Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Gmail, google comes out with new feature

Sagh!

(Get seriouse!)

qaStaHvIS wej puq poHmey vav puqloDpu' puqloDpu'chaj je quvHa'moH vav quvHa'ghach

(The dishonor of the father dishonors his sons and their sons for three generations. )

So the bosses at google better watch what they´re doing.

*beeep*

"qaH, rI'Se' luwaQlu'taH"

("Sir, the hailing frequencies are being jammed." )

damn have to get back to business again biggrin_o.gif

zoo.gif

We need a techincal economic evaluation on this. Just harddrives, things are running under $1US per gig. ev1servers is leasing whole servers for $99 bucks a month. Let's pull numbers out of the air and see what happens:

If we say it 'costs' $90 US a month, that's $1080 a year. Plus 4 120mb drives at $120 a piece, that makes $1560 a year. Divide by 480gb, that makes a 'cost' of $3.25 tops per user for hardware. If they charge ~.3 cents (30% of a penny) per meg of email, that'll break even on the hardware.

Anybody know off hand what google's going ad rates are?

No, but they have shitloads of different ads. They display whatever you search on. Eg searching on cat food gives two ads: "Pet Health Supplements" and "Petsbuy Pet Supplies"

I have no numbers but i recall hearing/reading that they had a good profit last year.

Quote[/b] ]4 120mb drives at $120 a piece

You're thinking of the cheapest drives available. The failure rate for cheap IDE drives is way to high and could end up costing more money in the long run than it would save. A nice 150GB SCSI drive will run you around $400-$600. I'm sure they're cheaper in bulk, but still alot more than the crap drives we have in our computers.

BTW, those EVI servers that are $99 per month contain IDE drives, very little RAM and slow Celeron proccessors, and their bandwidth is capped. Thats why they are so cheap to rent. Add SCSI hard drives to the server you'll pay Ev1 at least $200 per month.

Hardware is is just part of the equation when it comes to providing internet services. The prices you've quoted on EV1 are not really what Google would pay for a single server, as they own their own range on IP addresses, most defintely own their own servers, and might even own the building that the servers sit in.

The big cost I see is the man-power involved in administrating the servers. For something like this to work, they would have to pretty kick-ass software on the backend to keep administrative costs to a minumum. Bandwidth is another issue they would have to contend with.

On the upside, only a small amount of the users who signed up would actually come close to using their alloted space; allocating 1GB of diskpace for every customer is not needed, but their are sooo many things that could go wrong, I jsut don't see it working.

I could see 100 or 200 megs with signifigant restrictions on usage, but a gig? It just sounds a bit far fetched to me.

My point was, with crap gear google would only need to charge 3 hundredths of a penny total for all the ads in a single 102k email to break even with full load. I'm sure if they had a dozen ads per page, and charged more, they could be making money hand over fist even with quality hardware.

However, I never have bought anything via ads like that, nor do I ever intend to. I do tons of window shopping before I finally get around to getting something because of it's own merits.

The problem about attacking privacy rights, isnt that people who sign up for it will get their e-mail scanned... but that every1 that sends e-mail to a gmail user will have THEIR e-mails scanned without their authorisation.