Sign in to follow this  
OVERWATCHangel

American civil war mod close release!!!

Looks great so far, just an question

Does that Sword actually work with the AI? would be great if it does

if you implent that zombie script in them, it works fine

this is really easy to do, i did it with G8s italian police with sticks addon biggrin_o.gif

Ahh great! That would be excellent! Picture the holed up brigade fire their last volley then charge the field with bayonnets and sword! If it does indeed work, you'll recieve a special thanks for noticing the solution! biggrin_o.gif Now just if someone would share how they make a lotta gun smoke like the heavy sniper in the new WG mod v4.00 pack! I asked their team but as yet no reply! rock.gif Perhaps they dont like to share script information...

Well ive got an amd athlon 2.6+ chip (actually meaning only 2ghz! thanks for nothing amd! mad_o.gif ) and 512MB of 400 speed DDR RAM! On a particular mission, using a view distance of 1800 and normal ground textures, ive played with only minor lag using around 180 men, as well as dozens of objects including cannon, wagons, barricades, tents etc! Overall the experience is not to be missed! To address an earlier mentioned issue about the possibility of a quick death, my missions will mainly cover the defensive side of battles, with cover taking the form of an abundace of barricade objects! When tasked with an attack however, it will normally be as part of a skirmish force or flank attack, sometimes sneaking through a forest and emerging to the rear of the battlefield in front of them to harrass the supply wagon guard and gun crews! Something you dont need to worry about is being the poor unfortunate front line troops! wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Just a question regarding the "Formation" scripts...

Once you've released this mod, do you guys have any objection to others using it with other units (Those Napoleonic Flashpoint units would really benefit from it, methinks)

Why wait? I've got a script you can use to make any formation your heart desires smile_o.gif. Grab it here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=433

However, I am telling you guys in this mod, if you just put this in your units config, you won't need scripts at all:

formationX=1;

formationZ=1;

Less scripts running = less lag. Also, units ALWAYS stay in the game's formations better/tighter than formations made from a bunch of "domove" commands. They are built into the game, thats why. I don't see why you wouldn't just put those two lines in the units config.cpp, and make things better overall. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ] Now just if someone would share how they make a lotta gun smoke like the heavy sniper in the new WG mod v4.00 pack! I asked their team but as yet no reply! Perhaps they dont like to share script information...

There is a property in a weapon's config that relates to it's muzzle smoke, I believe. That is most likely how they made their heavy smoke. However, you could also do that by adding a "fired" EH to each unit with the certain gun. Use that EH to find the "nearestobject" of the type of bullet fired by the unit, to find the bullet just fired. Then drop some particles at that location, and setvelocity them something like 1/1000th the velocity of the bullet, and you have muzzle smoke. Of course it would take some playing around to make it look good.

Okay, one more Q: Are their going to be rideable horses in the mod too? It would be great to have some cavalry scouts, and some generals on horseback.

Civil war MOD looks GRERAT !!!

.. but I am disgusted with like this e-mail:

Why is noone answering my mail?

News on the site have neem updated, but what I have kindly asked you to add to the screenshots of Civil War, has not been added.

Regards,

Triglav

I am very sorry, but work for ofp.info isn't bussines for me. I have my "Civil profession". This arrogance is indecency (minimal).

Good night

fighter

Fighter! I must apologise for Triglavs impatience! You must remember he's not english and so his wording was not intentionally aggressive! I was not aware that he has been trying to contact you, i'll consult with him now to find out what the problem is! Once again, sorry for this inappropriate email on behalf of the American Civil War MOD Team!!! wink_o.gif

OVERWATCHangel

Let me paste here for you our entire correspondence, also with another guy from ofp.info whom I've laways had good relations with. I am still not able to post at the forum...keeps telling me I am not allowed to post there even though my registering was accepted...otherwise I would have posted this entire correspondence there, so that people would see that I was in fact polite and he wasnt.

OK...

As this has all gotten unfriendly for no particular reason, and since perhaps it is because some mail was not received, I will post the chronology of events and all the corrsspondence below:

5.4.2004 the following is posted on ofp.gamezone.cz:

American Civil War MOD !!! 5. 4. 2004, 05:20:46

fighter

We recieved great screenshots from American Civil War MOD. I have screenshots only in this time, no more information, no web address. But the screenshots look great :-)

I am told by OVERWATCHangel that he sent the pictures there. I did not intend to release them, but was grateful for all the support anyway, so I wanted to ass dome info to the post, as it was written that "no more information, no web address" was supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So on the same day I sent the following mail to info@ofp.info , from my work address urednistvo@umco.si:

Hello again.

I saw you were sent some screenshots of our Civil War mod that were actually intended just for internal use...well now that they're online you might as well add the following comment to them:

»Thanks to all who showed support for the mod when the first pictures were posted. It's coming along nicely and it should be coming along even nicer soon.

Members of the old Civil War mod (that never got finished) are subnitting their work agan, there is also cooperation from Napoleonic guys and some other talented individuals. The page will also be up soon with the first units and weapons released. Later as better models and new units are made they will be added as well.

Any questions and comments, please send them to my email:mttriglav@email.si«

Thank you. Oh and the comments under each piece of news don't seem to be working. I tried to post a comment there but nothing happened whgen I clicked »send«

Best regards,

Triglav

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got no reply, and the pictures were not equipped with my text. Also not the next day, so I sent the same email again, this time to fighter@ofp.info as he posted them.

I still got no reply from anyone and couldn't post a comment on the page either...but also the page has not been updated, so I though the changes would be made when you next update the page.

On 6.4.2004 the page was updated with news of Normandy Island, but my screenshots weren't, so I sent the following mail to info@ofp.info and fighter@ofp.info :

News on the site have neem updated, but what I have kindly asked you to add to the screenshots of Civil War, has not been added.

Regards,

Triglav

To this I received no reply, but on 7.4.2004 on Bohemia Interactive Forums the following was posted by fighter:

Civil war MOD looks GRERAT !!!

.. but I am disgusted with like this e-mail:

Regards,

Triglav

I am very sorry, but work for ofp.info isn't bussines for me. I have my "Civil profession". This arrogance is indecency (minimal).

Good night

fighter

I was quite shocked that I was attacked in public like that, before any attempt was made to clarify things in direct debate. Further so as I am not a member of that forum and cannot defend myself there. This was indeed a low blow.

To that I have today (7.4.2004) from urednistvo@umco.si sent the following mail to info@ofp.info and fighter@ofp.info:

Please allow me a word on indecency as well.

My email has been private, not an opinion posted on a public board, and your disagreement with the tone of it could have been private as well. If you feel a need to expose me as somesort of a bad mannered person, well that's a different thing then. But the mail was in no way intended to be arrogant, but really a question. I have been used to clear and quick communication from ofp.info and everything has been sorted out effectively so far.

The screenshots you have posted have not been sent by me, even though I took them. Although I am grateful for the publicity the mod is receiving, I was not planning to post these screenshots to public viewing, as some things have been changed since these have been made and are getting changed on a daily basis (such as correct uniform colours, details, model fixes, etc).

...that's why, when I saw the »unauthorized« screenshots there with a message that no website or info were presented, I felt it would benefit both you and me to add some info to them, that it was work in progress and who those interested may contact.

I wrote the mail above after I saw another update on the site, therefore seeing someone took the time to post news on the site, without my message added to the screenshots and without receiving any reply to my mail. Forgive me if I found being completely ignored on the matter, despite being the author of this particular mod, somewhat unusual.

No disrespect was meant to your »civil proffession« with that, as I have one too which also takes almost all of my time, that's why half of my emails come from my job account. I did however expect some polite answer to my polite request, as ofp.info has so far always seemed very professional in their approach and relationship with the whole community.

I have not posted the contents of this mail on any forum, as I find it quite more indecent to make small personal disagreements a public affair, which in the long run make us all look as incapable of settling our own affairs in a civilized manner, and instead resorting to petty bickering in the open view, to the great amusement of uninvolved readers.

Best regards and much respect to all at ofp.info,

Triglav

But as I returned home today, the following two emails were waiting at my home address mttriglav@email.si:

From OFP.Info Team:

Hey Triglav,

sorry but i didn't received it or it was deteted as spam!

What happens exactly?

Cheers

And from ofp fighter:

Hi Triglav :-/

Are you my boss rock.gif What rock.gif I recieved first two screenshots from your colleague ( don't remember his nick). You colleague asked for newspost about your mod >>>> without information, no web address etc., only two screenies.

I released this news.

I don't have time for your MOD only, sorry.

... and I have my "CIVIL PROFESSION" too.

Have a nice day !

fighter

I believe none of this hostility is necesary, as I merely tried to offer assistance in information, where you seemed to have complained that no info was given.

In hope that we can settle this as soon as possible and get back to our business of making OFP community a fun place which it is intended to be I send you my best regards once again.

Triglav

Wow what a lot of misunderstanding there! tounge_o.gif

Sorry Triglav; actually fighter doesn't check the info@ofp.info mail (just me), so he just received the first mail with pics and the last one where you ask why we don't update the news. So it's understandable that he got a bit pissed off by the last directive mail, anyway everyone is busy and everyone can be impatient or a little bit angry sometimes... There's no big deal.

We could chat longer about this story but I think it doesn't deserve it since it's just due to a bad communication, I was very busy lately and didn't checked whole spam mail box (~100 spam/day) where your mail was.

So, end of story, and keep up the good work on this innovative project!

biggrin_o.gif

Cervo

All that arguing over some screenshots?

Thank you Cervo and Fighter for your time and patience and your help to the community.

We do not require needless posts such as that here! You've got nothing to do with it so dont waste time giving your opinion where its not asked for!

On a lighter note, it was all a big misunderstanding and is sorted out now! tounge_o.gif Back to talking about the MOD if you please! unclesam.gif

Looks great so far, just an question

Does that Sword actually work with the AI? would be great if it does

if you implent that zombie script in them, it works fine

this is really easy to do, i did it with G8s italian police with sticks addon  biggrin_o.gif

One thing with that great idea.... does the AI still use it's pistol/rifle?

Cowboy Screenies By Gavin

Ahh things are comming along with Gavins Western Mod! Oh the joy! Just noticed these screenshots of his work over on the above site! Check out my Cowboys & Martials Forum Post for screens of an early horse design too! Enjoy! tounge_o.gif

Hello everyone.

I can finally post on this form.

First I'd like to thank everyone who expressed their support. I really didn't think my little adaptations would arouse so much interest.

Like I said, as I am no modeller or texturer (but merely a re-arranger of existing ones) I have to list here first the people that did the work which I adapted.

The current soldiers and weapons I remodelled and retextured based on work by Napoleonic Flashpoint crew: Teddy, Spad, BraveHeart, Rifleman and Scorpion. Thank you guys!

Here's a pic of the weapons as they are now:

CWLongarms.jpg

The bayonet works, but the anim is regular rifle recoil, and A.I. doesn't know how to use it properly. If someone could suggest how to use that zombie script to mae them soldiers charge with the bayonet, that would be very cool.

Since these have been made however, I have establihed contact with old Civil War mod chaps, Russel and Desert (they seemed to be dead but were in fact just hibernating), and they sent me 3ds models of rifles and pistols way better than the ones above.

Unfortunately they're untextured. So if anyone is willing to help with the texturing of our models, most welcome.

Also...since Gavin is working on the Wild West mod, we have agreed to cooperate on some things and share some models.

Eventually this cooperation should also produce a whole new Civil War soldier, which will then be remodelled and retextured to make uniform variations for both north and south...the current models do have some awkwardness and a few glitches that I can't seem to be able to fix completely...

So...the question now is only whether the current solders and guns should be released, or will we be able to get the new models made and textured in such a short time that they can be released as v.1.0. and the old ones discarded.

Best regards,

Triglav

Looks good... very good indeed.... Can't wait until mod is released biggrin_o.gif

Thank you Cervo and Fighter for your time and patience and your help to the community.

mmm... its not Cervo and fighter for their time and patience. But Triglav for his time and patience while ofp.info did some clumsy work. Why is is Fighter making things blow up. He gives the community a bad name . Grow up  wink_o.gif

No need to discuss it further KEREL.

It was a misunderstanding and we took care of it.

just wait, no need to release models that are just gona be scrap in a few months. I'm glad to hear youre working with gavin, just make sure of one thing, NO FAT ARMS!!!!!!!!!!!! Its the one thing that has pagued OFP for way to long. anyways good work, looks nice.

mmm... its not Cervo and fighter for their time and patience. But Triglav for his time and patience while ofp.info did some clumsy work. Why is is Fighter making things blow up. He gives the community a bad name . Grow up  wink_o.gif

Me grow up? LOL ,They do alot more than you think!!

They put up with people giving them orders for a site that they supply and host addons and even host MY site!!!!

And they host many OFP sites.And they are doing all this for FREE!!

They help OFP and the addon scene more than you think.

Not only that Fighter does some great texture work.

Sorry it just upsets me that they aren't getting the respect they deserve.They don't have to do what they do.

Big Congrats to OFP.INFO ...the best OFP site !!!!

And about the mod, that you have posted a uncomplete mod in the complete section.

Looking great, love Gavins cowboys

But shouldn't this be moved to Addon Mods Discussion?

I don't see any release dates? Only a mod discussion and some rude people

Bratty and all others...

I really don't see a need for you people to go for each other's throats about something that has already been settled by the involved parties, and is really just littering this thread with bad vibes now...

Let's talk about the mod rather, shall we?

Where this thread is moved I don't much care about.

Wherever is fine, as long as ideas can be generated.

Is it a complete mod or just a collection of addons?

Perhaps the second is more right.

For one... a map, official mod missions or a campaign are not planned now. Perhaps in time, but currently they were not discussed.

As far as release dates are concerned...

This current state of things (some 15 soldiers, a cannon, 3 rifles and a revolver) could be released this very moment, but as said above, perhaps it is better to wait for the completion of new models.

About tips given so far by people here:

formationX=1;

formationZ=1;

This was put into the config files of soldiers and it works great. The guys stand nicely crowded, and stay in close formation no matter which default formaiton order you give them. Many thanks for the tip!

Could it also be put in the config, that the soldiers never go prone, but instead only fight standing up or kneeling?

Still waiting for info on implementing the zombie attack script to soldiers with bayonets. Any info welcome.

3. Gun smoke

I would like to keep this a simple as possible. If somehow the smoke as let's say BMP's main gun makes could be assigned to the muzzle of the musket in the config file...anyone know how that could be done?

Regards,

Triglav

whats wierd is this news article

Quote[/b] ]Civil War Battle Remains Buried

Sun Apr 11, 3:32 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The remains of a group of Civil War soldiers have been interred with military ceremony, nearly 150 years after the battle that claimed their lives.

Drums beat and uniformed Civil War re-enactors fired muskets during Saturday's ceremonial burial at Springfield National Cemetery.

Archaeologists discovered the fragmented bones, believed to be from seven individuals, in the mid-1960s in a sinkhole at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, said Jeff Patrick, librarian at the historic site.

The bones were kept in Columbia, then were sent to an anthropologist in California for analysis a couple years ago. The anthropologist identified them as Union soldiers.

Patrick said park officials got the bones back about a year ago and arranged a burial ceremony for Saturday's dedication of a monument to Union soldiers.

The soldiers, whose names are unknown, died in the Battle of Wilson's Creek near Republic on Aug. 10, 1861. The Confederacy lost 277 soldiers and the Union lost 285, said William Piston, a history professor at Southwest Missouri State University.

"Wilson's Creek does not loom as large in our collective history as Gettysburg or Vicksburg or some of the larger battles, but for those who fought here, they had every reason to believe they were participating in something on an unprecedented scale," Piston said.

That place is just down the road from me.... so I want the mod and recreate it!!!! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

@Triglav

Quote[/b] ]Could it also be put in the config, that the soldiers never go prone, but instead only fight standing up or kneeling?

Yes, that can be done pretty easily. In the units 'init' event handler, just put the line:

this setUnitPos "UP"

I can talk to you via PM if you don't know how to use event handlers via configs.

Also, I think I could whip something up pretty easily to make the AI use their bayonets. The mission editor may have to put down a trigger or something though, but I'll see what I can do. Contact me via PM, and we can talk about it more, but I'd need some of the units (just the old ones that you are about to change) so I'd know what I'm working with.

Not sure about the muzzle smoke though:(. You'll have to ask some experienced addon makers about how to do that (BAS, CoC, DKM, etc).

Glad to see interest hasn't dwindled in this post and we are finally getting interaction with the community! biggrin_o.gif With regards to the release, i also agree with the delay until the new models are implecated! This would ensure that when the addons are released, the models one would work with are useful and worthwhile to create missions and possibly a campaign for, without worrying about updating all the units in a months time or so!

On the topic of missions and campaigns, ive actually finished yet another western themed scenario today entitled 'Cattle Rustlers Hideout' that plays well and looks and feels right! When the official addons are released, you can expect to see these missions soon after since it will be a simple case of recreating the work ive done using exchanged models and scripts!

Finally, a message of appreciation to the ofp.cz chaps! Their efforts dont go unnoticed! smile_o.gif

Regards,

OVERWATCHangel