Sign in to follow this  
TeRp

Jean christophe's normandy island

I just do not want the AI to be able to see through the buildings and the tall grass.  I made a WWII coop in Flers, and the AI could see through the buildings and the tall grass and kill us before we could see them.

Yes, you are right KaRRiLLioN.

Just "tried" to play a coop on Normandie and our whole squad has been eliminated befor anyone got an enemy in his view. Was really frustrating.

Would be very nice if you (JC) could fix that

Mfg MEDICUS

I agree... it is EXTREMELY important that the AI not be able to see through the grass unless your head or upper body is sticking up out of it. smile_o.gif

Other then that and the relatively small Omaha beach (needs more anti-tank barriers and barb wire along a larger stretch of the beach) I think this map is absolutely amazing. I just made a D-Day airborne mission that is super fun. I stuck some German snipers up in some of the farm buildings along the route the airborne troops take to their objective which really added to the excitement and chaos. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I will correct the problems of visibility of IA in the fields, and the others, is just necessary to wait a little biggrin_o.gif

Thanks Jean! If you fix those problems your map will be perfect. But even as it is I'm REALLY enjoying your map immensely!!!!

Thank you so much for your hard work!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

With regard to the textures, are you saying that I can remove the boutique.pbo from the server entirely? Are there any other .pbo's I can remove from the server as well?

I made a CTF using the USMC assault pack in the wheat/farm fields just south of Flers and it's a blast.  I put in a couple of tractors to spice it up and some civilians out in tractors tending the fields as well.  I also took out grenades (except hand grenades).

It makes for some fairly intense action, and it's kinda funny when you see a flag popping up thru the field running away as you start spraying the field with an M249.

"Stay outta my corn field boy!!"

;)

Iirc the boutique.pbo contains more than just textures. But i removed the data2.pbo (contains only textures) and made a new boutique.pbo without textures in it and this is working fine on my server.

Quote[/b] ]If you like you can test my version of Normandy.

www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd

I used as much as possible default objects to keep lag at minimum.

Please let me know what you think

Johan

Why dont you make your own thread. You'll get a better review wink_o.gif Not using Jean's thread wink_o.gif

I really like this island. The buildings and such are great.

But I do have two things about the island;

-the multi-storage builings in the big town in the southwest have these "bows" where you should be able to walk (like in the simular BIS building in RES), but the geometry is made so it's solid and you can't walk there. Not only is this "invisible wall" very stupid, it's also a shame you can't walk there. These little places can eb used to great effect in urban warfare and I was really looking forward to some 'shoot-run-hide' combat in this town. I hope you'll change the geo-lod to include this.

-I hate the new ground textures. The new ones are dark and very 'pixeled', I mean that they are a bit too detailed. The old ones were very fresh and good looking. They gave the island a freah and 'calm' look. The new ones have so many spots on them that from the air I have a hard time telling trees and ground apart. Although I can't ask you to go bakc to the old ones, I would like to ask you to keep the nems the same. Right now I can simply replace the new ones in the DATA2.pbo with the old textures. I hope you can keep this a possibility since I think the island looks a lot better with the old textures.

what i´m really missing is an airfield and a harbour...

however, i cant force you to add them, but they would make a big difference in the atmosphere of the island smile_o.gif

I actually like the current ground textures a bit better, mainly because the old "green" land texture looked a bit fake or cartoonish. This one looks more realistic. It does blend with trees more, but it looks more realistic overall.

The arches in the buildings that you're talking about...I agree that it's odd you can't walk under them. The buildings are still very useful, but the collision box around the building doesn't take those into account. I'm not sure whether that could be fixed properly, given OFP's poor collision detection for buildings.

soon a new version, I corrected some bugs, collision with the trees, invisibility in the fields, IA in the buildings blues.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Wohaa!

Great news JC!  tounge_o.gif

Edit:

Would it be possible to add a small airfield and perhaps a small harbor? That would be really great! Especialla an airport would be a great thing for the island (and for mission making of course, too!)

Mfg MEDICUS

An airfield would be little more than a long peice of grass and a small control centre (no pavement was used for smaller airfield used by fighter aircrafts)

Just found this on Gamezone.cz:

Quote[/b] ]Jean Christophe released a new version V1.01 of his really nice Normandy Island

Some bugs are fixed on Normandy island, such as collision with the trees, invisibility in the fields, IA in the buildings... and more. The Tiger is featured in 3 variants.

jc_norm_01_s.jpg          jc_norm_02_s.jpg

jc_norm_03_s.jpg          jc_norm_04_s.jpg

Download Links available on Gamezone.cz

Mfg MEDICUS

Aaaaarg.... I'm at school and can't test it out!!!   This is one of my favorite maps ever for OFP (aside from the Sanai,Ia-Trang, Chechnya, and Tonal maps).  

If someone can please test out some battles in the fields to see how they go.  smile_o.gif

I hope they are as good as the ones I experienced in the tall grass on the Wake Island addon.  Those are crazy with Marines and Japanese soldiers running into each other in fierce and chaotic CQB combat!!!  smile_o.gif

I hope for similar experiences on this map between US and German forces in the fields of Normandy.  smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

We have a CTI for Normandy on our server and will do some testing for you tounge_o.gif

First test was good, the island did not crash the server, so the texture aspect bug seems to be fixed smile_o.gif

We have a CTI for Normandy on our server and will do some testing for you  tounge_o.gif

First test was good, the island did not crash the server, so the texture aspect bug seems to be fixed  smile_o.gif

Cool!  I suggest that in the areas with fields, if you're playing the German side, sweeping the fields with MG-42 fire.  

Hehehehe....

That or lob a few grenades in.  I imagine in MP games those fields will make for some CRAZY ambushes of convoys driving through the farmland.  

It'll also take away the advantage of the German heavy armor (that take alot of Bazooka hits to kill) by allowing the allied infantry to hide in the tall grass and present a much more difficult target for both the German AI and actual players... however for real players on the German side, they may have to develop tactics such as firing a few main tank rounds into the fields ahead of them (or spraying the fields with MG fire).

smile_o.gif

The German infantry could also dismount and sweep the areas ahead of the tanks of any allied infantry. That would make for some interesting battles especially with American or British snipers holed up in some of the farm houses providing covering fire. Then the problem for the German tanks will be avoiding blowing up their own troops.

But I suppose also that German troops can launch similar types of ambushes against Allied troops as they leave the beaches and head inland to seize key bridges and towns or to link up with airborne troops.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

a god tactic then is placing AP and AT mines in the fields, (and visible ones on the roads to force the enemy to go around (into the fields?) the mines biggrin_o.gif

sorry to say this but your tiger tank gives me an error "data file read error (config.cpp)"

when i try to start OFP together with some other ww2 addons (I44demo, WW2EC shermans, and t_roc´s tink pack)

hav´nt tried without them though...

there is a problem with the tiger, it is not the version which I gave, mine made 2.6mb, I espere that the error will be to repair soon crazy_o.gif

Fantastic Island, I just got round to downloading it. It is a massive leap beyond that beta. Great job.

For those that don't speak french

esperer = to hope