Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

What grabs you most about a campaign/mission?

Ok, I have a project in the pipeline, it may become a mini-campaign, BUT, the problem with it is - the fighting will be nothing new, the only thing that this project has going for it is a new and interesting story, plus some character development, with a bit of irony and moral finger raised.

My question is - what makes you really want to play a mission? The promise of a hard fight? The promise of good cutscenes? Or is it a story that sounds interesting to you, where you want to complete the missions just to find out how the story ends?

Depending on this poll, I will either continue or abandon this project smile_o.gif

I voted "all of the above". That way, you'll have to work harder to put out your next piece of outstanding work. smile_o.gif

Just big fighting without a storyline isn't too interesting. But when u have good storyline player want to play it and know whats going to be next. It glows player into the game atmosphre as soap opera do tounge_o.gif

I think you're missing one important category, atmosphere. I started playing the Invasion 44 campaign. Amazing.

Paratrooping into the night and trying to find your buddies was awesome. The flash from flak going off gave me a glimpse of someone hiding in the bushes. Assuming it's a friendly, I walked up and whispered "George", instead of returning with "Marshall", he shouts in German and fires off a shot! With my heart racing, I quickly cap him.

Atmospheric and immersive missions are my favorite. biggrin_o.gif

All of the above, I'm busy with 2 campaigns myself. One using Australian Defence Force mod units and a second British one coming a while later.

edit 1: typos

I voted for other and I'm surprised most of you other guys didn't. I think the most overlooked thing in any user created mission/campaign is sound files to go with radio messages etc.

Nothing catches my attention more (in a negative way), than a mission without them.

Just thought I'd add my views.

I voted all as well. A good mission requires a little bit of everything, with the mission designer focusing on his/her artistic/ofp strengths.

@ The-Architect

Sound files are great, but consider this part of it:

There are those that don't have money to spend on voice actors and need more characters than they can find in their pool of "regular ofp friends".

Also, I've found that when getting a group of people to help from the community, you get the help and sound files you need but at the cost of waiting a few months and having them vary as far as quality. (which is mostly unavoidable, what with everyone's varying situations)

So IMO, good, in-depth voice samples for a bunch of characters usually adds months to the mission making process.

I speak from experience and hope that my experience in these matters changes, but there it is, that's how it's been for me and many other mission designers that I know.

Asmo

P.S. Even when working with large mod teams it can be hard getting voice actors together.

That`s really unfortunate and I do understand that it`s hard to get voice actors as it is hard to make a good campaign.

Still just take a look at Retalliation which imo is the best campaign ever beats BIS campaigns also.

I am not asking for professional voice acting even bad voice acting would do because it still gives you the feeling that your characters are alive and it adds to immersion.

The location is also important.We have so many great user made islands and still mission makers use BIS islands. I would like to see a Tonal campaign or on CAT Afghanistan.

And size shouldn`t be regarded as a problem.I have a pretty slow connection but whenever I see something wort the download it I wait as long as it takes.

All of the Above.

I'm doing 2 quality campaigns, going to put quite a lot of work on them. My opinion is this: try to make sure you got at least a bit of realism on it - atmosphere is very important - there should be some point in the fighting - try to give some info about the background/situation to the player ie with cutscenes etc. MOST important is to make every single mission carefully and every mission should be somehow unique! That way you guaratee you get lots of downloaders. Good luck. wink_o.gif

Benaksoy!! WTF u got i44 campaign???

Well I think there's a bigger campaign coming up in Holland or something but 1.2 comes with the campaign called "Operation Husky", the invasion on Sicily. I'm only a couple of missions into it but it's awesome so far, very challenging.

I voted for scripting, because you can make the OFP environment very immersive by using them.

Well I think there's a bigger campaign coming up in Holland or something but 1.2 comes with the campaign called "Operation Husky", the invasion on Sicily. I'm only a couple of missions into it but it's awesome so far, very challenging.

i mean where can i download this campaign... i'm dying to play with WW2 stuff smile_o.gif

Would vote "all of the above", but that wouldn't be any help I think. So I voted "characters", because when you get to know the main character and all your fellow teammates, it matters more who stays alive and adds to the motivation of killing the enemy. Nothing gets me more wrapped up in the game than identification with the characters smile_o.gif

I like a measure of realism. I despise suicidal "your squad must capture this entire town with lots of armor". No no no. I like to feel like I'm part of the Army and I'm taking part in a big attack on some town. Or whatever. Mainly I just don't like suicidal attacks. Compare say... the Regina battle in the Retaliation campaign "Clean Up" to the battle in Chapoi in Cold War Crisis "Pathfinder". Pathfinder is a suicidal fight. Clean Up is difficult to be sure, but most definately survivable if you keep your head down.

i mean where can i download this campaign... i'm dying to play with WW2 stuff smile_o.gif

The Invasion 1944 demo is available here;

Invasion 1944 demo 1.2

It is 70MB and the short but fun campaign is included.

I voted 'realism' - of course to accomplish this, a bit a good scripting, and voice acting is required - Don't foget the voices. Silent movies went out of style a loooong time ago.

EditWhen I say realism - I especially mean NO Suicide missions. They are a big turn off when it comes to mission.

I'm doing 2 quality campaigns, going to put quite a lot of work on them.

rock.gif You should know better than coming round these parts saying things like that. Cause we'll hold you to them!! wink_o.gif

Seriously, Operation Mercury was one of the best campaigns Ive seen, good luck with the others.

p.s I voted for Cutscenes, sad I know, but I think thats where OFPs longevity comes from for me, the chance to play Movie Director. smile_o.gif

rock.gif  You should know better than coming round these parts saying things like that.  Cause we'll hold you to them!!   wink_o.gif

Seriously, Operation Mercury was one of the best campaigns Ive seen, good luck with the others.  

p.s I voted for Cutscenes, sad I know, but I think thats where OFPs longevity comes from for me, the chance to play Movie Director.     smile_o.gif

This campaign included "suicede" missions smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

For me "fun" which may include all of the options but equally can exist without any of them! Hard can be good but it has to be fair. I do feel that a lot of recent stuff has been a bit too hard.

Equally realism while a holy grail for many people here can be counter productive and sometimes just being silly can work well.

As for cutscenes and story, they can add if used well but can equally get in the way. Especially if you can't skip out of them. Like CSLA2s epic opening. Great for those who like it but for those who dont hitting escape a couple of times and they're set. I think that a long cutscene bolted onto a mission which has to be watched every time you play it is one of the biggest killers of fun right across the games market.

rock.gif  You should know better than coming round these parts saying things like that.  Cause we'll hold you to them!!   wink_o.gif

p.s I voted for Cutscenes, sad I know, but I think thats where OFPs longevity comes from for me, the chance to play Movie Director.     smile_o.gif

Thanks, mate! Especially comments like yours keeps the project going on. But don't expect the campaign to be ready too soon, they're both still kinda half-done. Haven't had too much time on them lately but soon I will.

@void-false

Excuuuuse me. biggrin_o.gif

Realism, realism, realism and realism.

Modern infantry firefights do not cause huge amount of dead bodies lying everywhere. Only the civilians are killed in hundreds.

I would say that main thing to accomplish realism is to reduce the amount of enemies. Make them run away more easily if they do not like the odds. Increase skill of enemies and place them in difficult places so they have cover. Use the enemies intelligently and maybe try to use scripts that give AI's a little bit more brains.

All of the above, but what impresses me the most is a well thought operation layout, i'm into OPF for the realism and i dont enjoy missions where we must destroy a tank platoon with a law launcher or something like that. A nice scripted operation with realistic feel, a good plan and briefing, from insertion to extraction wink_o.gif .