Sign in to follow this  
dm

Bas delta/ranger update

yes, they will be in the patch.

And can someone explain to me as to why arm patches are needed. The ranger patch should still be modifyable, but I see no reason why an editable nationality patch is needed. I wouldn't expect anyone to want to change them. I wouldn't want to add an american flag to a dutch unit for example, so why would you want to change an american unit to be something else? I'm totally against it, and the flag patches are IN the arm texture. I did that on purpose :P

i dont really use the rangers

and i also believe they should have the american flags since they are the rangers and there are no black  ops unit of the rangers

just hope the  deltas can be edited in the pbo to remove the american flag

what I meant was that I see no reason to add modifyable nationality patches.

yes, they will be in the patch.

And can someone explain to me as to why arm patches are needed. The ranger patch should still be modifyable, but I see no reason why an editable nationality patch is needed. I wouldn't expect anyone to want to change them. I wouldn't want to add an american flag to a dutch unit for example, so why would you want to change an american unit to be something else? I'm totally against it, and the flag patches are IN the arm texture. I did that on purpose :P

i dont really use the rangers

and i also believe they should have the american flags since they are the rangers and there are no black  ops unit of the rangers

just hope the  deltas can be edited in the pbo to remove the american flag

what I meant was that I see no reason to add modifyable nationality patches.

i agree with that

they are  US troops

but with delta will the american flag stay?

id rather have the delta no flag at all

with rangers its all good

Yeah I don't particularly care for editing the nationality.

Deltas are US and you can't really have them suddenly adopting Ughandan citizenship... lol

I just want the original separate patch functionality which displayed their division to come back... rock.gif

i dont think i would care about the units nationalitys,

what i really care is the weapons, since the silenced weapon

are just too...........wired............ well i underestand that this

is in fact a JAM issus but it would be great if BAS will change it in a future updates(if i remembered correctly suppressor effect the accuracy, not the range nor the power)

keep the flags. nuff' said. You've already said u guys will be addressing the darker textures and making the m4's to scale.. so theres nothing else really 2 do.. except that ground breaking operation that people have wanted from BAS. forgive me for bringing it back up.. Night Vision Goggles on the rangers.

I have only one comment. The helmets are still way to small. sad_o.gif

Can't say anything about that, but if you use the Rander/Deltas on a slower system, the googles doesn't move synchron with the rest (the helmet/Soldier/gun) if u shoot (in the recoil moving). Tested in on a faster system and there it workes really well.

The units are great and the weapons are really excellent! Very nice textures! Especially the silenced MGun and Sniper are awsome!

THX BAS

Mfg MEDICUS

...if i remembered correctly suppressor effect the accuracy, not the range nor the power

Actually, a supressor (used with sub-sonic ammo) will affect all three. The sub-sonic round means that it has less power (in real life a western sub-sonic round will have very little penetrating energy left at over 100m range) and thus not be able to travel as far.

The slower round means that its ballistic trajectory is a lot more arced. This means that the bullet will strike low at extreme range.

We know that the silenced weapons have a few zeroing issues, and this is being rectified in the upcoming patch, so bear with us please.

Quote[/b] ]except that ground breaking operation that people have wanted from BAS. forgive me for bringing it back up.. Night Vision Goggles on the rangers

And its still NOT possible with the current OFP Game engine...

Quote[/b] ]Can't say anything about that, but if you use the Rander/Deltas on a slower system, the googles doesn't move synchron with the rest (the helmet/Soldier/gun) if u shoot (in the recoil moving). Tested in on a faster system and there it workes really well.

This is a game engine bug, where the engine does not handle animated parts of the "hlava" (head) selection as well as parts that are simply modeled on to it.

This means you can have animated goggles that "wobble" a bit (not majorly noticeable) or goggles that dont animate, and thus lose the dust feature on our helicopters.

Quote[/b] ]except that ground breaking operation that people have wanted from BAS. forgive me for bringing it back up.. Night Vision Goggles on the rangers

And its still NOT possible with the current OFP Game engine...

And what is with your own SOARs? Or the nightvision sight from Inquisitor? rock.gif Or have I understand that wrong?

refering to the NVGs, is it not possible to use the method you used with SOAR? or would that conflict with the normal goggles?

(not asking you to add it, just asking out of curiosity)

someone always beats me to it sad_o.gif

All the goggles on the SOAR are are "eyecandy"

They dont actually change the NVG effect at all. (yes the provide a new model to look at, but functionality wise, still the same "old" BIS NVGs)

The NVG's from Inquisitor is a total mod, like HiSky, which replaces the old BIS model and textures in the Data and Data3D pbo's. This means that every unit in the game, US or not, gets the same 3rd generation (brand new) NVGs, which is very unrealistic...

On the SOARs helmet is a visir too. I think that is the same "problem" as with the goggles on rangers helmet.

I think we don't need more than an nightvision with the goggles on helmet, using the BIS nvg

...if i remembered correctly suppressor effect the accuracy, not the range nor the power

Actually, a supressor (used with sub-sonic ammo) will affect all three. The sub-sonic round means that it has less power (in real life a western sub-sonic round will have very little penetrating energy left at over 100m range) and thus not be able to travel as far.

The slower round means that its ballistic trajectory is a lot more arced. This means that the bullet will strike low at extreme range.

We know that the silenced weapons have a few zeroing issues, and this is being rectified in the upcoming patch, so bear with us please.

from what i have heard from a few gun-smith(AR lovers, one of them own 3 M4 style, one with semi, the others with semi and auto) who own suppressor and AR15s, using sub-sonic rounds IRL is not a really good choose, well i dunno, i never fire it on my own, but seems what they said is true rock.gif

if possible i would really like to see the Silenced weapons armed with normal rounds.......

*yet another edit*

Upon further investigation, none of my "20rd 7.62x51 Sniper Mag" reload sounds are playing.

Even stranger, I dug up the M21 sniper that came with JAM and his reload sounds are fine.

I'm guessing the problem is on my end....what's going on? crazy_o.gif

*insert Homer Simpson scream*

crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif My Colt 1911 has 8 rounds!   crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Just checked the official Colt website and the 1991 holds 8....but.....

Seems to be alot of discussion on the suppressed versions, here's my 2c worth.

When designing the SD round for JAM alot of different options were looked at, we feel that the current version (sub-sonic with reduced detectability by the AI) gives better game balance.

A supersonic suppressed round would be the "uber weapon" for players, AI can't detect you, other playrs can't hear you, especially if you're firing from 100's of meters away.

By using the subsonic round, you need to get much closer, (or be able to arc the shot really really well) givng the AI and other players some chance of getting you. In RL the optimal max range for a western subsonic round is just over 100m.

All that needs to be done is for the weapons to be coded properly (something we failed to do in JAM weapons), then the weapons will be easier to use.

SelectThis

re: sub-sonic rounds.

From page 10 of this thread.

I don't know if this was posted anywhere already, but is the weaponpack totally new or? What changes aside from the addition of certain weapons have been made to the weaponpack?

Quote[/b] ]Can't say anything about that, but if you use the Rander/Deltas on a slower system, the googles doesn't move synchron with the rest

I noticed this... which is... egh. It's not just BAS units with goggles that do this to my experience.

I also, again don't know if this was posted, but I saw two white colored squares on the backs of the units heads who wore helmets they were sort of blinky and such. Kind of annoying. Just wondered what it was.

I noticed the comparison sheet that was posted between the newer and older units. How much more detail has been spared for the new ones (poly/texture size wise) in comparison?

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

Can't say anything about that, but if you use the Rander/Deltas on a slower system, the googles doesn't move synchron with the rest

I noticed this... which is... egh. It's not just BAS units with goggles that do this to my experience.

it´s a game engine bug

Quote[/b] ]I also, again don't know if this was posted, but I saw two white colored squares on the backs of the units heads who wore helmets they were sort of blinky and such. Kind of annoying. Just wondered what it was.

reflective cateyes, in order to spot friendlies in combat situations/ column formations.

I also, again don't know if this was posted, but I saw two white colored squares on the backs of the units heads who wore helmets they were sort of blinky and such. Kind of annoying. Just wondered what it was.

crazy_o.gif As stated above, these are cateyes. There are used by almost every US unit right now. Two are placed on the back of the helmet or partol cap to reflect light. These are used to ID friendly units at night. Just like the white stripes on helmets did in WW2 during daylight. Sometimes these are also placed on backpacks when they are so large they cover the back of the head.

They are not annoying, but a vital part of modern warfare. Suchey's Marines also use them.

I thought they were a texture error. As incongruous as that and BAS in the same sentence might be. I just... didn't know what to make of them. Sorry I didn't see your first post about it. Must've missed it.

Well then since they're supposed to be there. They won't bother me anymore. tounge_o.gif

I noticed the comparison sheet that was posted between the newer and older units. How much more detail has been spared for the new ones (poly/texture size wise) in comparison?

the comparison goes beyond size. In the old bis units, a leg contained 3 textures, all of which were a pita to texture across as they did not match the seams in clothing. So trying to edit a cammo pattern to wrap around 3 polys by trial and error ads countless hours of banging your head against the desk. One texture wrapped around the entire leg saves lots of headache, looks better and overall I think would help memory. Now multiply that for the other leg and both arms. Since the problems would need to be addressed for each body part, texturing units has always been a major pain unless you were just doing one color clothing or did not care how it looked. Look at the units that so far have done this. These new units, the marine assault pack, and the new US units (probably others I don't know of as well). It really helps to keep textures looking like they were meant to.

Like I said, it was something i did about a year ago to try and cut down on the headache involved in texturing these units. In the end, the texture memory used would also be lower due to using fewer textures.

But the polys are a bit higher on these. Not bu much compared to the previous pack, but a little.

sorry, off topic... but Tigershark, DeadMeat, do you guys actually check your PM's or not? I've sent one to both of you. Also an E-mail to tigershark... no reply. I think I can help you guys with your bandwidth problem.

I can't for the life of me remember if I've asked this before...if I did you'll have to forgive me. wink_o.gif

But what about the M3?

M3 Recoilless Rifle

Shouldn't the Rangers have this in their inventory? smile_o.gif

I can't for the life of me remember if I've asked this before...if I did you'll have to forgive me. wink_o.gif

But what about the M3?

M3 Recoilless Rifle

Shouldn't the Rangers have this in their inventory? smile_o.gif

Yeah, but not in this version wink_o.gif