Sign in to follow this  
AngusHeaf

Wargames addpak 4.0 released

Been running a few games in the mod, and one kinda whine about the jeep clas units, like when CLSA first started they had random vehicle fires and explossions.   which was cool cause you didn't always get hosed if your vehicle took a hit.    Love the effect of LAws and small arms reaction to light skined vehicles.  But the humvess and jeep classed its tend to explode like armored units and have secondary explosions.  So your deisel powered vehicle like a humvee or BRDM2 begins brewing up with a ammo cock off like the tanks often killing you as your crawling from the wreckage.

One cofig tweak I've done is up the armor of wheeled vehicles so that if they take an RPG hit, they don't explode, but 95% of the time, the wheels will get taken out. So you'd have a HMMWV totally unusable (no tires = no driving) but it wouldn't cause a catastrophic explosion. Thus, the crew can still bail out and fight on, even though their vehicle was taken out. Of course with enough RPG hits, you'll still get an exploding vehicle, but so far it's worked really well.

Did I see someone something about a CTI for this mod?... or is that what this mod is? it's huge and I got confused sad_o.gif

SOMEONE HELP PLZ! I downloaded the mod because it looks great! I launched OFP, then the editor and loaded up a soldier, click preview and play around with the guy, check out his gear and helmet and stuff. THen I shoot, and theres no sound. I fired again but still no sound. SO i checked this with every unit of WG and none of them had sound when I fired! I posted it on the ofpec forums, and someone said I need the wgl_sound.pbo (i think thats what it was). SO if anyone can give me a link to that file I WILL APRRECIATE IT ALOT!

One cofig tweak I've done is up the armor of wheeled vehicles so that if they take an RPG hit, they don't explode, but 95% of the time, the wheels will get taken out. So you'd have a HMMWV totally unusable (no tires = no driving) but it wouldn't cause a catastrophic explosion. Thus, the crew can still bail out and fight on, even though their vehicle was taken out. Of course with enough RPG hits, you'll still get an exploding vehicle, but so far it's worked really well.

Well using my pack of humvees they often make it through a hit with an RPG and become disabled usually through the squads have a pair of RPG launchers that chain fire on us, two also have the humvees tweaked to have small arms fire engage them.

Commonly the humvves go up like roman candles, after soaking up a bunch of burst from the squads RPK and PK gunners. Funny is caught in the durning wreakage a few times and crawling out and still burning as well before dying. Just kinda thing the explosing humvees are a bit excessive even more so the secondary ammo detonations. Usually after you managed to take a hit and live then crawl out and get your rear-end blown off by your humvee exploding.

It was one of my pet peaves with the CLSA pack, even crashed the trick BMX bike and it explode and kill everything for a 20 meter blast radius. Then burn in place, its a nice effect but kinda wasted on wheeled vehicle class they should just burn, unless its the TOW vehicle but the one I use is not publicly released.

Hi Ya

I love tthis addon and i also hope the programmes ov OPF2 is taking note.

I've got a number of problems with the addon but i'm sure they will be worked out over time, but the one that is bugging me is trying to reload the tow system. I driven an ammo truck upto the tow and told the AI to reload but he only dose one round, also tryed my self but i can only do one round,...... any pointers?

Penfold crazy_o.gif

when u first build the TOW the missile rack next too the launcher hold about seven missile, which u cannot reload.

P rock.gif

some stuff you could inmprove

- you could make a kind of rpg gunner shock dust effect would be great and realistic i think

-when a chopper fires rochets of missiles you can see almost no smoke but if you watch a video showing mi-24, ka-50,... firing there a kind of long and compact trail of smoke following the missile if it doesn't add to much lag and look good it would be great too.(make it louder too would be much more frightening)

- for the next update please use csla choppers and why not replacing all units by new , it would certainly enlarge the file but it's a bit annoying to play old units with new effects ,there are plenty of possibilities to replace t55,t80,t72,a10,ah1(by the not totally finished super cobra of NZXSHADOWS), a new shilka ,... maybee only change the textures would be a big step forward.

-for the rockets i think it should look more like an explosion with fire and not only smoke maybee with with a little shock wave.

that's my very little contribution otherwise really great effects , the best on the market and i really don't see why the other mods are not taking them i don't think anyway it could be improved a lot. thanks a lot

when u first build the TOW the missile rack next too the launcher hold about seven missile, which u cannot reload.

P rock.gif

That's an engine problem/limitation. Try reloading a vehicle with a magazine (like a jeep with 5 100-round magazines) and only one magazine will ever get reloaded. In this case, only one missile will get reloaded.

Well, it's now 5:40am here, taken me over 19 hours of straight reading from start to finish. Yes, I mean I have read this thread from first to last all in one go. WHOA! A lot has been covered, and I haven't even installed it yet. Seems many improvements have been made along the way, lots of bugs covered with most fixed, and only a few things left to work out.

I'm prior Army, and I play OFP for mainly one reason...REALISM. So far, this has been very hard to do, as most of the units and vehicles are not that realistic in my opinion. Also, very few people I thought were into this kind of thing, but now I'm seeing more are like me and want more of a "simulation" and not a "game". I know this isn't real, but it's getting much closer than ever before.

Without having played it yet, I'm afraid there is little I can comment on yet other than what I have read. I do have some comments and suggestions based on other posts, and I'm sure I'll have more once I've checked this out myself. Since this post is a little long already, I'll close this one up with just saying GREAT WORK! I appreciate all the work that WGL team and the others are putting into it, and the fact that you listen to your "customers" and actually respond in a rapid manner.

I'll make another post in a little bit with some of those comments and suggestions I have. Of course, no complaints from me.

Ok, I've thought for a few moments to gather some of the ideas I had along my long journey of reading this book...I mean thread.  wink_o.gif

1) As far as the wheeled vehicle damage ratings, wouldn't increasing their armor rating to prevent single AT rounds destroying them also prevent other weapons from disabling them? Such as the use of the light 50 that's included, it's supposed to be used in a way to disable the vehicle after a few well-placed shots, but if the vehicle armor is increased against AT, those anti-material rifles would also have less effect right? Maybe the game allows armor ratings for certain vehicle components to be increased and others decreased? Such as lowering armor rating for wheels and engines, but increase body armor. I know in-game you can achieve varied levels of damage to certain parts of vehicle, like disabled tracks or main guns, so why wouldn't this be a possible technique?

2) Weapon sights I think would look much better than the solid-black or non-existant. The sights used by the Marine Pack are very good, but do they cause lag or too large of file size?

3) I think that the suggestions about lowering tank/APC crew ability to hear but increase ability to see is a nice method, but only when unbuttoned (turned out). I like the idea of sneaking up to a tank as in real life without it seeing or hearing me when I am using stealth, and it also gives good reason for APC groups to use their dismounts more realistically.

4) Since WGL and COC are so closely working together, I am sure that anyone who uses WGL will also be using COC's UA for full effect. I also know that a lot of the WGL effects are being integrated by UA, and that WGL is using a lot of help from COC to make them both work together like Salt & Pepper. Maybe some of the other groups out there should take a closer look at this and consider doing the same, producing addons or releasing configs for existing addons that marry themselves with the WGL system. Trust me, WGL is worth it's bytes in gold. And without having addons we love compatible, it makes us have to choose. And I hate having to goober-rig some new config files just to use another addon, shouldn't have to if the addon makers can do it for us. Come on guys...PLEASE?  rock.gif

5) Ammo reloading bug...maybe someone can look into the units that are part of the current WGL system, and make a reload script? I'm no scripter, but I do know how do make this one. Just not how to actually code it. Just have the script check for nearest vehicle that uses reloads. Once it has determined nearest vehicle class, counted the remaining ammo, it then knows how many rounds to reload. The script would have a reload time delay, and would only start when called for by trigger or radio command. Something to prevent a lot of lag, but not too hard. Just need to write in script how many rounds each vehicle carries when full, so it can't "overload" the vehicle. What do the rest of you think, and who thinks they can make this one? It would have to be updated with each new WGL update that includes new vehicles or crew weapons, but I think WGL can handle updating it and including it with their patch. Just an idea, but would help a LOT. Hell, maybe even as part of the script you can have the driver of the reload truck get out and "load" the ammo with some animation?

I think that will do for now, see what everyone else thinks. And I look forward to all comments, good and not-so-bad. tounge_o.gif

Well first of all i must say that i find this to be a great mod, since i love realism , and so does my friends that i play with.

But, theres some real issues , alot of us get lost sound , i mean while playing , no sound at all , while teamspeak is still generating sound .. for some of us .. the computer reboots .. for no aparent reason , yes i know (check your computer lamer, update winmoose and blablabla) but thats not the case. All other mods run just fine , finnish defence forces was the mod that we found to be the  "best" before this , .. so it feels rather crappy that when we find THE mod , something has to go wrong . I've been searching the forums but well , if you find a hit in this post , well you know i dont want to go thru 700+ hehe smile_o.gif I removed the high texture skies in hope that it was thoose that made the trouble, but ah well , some mod is making this not work for some reason , and it annoys me .. because i want to enjoy this fine package and so does my friends that i play with .

update: winxp, radeon card, the crash not being mission specific, the loss of sound can come at any time, but i think it happens most of the time for people when heavy explosions is in, has happened on both sblive and audigy and yes ONLY with this mod. Crashes can happen at any time though it just reboots, havent had this problem with ofp earlier. Just feel its a shame since this is a great mod, please someone who can point me in the right direction.

edit: btw how can you not love seeing your machinegunner taking out a bmp smile_o.gif

first all i can say is WOW!

Me and my buddy just spent over 7 hours testing this and we both wont put it down. great work all of it. any chance for WP grenades, CS grenades, or Flashbangs for urban combat?

Again great work, now that i have had my break i am going back to try it some more.

Well, it's been installed and tested on my system now. I hear a lot of people complaining about how crappy this mod is in SP...WTF??? I just spent the last 5 HOURS in the mission editor, and it kicks ass! And I haven't even got to play MP yet!

Yes, there is some homework involved before you can just jump right in and play. You must read the documentation before making your own missions, and it wouldn't hurt to read it immediately after the install. This is a lot more "complex" than the original game. You asked for a SIM, you got it. biggrin_o.gif

Keep it up, can't wait for more updates. And to all addon makers....MAKE YOUR STUFF COMPATIBLE WITH WGL!!!

Ok my views -

Damage and ballistics - 5 rounds to kill a guy is not acceptable. A T72 should not be taken out by 25 rounds from a 12.7mm machine gun. Fire a FFAR and it creates a 6 metre crater, however the smoke created does not represent this. Maybe soldier's can be made very very vulnerable so small craters are still lethal etc.

WGl claims it's a realism mod as does FDF. How come the WGL recoil on the M16 is like a super soaker and recoil on FDF is quite signifigant?

FDF makes the experience more difficult as you have to aim carefully and fire lethal aimed single shots to kill enemies, WGL makes the experience more difficult by making the enemy all world renowned marksman and bloody impossible to kill.

The earl and suchey marines weapons taught us this - Super duper realism weapons that fire 600 rounds per minute with 0 dispersion are bloody unpleasant in the hands of Johnny AI. Weapons in OFP cannot just be made based on real life data, they need to be balanced between AI use and Player use. Rifles need to have challenge in firing adopted into OFP, as basically there is quite a lot different between firing a rifle and moving your mouse cursor around and clicking. FDF got rifles down to a fine art, it feels good to punch off a few rounds.

Also the reinforcement and CAS scripts that usually aren't used - I would suggest removing them from standard loadouts as well as sidearms - AI is stupid with sidearms and most infantry soldiers do not carry them.

Secondary explosions - Ok, 2 maybe 3 explosions spread out is enough, 7 in a row is bad, especially as it chucks out shrapnel and kills CPU, it's also quite noisy making comms difficult.

Also sounds are a whole other issue, in my opinion they all need to be lowered so ambient sounds are actually audible, currently if you want to hear footsteps and wind you are going to have a cardiac arrest as soon as someone fires a rifle.

Just wanted to pop in here and let you guys know that work marches on for a number of things. We're a bit overwhelmed with a number of new projects and real life obligations at the moment, plus suffering with a little bit of burn-out just to make things interesting.  Everyone in WG appreciates the nice comments, praise, and criticism from all of ya. Overall I'm happy to see people giving a shit about the mod enough to comment on it and not just let it linger away.

Jinef you should be well aware that the mod wasn't originally designed with lots of thought towards how AI should work. Our basic concept was, back then, just make sure AI didn't completely NOT work, and it was acceptable for MP. After the release of 4.10 with 4.11 we decided to start caring about AI a bit more, stopped calling it MP only by fixing and enhancing a lot of AI stuff, and started looking at ways to improve their compatibility and "fun factor" in coming releases.

I think (as usual) that AI could be tweaked for accuracy a tad but I'm generally happy with how they perform. The problem, as we saw it, before was simply that the game of OFP wasn't really in line with the simulator we'd rather be playing. One of the reasons was that most coop missions involved taking a small force of uber-soldiers and throwing 10:1 odds of Mentally Challenged AI vs. Players which generally resulted in about as much fun as mowing down trotting civilians on Desert Island. I'm happy that now if you can think smart and either avoid a larger force, or setup an ambush or use combined arms, you can still eliminate the other AI quickly. But the threat of being cut down by well trained AI now is enough to put the fear o' God in ya and makes ya think twice about just running around like Rambo.

The sounds are being further tweaked as usual. Cook-off fx we're fairly happy with, though I think in the future the script will be a bit more dynamic in terms of how it decides how much ammo to blow up. Right now it's a generalized random number and type of ammo. We have some working prototypes of the system that scans the ammo and cooks off any remaining over a 5 minute period, including stuff like .50cal and 25mm.

I'm not a big fan of messing with the dispersion of weapons until they don't reward good shooters. AI can be dialed-in with their own dispersion which is fine, but I like to keep the weapons nice and accurate for players. Recoil FX were developed with the same thought process, and we consulted with a good many soldiers to develop what we have. With that being said, we're actually looking at some new ways to handle dispersion, stamina, and different bullet ballistics. If all goes well (which it never does, admittedly) then we may be onto some sweet new systems that escew from the normal "jack up dispersion" model.

Oh yeah, 5.56 and 5.45 bullet damage is fine. It's been researched, cleared by professionals, and won't be changed. Sorry.

New types of grenades.... We're working on it! We have Thermite and WP grenades in the works. CS grenades would be pretty easy but ultimately not very useful since if you're close enough to throw one at someone, wouldn't you just use a regular grende and be done with it? Hehe. Flashbangs would be easier still, but again, same issue. Plus OFP is really shitty at doing interior simulations (i.e. inside buildings) so frankly we try to stay out of buildings. But yeah, there's new types of grenades coming, so look out!!

Weapons sights... We're not using the Marine Pack weapon sights right now simply because it's an incomplete pack and frankly my own weapon sights, if made to be alongside Earl's, would look out of place. Hehe. We would still need, and this is going from memory.... PKM, M240, M60, Trijicon Reflex M4. I can't remember if there were more. But anyways, I do like Earl's stuff and we're looking for a better way to do the ironsights in future packs, like everything else, as realistically as possible.

Whoever said the HMMWV wheel armor should be increased, what did you increase it to? Sounds like a good change.

Simba... CSLA stuff would be fantastic for the russian side. I've talked to them, they don't mind if we use it, so when we have time we'll be replacing the russian goods with their kit. I do love CSLA's stuff. Rocket smoke will be made darker and grayer. I've seen some new vids and you're indeed correct. Volume of the firing sound will also be increased, apparently they're quite loud when you fire them and right now they're nearly silent. As for explosions, I'll let our man Phaeden deal with that since he's seen all that stuff firsthand. Hehehe.

Anyways, like I was saying... Thanks for all the input, we do value it and value the opinions of the community. Ultimately if the community thinks it sucks, sure we can play it by ourselves but that's not much fun. We're working as usual on a number of things, probably too much for the 3 of us, and will be continuing to refine our stuff because, well, we're never happy and always diddling. Hehe.

I can't give a date for the next release quite yet. I think we are going to release a very small patch to fix couple of small (but highly annoying) MP issues with the WP. This should be out in the next week or so for sure. Beyond that we're currently looking at the future and what we want to release and when we have time to work on it. Titan still needs to be finished, WG5 needs to be finished, and we all have to leave our houses once in a while. So as we sort all this out you guys will know about it! Sit tight, and thanks again!

I think (as usual) that AI could be tweaked for accuracy a tad but I'm generally happy with how they perform. The problem, as we saw it, before was simply that the game of OFP wasn't really in line with the simulator we'd rather be playing. One of the reasons was that most coop missions involved taking a small force of uber-soldiers and throwing 10:1 odds of Mentally Challenged AI vs. Players which generally resulted in about as much fun as mowing down trotting civilians on Desert Island.

You're being unfairly biased, some people like 10:1 odds and others like 1:10, or 1:1. What is fun for you can be boring for others and vice versa.

Quote[/b] ]The sounds are being further tweaked as usual.
How about starting with BIS sound levels? They are much more consistent than what you have in 411. blues.gif
Quote[/b] ] Cook-off fx we're fairly happy with, though I think in the future the script will be a bit more dynamic in terms of how it decides how much ammo to blow up. Right now it's a generalized random number and type of ammo. We have some working prototypes of the system that scans the ammo and cooks off any remaining over a 5 minute period, including stuff like .50cal and 25mm.
I have a script which checks ammo and does differnt cook off effects with them depending on some pre-configgured ammo types. If you want to see it you know where to find me. Basically it actually explodes the different ammo at different rates depending on which ammo it is. (so you keep the hit sound effects)
Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah, 5.56 and 5.45 bullet damage is fine. It's been researched, cleared by professionals, and won't be changed. Sorry.

Obviously the main problem is how AI reflects being immobilized by them, it doesn't. Hopefully there is way to handle that, like play some animations on the AI when they are hit. rock.gif

Just thought i'd give ya a hard time. I use WGL all the time and I like it a lot like I said, but htere are some small issues. One other thing is the noise of the chopper startup, it is much too loud, I'm sure Jinef can testify to that.

Hi

I am working on a WGL-Mission at the moment but I have the problem that there is no possibility to put a mortar into a ammo box. (I placed a mortar out of the editor on the map and now I want to load it with the ammo out of the ammo box)

Thats what I tried:

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60W",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60WMag",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60WPMag",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60HE",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60PF",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60WP",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60PFMag",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar60W_PDM",20]

_ammocrateid addMagazinecargo ["WGMortar60WP_PDM",20]

But nothing works .... is there somebody who got the same problem and fix it ?

thanks CA

I think you are adding the ammo, however whether you can pick it up or not is a different matter - you need to pick up a mortar tube to allow you to have this possibility.

CA, use the PDM dummies for mortar rounds in ammo crates. In other words, use one of these nine magazine names:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

// 60 mm M224 rounds

WGL_Mortar60W_PDM

WGL_Mortar60WP_PDM

WGL_Mortar60PF_PDM

// 81 mm M29 rounds

WGL_Mortar81W_PDM

WGL_Mortar81WP_PDM

WGL_Mortar81PF_PDM

// 82 mm 2B14 rounds

WGL_Mortar82E_PDM

WGL_Mortar82WP_PDM

WGL_Mortar82PF_PDM

Example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

mycrate addMagazinecargo ["WGL_Mortar82E_PDM", 20]

FDF makes the experience more difficult as you have to aim carefully and fire lethal aimed single shots to kill enemies, WGL makes the experience more difficult by making the enemy all world renowned marksman and bloody impossible to kill.

The earl and suchey marines weapons taught us this - Super duper realism weapons that fire 600 rounds per minute with 0 dispersion are bloody unpleasant in the hands of Johnny AI. Weapons in OFP cannot just be made based on real life data, they need to be balanced between AI use and Player use. Rifles need to have challenge in firing adopted into OFP, as basically there is quite a lot different between firing a rifle and moving your mouse cursor around and clicking. FDF got rifles down to a fine art, it feels good to punch off a few rounds.

I think you nailed it there. Agree.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but where can I find a list of ammo names?

One other dumb question is how do I add ammo to a static weapon (such as a 60mm mortar)

thank you.