Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

How old r u?

I'm 18 something.. well at least that's my mental picture of my age. biggrin_o.gif Unfortunately the calender does not agree with my mental picture. It says that I'm 26...  mad_o.gif  wink_o.gif

I'm 18 something.. well at least that's my mental picture of my age. biggrin_o.gif Unfortunately the calender does not agree with my mental picture. It says that I'm 26...  mad_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Oh the kids these days wink_o.gif

I'm 33 in May smile_o.gif

37 with a 15 year old daughter

33 this year.

29 - since almost two years  

I'm 31

I saw my 31st years as we are in 2004

I'm 32 years young.

I'm 33 in May  

*sniff* I love you guys, you make me feel young biggrin_o.gif In my current work environment (university), I'm generally an old fart. It's great to see that there are actually older people than me in the world  wink_o.gif

I'm 24.73 and B.Sc. since mid-march (received certificate yesterday --german paper war wink_o.gif )...

*spends-virtual-champagne*

Cheers!

*sniff* I love you guys, you make me feel young biggrin_o.gif In my current work environment (university), I'm generally an old fart. It's great to see that there are actually older people than me in the world  wink_o.gif

LOL - I've worked and saved up points for my coming pension the last eighteen years - no, it's not a joke   biggrin_o.gif  

Baby boomers grow up to be computer gamers

And as the players become mature, so do the games

b04games.jpg

Gary Colburn, playing a World War II battle strategy game on the Internet, says he doesn't play computer games with his kids anymore, he plays with his grandkids.

By Peter Svensson / Associated Press

NEW YORK -- When the computer gamers get excited in her household, Lisa Ackerman's husband sometimes has to tell them to keep their voices down so he can watch television. Never mind that the gamers are Lisa, 46, and her 13-year-old son.

Their game of choice is "Half-Life: Counter-Strike," where they take the roles of commandos gunning down terrorists. Sometimes the mother-and-son commandos cooperate, and sometimes they compete -- not that mom is much of a challenge yet.

"He thinks I stink! I'll kill some people, and I'll be (saying) 'Yay!' -- while others have killed 25," Lisa said.

It might seem unusual for a middle-age woman to play "Counter-Strike," but baby boomer computer gamers aren't -- 40 percent of the most frequent PC game players are 35 or older, according to the Interactive Digital Software Association, a game industry group.

One reason the gaming population is now older is simply the gamers are aging, said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the software association. Computer games have been around for about 25 years, and many younger baby boomers encountered them during their formative teen years.

"As people who grew up in their teens playing games have moved into adulthood, they have continued to play games, and have integrated these games into their entertainment diet," Lowenstein said.

Gary Colburn, 57, started playing "Pong" with his children on an Atari console in the 1970s, and now plays games about two hours a day.

"I don't play with the kids anymore -- now it's the grandkids," said Colburn, of West Covina, Calif.

The another factor behind the aging of the gaming population is that the games are maturing as well.

"The games are now so sophisticated that they appeal to people much older," Lowenstein said. "If you see the extraordinary graphics capabilities and the artificial intelligence now built into games, the level of interactivity is far beyond what it's been before."

While many games sold today are action-oriented, some slower, more thoughtful games are succeeding in part because of their appeal to older gamers. Strategy games like "Civilization III" and "Black & White" are doing very well, and the popularity of social-engineering game "The Sims" transcends both age and gender.

The increasing complexity and richness of games might be pulling in some older players, but it can also alienate the less computer-savvy. The biggest successes among baby boomers might be relatively simple versions of card games and bingo available at many Web sites.

Of the 46 million people ages 35 to 54 in the United States that used the Internet in July, 11 million visited one of the top five gaming sites, according to comScore Networks Inc. The company measures Web audiences by tracking the surfing of 60,000 computer users in North America.

The 11 million baby boomers that visited the top five sites

spent an average of 313 minutes there during the month, a high rating for any kind of Web site.

However, few games are designed specifically with older gamers in mind, unless "older" is taken to mean "older than 18."

"I don't think anyone's ever told me they have a game directed towards 40-year-old players," said Schelley Olhava, gaming analyst at research company IDC.

The earth has circled the sun 18 times in my life time.

and i thought he was 670 years old ++ or something... biggrin_o.gif

Congrats smile_o.gif Ready for unemployment? tounge_o.gif

Nope, the B.Sc. was just an inbetweener. Next on: Dipl-Ing. (March next year). And then most likely Dr-Ing... (I like our institutes)

biggrin_o.gif

21 now, 22 in August.

Who admits not fitting into the numbered categories? ;)

31...currently in year 1 of Uni surrounded by 20 year olds  tounge_o.gif

Oh, and part of the 5.81% members of these forums who are in their prime of life biggrin_o.gif

How can you not fit into a category?

A good question. Let me point out that my sentence had the premodifier 'numbered' ...

Quote[/b] ]Im youngest here probably

[[>>>~~12~~<<<]]

if you are the youngest im the second youngest

-14- blues.gif

How can you not fit into a category?

Well, i'm 20,07 years old for example... 16-20? no. 21-25? no. smile_o.gif

The options should have "16-20", "20-25", etc. to cover all ages (except those exactly 20 years old for example but I doubt anyone votes at the exact second of their birthdate :P)

31 - at least I'm not the only 'old' one here...