Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Retaliation campaign now available in English

The only thing I wish was different was for the NATO troops to speak in English with Russian subtitles.

Unfortunately we did not have any chance to get an actor with English native language...

This note to say THANK YOU : this campaign is of very high quality, the details and conversations to increase immersion and realism are well-found and refined...

Well I guess the price to pay for such excellence is downloading those pretty hefty sound files : still, it is definitely worth  every single bit of it.

I happen to experience an unusually high number of CTDs on reloading, though, especially on mission 4 : anyone else going through this ? I play on version 1.96.

But let this not discourage anyone : first because I'm a frequent dier  ghostface.gif, and then because it is a flaw due to the game itself (or my CPU ?), not to the authors.

Anyway, once again, thank you, this campaign ROCKS.  wow_o.gif

The only thing I wish was different was for the NATO troops to speak in English with Russian subtitles.

Unfortunately we did not have any chance to get an actor with English native language...

What do you mean by that?

You didn't ask, or no-one would do it?

Derek

What do you mean by that?

You didn't ask, or no-one would do it?

Derek

Derek, I meant that we had too little time in order to make sound.

And I asked help already here, but only one man gave us response smile_o.gif

Just uploading to #DK# site, will post mirror tomorrow morning when I wake up. smile_o.gif

I'm really enjoying this, it's excellent. Well done chaps.

I'm writing a walkthrough as I go. Comments and suggestions welcome, I'll be happy to incorporate them with credit if you send me a PM here or at OFPEC. (I make no apologies for the supreme crappiness of the page, I've got better things to do that make it look pretty.)

Gentlemen, I must congratulate you on making the best campaign ever. I am enjoying this more than I did enjoy CWC the first time I played it (and believe you me, that was quite a ride). The voice-acting is truly of a superb standard, at first I thought you were re-using soundfiles from one of the original campaigns, the quality was that good. And the humour is excellent, simply spot-on. I am not certain how enjoyable it will be for non-Slavic players, but I believe that the translation does it justice.

I could write tons of comments on the fun little details in the missions, but that would just spoil the fun for other people. Just go play the damn campaign!smile_o.gif

All that remains to be said is: choroshoya rabota!

X.

Campaign spoilers below...

I just LOVE the fighting against the Americans in Everon. You all have found a realistic way to incorporate the player into the Russian side of Cold War Crisis and its amazing. It's incredible to take part in the defense & retreat from Morton (my truck came -this- close to being bombed by a Cobra), or taking my T-80 platoon to Regina and relieving the "encircled" 2nd Company. Best part of the campaign though, and a HUGE spoiler is coming up for you folks who haven't got there yet, is capturing David Armstrong. Just hilarious... "Who is this clown?!"

D\l'ding now, only 6 hours to go!woo hoo!whats the best config to play the campaign in?just straight 1.96?ECP?FDF?whats everyone else doing?

really good campaign if you dont think it is a campaign base on 1985 story line(putting them together will just became a little wired)

Thanks to everyone for response wink_o.gif This is the best award for authors to read a such comments about own work. Thank you!

Derek, yes, we'll try to do it. Huge thanks goes to Winters: he agreed to help with english voices smile_o.gif

Pinetree, I'm quite enjoying it in 1.96 without ECP. You kind of get the feel of an idealised original campaign: that is, it feels a bit like CWC except with all the benefits of Resistance like handguns, etc.. I don't want to add anything fancy on the first play.

Goodspeed, I'd be happy to help out with an English voice, if you don't mind one of the NATO soldiers being Scottish. wow_o.gif Why don't you track down the original actors who played Gastovski, Armstrong, Colonel Blake etc. and see how much they'd charge? I'd certainly chip in for that.

And it's SUCH a pleasure to get some decent music for a change. smile_o.gif

Goodspeed, I'd be happy to help out with an English voice, if you don't mind one of the NATO soldiers being Scottish. wow_o.gif Why don't you track down the original actors who played Gastovski, Armstrong, Colonel Blake etc. and see how much they'd charge? I'd certainly chip in for that.

Hey, that's a really good idea, MacGuba. It would certainly be tons of fun to hear the 'real' voices of Armstrong & co. in a completely different setting (ideologically, I mean;)).

If you are looking for English voice-actors I too would be more than willing to help. However, I am really wondering how you managed to achieve such a high audio-quality. Did you rent a sound-proof studio or something? There is no way I could achieve such quality with my equipment here...:/

Oh and btw, I noticed a small bug (maybe not a bug as such, but it certainly is weird:):

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

When you capture the terrorist leader and he joins your group, you can order him to pick up a weapon and he will fight on your side, firing away at his own men tounge_o.gif My knowledge of OFP editing is limited to 'ThisAddWeapon', hehe, so I can't offer any solutions, but I was wondering whether there was any way to get rid of this somewhat annoying bit. It kind of ruins the GREAT atmosphere the rest of the campaign manages to create.

Dear lord, I should be studying for my exams, but I just can't get enough of this:D

If you are looking for English voice-actors I too would be more than willing to help. However, I am really wondering how you managed to achieve such a high audio-quality. Did you rent a sound-proof studio or something? There is no way I  could achieve such quality with my equipment here...:/

All you need is a good mic and a really good editing program and your set. I am using Sound Forge 7.0 and Cool Edit Pro 2.0, these are both excellent programs, the rest is just practice, practice & practice some more. Of course having some acting ability helps as well wink_o.gif

All you need is a good mic and a really good editing program and your set. I am using Sound Forge 7.0 and Cool Edit Pro 2.0, these are both excellent programs, the rest is just practice, practice & practice some more. Of course having some acting ability helps as well wink_o.gif

Hmm, I'm using Syntrillium's CoolEdit 2000, which has proven to be a rather powerful tool... I might be lacking in the microphone department though. I'm having most trouble with that incessant hiss; no amount of filtering, noise-reduction etc. helps. Or rather, it does get rid of the hiss, but also manages to reduce the sound to a metallic gurgle in the process. Sigh.

Heh, I've had my share of acting-practice in my life, so at least that is sorted:)

I happen to experience an unusually high number of CTDs on reloading, though, especially on mission 4 : anyone else going through this ? I play on version 1.96.

Hmm, yes, I'm afraid I have also had the dubious pleasure of encountering an unusual amount of CTD's, especially on mission CLEAN UP. Things appear to go wrong whenever a new radio message is being loaded. I am however running this campaign under ECP, so it may have something to do with that.

I had one CTD on Friendly Visit, which is the fourth mission if you count the Intro (which is listed as a mission) as the first.   I think I'd just shot both guards when it crashed.   I had no problems at all in Clean Up.    In Sleeping Beaties I had one incident when I heard the radio message and the new Objectives appeared correctly but the main sidechat didn't appear.  No suggestion of a crash on that occasion though, and the same thing happened again when I went throgh it again having been shot shortly afterwards.  tounge_o.gif    1.96 no ECP.

Once or twice I've had gibberish subtitles during cutscenes, usually during NATO sections.

Possible Spoiler:  

Xawery, I had the opposite experience - I tried giving him the gun - more in hope that expectation - and the bastard shot me:  the camera zoomed in on him as killer in the death sequence.     Don't ask me exactly how to do it, but I think it should be perfectly possible to script this.

I don't want to give the wrong impression:  overall this is an extremely well made campaign which I'm enjoying a great deal.  (Except Night Flyer.  sad_o.gif )   For example, in one mission (Black Hawk) if you disobey your orders there is a beautifully simple punishment - the mission doesn't end.

If you haven't d/l Retaliation yet, then start NOW.

Funny thing today. I was replaying the mission "No Way Out", second mission of the campaign. Natural spoilers if you haven't gotten this far. I took Abar's M16 and stole their jeep during the attack to make my get away. But the blasted thing ran out of fuel when I wasn't even halfway down the hill! So I got out and legged it. Look behind me, saw what looked like HUNDREDS of enemy soldiers chasing me. One of those "Oh crap!" moments. Ran like HELL, taking the occassional potshot along the way, until I found somebody's house.

Tried to get into a car, but it was locked. I went to hide in a garden and TADAA! A bright shiny red motorcycle. Hop on, start 'er up and I hear a voice say "Hey! That's my motorcycle! Stop!". And I'm basically like "Go to hell old man, what're you gonna do about it?". Then I heard him shoot at me with one of those -big- single shot hunting rifles. And it was an even bigger "OH CRAP!!!" moment as I sped away with lots of bullets coming my way from that farmer and the guerilla troops.

Anyway, I just find that farmer hilarious in retrospect. Here's this Russian soldier running from an army of bad guys, shooting at him for all they're worth, and he -shot at me- when I tried to get his motorcycle and drive away :-P

Ahhhh this campaign is awesome...

@Antichrist - Night Flyer is just too hard.    To be fair I'm not a chopper expert and maybe some people would find it easy, but I really struggled and I know (from other experiences) that I'm a good average player.    Other than that I thought it was good - I loved the singing gunner.   It's not impossible... I got there in the end.

Spoiler alert!

The two vulcans were very well positioned which made it hard to kill one without being shot down by the other.  Even if you did get them both, the other AA defences (missile, M2 MG and of course the vicious grounded Cobras) were still there to spoil your day.   The missile loons (at least that's what I assume they were) in particular got me several times as I skulked offshore pondering my next move.   And the choppers took off so quickly - you had to take both Vulcans plus something (anything) else in one pass, if you took only one by the time you came back for the other there were two or three Cobras waiting for you.   With all that's going on one Vulcan would have been plenty.

Why do you ask? Did you write it? There are no names in the readme or on the webpage so I don't even know who to thank.

Pinetree, I'm quite enjoying it in 1.96 without ECP. You kind of get the feel of an idealised original campaign: that is, it feels a bit like CWC except with all the benefits of Resistance like handguns, etc.. I don't want to add anything fancy on the first play.

And it's SUCH a pleasure to get some decent music for a change. smile_o.gif

And it's SUCH a pleasure to get some decent music for a change.

Man that is so true. So far I have not heard any of that "rock music" that alot of mod makers seem to love.