments (not neccessarily critics, just things I noticed)...

There seems to be almost no dead-end roads; I guess some/many of the dirt roads to farms are?!

~90% of the coast line have almost immediate (<1km) access to roads - the Dutch always love scenery while roaming around with their caravans  tounge_o.gif

You know that you just cut off the access to the port with the NE bridge? (except its as high as Golden Gate or works like Tower Bridge)  tounge_o.gif

With respect to the discussion about additional vegetation I just want to point out that the smart usage of cover/concealment is usually an important part of combat - so, yes please add a reasonable (how much is reasonable again?) amount of it, but keep my weak config in mind (900MHz-GF4-1GB)  wink_o.gif

Preferably little islands of vegetation, with a tree or five and a couple of bushes, not just single shrubs and trees randomly spread over a plain...

If I were a medival lord I would build a castle on the southern hill to control the whole southern part of the western island  smile_o.gif  (from a pure look on the map, the added road section down there doesn't make much sense - instead it could just lead up to a castle, prob. not on top, but on the western slope )

Prob. too many bridges, esp. to the island with castle 1.  Come on, those people in Beckum could just as well use Bridge 7 to get there instead. You know, building bridges is expensive  wink_o.gif

just a quick note...(read as "im comming back later to bitch!")

first love the scale of the island and its open areas and lack of cluter

spent best part of 3 hours last night fiddling with mission one of youre campain to get it to work right heheeh. ever time i got to the base along the road the chopper just sat there in the road smile_o.gif

i climbed into the guard tower at the gate the one with the windows when i looked out i could see terrain tress etc but NOT the enemy not even the chopper stuck on the road 400m e of me! some how the windows hide veh's and infs...

i know initialy you were going to have 1 airport, since then youve added another a civilain thing both are in the NE quater of the island.

if youre making youre map for multiplayer consideration then to place both so close together may not work. it would be better IMO to put them on oppsosite corners maximising distance to each other allowing for more chance of air combat and CAS plus giving the opertunity to evade the enemy when needed.

also the one in the NE corner has a nasty lil hill on the end of the runway THAT HATES ME! sad_o.gif

off to try version 3 (gawd another 2hrs flying around getting lost heheehehhe biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gif )

I had a quick go on this island last night, and it's exactly what I was waiting for in OFP. A decent map where I can have large scale tank battles. Great job so far.

The one thing I think that would make it perfect would be to make it like FDF east border, so it gives the map the illusion that it is actually inland, instead of an island. But that isn't really important.

Nice work.

I played your campaign for a while, problem is, I spent three hours running to each objective with time compression on, and never once encountered anything except for in ONE mission, 7 guys and a hind.

I highly doubt that SEALs come out of a water about 15 miles away from their targets and are ordered to "Proceed quickly".

My .02 USD

shamelles bump.........

and.....

i hate you! tounge_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

cause of youre island ive started (gawd knows why)to look into makin one of me own............

its not easy is it.....

as for comment on youre island ive seen several road textures not linking, wiggly roads and lumps on the river islands but nothing you wont find youreself as you improve and perfect. occasional tree in the road too.

my one tip would be that from the campain i see youve gone for "jam" units, Id be inclined to keep it vanilla for best compatability for all users plus as there is now a growing trend to replace default units via modded config bin etc many users that want to try eg wgl or ecp mod with youre campain may run into trouble with units not being default bis.

this may intrest you a retextured sea mod still in production

http://www.ofp.bmj.pl/retextured1.php

theres several things id love to chuck at ya but having seen how difficult it is to make one o these islands (needs patience of saint) i dont have the hart smile_o.gif .regarding the scrub bush stuff i would only use them in town areas no in the large open plains. i think bushes and srub are really for inf concealment and being as most tactical situations involing inf will prolly be to attack a town or camp i would place them in and around towns/villages etc low scrub on open airfeild areas to allow inf sneak assaults etc

oh and in my search for euro dem.s (the quest for continues.....sigh) i cam a across a proggy called "3dem" that lil puppy will allow u to overlay a map graphic on a dem terain kinda like having a real 3d map with all the roads towns forests showing...could be very usefull for an accurate flashpoint map..

http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html

sfrandrg1.jpgemeraldbay1.jpg

Why are always the Russians the bad guys?

I'm becaming fed up of playing with American Soldiers tounge_o.gif

One suggestion: Someone could create a UE force to run the americans away from Europe and put them on the place they belong: USA tounge_o.gif

Sure no problem... just pay us back the money you still owe us for all those tanks and planes from WW2 :P

j/k

well mig YOU could make a russian campain based on this island.....couldnt you.......useing the default bis units and perhaps spoil us with wgl version too.... smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

c'mon pmc "chuck the dog a bone".....you avent gone back to falcon 4 again ave you???!! crazy_o.gif

Don't diss F4!

I knew Snake Man from those days..... Trying to get him to play IL2 with me now biggrin_o.gif

Para.

Quote[/b] ]Sure no problem... just pay us back the money you still owe us for all those tanks and planes from WW2 :P

j/k

No kidding, and now you talk, remember Marshall Plan as well to make us feel that we real own America unclesam.gif

ghostface.gif

who's "dissing" f4? rock.gif

if hes bin watching their forum like i have theres bin some interesting development tests with terrain and we wouldnt wanna loose him back there..........just yet..... wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

besides ROVER STILL NEEDS FEEDING!!! mad_o.gif

Well, if there's anything I'd complain about, is the lack of gas stations in the north... I mean, I won't even dare to take the Mercedes S 600 or the Dodge Challenger from south of Haelen to the island east of Bridge 8...  sad_o.gif  Real gas-gulpers are fast but on this island, won't cruise very far... guess the 67 Chevy Camaro is my best bet of going around at speeds in excess of... hmmm... well, it's nicer than those original ofp sport cars and seems to have an endless supply of gas, too!!!  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

And you say he's a flight simmer? Erm, that would go with the island size, but... to have made the only runway there is not totally flat is... like... something I've never seen in flight sims... guess he changed to flying Colonel Klink's harrier... rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

Awesome, awesome island, Snake Man. I'm really looking forward to this. For once, an island that doesn't jump on the jungle/desert bandwagon!

My only suggestion this: Remember to use logic when planning your airport's runway and taxiways. I will give you my first born child if you make a logical, realistic airport. biggrin_o.gif I don't necessarily mean in the way of buildings, but layout. The airport layouts of too many islands (even the more popular ones) are planned without logic.

Just some pointers, where I have noticed that some islands faulter: Make sure there is a taxiway close to both ends of the runway, so an aircraft does not have to land, and then have to pull a U-turn on the centerline to get back to the tarmac. Make sure the tarmac/ramp to the runway is off to the side, in parallel to the runway, not perpendicular to it, or at the end. If a plane is landing in that direction, and cannot brake in time, the owners of the parked aircraft will not be happy. crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif Just remember, ask yourself questions about the locations, as if you were really there, in an aircraft, or pertaining to roads, if you were in a car.

I hope this helps you. PM me if you have any questions about my suggestions, or need some clarification. I'll definitely be looking forward to this island!