Sign in to follow this  
AngusHeaf

Wargames addpak 4.0 released

np! you are welcome CptCox!

BTW: I added the files of this new seatexture pack to the wgl folder where the hisky stuff is located with ver.4 then i forgot about them and after i installed the update to 4.1 it included the new seatextures automatically with it... ;)

the water looks nice with desert island or tropical islands... although this turquoise colour looks odd with the more northern/rocky coastal areas...

Alrighty, I have played this addon pack and my god, I love it.  However, for the sake of the Wargames league squad matches, do you guys plan to release a Desert Version of your addons, and also a Winter version?

You could make it a "Wargames League Expansion pack"

This would REALLY REALLY make me enjoy squad matches.

Besides, with all the Winter and Desert addons available it's hard to keep track, and most online Muliplayer does'nt involve winter or desert anything.  It's all woodland.

I think it would be great if people could have a solid addon pack that contains solid addons, with all Woodland Desert and Winter settings. and I think Wargames is the trick for this to happen.

Often times I get bored of the same old grassy green location...and when I see the troops in Iraq with all their desert tanks I want to be involved, in unfortunately OFP is as close as I can get.

Wargames you did a great job, people love this stuff, believe me Russin in my RN squad never shuts up about your pack  tounge_o.gif  I don't blame him.  Don't fix something that aint broke, but build on it.  This pack has some enormous potential.  Keep on trucking.

p.s.  I see my favorite SpecOps are in this addon pack ;)

Lovely

I have the feeling this is just the beggining of something VERY special for OFP. -OFP2 Info Center

smile_o.gif

When I try to run the mortar mission packed with the game I get no entry "config.bin/cfgvehicles.WGL_BMP". Ive reinstalled the mod but no luck, this is using the full install, I didnt have a previous version on there.

Guest Hitman[SWAF]
p.s has the weapon problem been fixed?  I remember when it took 7 M16 shots to take down a enemy sad_o.gif

Yup.

Where did you get that "yup" from? You changed the damage values?

Just for clarity's sake...

No weapon damages for small arms (assault rifles, and machine guns) were changed between 4.0 and 4.10. In fact they haven't changed since about, 3.0 or maybe 3.01 which was the last big adjustment we made back when people complained about the bullet strengths and a lot of testing did indeed show that the 5.56 was too weak (or was it that armor was too strong, one of those). We changed it at that point after a lot of input from players to where it remains today. We updated the M82's .50cal IHR a bit so that it was far more reliable (in killing unlucky chumps).

If the question is "was it changed between 4.0 and 4.10" then the answer is no. It is also highly doubtful that we will be changing the damage values and armor values for a future release since we've already addressed the issue once at length.

For anyone that's interested in the discussion I would point you to this forum topic...

http://www.squadengine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=415&st=0

For anyone that cares to see how the bullet perform, I would point to you this video produced graciously by Rock [RR] that dispells any rumor or exaggeration about the bullets...

ftp://the-citadel.us/anon/rock/rubberbullets.wmv

this addon pack is incredible, i just want to tell the WGL people that one more person is addicted to their mod

i love the realism (and REALLY love gaia, it looks and feels just like new england), just wanted to submit some problems i've been having or ideas for improvements:

i cant seem to get the mortars to work, i get an error everytime i try to attach the tube thing to the stand. i select "Mount Tube on Base" and then get this message:

"_mortar = nearestobject... Error: 0 elements provided 3 expected"

when i try to use a preassembled mortar and select "Fire Control" from the action menu it gives me another error:

"Resource DigMortar not found"

and then an "ERROR!" hint pops up

for gaia:

some of the bridges don't line up correctly for me (the one found at 010 095 for example); i figured out that this was because i had my terrain detail set to "normal." when i set it to "very low" the bridges lined up perfectly. idk if you knew about that or not.

i know this might be nitpicking, but calling bases/towns names like "Camp BumpNGrynd," "Spoonerville," "John," "Los Mingus," "Port Squid Dog," or "Anderson" really detracts from the realism found in the rest of the island. i can even overlook names like "Casa del Phaeden" or "Mt. Mithra," but when a town is named just "John" it ruins the atmosphere for me (and probably for other people too). i'm not tryin to force you to do anything, i just think that the island is of too high a calibur to have such ridiculous names.

when i open gaia in the mission editor, it gives me an error:

"Cannot open object "data3d/plot_green_vrat_r.p3d"

it works fine after that though, so its a minor issue

the seasons are messed up for gaia (at least for me), in january its bright at 6:30 AM, while in the summer its pitch black at 7:30 AM.

just want to finish up by restating how great the addons are, especially gaia

Pablo, we appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that your are happy with the MOD.

With regards to Gaia town names, I named a lot of the towns after gents in my squad. USMC WARRIORS. I had received some similar feedback in the past and never remembered to alter any of the names. The next island we will be releasing (Titan) has more appropriately named towns.

As for the bridges, that was done intentionally - I had to decide where to place things, and I figured I would reach the largest audience by using the least computer intensive setting. They are all designed to play at VERY LOW settings.

Someone mentioned INQ's weapons.... I'm tired so I don't remember if it was this thread or another, but something about using INQ's weapons instead of ours. Well, the bad news is no, you can't use INQ's weapons with our pack. The good news is, you can't use them because we already do!! Hah!

INQ's weapons replace about 80% of the stuff in WG already. The difference? We use PAA/PAC textures (bet you couldn't tell!) so that his pack is no longer plagued with godawful lag. It took me a few days to convert all of them and repath the sonsofbitches but I think it was worth it. They're a lot of great CS ports and whatnot and I think they go great in OFP and are actually correctly sized. Heh! Shocker!!

Hope that answered someone's question.... Someone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Many coops now when you die you get a black screen, and never come out. Players actually need to close OFP because they cannot see the menus or anything. How this escaped bug testing is beyond me but this is worse than the no sound bug unfortunately.

Hope you guys can correct it, cheers.

It wasn't the case in 4.00 right? We will get it squared away and since it seems pretty annoying and widespread we can release a very small patch. Since the scripts that control that stuff are all part of the very small wglevents pbo it shouldn't be a problem to get a 200kb patch out.

suggestion RE black screen n no buttons

if the black screen of death is made by a bitmap pic can it be resized to just cover the view part of the screen and thus show the buttons? smile_o.gif

edit: or be given a transparent edge over the buttons and thus achieve the same result?

I just found that bug tonight after doing a little bug hunting for angus. It gave me horrible flashbacks to another mp mod I did, where the BSOD bug happened about 1/100 deaths. Hard to track down. smile_o.gif

I blame ofp and it's netcode for that one.

In this case, it should be pretty simple to fix. And, hell, with a trigger or two, I have it fixed already...

And it's not a picture, it's the OFP black out. Meaning, if you black in, it gets fixed.

In sp, when you hit escape during a fade out, you get a menu. In mp, you don't get that menu. I wish bis would fix it, because as was said, there is one main way around it: alt f4. The slightly more difficult way is to hit escape, then try to click on "abort" while blinded. smile_o.gif

Challenge, yes. Stupid, yes. smile_o.gif

Fun, maybe.

Other than that, I'm starting to like the pack. A few bugs need to be hammered out, esp when AI try to loot corpses when they run out of ammo. That causes the fun bug where ofp completely freezes. Not to scare you guys, but if you get a random OFP crash, that's the very very very likely culprit, and angus is working on it.

I hope.

...angus? smile_o.gif

[...]when people complained about the bullet strengths and a lot of testing did indeed show that the 5.56 was too weak (or was it that armor was too strong, one of those). [...]

http://www.squadengine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=415&st=0

For anyone that cares to see how the bullet perform, I would point to you this video produced graciously by Rock [RR] that dispells any rumor or exaggeration about the bullets...

ftp://the-citadel.us/anon/rock/rubberbullets.wmv

"when"?? people still are complaining, i wrote a massive post before but windows crashed and now i cant be arsed to rewrite it all, so a short version:

as my video demonstrates, contrary to your video (makes you wonder doesnt it?) you can take multiple hits and keep going on, I even suggested a more "balanced" value on your forums which was dismissed right away... a value that wasnt that much stronger than your current value, yet made a world of a difference. you say your values are realistic and that those of you that are ex-US marines validated it... but then have you shot or been shot yourselfs? right now you say "lot of input from players to where it remains today" yet those "alot" are all from 2-3 squads, thats hardly a broad choice. I know for a fact that theres alot of people in my squad who wont even touch WGL now because of the rifles... you would do more damage by throwing the rifles at the enemy!

You say the addons were originally for the league, yet you ignore those who were in the league apart from a few. Its not realistic and its not fun, and if i may be honest you are being swayed by "fanbois" (i shall mention no names, as we have one such in our own squad) while the rest suffer.

Its a shame as the rest of the pack is excelent, the rifles are a severe let down.

an answer to your video: link

edit: since i have already had Shashman dispute the clip, i recorded a 2nd one

clip 2 (.wmv)

clip 2 (.avi DivX)

Well as far as Im concerned the weapons balance works for me. I played deathmatch for about 2 hours last night using 4.10 and many people died many a death. I think the difference in this pack is you can get wounded instead of immediately getting picked off. I was taking down targets at 2-400 meters no problem with a head shot. Body shots are tougher because of ....what do they call it?rock.gif body armor maybe. I like the balance of the weapons. I also have no problems with the death screen. The heart beat.. the blackout etc all works perfect. The hardest part is when your wounded and your fading in and out but your still conscious... crawl towards that bugger that got you..... throw that last grenade...... fade away in peace  smile_o.gif

Phaeden does the helo prop wash effect on inf work in SP or MP only? Couldnt seem to get it to work in SP

NNNNNooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!! sad_o.gif

Damage is right ..... the Coop "Black Screen bug" is worse than the "Sound Bug" ............... sad_o.gif

Plz plz plz plz plz fix smile_o.gif

As a temporary fix to the black screen, set up a trigger to detect the player's death and titleCut in.  Example:

Trigger activated repeatedly

condition: !alive player

activation: [] exec "respawnfix.sqs"

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;; respawnfix.sqs

;; wait a second then fade back in

~1

titleCut ["","BLACK IN",0.5]

exit

Another thing. You can set WGLRespawn = false in init.sqs to turn it off in your mission. This should be in the tech manual. Can't check on that right now.

There is no internal sound when driving the M2A2.

There is no internal sound when driving the M2A2.

Sure there is. It's just quieter.

Acid... Your "makes you wonder" doesn't make me wonder. But it certainly does make me laugh. There's no global WG conspiracy. No WGRRUSMC Illuminati.

You can think what you want, and arguing with you certainly isn't going to dissuade you from either your point or your continued posts and now maybe some flamebaiting and conspiracy theorizing. The other thread has in it numerous explanations to the contrary of your position, by both myself and others. The thread about WG3.0 about the 5.56 rounds was probably 10 pages long and had participants from DK, RR, USMC, SWAF, RN, 1/8th, QSF, and a few public folks, and in the wake of that we made adjustments in the very next patch.

Nothing is going to make you happy short of including your fixes and then saying "Acidcrash, you know what, you were right!". I dare venture a guess that no amount of acknowledgement that your points are being heard, but not agreed with, is going to make you happier. I'm not sure what to say in this situation other than being truthful about the my standpoint...

I'm happy with the damages, the vast majority of people I talk to personally are happy with the damages, and I don't agree with your arguments. We're both firm in our beliefs. The difference is that I've already made some trade-offs and considered lots of people's opinions in doing so while you are holding strong carrying the banner for all the silent masses who secretly hate the bullets. That's fine. I won't waste your time or mine. The bullets aren't going to be adjusted any further. If you don't like the bullets now and you don't enjoy playing WG then by all means if the bullet damage is a deal-breaker then play any of the hundreds of great addons this community continues to release on almost a daily basis. And I'm sorry if WG couldn't be all you thought it could be if you were in fact making it.

I will touch on the "rubber bullets" yet again as well.  We honestly do value all input that we receive.  There are some individuals that are still bitter after there was some less than ideal handling of their complains with the release of 2.0 and 3.0.  In the interim, we have worked very hard to develop a system that listens to all responses we receive.  

We have thoroughly looked into the rubber bullet effect and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until we can't tweak no more.  Honestly, the values that are in there now still could do with a little tweaking to ensure that every aspect is perfect (especially with how bullets interact with vehicles (damn HMMWV wheels are built to run flat!!) - but within the limitations of OFP and releasing the MOD so that people can play it, the settings and values that are in the MOD right now are about as close as we can get.  

By no means are we saying or implying that your input is not valued and valid.  Your videos support your concern.  The main focus of the MOD is increased realism.  Some of the testing team of active and prior Marines (no such thing as an ex-Marine by the way) have been in combat and can attest to the damage ratings.  For those that have not been in combat, look for "graphic" video where you see firefights.  It is a rarity in combat to kill someone with 1 shot from an M16 (that is not what they were designed to do).  I can recall seeing a video on CNN: Presents about Combat throught the Generations, where there was a video of an Iraq battle.  In the battle, several Iraqis were firing AKs at a tank column.  The infantry that supported the column engaged the Iraqis with small arms (M16s primarily).  They shot someone twice before he even fell, and then had to shoot him two or three times more in the back after he fell before he quit moving - all of this and the Iraqi was only wearing a shirt and pants - no armor at all.

I can honestly understand the frustration that you may have when playing 4.1 because there is really only a small chance (head shot only) for a 1 shot kill.  If your squad is used to running around and engaging Rambo style, then there is a high frustration level.  Our emphasis was to really push squads and individuals (in SP) to work closely with the rest of their fireteam to provide realistic fire and maneuver tactics.  

In my opinion that is what this game was really designed for in the first place - "squad tactical military shooter" and not "individual with high skill shooter".  There are literally dozens of games that allow for Rambo style play - as far as I know, WGL 4.1 is the only complete true squad based play.  You really need to work in a team now to win in firefights.  The firefights are longer, more intense, allow time for maneuver, and tactical use of a medic.  

In the USMC Warriors USMC Warriors, we, a squad of REAL Marines, have had to reevaluate how we play OFP.  In the past, we could rely heavily on our best shooters to get the job done.  Now, we have to move and think like a team, just like real life.  If you doubt the shift towards real life think of this: in the real military, the majority of riflemen are only "average" shots.  They are not snipers, they are not even really good marksman.  They know how to generally get rounds in the right direction, but hitting something all the time does not happen too often (I am talking world-wide now).  Yet, all of these "Average" shots manage to win wars.  They do not do it as individuals.  They do it because of interlocking fields of fire, effective communication, suppress fire so some can flank or get in grenade range, etc., etc., etc.  Sure, you have individuals that win medals by risking it all for their team, but they are far and few between.  The average GI reacts with innaccurate but heavy fire.  

One way to help reproduce this real world effect was by limiting the amount of the weapon damage.  So please keep in mind we are after a more global change than 1 on 1 infantry combat.  If we allow for more powerful rounds, the need for teamwork is decreased.  

It is by no means a matter of having to empty a full magazine on one man.  No where close to anything like that.  

For those out there that are unwilling to adjust their play to make OFP a more realistic simulation, the only thing we can do is apologize that WGL did not meet their expectations, but we, again, are trying to emulate realistic real world combat.  We can only modify what OFP allows us to modify.  We can only change damage values and not change the "requirement" to work as a team any other way.  You will never see a squad of 8 or 12 men in a real combat zone working by themselves.  Never.  It simply will not happen.

So, we do appreciate your input.  But in order to stay true to the conversion to more realistic combat, we have to keep the damage values where they are (or very near where they are).  Altering them to inflict more damage decreases the need for "uniqeness" of WGL and will make WGL the same flavor as the vast majority of other MODs and addons already waiting for download.  As we say...

WarGames 4.1 - When Realism Matters

Sorry that the wglevents variables weren't in the tech manual, t'was an oversight. WGLRespawn will default to false in the future.

i have a small but as i see it important question.

WIL you implement more realistic sounds into WGL, this to improve realism (and to make it more fun)

i really miss this part as i can´t hear any differens between standard sounds and wgl sounds (exept vehicles and small arms)

In other news....

If anyone wants to know what the status of Titan is I've linked a screenshot below. Right now the terrain is done, and the ground textures are about 75% done. Tree location and planting is done. Rocks and bushes are about 10% done. What I'm working on right now is a new grass system that will cover large portions of the island. So far so good, and believe it or not, there's no framerate hit to speak of (maybe 1 or 2 less at the worst times).

wgl_titangrass_04.jpg