Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Joint operations: typhoon rising

yet again another "game other than ofp" bashing thread.

Open up you minds, and play a game to have some fun. It is a GAME isnt it?

yet again another "game other than ofp" bashing thread.  

Open up you minds, and play a game to have some fun.  It is a GAME isnt it?

I had an open mind. Then I played the demo. And closed it again.

IMO, it's not another "game other than ofp" bashing thread.

It's yet another developer releasing utter shit. They'll make squillions off of it, but put sweet f**k all back into the series.

Near enough should not be taken as good enough. Especially when it's your hard earned dollar that they're trying to take.

Having said that, Skewballz. What your proposing is that if someone samples a game, that if they have negative comments about that game, that they simply not post about that game because those comments are negative.

While I'm not gonna go post a thread: 'Insert game title here' With the sub heading. 'What a piece of s**t!'

But when someone does post a topic about a game, that I have happened to of played. Then it's my right to post my thoughts. Even if those thoughts are negative towards the game/developer/publisher, it's still my right.

What you want is a forum for games where even the manure is portrayed as smelling like roses. And where no one can complain about the smell.

Furthermore. This is an OFP orientated forum. When it comes to games, the majority of us will have the same if not similar tastes and opinions towards a so-called game. That's a bit of a no-brainer. So it shouldn't come as a surprise if allot of the people who participate in the forum come out and go: This game is _. It might seem like we're bashing every game that is not OFP. But that's far from the case.

For example, it is arguable that Delta Force: Joint Ops is in the same genre of OFP. Are they in the same league? In my opinion: No. OFP is leaps and bounds ahead. They are comparable, and in this forum, it's inevitable that they will be compared.

Is OFP and say, C&C: Generals Zero Hour comparable. In my opinion, no. Is C&C: Generals Zero Hour better than what else is on offer/been on offer. It's a little bit more advanced than say Total Annihilation. But that game, donkeys years old, still gives C&C: Generals Zero Hour a run for it's money if you look past fancy graphics. Do I enjoy those games. In most aspects, yes. Is there a current thread about them? No.

I enjoy racing sims, sports sims flight sims, RPG’s and RTS games, but they have to meet certain standards. There are games in those Genre's that I highly praise. OFP is the standard for me when it comes to both FPS and 'battlefield' games. And in those other genre's, I have benchmark titles as well. If new titles don't match up to at least some of the standards of those benchmark titles, then chances are, those new titles that don't have something to offer will (probably) be branded with negative opinions from me.

I played JO and I kinda like it. If you realise that it is not a military simulation and instead play the game realising what type of game it is then it can be fun. I have played the latest demo over 10 hours I think. With 100+ players this game can be really fun sometimes.

I thought this game sucked at first too but thats when I was playing on servers with like 20 people. If you play on a server with 100 players and there are people over almost the whole island then it is fun. Anyone who hasnt played this game on a 100 player server over 5 hours should not say anything about this game smile_o.gif

It is not a military simulation, its like a massive shooter. Play the game realising what kind of game it is and it is fun, if you play it like a military simulation it will suck. wink_o.gif

VerySolidSnake I've merged your thread with the existing JO thread, please search before making new threads smile_o.gif

I played JO and I kinda like it. If you realise that it is not a military simulation and instead play the game realising what type of game it is then it can be fun. I have played the latest demo over 10 hours I think. With 100+ players this game can be really fun sometimes.

I thought this game sucked at first too but thats when I was playing on servers with like 20 people. If you play on a server with 100 players and there are people over almost the whole island then it is fun. Anyone who hasnt played this game on a 100 player server over 5 hours should not say anything about this game  smile_o.gif

It is not a military simulation, its like a massive shooter. Play the game realising what kind of game it is and it is fun, if you play it like a military simulation it will suck.  wink_o.gif

I completely agree!

I take this game for what it is and I’m having a great time with it.

Hi all,

still nothing better than ofp. Personally for me its another crappy shooter game like the mass out there.

jumping while shooting rock.gif

regards,

Day

biggrin_o.gif

I have an odd video issue with this demo- ingame, the world is pitch black, barring the sun/moon shining over head. When I put on my NVGs everything's fine, but that's a pain in the ass when it's bright out, what with the over-gain from excess light. I have no idea what's going on- anyone else experiencing this?

edit: to clarify, the gameworld is completely black: no tracers, no muzzle flashes, nothing. The GUI is visible just fine, though.

Quote[/b] ]jumping while shooting rock.gif

Hitting anything further than 2 meters rock.gif

Tex have you tried reinstalling it? Sounds like the effect you get when you are flashed.

I just bought JO... BIG MISTAKE!

If you love OFP you won't like that game.

-Vehicle physics are ridiculous

-Most of the few available weapons are completely useless due to bad configs.

-Most players don't seem to understand what they are supposed to do in AAS maps

-In fact almost all seem to be anti-social BF-veterans. No one uses the squad option – not even in COOP

-The AI in COOP missions is the same as in DF (i.e. dumb as pig s*!t)

-All maps look more or less the same (severe lack of textures!)

-Mid-range graphic cards aren't able to cope with some maps.

-Maps whith 100+ players lag like hell

-There are no civilians, planes, MBTs or parachutes and only one kind of APC. Embedded weapons have unlimited ammo.

-Your player ID is limited to ASCII characters (Why the hell is that?!)

-The game seems to crash frequently on almost anybody’s system (Good old "Sysdump.txt" for those who played BHD)

-NOVAWORLD also crashes fairly frequently- which is particularly annoying if you don’t have a lot of free time. The game is MP only. So no NOVAWORLD = no game!!

If you are looking for some quick action TDM-maps might be ok for you, but if you expect anything else - FORGET IT!

Well im enjoying the game, the graphics are nice, the massive games are cool, while the helecopter controls are simplified, it usually means that the pilot isnt going to kill you all, happens some times, but they ususally insert you just fine. The ground vehicles controls are same as in ofp, you tend to brush off objects without dammage, but better than a driver killing you all smile_o.gif.

I dont find most of the weapons useless, any infact, fav being the ak47 and m240.

Things i dont like is lack of types of vehicles only 2 armoured vehicles a btr and some other apc, no tanks. And when prone in the grass your are invisable to others at longer range completely, making snipers very very powerful as tehy have little scope sway and only bullet drop and speed to worrie abou no wind effects like the previous df games.

I enjoy it for what it is, a massivly online semi realistic war game, something ofp1 wasnt able to deliver sad_o.gif(the online players part).

I play the medic class bringing people back to life, you can do a bit fo run in gunning but only vrs an enemy in your face you are still required to stop and aim to hit anything further away, and jumping while shooting isnt also a used or usable option, gets you no where with no accuracy at all.

@ June 18 2004,09:35)]I have an odd video issue with this demo- ingame, the world is pitch black, barring the sun/moon shining over head. When I put on my NVGs everything's fine, but that's a pain in the ass when it's bright out, what with the over-gain from excess light. I have no idea what's going on- anyone else experiencing this?

edit: to clarify, the gameworld is completely black: no tracers, no muzzle flashes, nothing. The GUI is visible just fine, though.

this is a problem with ati cards, ither turn off af, or one of the settings in video settings cant rember which one, something to do with effects :/.

I got the game today actually, and it gets the SpecOp9 seal of approval.

Only setting up and installing your game is a bastard because it asks you for your CD-key about 3 times, and I found the 150 man maps to be way too laggy. (as in low FPS lag)

SpecOp9 seal of approval.

That must be an easy thing for a game to get as you seem to not hate anything tounge_o.gif

I was playing today and I saw someone with the name PlaceBo, I asked them if they played OFP, but they said no.

Oh well tounge_o.gif

I got the game today actually, and it gets the SpecOp9 seal of approval.

Only setting up and installing your game is a bastard because it asks you for your CD-key about 3 times, and I found the 150 man maps to be way too laggy. (as in low FPS lag)

the devs keep saying they have performace improving updates on the way, just how big they help out in these big games we have to wait and see.

SpecOps9. Is there any Single player option or just multiplayer rock.gif

-NOVAWORLD also crashes fairly frequently- which is particularly annoying if you don’t have a lot of free time. The game is MP only. So no NOVAWORLD = no game!!

I played the demo and uninstalled it immediately, same old BHD crap. My friend got it and he said it sucks big time.

Right. that 85 bucks I saved my self from spending:)

the closest u get to single player is playing the coop missions on lan :P

HellToupee said basically what I was going to say.

I think it's fun trying to do 1 man missions James Bond style.

As for game physics, they are'nt realistic at all, but in a fun way. The game is so fast you wont even care about realism because it's just so fast and furious. Wait...

Anyway, these massive multiplayer games really need to start coming with Single Player missions, even if it's with AI bots Battlefield style.

Unfortunately this a Multiplayer based game. And single player is out of the question, until mod people can make some. Once that's done, this game will be GrRrRrRrRrEAT!

Do helicopters still warp across the sky's like UFOs ? like the demo?

ok so i bought thsi game i hosted lan and put coop missions , i was all alone and didnt know how to put bots on my side so i decided to go my way thru surprise i completed the mission on my own biggrin_o.gif

Do helicopters still warp across the sky's like UFOs ? like the demo?

No, not that I know of.

ok so i bought thsi game i hosted lan and put coop missions , i was all alone and didnt know how to put bots on my side so i decided to go my way thru surprise i completed the mission on my own biggrin_o.gif

well i havnt managed that yet, tho ui havnt tried all the missions, some are bloody hard.