Sign in to follow this  
Colossus

Hitler? who is that?

Its all about how you ask the questions, and who you ask.

Asking:

"Was the battle of Endor an actual historical event?"

and

"Was the battle of Endor in the movie Star Wars an actual historical event?"

Will get you quite different answers. It becomes even more interesting if you ask someone who doesnt give a hoot about TV or Sci Fi and only paid moderate attention in school, but wants to maintain the impression of being educumacated ;)

things i've heard about austrailia / aussies

-they call corona beer horse piss

-they serve corona with lime instead of lemon (or is it lemon instead of lime, not a big corona fan myself)

-they have Hungry Jack, instead of Burger king, but the cups and wrappers still have the burger king logo on them

- they have a bar called 'the bank'

the females in townsville really like marines who come there to train.

hmm, that's about all i've heard from my buddies who went, but I know they all claim it was the best country that they've been to so far.

....that dont know what June 6th....

What is it about June 6th  rock.gif

LOL what is it about that date?

The D-day landings.

How can Im forget that? crazy_o.gif

How can Im forget that?  crazy_o.gif

It's like Longinius said, it's all about the way you ask the questions. About the June 6th one. No doubt June 6th means many different things to many different people (perhaps a significant personal event). But if the question was what is significant about the date June 6th 1944? The response may well have been different.

But I'd have to agree that general historical knowledge is lacking somewhat in the UK, I have no doubt that the case is the same in many other countries as new generations come along.

This is absolute nonesense. The english{/b] love the topic of WWII and Hitler in order to compensate for their Great-empire-now-small-empire complex. The second thing they are thought (after where the mother-milk is to be found) is that you should use any occasion to tell a german about WWII and Hitler.

There are of course different varieties of communicating with a german

A.) Nah, I dont blame you for WWII..... but your father and grandfather

b.) Cheers Hans, two worldwars and 1 one worldcup, dudaaa dudaaa.

c.) You know where I am from? Coventry, my parents obliged me to hate you germans...and your women with their "german" armpits!

wow_o.gif

c.) You know where I am from? Coventry, my parents obliged me to hate you germans...and your women with their "german" armpits!

Reminds me of a british comedy series...

Fawlty Towers!

"Don't mention the war!"

wink_o.gif

http://www.flat-earth.org/

Question 11:

11. Does this fit in with the Hollow Earth theory?

Yes. Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis. All those claiming to have seen this have misinterpreted it to fit in with the spurious and false Spherical Earth theory.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Question 16:

16. Can ships be 'lost' at the edge of the Earth?

Yes, at least in places where there are no mountains preventing this from occurring. The edge of the Earth is, in places a tremendous waterfall, and anything going over the edge will disappear into the aether. This can also happen to aircraft which fly off the edge.

PS: I'm glad these times are over. EU rules! smile_o.gif

it is over? Hell noone told me ... and I am sitting here in this bunker, eating stone-dry bred and waiting for the command-center to ring me up. I knew something must be wrong with this phone, it didnt ring for decades. Or maybe...nah you are just yoking...it is better I wait for the command-center's instructions! tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Almost half of those asked thought William Wallace never existed and more than half believed King Arthur was real.

A quarter thought Robin Hood was a genuine historical figure

It would be interesting to see the questions that were actually asked as both King Arthur and Robin Hood do have a historical basis even though the popular legends have been greatly romanticised. Equally if they questioners wanted to link William Wallace with the film "Braveheart" then I think its pretty fair to say he was a fictional character.

Its pretty shameful reading but I suspect that the questions could easily have been skewed to make for more interesting reading.

Britain may have history troubles but america has a geographical problem. Out of 30,000 university students in a survey only 200 could name a country in asia. 18,000 thought that the Scottish city of Glasgow, rhymed with cow. Nor in fact could they tell us where scotland was. "der.......uhm.....scotland....ain't that somewhere in russia?". What i find incredible though is that 4000 didn't know where Mexico is.

Out of 30,000 university students in a survey only 200 could name a country in asia

I belief a lot (cross-thread-hint) but that is simply not true! rock.gif I would believe something like 29800 out of 30.000 UNIVERSITY STUDENTS could at least name Japan, Vietnam, China, Thailand, North and South Corea!

Britain may have history troubles but america has a geographical problem. Out of 30,000 university students in a survey only 200 could name a country in asia.

HA! Easy:

Turkey (Mostly in Asia), Russia, Cypros, Lebanon,

Jordan, Israel, Syria, Georgia, Armenia,Azerbeijan,

Saudi-Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates,

Yemen, Oman, Quatar, Bahrain, Pakistan, Afghanistan,

Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan,

India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bagladesh, Nepal, China, Mongolia,

Bhutan, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan,

Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Phillippines, Japan,

North-Corea and South-Corea.

I might have missed some small islands.

Australia and other island around it is a continent called Oceania.

PS: I did NOT cheat at all  wink_o.gif

Belive it or not.

EDIT: I just remeber that South-Corea's flag is almost like a

commersial for Pepsi.

pepsi.gif

SouthKoreaflag.gif

Hmm...The symbol is quite like, don't you think?

Jethro Tull was a guy. He invented the Seed Drill (early 18th century).

It's limes with Corona. And you don't stuff them down the neck of the bottle. When it's 95F (35C) and humidity is near 100% the method is to smear the lime wedges around the neck of the bottle, then dust it with salt similar to the way a margarita glass is prepared. Then you take a slug straight from the bottle.

[edit]As far as geography goes, there's four things to know: it's either east of the Sabine, South of the Rio Grande, North of the Red River, or somewhere out west.

lol, I just searched on Google and look what I found

He was a guys biggrin_o.gif

Well i know this for a fact that when they asked Bush about who the Prime minister of India was he didnt knew this was before his election tounge_o.gif , it might be untrue but i think i read it in some newspaper.

Sometimes asking people the simplest of questions in a public environment can produce the strangest answers.

Well i know this for a fact that when they asked Bush about who the Prime minister of India was he didnt knew this was before his election  tounge_o.gif  , it might be untrue but i think i read it in some newspaper.

Bush is stupid! I have said it since the start of his career biggrin_o.gif

Jethro Tull was a guy. He invented the Seed Drill (early 18th century).

It's limes with Corona. And you don't stuff them down the neck of the bottle. When it's 95F (35C) and humidity is near 100% the method is to smear the lime wedges around the neck of the bottle, then dust it with salt similar to the way a margarita glass is prepared. Then you take a slug straight from the bottle.

[edit]As far as geography goes, there's four things to know: it's either east of the Sabine, South of the Rio Grande, North of the Red River, or somewhere out west.

Well then substitue Jethro Tull with Led Zeppelin or Lynrd Skynrd.

Either way they are defiently not referring to that JT. Especially when they say "I like that guy Jethro Tull, he rocks"

Actually I just remembered some years back at secondary school some guy in my history class wrote a report on the battle of Banockburn which had the English army defeating the Germans!