Sign in to follow this  
AngusHeaf

Wargames addpak 4.0 released

I'm a fan of the system as it is. It's not that difficult to punch in the numbers. Although it may be easier to have it auto-insert the azimuth but not the elevation. If it auto-inserted the elevation we'd have pinpoint accuracy which is not that fun. And I kind of like having to guestimate the elevation/range based on the computer's mathematics. It allows for a system of correcting fire after the first round hits because you can just go and add or subtract a number or two in range/elevation instead of doing the whole targeting process again.

I wasn't asking for spot on zero-ed in firing... just wondering if the dispersion level could be a tad lower - when you call round out and its a good splash the observer calls for effect and you then go to town.

Also... any ideas on SMOKE rounds?

@adding innacuracy - I wasn't asking to tune the system down. Just an option that would change the dispersion a bit for an effect based fire after you have a good zero.

From my personal experience firing the mortars quite a bit (I love them as much or more than the next guy) I think I would say there's a good 20-25m dispersion on rounds at max range. I think it's a pretty good amount so that if you were to FFE with say 3 rounds the spread is suitable for point targets. However, I think the best way to FFE on wider area targets is probably to change the azimuth value to various degrees. You can usually add, say, 10, fire, remove 20, fire, etc. For more interesting types of FFE it takes a little bit of skill at changing both AZ and EL to reach the desired effect. Therein lies some of the skill. Hehehe.

What I would like to see added to the dialog though, is a way to store plots in the true mortarman style. I'm a total mortar nerd so when I'm on mortar duty I actually get out a pad of paper, a calculator, and a pen. But it would be nice if there were a way to assign an alphanumeric string to a set of coordinates for easy retrieval and insertion into the mortar's dialog.

EDIT: Smoke? What shell would you like to see added exactly?

@Smoke - basically a smoke round... I know from my experience I have seen a smoke round dropped on the field and it lasted about 2 - 3 minutes before it became translucent.

Any TM or FM around to learn how to plot? Or do you guys add it to the WGL Handbook (the .pdf already included has a very nice design BTW)

I mean, how do i do calculate the stuff myself (with pen&paper)?

Just letting the computer calculate for me isnt that fun...

I really think that the wgl mod must release a new better version for their funs... sad_o.gif

I really think that the wgl mod must release a new better version for their funs... sad_o.gif

Good idea!

Good idea!

the sarcasm reading is off the scale! wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Any news on that Manual? also would it include things like Config entries and as such?

The tecnical manual is being reviewed right now (translation = it is done) for mistakes and anything I left out.

It wont be long now (translation = probably today)

RELEASE IS IMMINENT !!!

We've been busting our humps to get the new patch out and tonight we are undertaking the final testing to make sure we've covered all we can cover in the amount of time we have. Much like our many unique features, WarGames also is unique in that we have deadlines to meet for the WarGames League that now depends heavily on the addons. So I can tell you all that the release will be sometime in the next 12-18 hours.

Here's all the things we've fixed or adjusted. The list below is directly from our WG Dev forum so I apologize for the possibly lack of clarity. The "formal" list of bugs fixed will be prepared just before release but it will basically be this list cleaned up a bit. You get the idea....

If there's anything you don't see addressed in this list let us know. But also keep in mind that we're only 3 guys and we did all this stuff in only 11 days. Thanks!!

+ New version checking system (no more updating mission.sqm after this time!)

+ Technical Manual version 1 finished (90 pages)

+ AI behave "smarter"

+ AI engage more like humans with more human-like accuracy

+ AI can now use rucksacks through userActions, scriptless

+ AI American machine gunners should engage at proper ranges

+ AI can aim all AT weapons properly without us changing AT speeds

+ Lower AIDispersion on vehicle mounted MGs

+ Engage ranges tuned for AI considerably

+ AT4 should be less wobbly

+ Using radio triggers "drop" animation

+ Sound not returning after dying (aka Sound Bug)

+ P3D error when not using HW T&L D3D mode, discovered source

+ MON-200 no detonation at end of timing sequence (see next item fixed)

+ Place a claymore or mon-200 on the ground missing script error

+ 'Spawn where I died syndrome' especially when dying inside a tank

+ Killed FX on soldiers not being triggered (Tact's fault, for once)

+ BIN the resource.cpp file

+ Change turning radius for A10 and Su25

+ No more destruction FX on static weapons

+ WGLEvents init improved

+ Missing optics on unknown AK SD weapon (they all seem to check out..)

+ Missing editor (and maybe ingame) icon for DsHK

+ Changed "OK, I'm Good To Go" to "OK, Good To Go" to fit space

+ Removed the need for adding "WGL_Put" and "WGL_Throw" in a reload script

+ HMMWV death animation not working, inheriting from wrong class

+ Set radar scan range for aircraft and sams to be equal (1000/5000)

+ Converted all sounds to .wss

+ Set choppers maxspeed in config to limit AI max flight speed (confirmed working)

+ CTD when picking up an M60 or other primary and secondary sized weapons

+ Adjust mortar H/IH/IHR to be a bit more realistic (less powerful)

+ Adjust Mk82 and GBU12 to be a bit larger in radius (120m vs. 100)

+ Soldiers knocked down by rotorwash can no longer get back up

+ Adjusted helo airspeed limits

+ Resistance BTR-80 had BIS crew

+ Adjust tracer color for west (too orange)

+ Track down problem with red and green smoke grenades (too thick, wrong fx)

+ Confirm start-up sounds working on choppers now that config uses a global WGL_AudioDummy class

+ Remove rotate actions for TOW launcher

+ T55 ATGM uncontrollable

+ moved all sounds to wgl_sounds, reconfigged wgl_wep and wgl_veh configs, cut out all unused sounds saving us some mb's

+ All known missing gear pics (and more) fixed

+ Fixed crash on FIA-I AT Gunner (gear overload)

+ Make hellfires IR locking (both direct and indirect after much thought)

+ Convert AGS17 and Mk19 back to firing explosive rounds (needs testing)

+ Vehicle smoke grenade locality issues (fixed, but needs MP testing)

+ Weird sky-rocket fx on handguided missiles at very long ranges (minimized with new simulationstep)

+ Hit FX for AI: skill temporarily nullified

+ All troops better at searching, airborne and special forces troops are even better

+ RPO-A FX done, and weapon targets infantry. Made a "Flame Thrower" troop

+ Formation distance for most troops is now 8m, 10m for special forces

+ Check WGLevents to make sure it's not truncating fx for mk19 and ags17 via distance

+ wep_config cleaned up

+ Disabled destroyedFX on BIS static MG class

+ Made tank shells act like shells again (not bullets) and introduced new tracers for shells

+ Scripting to lock pilot and gunner in helicopters flying over 10m

+ Fixed irScanRange for all vehicles

+ Added radar for attack helicopter gunners

+ Allow Hellfires to lock on IR

+ Minor adjustments to camouflage, audible values, mine deactivation, body hiding for infantry

+ BMP-1 added, BMP-series weapons changed

+ Gave Su25 proper WGL AGM launcher and added Su25 cannon to wglevents FX

+ Added speculative 16in. battleship HE shell: "WGL_16inchHC"

+ IFV's no longer target infantry with AP autocannon ammo

+ Russian OFFICER class has regular AK74 Mags in his ruck (should be ASK74U Mags instead)

+ Erratic behaviour on long-range ATGMs fixed (sacrificing some guidance at ranges beyond 1500m)

+ IFV's starting overfilled with magazines

+ AI IFV's should engage with ATGMs at longer ranges

+ Redid dispersion (accuracy) for all assault rifles

+ Redid dispersion for all machine guns (man and vehicle)

+ Redid dispersion for all auto-cannons on vehicles

+ Fixed 82mm russian mortar eating proximity rounds but not firing them

+ Fixed magazine drop locality issue

+ Removed dependancy on addon classes in WGL_Veh_Config

+ Cleaned vehicle, weapon, and men configs considerably

+ Made cfgWorld superclasses so people can use our MILGRID system on their islands

+ Setup new editor groups (WGL - Vehicles Armored, etc)

+ BMP-1P now uses AT-5

+ BMP-2 now uses AT-5

+ BMP-1 with new combat load of 73mm and now with AT-3

+ Repair cfgPatches in all _config addons

+ All sounds have been reevaluated for volume, though because there's literally hundreds of them we may have missed a couple that are still too low or too loud

+ New installer that isn't as junky as the old one and allows more options and better installs

+ HMMWV M2 and Mk19 now include the hatch when rotating the turret

+ Many weapons now in faster binarized format and smaller file size

+ Forward Observers compatible with future UA releases

+ Spotters now carry radios

+ Ranger Team Leader no longer causes CTD because of too much inventory

+ Helo missile online/offline now correctly offlines missiles if going too fast backwards

oh yes!... now i can fix up a couple of misions again biggrin_o.gif

thanks for these bug fixes, although i cant say i have seen so many of them even thogh i´m currently using a really LOW end macine ;) changing that tomorrow i hope biggrin_o.gif

+ Forward Observers compatible with future UA releases

I think they're compatible with the current UA release too, I haven't tried it. We also bribed Dinger into adding our radios to the next UA's radio bridge biggrin_o.gif

now THAT is good news smile_o.gif

i love WGL and i love UA, combining them makes the best infantry simulation with the best arty simulation biggrin_o.gif

now this makes room for some nice missions smile_o.gif

RELEASE IS IMMINENT !!!

WoooHooo i hope it is tommorow (my birthday lol) wooow a lot of fixes your the best lol. im making a small campaign which is on Everon with your units lol go WGL.

Anybody making WGL 4.0+ maps of ANY KIND please feel free to email them to me or post links here for downloading.

I'll get the maps placed on The Citadel, post links to them in the league forums, etc etc etc.

Share please!!!

unclesam.gif

chaos@rocksraiders.com

I'm really happy for the new release !

I hope that it'll be better than the first blues.gifwink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

and I hope that we can play campaigns or solo missions with their effects without bugs !

and don't forget to translate because i have ofp in french but it writes bad letters when it's in french or spanich crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

good luck gentlem and thanks for those realistic effects !!!

and don't forget to translate because i have ofp in french but it writes bad letters when it's in french  or spanich crazy_o.gif

and german  wink_o.gif

We're going to get rid of the stringtable updates (updates to the words used in game) because of too many bugs. We will revisit it again in the future when we redo the OFP interface and have more time to look into the problems.

Good to hear, I never really saw the purpose of the stringtable updates... more distracting if anything.

Keep up the good work!

We had tried to give OFP a facelift, but we never finished it in time. As Angus has stated, we may revisit it once we have more time. The "new words" were just the first step, but, alas, it is not to be for now.

As for the patch and technical manual, they are both in final review - kind of in a "Charlie" stage (after Alpha and Beta you see), and will be released very soon.